Led Zeppelin vs Pear Jam

Comments

• laudenumlaudenum Posts: 405
    pj is by far a better/tighter band. ed's a waaaayyy better singer.
    saw zepp live in 75? one of those things where a band is better on record than live.
    pj blows all other bands out of the water live.
    imho
    "shes stoned said the swede, and the
    mooncalf agreed" THe BANd
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
    aNiMaL wrote:
    Pearl Jam cannot reach Led Zeppelin status until sadly they are no longer a band (hopefully a LONG time from now). Then there is no doubt that they will be with Led Zeppelin and The Beatles, who currently occupy that place together in my mind.

i almost 100% agree. i think more people think zeppelin is better because of how long their music has been around, and everyone and their mom loves led zeppelin. i personally think all around pearl jam is better. maybe a biased opinion but then again i really feel strongly about this, not to say they are a way better band than zeppelin who was one of the greatest, i just think as far as rock n roll bands are concerned pearl jam is the best there is. i don't think they have to be no longer a band though for people to realize this. i just think it will take more time, like maybe 20 more years. look at the stones, they still do shows and they are considered by many to be the best band in the world..............although, i'm not sure who it was but i think it was usa today that called pearl jam "the greatest band rock-n-roll band of all time", anyway i know many who would not disagree with that including myself.
    Matty Boy wrote:
    Led Zeppelin and it's not even close. Pearl Jam is a great band but bands like Zeppelin, The Stones, and The Who are in another class.

how can you say that. what is so much better about their music. and why do you think they are way better musicians? maybe i can answer that for you........because they have reached more of an icon status than pearl jam.
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    I love Pearl Jam but Led Zeppelin by a landslide.

For a poster who says Zeppelin is too much drama live, true, but that's what music was then. It would be like complaining that Pearl jam was grungey on their first couple albums.

I'd like to see the justification for Pearl Jam being more diverse than Zeppelin. Pearl Jam has basically played straight ahead rock and roll their whole career with almost no outside influences. Zeppelin continued to bring in outside influences to rock right up through their last album, remember the samba breakdown in Fool In The Rain.

Even if both bands were tied I'd give it to Zeppelin just on the strength of John Bonham's drumming.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
    i don't know where everyone is getting these ideas that zeppelin is a far superior band and their "musicianship" is far superior to pearl jams'. led zeppelin was great, jimmy page was a great guitar play, bonham was a nasty drummer etc....but how can you say the combination of stone gossard and mike mccready is not great as well, and whatever drummer pearl jam has had, i think matt cameron is pretty sick, you can agrue that bonham was better but come on....lets not get carried away here and forget how great pearl jam actually is. i also think eddie vedder is a way better frontman than plant was, vocally and performance wise. i love led zeppelin but have you ever been to a show or even seen a recording of a show....plant can't compete with vedder...no one connects with an audience like ed. all that being said, i'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that maybe 70% of the people saying zeppelin is "superior" is saying that because when you hear zeppelin talked about, it's all about how they revolutionized rock music and they are one of the greatest all time in their genre. pearl jam is a relatively newer band and words like that aren't thrown around as much with them YET. so i think some people need to form their own opinion on what makes a rock band great, and not just listen to what rock historians have to say, because they all talk about the past. anyway i'm sure a lot of people actually prefer zeppelin also which is fine, they are a great band, and in that case it comes down to a matter of opinion. but i'd go with pearl jam
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    no one connects with an audience like ed. all that being said, i'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that maybe 70% of the people saying zeppelin is "superior" is saying that because when you hear zeppelin talked about, it's all about how they revolutionized rock music and they are one of the greatest all time in their genre. pearl jam is a relatively newer band and words like that aren't thrown around as much with them YET. so i think some people need to form their own opinion on what makes a rock band great, and not just listen to what rock historians have to say, because they all talk about the past. anyway i'm sure a lot of people actually prefer zeppelin also which is fine, they are a great band, and in that case it comes down to a matter of opinion. but i'd go with pearl jam

Led Zeppelin DID revolutionize rock and roll.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    and whatever drummer pearl jam has had, i think matt cameron is pretty sick, you can agrue that bonham was better but come on....
    I think Matt C is a great drummer live but has he written a single memorable and identifiable drum pattern while with Pearl Jam. Not one I can think of. Where as Bonham has a slew of them, Rock N Roll, When The Levee Breaks, Achilles Last Stand, Fool In The Rain. And John Bonham never wrote anything as bad as Evacuation.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
    yosi wrote:
    Led Zeppelin DID revolutionize rock and roll.

agreed. but you're missing the point.......i'm not gonna explain why because i just wrote up a long post, but i think some people will understand what i said.
    surferdude wrote:
    I think Matt C is a great drummer live but has he written a single memorable and identifiable drum pattern while with Pearl Jam. Not one I can think of. Where as Bonham has a slew of them, Rock N Roll, When The Levee Breaks, Achilles Last Stand, Fool In The Rain. And John Bonham never wrote anything as bad as Evacuation.

i was pretty impressed with the drumming on severed hand, just to name one. but we are talking about a band here.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    whose songs did zeppelin have??????????????????????? dumbest shit i ever heard o are you thinking of stairway to heaven written by the backstreet boys
    pretty much all of Led Zeppelin's songs were plagiarised directly from old blues songs.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    pretty much all of Led Zeppelin's songs were plagiarised directly from old blues songs.

start of hwy to heven sounds alot like while my guitar gently weeps.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,242
    saw ZEPP twice full line up way back in the late 70's great shows ,and i've seen PJ 20 times at least, i don't compare the 2 for back then ZEPP RULED for the present time PJ are kings ......
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    agreed. but you're missing the point.......i'm not gonna explain why because i just wrote up a long post, but i think some people will understand what i said.

No, I got your point, I just don't entirely agree with it. I think its fine for people to praise Zeppelin for revolutionizing modern rock and roll, even if historians also say it, because they did.

I am honest to god, blown away every time I listen to Led Zeppelin in a way that I've never felt as consistently by any other band. And to think that that could write/perform the kind of music that they did before rock n' roll really got going the way it did afterwards is truly mind blowing.

One of the reasons I find their first album so incredible, is that I can't imagine what it must have been like, to have never heard hard rock before, and to put on Zeppelin I and hear Good Times and Bad Times kick in. It must have been unreal.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
    yosi wrote:
    No, I got your point, I just don't entirely agree with it. I think its fine for people to praise Zeppelin for revolutionizing modern rock and roll, even if historians also say it, because they did.

I am honest to god, blown away every time I listen to Led Zeppelin in a way that I've never felt as consistently by any other band. And to think that that could write/perform the kind of music that they did before rock n' roll really got going the way it did afterwards is truly mind blowing.

One of the reasons I find their first album so incredible, is that I can't imagine what it must have been like, to have never heard hard rock before, and to put on Zeppelin I and hear Good Times and Bad Times kick in. It must have been unreal.
    i was waiting for you to chime in and i agree with your points....
    but lots of other bands of the day revolutionized rock.
    ten years after
    jethro tull
    emerson lake and palmer
    the who
    yosi wrote:

yeah i agree with everything you say but you did miss the point. because i wasn't saying there is anything wrong with people praising zeppelin for revoulutionizing modern rock and roll, and i happen to think they are one of the best of all time. they are actually one of my top 5 favorite bands. all i was saying was that i think SOME peoples opinion, not all, gets manipulated by all the praise that led zeppelin gets to the point where they are just focusing on zeppelin and not focusing on how great pearl jam actually is as well....and i think that's due to the fact that pearl jam isn't talked about as highly as zeppelin is. anyway i'm not taking anything away from zeppelin or what they did for rock music. they're a great band. i'm just saying if you like pearl jam better than like pearl jam better, there is nothing wrong with it, and they are not beneath any other rock band despite what some people think.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,850
    Todd76 wrote:
    I'm definitely allowed to think they suck....while you may think they are great musicians, that does not make them a great band. There are lots of bands out there that are skilled musicians, but if the music is boring and the vocals are grating and annoying - in my opinion they suck....very overrated. Most of the bands I really like arent going to win any awards for their musicianship, but I am able to connect with some aspect of the music.

yeah Led Zeppelin's music is boring. songs like Black Dog, Immigrant Song, Dancing Days and Good Times Bad Times rock harder than anything Pearl Jam has ever done. Songs like Achilles Last Stand, Stairway To Heaven, Kashmir, In the Light, the Rain Song and When The Levee Breaks are so epic they could have been the soundtrack to Lord of the Rings or something. then you have the songs where Page is just wailing away (How Many More Times, Since I've Been Loving You, You Shook Me)

You don't have to like them but it's dumb to say they suck. for instance, I hate Bruce Springsteen and the Rolling Stones. But I'm not about to say they suck when they have millions of fans and have been very influential to bands like Pearl Jam.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • SLH916SLH916 Posts: 132
    yosi wrote:

Do you consider Led Zeppelin more revolutionary than Black Sabbath? Or maybe The Who? I CAN SEE FOR MILES was pretty transformative.

Would you still choose late Zep?
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    You don't have to like them but it's dumb to say they suck. for instance, I hate Bruce Springsteen and the Rolling Stones. But I'm not about to say they suck when they have millions of fans and have been very influential to bands like Pearl Jam.

Oh come on, now you're just nitpicking semantics. When he says they suck he obviously means he personally doesn't like their music. The exact quote was even "in my opinion, they suck."

I see that all around here, people getting angrier with how people say things than what they're actually saying. It's frustrating.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    yeah Led Zeppelin's music is boring. songs like Black Dog, Immigrant Song, Dancing Days and Good Times Bad Times rock harder than anything Pearl Jam has ever done. Songs like Achilles Last Stand, Stairway To Heaven, Kashmir, In the Light, the Rain Song and When The Levee Breaks are so epic they could have been the soundtrack to Lord of the Rings or something. then you have the songs where Page is just wailing away (How Many More Times, Since I've Been Loving You, You Shook Me)

saying that their music "rocks harder" is "epic" and features Page "wailing away"....really doesnt sell me on anything - its all musical masturbation and that shit is boring IMO

....having millions of fans ain't proof that they dont suck - most people like shitty music

....besides - if I dont like it, it must suck ;)
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
    Todd76 wrote:
    saying that their music "rocks harder" is "epic" and features Page "wailing away"....really doesnt sell me on anything - its all musical masturbation and that shit is boring IMO

....having millions of fans ain't proof that they dont suck - most people like shitty music

....besides - if I dont like it, it must suck ;)

you win
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    ZEPP, PJ BOTH ROCK
    now i win that is all ,besides if you didn't get to see ZEPP LIVE your opinions don't count .....
    ZEPP, PJ BOTH ROCK
    now i win that is all ,besides if you didn't get to see ZEPP LIVE your opinions don't count .....

are you saying that the opinion of people who don't respect Zeppelin and have never seen them live don't count to you? or are you saying that you can't fully respect Zeppelin if you've never seen them?

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    are you saying that the opinion of people who don't respect Zeppelin and have never seen them live don't count to you? or are you saying that you can't fully respect Zeppelin if you've never seen them?
    just trying some sarcasm on you guys but since you put it that way i would agree with both of the points but i would add that you can't really appreciate ZEPP UNLESS YOU EXPERIENCED THEIR LIVE SHOW...
    just trying some sarcasm on you guys but since you put it that way i would agree with both of the points but i would add that you can't really appreciate ZEPP UNLESS YOU EXPERIENCED THEIR LIVE SHOW...

yup just like pj , until ya see them in action,ya havent really experienced them.
  • SLH916SLH916 Posts: 132

What if the show you experienced was a bad, bad, bad one, but you like their studio albums?
  • Dustin51Dustin51 Posts: 222
    When I bought TEN with my allowance and my dad let me put it on after picking me up from the mall he said, "so is this headbanging music?" and I said, "This is the greatest band out there Dad and I really believe they are my generations Led Zepplin". I hate to toot my own horn but holy crap I was so right.

Honest to God its a true story, I'll never forget that conversation.
    Be excellent to each other
    SLH916 wrote:
    What if the show you experienced was a bad, bad, bad one, but you like their studio albums?
    i wasnt very impressed seeing led zepp in 75.
    just too much of....everything

I disagree. I'm only 23 so i've never seen Led Zeppelin. but my appreciation of them already is so high that seeing them live might actually be a little too much. Pearl Jam concerts are awesome. but I don't think I'd even be able to keep my cool at a Zeppelin concert. I'd probably be like "Oh...my...god, they are actually going to play that song right now and i'm going to witness it?" It would be overwhelming for me, though an amazing experience. Ah, if I ever had a time machine.

on the flip side, I don't think seeing them live would help someone like Todd76 like them. if he considers them to be "boring" and their music to be "masterbation" (whatever the hell that means) from their studio albums, I don't know how he's going to survive Moby Dick or White Summer at a concert. I, on the other hand would, just stare in amazement......probably on acid.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    SLH916 wrote:
    both times i saw ZEPP they did not dissapoint me at least or any of my friends that attended the shows with me .....i'm talking about the complete ZEPP with bonzo on drums ........