Led Zeppelin vs Pear Jam

Comments

• Led Zeppelin is the best ever.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
    Soundgarden is definatley comparable to Zepplin. Don't know about Pearl Jam though, I think that their longevity has worked against them in addition to good but not great albums.

GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE! ARE YOU SERIOUS!? with the zeppelin pearl jam talk it's all a matter of opinion....but to bring soundgarden into it just makes no sense. soundgarden was a GOOD band, maybe even a VERY GOOD band, but pearl jam and led zeppelin are both on a completely different level.
  • laudenumlaudenum Posts: 405
    GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE! ARE YOU SERIOUS!? with the zeppelin pearl jam talk it's all a matter of opinion....but to bring soundgarden into it just makes no sense. soundgarden was a GOOD band, maybe even a VERY GOOD band, but pearl jam and led zeppelin are both on a completely different level.
    pjs on a way higher level.......in fact so high ya cant even see them
    "shes stoned said the swede, and the
    mooncalf agreed" THe BANd
  • DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    this is odd. a pearl jam fan club thread yet tons of people like zeppelin better? i love zeppelin but pearl jam by miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiles..to me they are the pinnacle of all music. they are it. they changed my life. i thought thats how everyone here felt. oh well.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Zep has some good jams and some classic albums, but I would take Pearl Jam hands down.

Simply stated, they are my favorite ever. I know many will disagree, but in my eyes nobody holds a candle to them.
    Oh he fills it up with the love of a girl...
  • how can you say that. what is so much better about their music. and why do you think they are way better musicians? maybe i can answer that for you........because they have reached more of an icon status than pearl jam.
    No, its called understanding music. They are way better musicians, basically invented a style of music, and wrote songs that Pearl Jam could never dream of writing.
  • i don't know where everyone is getting these ideas that zeppelin is a far superior band and their "musicianship" is far superior to pearl jams'. led zeppelin was great, jimmy page was a great guitar play, bonham was a nasty drummer etc....but how can you say the combination of stone gossard and mike mccready is not great as well, and whatever drummer pearl jam has had, i think matt cameron is pretty sick, you can agrue that bonham was better but come on....lets not get carried away here and forget how great pearl jam actually is. i also think eddie vedder is a way better frontman than plant was, vocally and performance wise. i love led zeppelin but have you ever been to a show or even seen a recording of a show....plant can't compete with vedder...no one connects with an audience like ed. all that being said, i'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that maybe 70% of the people saying zeppelin is "superior" is saying that because when you hear zeppelin talked about, it's all about how they revolutionized rock music and they are one of the greatest all time in their genre. pearl jam is a relatively newer band and words like that aren't thrown around as much with them YET. so i think some people need to form their own opinion on what makes a rock band great, and not just listen to what rock historians have to say, because they all talk about the past. anyway i'm sure a lot of people actually prefer zeppelin also which is fine, they are a great band, and in that case it comes down to a matter of opinion. but i'd go with pearl jam
    No one's going to say Pearl Jam revolutionized anything in music, because they haven't. Zeppelin did. Gossard and McCready are pretty good as a unit, but Page is one of the greatest guitarists of all time. Any musician can hear how much more talented Zeppelin was than Pearl Jam by comparing their studio albums and live performances. Its not something you can really explain, just how the instruments work together and the playing are far superior to Pearl Jam. Now if you just like how Ed's voice sounds and like the style of songs Pearl Jam plays more than Zeppelin, that's cool. But musically its such a no contest, seriously.
  • laudenum wrote:
    but lots of other bands of the day revolutionized rock.
    ten years after
    jethro tull
    emerson lake and palmer
    the who
    What the hell did Ten Years After do to revolutionize rock? ELP, Jethro Tull? The Who didn't really change anything either. That's almost as bad as people saying Guns N' Roses revolutionzed rock music...no they didn't, they were just a popular rock band. Popularity doesn't equal influence.
  • No one's going to say Pearl Jam revolutionized anything in music, because they haven't. Zeppelin did. Gossard and McCready are pretty good as a unit, but Page is one of the greatest guitarists of all time. Any musician can hear how much more talented Zeppelin was than Pearl Jam by comparing their studio albums and live performances. Its not something you can really explain, just how the instruments work together and the playing are far superior to Pearl Jam. Now if you just like how Ed's voice sounds and like the style of songs Pearl Jam plays more than Zeppelin, that's cool. But musically its such a no contest, seriously.
    jimmy page was like the magical mixer..he dubbed the shit out of most of those studio releases so well it was impossible to do alot of it live..pearl jam live.. well you should know. pearl jam also revolutionized music..don't you remember the hair bands they put to rest when ten was released? PJ were the front runners in a whole new generation of music, the same as how it was with zeppelin.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • jimmy page was like the magical mixer..he dubbed the shit out of most of those studio releases so well it was impossible to do alot of it live..pearl jam live.. well you should know. pearl jam also revolutionized music..don't you remember the hair bands they put to rest when ten was released? PJ were the front runners in a whole new generation of music, the same as how it was with zeppelin.
    Zeppelin separated their studio side and their live side. In the studio they were very meticulous with Jimmy getting all the overdubs exactly how he wanted and such. Live, they were a spontaneous hard rocking beast. The band made up for the lack of subtleties with their explosive performances. I have personally heard performances of Ten Years Gone and Achilles Last Stand, probably the two most overdubbed songs in Zeppelin's catalog, and Jimmy pulled both off beautifully. I gotta ask, have you actually listened to any live Zeppelin, or did you just hear Stairway and think "wow I bet they don't do that recorder part live...pussies"? And being popular isn't revolutionizing music, Pearl Jam didn't do anything new to run the hair metallers out of town, they still had big vocals and riffs and guitar solos. They just wrote songs that spoke to their generation. And Nirvana were the frontrunners, by the way.
  • No one's going to say Pearl Jam revolutionized anything in music, because they haven't. Zeppelin did. Gossard and McCready are pretty good as a unit, but Page is one of the greatest guitarists of all time. Any musician can hear how much more talented Zeppelin was than Pearl Jam by comparing their studio albums and live performances. Its not something you can really explain, just how the instruments work together and the playing are far superior to Pearl Jam. Now if you just like how Ed's voice sounds and like the style of songs Pearl Jam plays more than Zeppelin, that's cool. But musically its such a no contest, seriously.

I agree, except I wouldn't put down PJ's talent level at any position. and PJ's song writing is just as thoughtfully constructed. PJ is certainly not far lesser music by any means.

Zep re-invented the wheel to such a degree and so damn good that it runs through all hard rock. Good and bad, its obviously been the most influential music. PJ is one of the best, still. They are really right there, IMO.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • Zeppelin separated their studio side and their live side. In the studio they were very meticulous with Jimmy getting all the overdubs exactly how he wanted and such. Live, they were a spontaneous hard rocking beast. The band made up for the lack of subtleties with their explosive performances. I have personally heard performances of Ten Years Gone and Achilles Last Stand, probably the two most overdubbed songs in Zeppelin's catalog, and Jimmy pulled both off beautifully. I gotta ask, have you actually listened to any live Zeppelin, or did you just hear Stairway and think "wow I bet they don't do that recorder part live...pussies"? And being popular isn't revolutionizing music, Pearl Jam didn't do anything new to run the hair metallers out of town, they still had big vocals and riffs and guitar solos. They just wrote songs that spoke to their generation. And Nirvana were the frontrunners, by the way.
    i've been listening to zeppelin since i was 7 i'm 38 now. i've heard everything possible. i still have my old bootlegs from the 70's on 8 track and lp. not to mention tons of remastered stuff on cd. they are my favorite band. i followed the first plant tour of the u.s. every city but two. and most of the second round and both page plant reunion tours. i can't say pearl jam is better than ZEP just equal to.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • wow soundgarden is good but not even in the same league PJ and zep are in. they never have been and never will be. Pj and Zep both have something special as a whole that is very rare. yeah maybe cornell is a real strong singer comparable to plant.. but as a whole with the band lyrically and musically they don't fit in with the super elite groups PJ or Zep.. just MHOP anyway.

Really......well okay. McCreedy is no better then Thayil and well Matt is the best drummer Pearl Jam has ever had. But as far as I am concerned that super elite stuff is complete crap, sorry. But hey, it is the Pearl Jam board and I am a massive SG fan-didn't expect any different.
  • SLH916SLH916 Posts: 132
    Zeppelin separated their studio side and their live side. In the studio they were very meticulous with Jimmy getting all the overdubs exactly how he wanted and such. Live, they were a spontaneous hard rocking beast. The band made up for the lack of subtleties with their explosive performances. I have personally heard performances of Ten Years Gone and Achilles Last Stand, probably the two most overdubbed songs in Zeppelin's catalog, and Jimmy pulled both off beautifully. I gotta ask, have you actually listened to any live Zeppelin, or did you just hear Stairway and think "wow I bet they don't do that recorder part live...pussies"? And being popular isn't revolutionizing music, Pearl Jam didn't do anything new to run the hair metallers out of town, they still had big vocals and riffs and guitar solos. They just wrote songs that spoke to their generation. And Nirvana were the frontrunners, by the way.

Is Zeppelin your favorite band?

We can't debate based on our opinions, but if you've heard live Zeppelin, you must know that after a certain point Plant had no where near Ed's intensity, or his voice.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    pfft

zeppelin are overrated
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    this is odd. a pearl jam fan club thread yet tons of people like zeppelin better? i love zeppelin but pearl jam by miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiles..to me they are the pinnacle of all music. they are it. they changed my life. i thought thats how everyone here felt. oh well.

Nope. For me, I certainly love Pearl Jam, their music obviously touches me, and I think they are a great band. But do I think they were the best, most talented band? The pinnacle of music? No way. Just an awesome fun band to listen to.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • edwhoedwho Posts: 811
    Song “IF YOU CAN'T ROCK ME”
    Artist The Strikes
    Song writer Willie Jacobs
    Year Released 1956

Lyric sample: “Well if you can't rock me, I'll find me somebody who can”

~

Artist The Rolling Stones
    Song writers Mick Jagger/Keith Richards
    Year Released 1974

Lyric sample: “If you can't rock me, somebody will”

~

Artist Brian Setzer Orchestra
    Song writer Brian Setzer
    Year Released 2000

Lyric sample: “If you can't rock me, Don't be tellin' me I'm your man”

~

Led Zeppelin haters :p:p Led Zeppelin just happened to be the best at everything they did :D move on!

Is anything or was anything ever original in music?

Pearl Jam rules the day :)

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

• SLH916 wrote:
    Is Zeppelin your favorite band?

We can't debate based on our opinions, but if you've heard live Zeppelin, you must know that after a certain point Plant had no where near Ed's intensity, or his voice.
    No Zeppelin isn't my favorite band, they once were, they actually replaced Pearl Jam as my favorite band a long time ago and have since been replaced. I think I see the pattern here. Pearl Jam fans in general listen for the vocals and the message of the song more than the actual music. Vocals come in a distant second to me in terms of interest, I'm mostly about the music. Eddie Vedder is the shit, and he's much better at this stage than Plant, Plant blew his voice out singing so high for so long. In fact, Vedder is so good he completely outshines the rest of Pearl Jam. The music's pretty good, but none of the other members have a very distinct style. They're all good players but kinda bland. With Zeppelin, each member of the band had a very distinct musical personality, no one really outshone anyone else. I think that's why I enjoy them more, they seem more like a full band effort and the individual musicians have styles of their own that meld into the best rock music ever.
    No Zeppelin isn't my favorite band, they once were, they actually replaced Pearl Jam as my favorite band a long time ago and have since been replaced. I think I see the pattern here. Pearl Jam fans in general listen for the vocals and the message of the song more than the actual music. Vocals come in a distant second to me in terms of interest, I'm mostly about the music. Eddie Vedder is the shit, and he's much better at this stage than Plant, Plant blew his voice out singing so high for so long. In fact, Vedder is so good he completely outshines the rest of Pearl Jam. The music's pretty good, but none of the other members have a very distinct style. They're all good players but kinda bland. With Zeppelin, each member of the band had a very distinct musical personality, no one really outshone anyone else. I think that's why I enjoy them more, they seem more like a full band effort and the individual musicians have styles of their own that meld into the best rock music ever.

If you don't mind my asking, who is your favorite band today, and where do Pearl Jam and Led Zeppelin place in your best of list now?
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    aNiMaL wrote:
    The problem I had with your original statement was the accusation of "plagiarism" and "pretty much all of Led Zeppelin's songs." There is a list of some songs.....but it is FAR from most of their material. And being influenced by is different than plagiarism.

For someone who claims to be a big fan of theirs, you sure did jump at the chance to continue the false accusations that they were nothing but hacks (that is what you implied by your choice of words)....which couldn't be further from the truth.
    firstly, whether or not its a bad thing, it WAS plagiarism. many tunes and lyrics were lifted DIRECTLY from these blues songs, not just influenced by them and secondly, just because I am a fan of a bands music that does not mean that I don't recognise that the original comment was true, hence my agreement with it. what you re failing to grasp is that I accept that Led Zeppelin were groundbreaking without being particularly original. I wasn't questioning their worth but merely stating a fact.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • SLH916 wrote:
    If you don't mind my asking, who is your favorite band today, and where do Pearl Jam and Led Zeppelin place in your best of list now?
    My favorite band now is the Mars Volta. I've started to like a lot of jazz and ethnic music and those have kinda pushed a lot of the 90s stuff I listened to for so long. I really don't have a best of list, sorry if that's a cop out but I tried making one and it always seemed wrong. I wouldn't say Pearl Jam is even on my non-existent "list" anymore, though they hold a special place in my heart because they were my favorite band for 3 years. Zeppelin is still up there though, top 5 for sure.
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421

That's exactly the way I feel about Pearl Jam.
  • Really......well okay. McCreedy is no better then Thayil and well Matt is the best drummer Pearl Jam has ever had. But as far as I am concerned that super elite stuff is complete crap, sorry. But hey, it is the Pearl Jam board and I am a massive SG fan-didn't expect any different.
    there's one key ingredient that when added to the mix sparked the something special i'm talking about: EDDIE combined together with him they made this rare combination that worked so well they are now being talked about in the same sentence as LED ZEPPELIN. I don't see cornell being invited to join Plant , Jagger, T.petty , N. Young , Daultry , Bono , ect.. ect.. on stage. matter of fact I can't think of any other time Plant has ever joined together with any other lead singer and sang a Zep song. I love soundgarden too...but c'mon seriously
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
    Robert Plant & Tori Amos Down By The Seaside

~ Live ~

Jimmy Page / Robert Plant Shoreline 1995 - The Battle Of Evermore with Najma Akhtar

RnR Hof 1995 - Bring It On Home with Steven Tyler

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

• I like PJ better. Led zeppelin were pretty damn good though.
  • edwho wrote:
    Robert Plant & Tori Amos Down By The Seaside
    good call i forgot about that one..that was only studio though right?
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
    there's one key ingredient that when added to the mix sparked the something special i'm talking about: EDDIE combined together with him they made this rare combination that worked so well they are now being talked about in the same sentence as LED ZEPPELIN. I don't see cornell being invited to join Plant , Jagger, T.petty , N. Young , Daultry , Bono , ect.. ect.. on stage. matter of fact I can't think of any other time Plant has ever joined together with any other lead singer and sang a Zep song. I love soundgarden too...but c'mon seriously

You've put your finger on something that I've completely taken forgranted until thinking about the old live Led Zeppelin shows, and why they left me wanting more. Eddie is just magic, live. We have continual debates about drummers and whether Eddie should play guitar and whether his voice now is any good any more, but when he gets onstage, something just happens to him.

How many dozens of concerts have you been to by anyone? I've been to a lot, and I've never seen someone so "on" live so consistently. What he does kind of transcends Pearl Jam's music. That may have been true for Zep once, but not when I was around to experience them. I guess the only people who can really comment on this thread are those who have seen Zep live at the peak of their powers.
    somebodyelse'ssky, at the moment I can’t think of another singer that had ever shared the stage with Led Zeppelin, ever. Page, Jones and John Henry sang all the backup vocals live. JPJ sang “The Battle Of Evermore” duet on the 1977 tour. Other musicians have joined the band live like Ron Wood in 1975 (New York) for “Communication breakdown” and Keith Moon helped John Bonham with Moby Dick in 1977 (California).

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

• laudenumlaudenum Posts: 405
    What the hell did Ten Years After do to revolutionize rock? ELP, Jethro Tull? The Who didn't really change anything either. That's almost as bad as people saying Guns N' Roses revolutionzed rock music...no they didn't, they were just a popular rock band. Popularity doesn't equal influence.

good god
    "shes stoned said the swede, and the
    mooncalf agreed" THe BANd
  • edwho wrote:
    somebodyelse'ssky, at the moment I can’t think of another singer that had ever shared the stage with Led Zeppelin, ever. Page, Jones and John Henry sang all the backup vocals live. JPJ sang “The Battle Of Evermore” duet on the 1977 tour. Other musicians have joined the band live like Ron Wood in 1975 (New York) for “Communication breakdown” and Keith Moon helped John Bonham with Moby Dick in 1977 (California).
    somebody said steven tyler in 95 at the RRHOF but i didn't see that.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me