So who here besides me DOESN'T like the White Stripes?

DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
edited July 2007 in Other Music
I've spotted a few of you in the Avocado vs Icky Thump thread, so I know you're out there. The White Stripes have a few decent songs- hell, I even liked them a little bit after I heard Elephant- but their library as a whole consists of 90% shit. What makes it even worse is the praise they get from everyone around here- things like how "Jack White is a GENIUS" and how Meg White's drumming "fits the White Stripes' style" (yeah... it fucking sucks). I'm sure a lot of people who were pissed off by Chris Cornell's constant praise know exactly what I'm talking about. Jack White is a horrible singer. Meg White is the shittiest drummer I've ever heard... she probably could get better, but Jack White doesn't let her. Why? Because he's a pretentious asshole, that's why. Good guitarist, bad everything else.

Here's a little anecdote which is a good example of why I have so much disdain for them. The other day my sister turned on a concert clip where they were playing The Hardest Button to Button. Everyone in the fucking crowd was pogoing to it... which would have been cool, IF the intro consisted of more than just a drum pounding over and over with a single guitar note played simultaneously. Why the hell was everyone so excited? Why, I say? It wasn't cool, it wasn't rocking, it wasn't edgy. ANYONE could do that. It was just one drum beat and one guitar note played over and over again and people were worshipping it like it was the greatest thing they've ever heard. THAT'S why I hate them. Their music sucks and people think it's great.

But after all, isn't that why people hate the music they hate? *sigh* Sorry for the rant, White Stripes fans. Carry on. I just needed to let it out.
It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    No one.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    I'm not really a fan. I'm mostly indifferent to them though.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    I enjoy them, BUT...

Meg White is not a good drummer and on the newest album her drumming is finally getting to me. It's just so damn boring. Also I think Icky Thump is no where as good as Elephant or Get Behind Me Satan.
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    They are a boring retro rock band who will be forgotten in about ten years.
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    Matty Boy wrote:
    no i'm pretty sure the media will continue to remind us of their precious little darlings.

the stripes have some great songs, particularly their singles, but i thought the raconteurs was a far better band
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    i don't understand why people can't just take the music for what it is and quit fucking analyzing it.
  • *raises hand*
  • Matty Boy wrote:

No, they have talent.

You're thinking of Linkin Park in regards to a band that'll be forgotten in ten years.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • Alex_CoeAlex_Coe Posts: 762
    Umm.. I like the Stripes. Sorry. thy're my third favorite band. Now allow me to bitch and whine.

"Wah wah wah you don't like my band wah wah wha"
  • Strangest TribeStrangest Tribe Posts: 2,502
    I love the White Stripes and honestly believe Jack White is one of the greatest guitarists in today's music. I'm 42 years old, so I've listened to my fair share of rock music. I find the White Stripes lyrics clever, witty, charming ...their music raw but fresh, unique and innovative. The White Stripes are very entertaining live. They have a Vaudeville or minstral punk vibe that is highly original and only they seem to pull it off.

I'm not into pretentious musicianship. I don't understand why Meg gets trashed for not being a great drummer. She's never off beat and her rhythm compliments Jack's raw energy perfectly. She doesn't need to sit behind a massive drum kit with 40 different bells and cymbals a la Danny Carey. She's perfect. I don't buy a White Stripes album for intense musicianship. I like my music with little imperfections and lots of feedback. I like my rock music with some angst and craziness. I like my rock music straight from the garage.

What makes the White Stripes so original is any kid with a guitar and a will to play it feels like he/she could (in turn) produce such a creative, limitless, raw music w/o feeling the need to become formally trained in intricate fretwork.

There's a difference b/t being a great musician and being a great artist. Jack White falls into both categories. He proves music doesn't have to be complex to work. Matter of fact some of the simple stuff he does is his most brilliant. To produce the music he does as a two piece is why he is hailed with such genious.

I understand your opinion and likewise I can parallel with my own disdain for Explosions in the Sky. This band has been critically acclaimed for basically producing boring instumentals. I have trouble understanding the following this band has.
    the Minions
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    I love the White Stripes and honestly believe Jack White is one of the greatest guitarists in today's music. I'm 42 years old, so I've listened to my fair share of rock music. I find the White Stripes lyrics clever, witty, charming ...their music raw but fresh, unique and innovative. The White Stripes are very entertaining live. They have a Vaudeville or minstral punk vibe that is highly original and only they seem to pull it off.

I'm not into pretentious musicianship. I don't understand why Meg gets trashed for not being a great drummer. She's never off beat and her rhythm compliments Jack's raw energy perfectly. She doesn't need to sit behind a massive drum kit with 40 different bells and cymbals a la Danny Carey. She's perfect. I don't buy a White Stripes album for intense musicianship. I like my music with little imperfections and lots of feedback. I like my rock music with some angst and craziness. I like my rock music straight from the garage.

What makes the White Stripes so original is any kid with a guitar and a will to play it feels like he/she could (in turn) produce such a creative, limitless, raw music w/o feeling the need to become formally trained in intricate fretwork.

There's a difference b/t being a great musician and being a great artist. Jack White falls into both categories. He proves music doesn't have to be complex to work. Matter of fact some of the simple stuff he does is his most brilliant. To produce the music he does as a two piece is why he is hailed with such genious.

I understand your opinion and likewise I can parallel with my own disdain for Explosions in the Sky. This band has been critically acclaimed for basically producing boring instumentals. I have trouble understanding the following this band has.

What he said !!

To answer the OP, no-one !!

As or being forgotetn in ten years, dude, most bands are forgotten in ten minutes. Ten years is a universe of time these days !!

Raw energy, that's the Stripes.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • orig_long redorig_long red Posts: 2,029
    god damn that new album is fucking terrible. the only thing good about it is Meg's ass on the inner-sleeve.
    Jam out with your clam out.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Although, I do have a happy spot in my Heart for Explosions in the Sky.

:V

When I tell friends/pit members I like Pearl Jam, the White Stripes, and Explosions in the Sky equally, they usually look at me funny.

"You like three different genres of rock and roll? Not just one, or two, but three? Wierd."

:V
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I just saw them, and I fully disagree. Meg isn't great, but the chemistry between Jack and Meg is AMAZING! Top 5 show of all time for me.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    I just saw them, and I fully disagree. Meg isn't great, but the chemistry between Jack and Meg is AMAZING! Top 5 show of all time for me.

The chemistry between J+M is one thing I could do without. Sometimes it looks like Jack wants to mount Meg right there on the stage. It's distracting as hell.

OK GUYS LET'S TONE DOWN THE HUMPY-HUMPY. This is a concert, not Amateurs Gone Wild.
  • sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,034
    I like them once in awhile... If I took their whole catalog, I could probably put together a good 10-12 song best of collection and be reasonably happy with it, but thats about it.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818
    well the white stripes must be doing something right because i have friends who didnt care for them before and now are getting into them after their latest album...call it what you will but people are turned on to this stuff and lets get real its not all that terrible

jack has gotten better lyrically by a long shot!!!

but what do i know i dont listen to half of what people talk about on this board anyway
  • DOSW wrote:
    I've spotted a few of you in the Avocado vs Icky Thump thread, so I know you're out there. The White Stripes have a few decent songs- hell, I even liked them a little bit after I heard Elephant- but their library as a whole consists of 90% shit. What makes it even worse is the praise they get from everyone around here- things like how "Jack White is a GENIUS" and how Meg White's drumming "fits the White Stripes' style" (yeah... it fucking sucks). I'm sure a lot of people who were pissed off by Chris Cornell's constant praise know exactly what I'm talking about. Jack White is a horrible singer. Meg White is the shittiest drummer I've ever heard... she probably could get better, but Jack White doesn't let her. Why? Because he's a pretentious asshole, that's why. Good guitarist, bad everything else.

Here's a little anecdote which is a good example of why I have so much disdain for them. The other day my sister turned on a concert clip where they were playing The Hardest Button to Button. Everyone in the fucking crowd was pogoing to it... which would have been cool, IF the intro consisted of more than just a drum pounding over and over with a single guitar note played simultaneously. Why the hell was everyone so excited? Why, I say? It wasn't cool, it wasn't rocking, it wasn't edgy. ANYONE could do that. It was just one drum beat and one guitar note played over and over again and people were worshipping it like it was the greatest thing they've ever heard. THAT'S why I hate them. Their music sucks and people think it's great.

But after all, isn't that why people hate the music they hate? *sigh* Sorry for the rant, White Stripes fans. Carry on. I just needed to let it out.

^^^^^Someone who just doesn't get it.^^^^^
    "Everyone is a patriot in some form or another.... i prefer the intelligent ones."

"She fell funny"

"Klaus Daimler, 40, engineer, calm, collected, German"
  • Yes, I was the guy who started the whole "Meg White is Hot" thread, so yeah, I have a strange animal magnetism to her. But in all seriousness, she is not a shitty drummer. She is always right on time, and she may be simple but she is POWERFUL. Has no one noticed how hard she hits - especially on the new album??? Fuckin Dave Grohl, and she's a girl!!!! But she has more balls then most guys I know - she doesn't rely on Neil Peart shit to be effective - it takes balls to stay as simplistic as she has.

Oh and yeah, Jack is fucking brilliant. I didn't want to like the White Stripes at all when they were first hyped 5 years ago, but they just fucking won me over with great little tunes, a very hard thing to do 'cause I can be really hardheaded. So yeah, rock on Stripes!
    What I Should Have Said...Was Nothing.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,216
    Me
  • poorgirl23poorgirl23 Posts: 194
    oh c'mon, it's jack's birthday... let's not rag on the boy.

i love the white stripes. their music is a brilliant blend of blues, punk, and garage rock. they're my second favorite band and jack is a phenomenal guitarist and songwriter. the songs are unique, innovative, and just plain refreshing. the live shows are a beautiful thing to witness... they're fun, energetic, and passionate. there's a constant feeling of spontaneity and I love the interaction between them. It's hard to take your eyes of jack and his guitar. so much talent.

and i'd totally go gay for meg. !!!!!
    Common sense is not so common.
    poorgirl23 wrote:
    oh c'mon, it's jack's birthday... let's not rag on the boy.

and i'd totally go gay for meg. !!!!!

This post is hot.
  • oppie1oppie1 Posts: 755
    DOSW wrote:

i think they suck... jacks voice is annoying, he sucks on guitar, and meg is a shit drummer.. they're god awful
    BoyHitsCar Masked Street Team
    www.lovecorealliance.com

Upcoming boyhitscar concerts:
    11/7/07 - Allentown Pa
    11/11/07 - Hartford Ct

www.myspace.com/briankutys
  • eclecticeclectic Posts: 244
    I hate them with a passion as well!

1.One of THE most overrated bands on the planet

2.Pretentious

3.Shit singer

4.Equally shit drummer

5.Shit live(I seen them headline Reading in 05 and they were woefully out of their depth and they were self indulgent in the extreme, with bum notes all over the place.Excruciatingly painful vocals as well.

6.He isn't that good a guitarist(Pseudo blues with no real essence of what Blues is all about.....FEEL-Try listening to Rory Gallagher to put someone like JW in perspective!

Maybe rename them 'The Shite Wipes'
    'All the rusted signs,we ignore throughout our lives,
    Choosing the shiny ones instead'

Reading 06 - Torino 06 - Wembley 07
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    audiodave wrote:

I'm with you dave! :)

They've done some stuff, and it's ok but I can't say I don't like them. I guess I don't really care. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    audiodave wrote:

This would be me also, I like some songs the rest is just background music when our lass puts them on.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    Not a huge fan but i think jack is a good songwriter/lyiricist.
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    I used to be a fan, and I liked them when I saw them live. Jack is an amazing guitarist, but I've really gotten sick of them lately. Their sound can only go so far before it becomes annoyingly repetitive.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,477
    DeStijl is their best album

this is their weakest but far better than 99% of the shit out there

raconteurs definately affected White
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • I don't really have an opinion on them. What I've heard sounds sort of boring though.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison