Worst voice in rock history...

Comments

• stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    I was just responding to someone stating (obviously without any knowledge of the subject) that the SP never won awards for their songs or something.

Cool, i didnt actually see anyone say that.

Im not doubting his song writing, love some of the stuff he's written but his voice is really whiny in my opinion.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • oppie1oppie1 Posts: 755
    They're total shit. Oasis is quite good at times. At least they had Wonderwall and Champagne Supernova.
    and thats all they had
    BoyHitsCar Masked Street Team
    www.lovecorealliance.com

Upcoming boyhitscar concerts:
    11/7/07 - Allentown Pa
    11/11/07 - Hartford Ct

www.myspace.com/briankutys
    Many more people would agree that bands like Lamb of God and Mudvayne are actual shit than people would with Oasis.
    its ok.. u dont get it.. no problem.. if you wanna listened to processed cock-rock.. by all means.. bore yourself to death with it...
    www.lovecorealliance.com

11/7/07 - Allentown Pa
    11/11/07 - Hartford Ct

• oppie1 wrote:
    and thats all they had
    I'd rather two of the finest pop rock songs ever written then absolutely god awful nu metal shit.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
    I'd rather two of the finest pop rock songs ever written then absolutely god awful nu metal shit.

mudvayne nor lamb of god are nu metal... they're just metal... theres a difference...
    www.lovecorealliance.com

11/7/07 - Allentown Pa
    11/11/07 - Hartford Ct

• oppie1 wrote:
    mudvayne nor lamb of god are nu metal... they're just metal... theres a difference...
    "Metal"'s definition changes every 3 or 4 years. It's just dropped tunings, songs that revolve around the same tempos and rhythms, and people that can't sing. It's shit. Lamb of God I'll give you but Mudvayne is for the nu metal kids.

"Make our day"
    "Metal"'s definition changes every 3 or 4 years. It's just dropped tunings, songs that revolve around the same tempos and rhythms, and people that can't sing. It's shit. Lamb of God I'll give you but Mudvayne is for the nu metal kids.
    have you actually sat and listened to mudvayne? chad probablly has the best voice/scream in metal(listen to Severed off LD50, yeah.. the chorus is layered, but still.listen to it)... Ryan is fan-fucking-tastic on bass (listen to his bassline on Internal Primates Forever), and Matt can kill on the kit....they're just a great bunch of

i'd rather listen to them, then a bunch of whiny british fucks
    www.lovecorealliance.com

11/7/07 - Allentown Pa
    11/11/07 - Hartford Ct

• Neruda25Neruda25 Posts: 266
    Billy Corgan voice´s Suck!!!!
    22 nov. Santiago
    23 nov. Santiago
    25 nov. Buenos Aires
    26 nov. Buenos Aires

http://www.myspace.com/delonelyman
  • oppie1 wrote:
    have you actually sat and listened to mudvayne? chad probablly has the best voice/scream in metal(listen to Severed off LD50, yeah.. the chorus is layered, but still.listen to it)... Ryan is fan-fucking-tastic on bass (listen to his bassline on Internal Primates Forever), and Matt can kill on the kit....they're just a great bunch of

i'd rather listen to them, then a bunch of whiny british fucks
    A lot of these 'metal' bands have great musicians but that is not singing and often it's not even screaming (though the latter doesn't apply to the two bands in question).

I've listened to both bands and don't like either of them whatsoever but whatever floats your boat. Honestly I don't really care to defend Oasis very much either.

"Make our day"
  • mattosbornemattosborne Posts: 339
    They arent rock

Yes, they are rock.
    The Official Matt Cameron appreciation signature!
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    to respond to the criticism of Geddy Lee - while his voice is not my favorite, i still can't get enough of it. I listen to Rush at least once a week. his solo album is great too, and it features drumming by this dude who plays for Pearl Jam and used to play for Soundgarden.

granted, many Rush lyrics are geeky as hell, but fuckin' a, they RAWK.

the worst voice in rock...

i had to look this up, even though i have a Dream Theater album:
    James LaBrie - either he has 10 times the velveeta of Steve Perry or he's trying sound angry and brooding, but sounds like a tool instead. that band has some impressive moments, but his singing ruins them for me. the only song I like by them is "Pull Me Under" - that songs jams so much that the singing doesn't bother me.

and of course, there's Scott Stapp.
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    To anyone who has and will say Billy Corgan:

Fair enough, but you obviously haven't heard that bald little man scream. Good lord.

Edit:

Corgan's voice right now is almost accessable. It's less trebly and whiny - he actually sounds like what most people consider a 'singer' now. Personally I love his voice no matter how he's using it and the Pumpkins are my favorite band, so I'm not exactly unbiased,.. but his voice is downright pleasant on some of the boots I've heard from the last month or so on anyone's standards.

Also, he HAS won awards for his songs. To name one I know 1979 won a grammy and I believe they've won others including awards for the videos which are always outstanding.

with Billy Corgan, the production seems to be a factor.

for example, on Siamese Dream, produced by Butch Vig, his voice sounds incredible. never a bad moment. in fact, never a less-than-great moment. but on Mellon Collie, produced by Flood, sometimes his voice is a little grating - especially at the higher pitches. but I've always loved the way he sings. his voice is one of the most expressive and unique out there.
  • Kenny Olav wrote:
    with Billy Corgan, the production seems to be a factor.

for example, on Siamese Dream, produced by Butch Vig, his voice sounds incredible. never a bad moment. in fact, never a less-than-great moment. but on Mellon Collie, produced by Flood, sometimes his voice is a little grating - especially at the higher pitches. but I've always loved the way he sings. his voice is one of the most expressive and unique out there.
    You're right, and I don't think either of those production styles is bad. I think Flood produced MCIS perfectly for what it was and vice versa for Butch Vig's SD.

The production he's been using - not just the producer but Corgan who produces them as well - since Machina is quite good. Very different.. a lot smoother than in the past.

"Make our day"
  • dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
    the dude from Nickleback, hands down and the dude from 7 mary 3. IMO
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,706
    This weekend we rock Portland
    A lot of these 'metal' bands have great musicians but that is not singing and often it's not even screaming (though the latter doesn't apply to the two bands in question).

thank you for telling me what is and what is not singing.. you really clarified it for me.. i now know that for the longest time i havent been listening to music...i will now convert to an American Eagle shirt and khaki shorts wearing mindless douchebag, and hop on whatever trend bandwagon is roaring thru my town
    www.lovecorealliance.com

11/7/07 - Allentown Pa
    11/11/07 - Hartford Ct

• oppie1 wrote:
    thank you for telling me what is and what is not singing.. you really clarified it for me.. i now know that for the longest time i havent been listening to music...i will now convert to an American Eagle shirt and khaki shorts wearing mindless douchebag, and hop on whatever trend bandwagon is roaring thru my town
    How can you call throat screaming nothingness over metal riffs singing?

vocals sure, but them fuckers ain't singing.

"Make our day"
    How can you call throat screaming nothingness over metal riffs singing?

vocals sure, but them fuckers ain't singing.
    how can you call billy corgan whiny voice singing? if so theres a sick cat that sings outside my window everynight.. sign him to a record deal

oh my god.. this new MMJ cd is fucking amazing.. what else should i listen to? DCfC? my god this is great shit </sarcasm>
    www.lovecorealliance.com

11/7/07 - Allentown Pa
    11/11/07 - Hartford Ct

• oppie1 wrote:
    how can you call billy corgan whiny voice singing? if so theres a sick cat that sings outside my window everynight.. sign him to a record deal

oh my god.. this new MMJ cd is fucking amazing.. what else should i listen to? DCfC? my god this is great shit </sarcasm>
    Corgan: Doesn't scream everything and when he does he's actually screaming. There's a big difference between a real scream and the throat/gut screaming shit those bands do.

Also Corgan's singing has something conspicuously absent from modern metal: PITCH AND MELODY. That's cut and dry dude, I play in a band with a couple guys who love that stuff so I hear it all the time. You can't argue against that.

"Make our day"
    Corgan: Doesn't scream everything and when he does he's actually screaming. There's a big difference between a real scream and the throat/gut screaming shit those bands do.

Also Corgan's singing has something conspicuously absent from modern metal: PITCH AND MELODY. That's cut and dry dude, I play in a band with a couple guys who love that stuff so I hear it all the time. You can't argue against that.
    once again.. thank you for telling me what real screaming is... you converted me .. congrats... hope there is a sale at American Eagle and Abercrombie and Fitch soon.. i need new clothes to fit in...man.. i also need to get tix to the DMB show here this summer.. i can't fuckin wait

lemme ask.. will this shirt look better w/ olive or khaki colored shorts?
    http://www.ae.com/web/browse/product.jsp?rcid=mens&scid=cat350139&navroot=mens&productId=prod1440011
    www.lovecorealliance.com

11/7/07 - Allentown Pa
    11/11/07 - Hartford Ct

• That is like stating that all metal heads wear eye liner and black with fishnets and are all gothed out. Get over it dude. I happen to wear AE and A&F shirts and shorts and like Dave Matthews and Slayer, and Van Morrison and Rage Against the Machine, just because someone wears a particular brand of clothes doesn't mean they are doing it to fit in, did you ever think those brands are popular because they are comfy? You are the reason stereotypes exist, stop casting judgement and listen to what you want to listen to and fuck anyone who says your music is crap. You like it, listen to it and be happy and let others listen to what they want to listen to. Arguing over music is like arguing over colors I have no right to tell you that Red is vastly superior color to Green, I just happen to like it better it is more appealing to me. Different strokes for different folks.... sorry to vent, but ignorance pisses me off.
    I was taught a month ago to bide my time and take it slow, but then I learned just yesterday to rush and never waste a day. Now I'm convinced the whole day long that all I've learned is always wrong. Things are true that I forget, but no one taught that to me yet
  • darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    That is like stating that all metal heads wear eye liner and black with fishnets and are all gothed out. Get over it dude. I happen to wear AE and A&F shirts and shorts and like Dave Matthews and Slayer, and Van Morrison and Rage Against the Machine, just because someone wears a particular brand of clothes doesn't mean they are doing it to fit in, did you ever think those brands are popular because they are comfy? You are the reason stereotypes exist, stop casting judgement and listen to what you want to listen to and fuck anyone who says your music is crap. You like it, listen to it and be happy and let others listen to what they want to listen to. Arguing over music is like arguing over colors I have no right to tell you that Red is vastly superior color to Green, I just happen to like it better it is more appealing to me. Different strokes for different folks.... sorry to vent, but ignorance pisses me off.

But red is the mightiest of colors ;)

Actually you do have a point. For example, I never got into country music, probably never will, but I see why ppl like it. In the same aspect, I understand why ppl like rap. But don't associate image or worthless crap with the music! Just listen and chill.
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • Alex_CoeAlex_Coe Posts: 762
    I love metal but the singing is lametard. Every time Nick Oliveri barks into the microphone I just want to break his evil face.

"Give it up with the GG Allin Wannabe act, you sizzle-dick twat gash motherfucker! Play your bass and let the third string sing!"
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    oppie1 wrote:
    once again.. thank you for telling me what real screaming is... you converted me .. congrats... hope there is a sale at American Eagle and Abercrombie and Fitch soon.. i need new clothes to fit in...man.. i also need to get tix to the DMB show here this summer.. i can't fuckin wait

http://www.ae.com/web/browse/product.jsp?rcid=mens&scid=cat350139&navroot=mens&productId=prod1440011
    Go with the khaki.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • murph83murph83 Posts: 122
    Fat Mike from NOFX......I don't know how anyone can tolerate that singing.
  • oppie1 wrote:

One way to tell when you've kicked someone's ass in a debate is when instead of countering a point they just act like a sarcastic jackass like no one will notice they didn't address the point.

Like I said, I know the music pretty well and you could've at least put up a good argument about their vocal qualities.

"Make our day"
  • My vote for worst voice:

Bob Dylan<- Great writer, awful singer
    Anthony Keidis <- Cannot sing..should have stuck to rap/rock
    Tom Waites<- Simply horrible
    Kurt Cobain<-Pitchy..all over the place
    Jon Anderson (Yes)<-Can't stand his voice at all... worse than Geddy Lee's
    Lemmy (Motorhead)<-Again, great songwriter..awful singer
    Anyone that has sang in AC/DC
    Al Jourgenson (Ministry)<-Doesn't sing, screams
    Ozzy Osbourne <-I respect the man, but God his voice sucks..and has only gotten worse with age.

Make your life a mission - not an intermission. - Arnold Gasglow
  • CaterinaACaterinaA Posts: 572
    Shaun Ryder (Happy mondays) - Can't carry a tune to save his life
    Ian Brown (Stone Roses) - Ditto Shaun Ryder, I saw him live and I still can't believe he actually gets paid to sing like that...
    Ian Anderson - just hate everything related to Yes
    Kate Bush - feels like nails in chalkboards to me
  • HaijayHaijay Posts: 380
    anyone and everyone from the beatles
  • MellowMindMellowMind Posts: 61
    i think the following are lacking when it comes to singing:

ozzy osbourne - his glory days are over now, he just sounds like an old granny
    metallica dude - most annoying band in history
    iron maiden dude - can't stand him
    other bands from the 80's similar to maiden etc.
    some new emo bands:
    avenged sevenfold
    bullet for my valentine, etc.

the dude from The Used - saw em in portugal, not bad really but the guy is just a cobain fake with an even worse voice..

kurt cobain never had a great voice... - fucked up etc.
    john frusciante - good backing and some good solo voices but cant stand his drugged up music and when he puts on the little girl high pitched voice

dunno cant think any others really....but there must be, i'll remember in like 10 mins time lol
    Given To Fly

Lisboa, Pavilhão Atlântico, 4/9/06
    Lisboa, Algés, Oeiras Alive!, 8/6/07