So who here besides me DOESN'T like the White Stripes?

Comments

• Strangest TribeStrangest Tribe Posts: 2,502
    glasshouse wrote:
    true this. i mean if this thread was called:
    who else beside me thinks metallica/guns n' roses/oasis suck balls i could have maybe gone along with it. but this is utter bollocks. and that's a fact

start that thread and I'm with you on that. those guys all became little bitches didn't they????

Still kinda like Slash
    the Minions
  • DOSW wrote:
    I've spotted a few of you in the Avocado vs Icky Thump thread, so I know you're out there. The White Stripes have a few decent songs- hell, I even liked them a little bit after I heard Elephant- but their library as a whole consists of 90% shit. What makes it even worse is the praise they get from everyone around here- things like how "Jack White is a GENIUS" and how Meg White's drumming "fits the White Stripes' style" (yeah... it fucking sucks). I'm sure a lot of people who were pissed off by Chris Cornell's constant praise know exactly what I'm talking about. Jack White is a horrible singer. Meg White is the shittiest drummer I've ever heard... she probably could get better, but Jack White doesn't let her. Why? Because he's a pretentious asshole, that's why. Good guitarist, bad everything else.

Here's a little anecdote which is a good example of why I have so much disdain for them. The other day my sister turned on a concert clip where they were playing The Hardest Button to Button. Everyone in the fucking crowd was pogoing to it... which would have been cool, IF the intro consisted of more than just a drum pounding over and over with a single guitar note played simultaneously. Why the hell was everyone so excited? Why, I say? It wasn't cool, it wasn't rocking, it wasn't edgy. ANYONE could do that. It was just one drum beat and one guitar note played over and over again and people were worshipping it like it was the greatest thing they've ever heard. THAT'S why I hate them. Their music sucks and people think it's great.

But after all, isn't that why people hate the music they hate? *sigh* Sorry for the rant, White Stripes fans. Carry on. I just needed to let it out.

they're ok but nothing to write home about..Some songs are good and some others are shit...I do like the blues/zeppelin sound the have somewhat..
    Master of Zen
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Ya know, I respect peoples opinions, especially on music and I try not to get involved in this kind of silly debate (if that is what this is called) because to each their own in regards to their musical taste but how the fuck can someone rip on a band when they are pouring everything the got into their music. I mean if you don't like it then, fuck, don't listen to it, why the need to bitch about something like, Meg just isn't a good drummer? Well she might not be compared to others but within the context of their music she does exactly what she needs to do and that's it, nothing more, nothing less.

He might have passion for what he does, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • I've liked the Stripes for a long time. One of my favorite bands. But I get really annoyed sometimes by how their "so cool" and media darlings and all that shit. Jack is phenomenal, Meg is terrible. Cracks me up when stripes fan say the whole "fits the band" thing. Sorry, she sucks.

IMO, they've been going downhill since Elephant, which I love. Get Behind me Satan was pretty good, but man, I just dont understand how people are saying that Icky Thump is this amazing record. Its okay at times, but for the most part, not good. just my opinion.
    There's a trapdoor in the sun.
  • DOSW wrote:
    He might have passion for what he does, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

I don't recall saying that you have to fucking like it.
    Driving in my car, smoking a cigar. The only time I'm happy is when I play my guitar.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
    I've liked the Stripes for a long time. One of my favorite bands. But I get really annoyed sometimes by how their "so cool" and media darlings and all that shit. Jack is phenomenal, Meg is terrible. Cracks me up when stripes fan say the whole "fits the band" thing. Sorry, she sucks.

IMO, they've been going downhill since Elephant, which I love. Get Behind me Satan was pretty good, but man, I just dont understand how people are saying that Icky Thump is this amazing record. Its okay at times, but for the most part, not good. just my opinion.

Icky Thump = White Stripes best album
    the Minions
  • Blind MelonBlind Melon Posts: 911
    I don't like Icky Thump mainly because I think the guitaring sounds like every other song that they've already done... it's just like the same sound over and over... I did like the slower songs on the album more than the songs that had heavy guitar riffs sounding the same... I do enjoy pre-Icky Thump material though... I thoroughly enjoyed GBMS, but that definitely lacked because of sound quality... sounds like they recorded that CD in a shoe under the water.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    DOSW wrote:
    I've spotted a few of you in the Avocado vs Icky Thump thread, so I know you're out there. The White Stripes have a few decent songs- hell, I even liked them a little bit after I heard Elephant- but their library as a whole consists of 90% shit. What makes it even worse is the praise they get from everyone around here- things like how "Jack White is a GENIUS" and how Meg White's drumming "fits the White Stripes' style" (yeah... it fucking sucks). I'm sure a lot of people who were pissed off by Chris Cornell's constant praise know exactly what I'm talking about. Jack White is a horrible singer. Meg White is the shittiest drummer I've ever heard... she probably could get better, but Jack White doesn't let her. Why? Because he's a pretentious asshole, that's why. Good guitarist, bad everything else.

Here's a little anecdote which is a good example of why I have so much disdain for them. The other day my sister turned on a concert clip where they were playing The Hardest Button to Button. Everyone in the fucking crowd was pogoing to it... which would have been cool, IF the intro consisted of more than just a drum pounding over and over with a single guitar note played simultaneously. Why the hell was everyone so excited? Why, I say? It wasn't cool, it wasn't rocking, it wasn't edgy. ANYONE could do that. It was just one drum beat and one guitar note played over and over again and people were worshipping it like it was the greatest thing they've ever heard. THAT'S why I hate them. Their music sucks and people think it's great.

But after all, isn't that why people hate the music they hate? *sigh* Sorry for the rant, White Stripes fans. Carry on. I just needed to let it out.

I'm not a fan of the white stripes; I prefer boy bands like Lifehouse.

Hey, you didn't like Jesus Christ Pose either!
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    iluvcats wrote:
    I'm not a fan of the white stripes; I prefer boy bands like Lifehouse.

Hey, you didn't like Jesus Christ Pose either!

Hmmm.... you're right. Maybe I just have an inherent tendency to stir shit up.

Or maybe I just have a bad music taste. :D
    DOSW wrote:

I really don't think she's that bad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QABMdiR0HE&mode=related&search=
    the Minions
  • Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but to say that they are horrible is ridiculous.

Tonight Jack and Meg put on one of the best rock shows i have ever had the pleasure of watching. Jack is an absolute beast on the guitar, and meg was fantastic. She gave a classy reading of the song "In the cold cold night". I have never witnessed anything like the mayhem that Jack brings to his guitars, and I will never forget it

The brilliance of the white stripes lies in their live show. While most bands stick to note for note performances that closely mimic the album, the white stripes rearrange and combine songs together at will. They played a medley of Ickey Thump and When I hear my name that was at least 10 minutes that blew my freaking mind.

The amount of energy that they put into the show is phenominal, considering we are in an age where performers dont "bring it" for the smaller profile gigs.

The White Stripes rock, and if people dont like them fine. Those people should go see them in concert and then make that opinion.
    "Music is the glue that holds everything together. Without it, everything would fall apart." --Eddie (From the movie EMPIRE RECORDS)
  • NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,477
    Icky Thump = White Stripes best album
    true fans know de stijl is their best album
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • lol, the naysayers have really stepped up with some well-thought-out responses
    hate was just a legend
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    I hate the White Stripes, jack's voice is really annoying and i could do Meg's drumming. 7 Nation Army must be one the songs i hate most in the world.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    stu gee wrote:
    I hate the White Stripes, jack's voice is really annoying and i could do Meg's drumming. 7 Nation Army must be one the songs i hate most in the world.

yeh i dont know why audiosalve covered it in one of their tours
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLESpHrtvxs
    Ohh I love this video :)

But I don't like everything else..
    NOCODE#1 wrote:
    true fans know de stijl is their best album

you won't get an argument from me on that

but Icky Thump won't let me sleep anymore and Bone Broke and Catch Hell Blues have me gettin the 6 string out and actually enjoying their music again. Get Behind Me was sort of a lull...though I liked it I was ready to get back to the raw bluesy White Stripes sound.

Icky Thump
    Elephant
    De Stijl
    White Blood Cells
    Get Behind Me Satan
    White Stripes
    the Minions
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    stu gee wrote:

But you don';t do Meg's drumming do you mate !!

No, Meg does Meg's drumming, cos Meg is a rock star, and you a just a whiny little twat !!
    Music is not a competetion.
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    I'm not going to get involved with this debate but I don't like them. I never saw what the big deal was with them and still don't and I stopped caring when that satan album came out.

No, Meg does Meg's drumming, cos Meg is a rock star, and you a just a whiny little twat !!

Come on man, using that logic you're not able to ever criticize ANY band, simply because you're not as successful of them. Obviously the idea is that you're criticizing the band (or a member of a band) compared to OTHERS LIKE THEM, not yourself.

Apparently nobody should be able to criticize George Bush either, because they've never been a President of the United States.
    DOSW wrote:
    Come on man, using that logic you're not able to ever criticize ANY band, simply because you're not as successful of them. Obviously the idea is that you're criticizing the band (or a member of a band) compared to OTHERS LIKE THEM, not yourself.

Apparently nobody should be able to criticize George Bush either, because they've never been a President of the United States.

You are right, I don't criticise bands. I either like em or I don't.

To be more analytical, good music is more than the sum of the parts. Anytime you listen to each individual track of a song by itself, it sounds like crap. Mix em all together, and it sounds magic.
    Fact is, White STripes rocks for me. Pulling meg's drumming out and analysing it by itself is pointless.

As for singing, very few successful rock singers have great technique, that's what makes em interesting. TAkent show singers often have great technique, and no entertainent value at all.

I still don't like bench racers. ON teh subject of George W. yeah I'd like to see any of teh panty-waist whingers here step up to teh plate. I reckeon they would run faster than a boastful virgin in a brothel when teh legs open.
    You are right, I don't criticise bands. I either like em or I don't.

To be more analytical, good music is more than the sum of the parts. Anytime you listen to each individual track of a song by itself, it sounds like crap. Mix em all together, and it sounds magic.

Yeah, but that doesn't mean there aren't any individual roots of the problem. Some music sounds bad for a reason, and sometimes it's because of one of the members not achieving the same amount musically as the other members. So yes, you CAN be critical of musicians.
    DOSW wrote:
    Yeah, but that doesn't mean there aren't any individual roots of the problem. Some music sounds bad for a reason, and sometimes it's because of one of the members not achieving the same amount musically as the other members. So yes, you CAN be critical of musicians.

Yeah, ya can be, I just tend not to be much. Occasionally I break this guideline.
    I enjoy listening to Meg drum. Sure, it don't stand out, but seriously, MIke Portnoy would not suit White Stripes, don't think. Maybe one day JAck wil do a guest invite for him, and we could find out.
    I'm more inclined to be critical of songcraft, that's what really makes or breaks music for me. The greatest muso can't save a dud song, although apparently marketting can polish any turd !!
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174

Dont call me a twat you twat. I was just posting my opinion about a band i dont like. Read the name of the thread and then you go and start a thread saying who here likes the white stripes and i promise i wont go near it. Weirdo!!
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    stu gee wrote:
    Dont call me a twat you twat. I was just posting my opinion about a band i dont like. Read the name of the thread and then you go and start a thread saying who here likes the white stripes and i promise i wont go near it. Weirdo!!

FYI... your signature is an urban legend....

http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/bono.asp
  • HaijayHaijay Posts: 379
    No, they have talent.

You're thinking of Linkin Park in regards to a band that'll be forgotten in ten years.
    shazzam! i'm with you. linkin park STINK! crying shame they are
  • JPS79JPS79 Posts: 148
    I don't like the white stripes,coldplay,breaking benjamin,etc... Basically any of the new groups from 2000 on, just getting older and am set in my ways about what sounds good and what does not. The white stripes and other bands like them like jet just sound like they are trying too hard to sound like a "new british invasion" even if they aren't even from there.
    Seems the more you make
    equals the loneliness you get
    stu gee wrote:

I just liked the idea of you doing Meg's drumming. It suggested you are a star in the making, and yet at the same time, suggesting that no, maybe you couldn't really drum your way to rock stardom, yet she has.

Meg rocks, my socks !!

Meg is a star !!

White Stripes, my young Jimmy, have just popped out their 6th illegitimate love child in a time when most bands are lucky to have people rremember the name of their second album after a week.
  • Ooh, me me, pick me!
    -Yes, foxystupid?
    I don't like the white stripes.
    Stop following me, I do not know where I am going.
  • Blind MelonBlind Melon Posts: 911
    Meg White is perfect for the White Stripes. Sometimes simplistic beats help show the other parts of the music, IE possibly the guitaring in the song, the piano used, etc. With that said... I still haven't re-listened to Icky Thump mainly because I'm thinking I could just pop in their self-titled and hear the same songs. I'll do it one day, and it might just be on that one day, I'll be proven wrong.
    If I could, think I would give in.