Led Zeppelin vs Pear Jam

Comments

• SLH916SLH916 Posts: 132
    Er, I just love music.

Good Enough.
  • UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    i dont think led zep is that good. ive never liked anything from them.
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    I don't know if Zep, or their first incarnation as The New Yardbirds, were ever unheard of as such, though, to be fair. Jimmy Page, apart from being well-established in The post-Clapton era Yardbirds (a very high profile band), was a session man's session man with strong industry respect to his credit. He'd long planned a supergroup with Entwhistle and Moony, too. When Dreja dropped out of the initial New Yardbirds project, John Paul Jones was brought in, and he'd already made a good name for himself given his involvement on Their Satanic Majesties' Request, with the Stones. This was a band that was put together, a bit like The Cream, using the best of musicians.
    They were unheard as a vehicle where Jimmy Page was the songwriter. Unlike Pearl Jam where the main songwriter was already established in mainstream music via Mother Love Bone.

I'd love to know the relationship between Eddie Kramer and Jimmy Page. I do know that Page has said he switched from kramer to make sure people realized that he was the man behind the sound and not Kramer. But that may be more ego than reality, who knows. But I've yet to see an interview with Kramer where he tries to take too much credit.

Led Zeppelin weren't the pioneers in inventing things but they were successful in bringing new ideas to the masses. The bands you mention are a bit like Tesla, he may have invented the radio but Marconi gets all the credit. He was just too far from the beaten track for people to take notice. Hawkwind is a bit of a "if a tree falls in a forest and no one is there does it make a sound" kind of band.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
    surferdude wrote:
    They were unheard as a vehicle where Jimmy Page was the songwriter. Unlike Pearl Jam where the main songwriter was already established in mainstream music via Mother Love Bone.

I'd love to know the relationship between Eddie Kramer and Jimmy Page. I do know that Page has said he switched from kramer to make sure people realized that he was the man behind the sound and not Kramer. But that may be more ego than reality, who knows. But I've yet to see an interview with Kramer where he tries to take too much credit.

Led Zeppelin weren't the pioneers in inventing things but they were successful in bringing new ideas to the masses. The bands you mention are a bit like Tesla, he may have invented the radio but Marconi gets all the credit. He was just too far from the beaten track for people to take notice. Hawkwind is a bit of a "if a tree falls in a forest and no one is there does it make a sound" kind of band.

Mother Love Bone was mainstream music? And the main songwriter as in Andy Wood/Stone Gossard?
  • surferdude wrote:

Can, Beefheart and Hawkwind were very popular touring acts in Europe. In the early seventies, there was no Internet of course, and there was quite a divide between bands on both sides of the pond. Zep really made their bread in the States, whereas Beefheart was more appreciated here. Lots of people - musicians particularly - were influenced by these acts. I'd venture to argue that Hawkwind's influence is immeasurably larger than Zep's, in that they influenced Space Rock, punk, synth pop, contemporary electronic classical music, dance, rave, trip hop, garage and drum and bass, as well as the continuing evolution of folk rock. I'm not sure Zep's sphere of influence is that broad, outside of conventional rock.
  • Plus, Hawkwind had Miss Stacia. She left two huge impressions on rock. :D
    Plus, Hawkwind had Miss Stacia. She left two huge impressions on rock. :D
    This side of the pond Hawkwind is pretty much unheard of, and Captain Beefheart may have been heard of (though unlikely) but I don't know a single person who could name a song by them.
    ~ Bob Marley
    surferdude wrote:
    This side of the pond Hawkwind is pretty much unheard of, and Captain Beefheart may have been heard of (though unlikely) but I don't know a single person who could name a song by them.

You've probably heard of them as Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band or just the Magic Band. They're best-known album was Trout Mask Replica. I'm from California, so when I was in college, listening to Captain Beefheart was cooler than listening to Pink Floyd and way cooler than listening to Led Zeppelin.

The White Stripes covered some of their tunes a while back.

I think that FinsburyParkCarrots would know this better than me, but I think that Captain Beefheart isn't better known because he dropped out of music to become an artist.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    im voting PJ on this one.
    a hard choice tho really.
    i guess im more in tune or flow with PJ music more so than LZ
    although i have a intersting thought.
    id like to hear PJ do a few zed leppelin tunes.
    no quarter, immigrant song, kashmir, whole lotta love.
    just to name a few.
    songs like these totaly f'in rock.
    PJ does a kickin ass job on that rain down on me tune from the who.
    so yea, i wanna hear PJ do some zeppelin.
    perhaps release a cd of nothing but cover tunes.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • TwatayTwatay Posts: 64
    surferdude wrote:
    ...Unlike Pearl Jam where the main songwriter was already established in mainstream music via Mother Love Bone...

when was mother love bone ever established in mainstream music????
  • webberf1webberf1 Posts: 160
    Pearl Jam. I love Led Zeppelin, but it doesnt quite hit me like PJ.

Led Zeppelin no doubt had overall superior musicianship, but i think PJ have become the better overall BAND, and thats what matters. PJ have been consistently awesome throughout their career, unlike LZ who dropped off majorly towards the end until they split up. They say the greatest test of all is the test of time, and i think PJ passes that test ahead of LZ. And lets face it, PJ have a far more diverse catalogue than LZ ever did.
  • rage333rage333 Posts: 157
    AS much as I love PJ, I would have to give this to Led Zeppelin.
    "when the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will be at peace"-Jimi Hendrix
  • azwyldcatsazwyldcats Posts: 703
    Kind of a silly premise...
    And I'm not living this life without you, I'm selfish and clear
    And you're not leaving here without me, I don't wanna be without
    My best... friend. Wake up, to see you could have it all
    Twatay wrote:
    when was mother love bone ever established in mainstream music????
    MLB was pretty much hair metal in the hayday of hair metal bands. The label was shocked that Apple did not sell millions. They were a big signing at the time. Stone and Ament helped write every MLB song. The label knew exactly what they were getting when signing PJ. PJ was Stone's band back then.

Can anyone explain to me how PJ's music is diverse. LZ stuck to rock with outside influences. PJ has way fewer outside influences, at least that I hear.
    ~ Bob Marley
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    SLH916 wrote:
    Do you consider Led Zeppelin more revolutionary than Black Sabbath? Or maybe The Who? I CAN SEE FOR MILES was pretty transformative.

Would you still choose late Zep?

I think that both those bands are also incredibly influential, and The Who are one of my all time favorites. Personal preference, I like Zeppelin more. To say they are better is like choosing apples and oranges.

It's hard for me to say as much about Sabbath. I think they are incredibly important, as far as hard rock goes, and definitely a talented band. I think because they were not as main stream or as big as Zeppelin was (and correct me if I'm wrong, I'm no historian, and didn't live through it), that their influence wasn't felt as greatly as Zeppelin's.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    The only band that has come close to Zeppelin since Zeppelin quit is Guns N' Roses. They are the only band who has had the same sort of style, musical prowess, and charisma. Unfortunately for GnR there singer turned into a recluse hermit, but we'll always have "Appetite For Destruction". Pearl Jam just doesn't have that classic combo of Axl/Slash and Page/Plant. Pearl Jam is Eddie Vedder to the general public. Stone and Mike just don't have that special thing that Slash and Page have. Pearl Jam is sort of like The Doors in a way as both bands singers are the stars of the band.
  • laudenumlaudenum Posts: 405
    Matty Boy wrote:
    The only band that has come close to Zeppelin since Zeppelin quit is Guns N' Roses. They are the only band who has had the same sort of style, musical prowess, and charisma. Unfortunately for GnR there singer turned into a recluse hermit, but we'll always have "Appetite For Destruction". Pearl Jam just doesn't have that classic combo of Axl/Slash and Page/Plant. Pearl Jam is Eddie Vedder to the general public. Stone and Mike just don't have that special thing that Slash and Page have. Pearl Jam is sort of like The Doors in a way as both bands singers are the stars of the band.

oh god...gnr was the worst. shouldnt even be mentioned in the same breath as pj. selfindulgent crap.
    "shes stoned said the swede, and the
    mooncalf agreed" THe BANd
    yosi wrote:
    I think that both those bands are also incredibly influential, and The Who are one of my all time favorites. Personal preference, I like Zeppelin more. To say they are better is like choosing apples and oranges.

It's hard for me to say as much about Sabbath. I think they are incredibly important, as far as hard rock goes, and definitely a talented band. I think because they were not as main stream or as big as Zeppelin was (and correct me if I'm wrong, I'm no historian, and didn't live through it), that their influence wasn't felt as greatly as Zeppelin's.

It's tough to be young. I remember when John Bonham died, and I remember when Ozzie was kicked out of Black Sabbath.

I'm not the historian FinsburyParkCarrots is, so I hate to argue this. But I actually think that Sabbath is way more influential than Zep even though I like Zep a LOT more. Sabbath really pioneered alternate tunings and that heavy, heavy sound.

Zep maybe had too much virtuosity with Page, Plant, Jones and Bonham. It's really hard to imitate that. Even they had trouble keeping up with it in their later years. On the other hand, every teenage band is playing IRON MAN, even Eddie on ukelele.

Listen to the vocal and guitar lines of these nu-metal people. They aren't coming from Led Zeppelin. They're glossier, but they're coming from Sabbath.

I'm old, so what do I know, anyway?
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Matty Boy wrote:

You just won't pass up any opportunity to hail GNR, will you? I mean, I like them as much as the next guy, but the way you worship them is just unrealistic.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Matty Boy wrote:
    guns was really good but axl wanted to be more like madonna or cher with the videos and the ridiculous tacky costume changes he had going on and his great big asshole ego ruined a good thing. also their catalog is so small they can't be put in the same class as either PJ or Zep. the pressure of the grunge era scared axl into seclusion. pearl jam crushes gun's IMO. vedder/mccready
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
    guns was really good but axl wanted to be more like madonna or cher with the videos and the ridiculous tacky costume changes he had going on and his great big asshole ego ruined a good thing. also their catalog is so small they can't be put in the same class as either PJ or Zep. the pressure of the grunge era scared axl into seclusion. pearl jam crushes gun's IMO. vedder/mccready

I think that you are right, but Axl is quite a song writer. I guess we'll find out if he still has it, soon.

Pearl Jam is one up on Axl/Slash or Plant/Page. They've got Vedder/McCready/Gossard.
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    SLH916 wrote:
    I think that you are right, but Axl is quite a song writer. I guess we'll find out if he still has it, soon.

Pearl Jam is one up on Axl/Slash or Plant/Page. They've got Vedder/McCready/Gossard.

My point was that Vedder is the big public star just like Morrison was to The Doors. Stone, Mike, Ray, and Robbie were all very important to there respective bands, but none are stars.

Everybody seems to have forgotten now that Guns N' Roses were the biggest band when they were around just like Zeppelin was in their day. Saying Grunge killed GnR is like saying Punk Rock killed Zeppelin(I know John Bonham Dying was the reason Zeppelin broke up, but the press would make you believe that punk killed off prog rock of the 70's). It's just a fabrication made up by the media. You can hate GnR and Zeppelin all you want but if you think that Punk rock or Grunge killed either band you're dead wrong. It's just like how the press played up Nirvana after Cobains death. Pearl Jam was bigger than Nirvana before Cobain died and they're still bigger than Nirvana but you would never hear anybody in the media say that.

Some of you guys on here would be calling Zeppelin cock rockers if they were around at the same time as Pearl Jam, just like some you guys like to call GnR cock rockers. Go listen to your Kings Of Leon/White Stripes/Modest Mouse, but as for me, I'll be listening to The Stones, Zeppelin, GnR, and Pearl Jam. Feel free to slag Axl all you want but he'll have his shot whenever he decides to release "Chinese Democracy".
  • Matty Boy wrote:
    My point was that Vedder is the big public star just like Morrison was to The Doors. Stone, Mike, Ray, and Robbie were all very important to there respective bands, but none are stars.

Everybody has forgotten now that Guns N' Roses were the biggest band when they were around just like Zeppelin was in there day. Saying Grunge killed GnR is like saying Punk Rock killed Zeppelin(I know John Bonham Dying was the reason Zeppelin broke up, but the press would make you believe that punk killed off prog rock of the 70's). It's just a fabrication made up my the media. You can hate GnR and Zeppelin all you want but if you think that Punk rock or Grunge killed either band you're dead wrong. It's just like how the press played up Nirvana after Cobains death. Pearl Jam was bigger than Nirvana before Cobain died and they're still bigger than Nirvana but you would never hear anybody in the media say that.

Some of you guys on here would be calling Zeppelin cock rockers if they were around at the same time as Pearl Jam, just like some you guys like to call GnR cock rockers. Go listen to your Kings Of Leon/White Stripes/Modest Mouse, but as for me, I'll be listening to The Stones, Zeppelin, GnR, and Pearl Jam. Feel free to slag Axl all you want but he'll have his shot whenever he decides to release "Chinese Democracy".
    you got me wrong i didn't say it killed gun's i said scared axl..he loved looking at himself in the mirror and being in the spotlight making million dollar videos and playing dress up when he should have put that effort into more writing...he was very fucking good at it. i love everything gun's ever did. but sorry they just didn't do enough to join the elite all time legend category along with Zep and PJ
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • Alex_CoeAlex_Coe Posts: 762
    Within a decade or so, Pearl Jam may surpass Led Zeppelin... but not because of the group disbanding. That would greatly increase Pearl Jam's legendary status... but Pearl Jam will (not) disband any time soon.

Pearl Jam, I think, will continue to rock face long into the next decade.

But that time will come when PJ surpasses Zep musically. Pearl Jam will surpass Zeppelin as soon as McCready writes the greatest rock song ever... which will happen. Probably.
  • Soundgarden is definatley comparable to Zepplin. Don't know about Pearl Jam though, I think that their longevity has worked against them in addition to good but not great albums.
  • laudenum wrote:
    pj is by far a better/tighter band. ed's a waaaayyy better singer.
    saw zepp live in 75? one of those things where a band is better on record than live.
    pj blows all other bands out of the water live.
    imho
    Looks like I missed out on 8 pages or so of arguing but I can't believe you guys ignored this comment. Dead on.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
    Matty Boy wrote:

Everybody seems to have forgotten now that Guns N' Roses were the biggest band when they were around just like Zeppelin was in their day. Saying Grunge killed GnR is like saying Punk Rock killed Zeppelin(I know John Bonham Dying was the reason Zeppelin broke up, but the press would make you believe that punk killed off prog rock of the 70's). It's just a fabrication made up by the media. You can hate GnR and Zeppelin all you want but if you think that Punk rock or Grunge killed either band you're dead wrong. It's just like how the press played up Nirvana after Cobains death. Pearl Jam was bigger than Nirvana before Cobain died and they're still bigger than Nirvana but you would never hear anybody in the media say that.

This happens to me in real life, too. Every discussion of Led Zeppelin turns into a discussion of every other band you've ever listened to. There is just something about the Zep, maybe it has something to do with all of the songs they "borrowed." There is also a fanatical need to defend them from all challengers, maybe because of the extreme crappiness of their late period.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I think that Axl is a better songwriter than Plant/Page even if he doesn't have as big a catalogue.

Also, are you saying that we Kings of Leon/White Stripes/Modest Mouse fans can't also be Stones/Zep/GnR/Pearl Jam fans? Can we have a thread devoted to Kings of Leon/White Stripes/Modest Mouse fans vs. Stones/Zep/GnR/Pearl Jam fans?

Can we do something about the fact that we are comparing Led Zeppelin to PEAR Jam, it's tasty but not musical?
    Looks like I missed out on 8 pages or so of arguing but I can't believe you guys ignored this comment. Dead on.

thank u...
    i think alot of the hail zepp fans,only know them from recordings.
    live? posturing, not even particularly good drum solos theres way better.
    sound was awfull. zepp cant even hold a candle to pj imho.
    ive seen alot of the bands that were around in zepps day, even they were better.
    Matty Boy wrote:

yup eds pretty public.
    what?
  • Soundgarden is definatley comparable to Zepplin. Don't know about Pearl Jam though, I think that their longevity has worked against them in addition to good but not great albums.
    wow soundgarden is good but not even in the same league PJ and zep are in. they never have been and never will be. Pj and Zep both have something special as a whole that is very rare. yeah maybe cornell is a real strong singer comparable to plant.. but as a whole with the band lyrically and musically they don't fit in with the super elite groups PJ or Zep.. just MHOP anyway.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me