So who here besides me DOESN'T like the White Stripes?

Comments

• Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    DOSW wrote:
    I've spotted a few of you in the Avocado vs Icky Thump thread, so I know you're out there. The White Stripes have a few decent songs- hell, I even liked them a little bit after I heard Elephant- but their library as a whole consists of 90% shit. What makes it even worse is the praise they get from everyone around here- things like how "Jack White is a GENIUS" and how Meg White's drumming "fits the White Stripes' style" (yeah... it fucking sucks). I'm sure a lot of people who were pissed off by Chris Cornell's constant praise know exactly what I'm talking about. Jack White is a horrible singer. Meg White is the shittiest drummer I've ever heard... she probably could get better, but Jack White doesn't let her. Why? Because he's a pretentious asshole, that's why. Good guitarist, bad everything else.

Here's a little anecdote which is a good example of why I have so much disdain for them. The other day my sister turned on a concert clip where they were playing The Hardest Button to Button. Everyone in the fucking crowd was pogoing to it... which would have been cool, IF the intro consisted of more than just a drum pounding over and over with a single guitar note played simultaneously. Why the hell was everyone so excited? Why, I say? It wasn't cool, it wasn't rocking, it wasn't edgy. ANYONE could do that. It was just one drum beat and one guitar note played over and over again and people were worshipping it like it was the greatest thing they've ever heard. THAT'S why I hate them. Their music sucks and people think it's great.

But after all, isn't that why people hate the music they hate? *sigh* Sorry for the rant, White Stripes fans. Carry on. I just needed to let it out.

i like this guy

yeh they fucking suck.. dont know why their threads are appearing on here
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    I used to think what they created was real impressive for a two piece, then along came The Black Keys.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    the white stripes are a funky, hip, alternative rock band with a unique voice and some fucking hilarious lyrics. they've never indicated that they take themselves too seriously.

hard for me to find wrong in that formula. i like them.
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • Alex_CoeAlex_Coe Posts: 762
    eclectic wrote:
    I hate them with a passion as well!

1.One of THE most overrated bands on the planet

2.Pretentious

3.Shit singer

4.Equally shit drummer

5.Shit live(I seen them headline Reading in 05 and they were woefully out of their depth and they were self indulgent in the extreme, with bum notes all over the place.Excruciatingly painful vocals as well.

6.He isn't that good a guitarist(Pseudo blues with no real essence of what Blues is all about.....FEEL-Try listening to Rory Gallagher to put someone like JW in perspective!

Maybe rename them 'The Shite Wipes'

I call BS on 2 and 6. It's one thing to call them a shit band, because that's what the pit is about is expressing your opinion... but 2 and 6 are practically libel.

2) The White Stripes are possibly the least pretentious band on the palnet. They don't have any defining image whatsoever. Each album cover has them wearing a completely different outfit, and they don't talk with any special accent. During every JW interview I've ever seen, Jack acted totally natural. Jack isn't even a little eccentric until he gets on stage. Maybe by pretentious you mean use of "the three colors", but that's a style choice, nothing more. How can a color scheme be pretentious?

6) Jack is a pretty good guitarist. Not the best, but he's pretty good. Certainly he's overrated when they say 'jack White iss GOD', but you're overcompensating for the fanatics camp. Both sides are dead wrong.

"He's a god!"

"No, he's terrible."

The fact of the matter is, Jack is a pretty good guitarist, and exaggerating his abilities (good or bad) won't change what he is.

1, 3, 4, and 5 are sometimes true. Blech. But not always.
    NOCODE#1 wrote:
    DeStijl is their best album

this is their weakest but far better than 99% of the shit out there

raconteurs definately affected White
    Death Letter and Little Bird warm my heart.
  • oppie1oppie1 Posts: 755
    I used to think what they created was real impressive for a two piece, then along came The Black Keys.
    i thought they were real creative and impressive, then along came Milli Vanilli
    BoyHitsCar Masked Street Team
    www.lovecorealliance.com

Upcoming boyhitscar concerts:
    11/7/07 - Allentown Pa
    11/11/07 - Hartford Ct

www.myspace.com/briankutys
  • oppie1oppie1 Posts: 755
    long red wrote:
    the only thing good about it is Meg's ass on the inner-sleeve.

Meg could quite possibly be the ugliest woman in rock.. she is hideous.

my fav girls in rock/metal are
    Christina from Lacuna Coil
    Maria from In This Moment
    Lacey from Flyleaf
    Amy Winehouse
    BoyHitsCar Masked Street Team
    www.lovecorealliance.com

Upcoming boyhitscar concerts:
    11/7/07 - Allentown Pa
    11/11/07 - Hartford Ct

www.myspace.com/briankutys
  • lalalalaaaaaaaalalalalaaaaaaaa Posts: 2,445
    I don't think Jack White is a genius...not even close. But I don't think his band sucks either. It's just simple garage pop...I'm not totally amazed by it, but it's kinda neat in a way. I don't think they'll be remembered in 30 years though.

And it's completely retarded to actually hate an artist because you don't like him and other people do. Live and let live for gad sake.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,258
    i just like a full band in concert ,i don't mind the 2 peice for the studio ......otherwise i tend to agree with the thread starter .....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    i don't really like their music too much. There's always a few bright spots on their albums for me but nothing i would go out and buy. I was thinking about buying icky thump after q101 in chicago played it all the way through a week before it came out, and i kind of liked it, but then jack white called up the station and told the dj that she's ruining the music industry. It really pissed me off because i had no intention of buying it until i heard the album and then he complained so fuck it i decided not to pick it up.
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • Two BirdsTwo Birds Posts: 256
    I at the last minute decided to go see the W.S. Sat. night. I really liked the Album Elephant when it came out and hadn't listened to much prior. They are doing a Canadian tour right now quite simliar to PJ's tour of Canada in 05 - quite extensive. Everywhere they have played so far they have been playing in a secret venue prior to their show. In Winnipeg they played on a city bus....Toronto at a kids 8-12yrs. YMCA day Camp, in London at a Flour mill. People can complain but I think they have huge hearts and a great sense of humor, which is SO needed today. They are being true to themselves and that says alot.

Peace,
    Peace,
    Saturnal wrote:
    And it's completely retarded to actually hate an artist because you don't like him and other people do. Live and let live for gad sake.

I hate them because their music sucks. Their constant praise just makes me hate them more.

I mean, come on... even a thread titled "So who here besides me DOESN'T like the White Stripes?" is filled with White Stripes kiss-assery.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • eclecticeclectic Posts: 244
    Alex_Coe wrote:
    I call BS on 2 and 6. It's one thing to call them a shit band, because that's what the pit is about is expressing your opinion... but 2 and 6 are practically libel.

2) The White Stripes are possibly the least pretentious band on the palnet. They don't have any defining image whatsoever. Each album cover has them wearing a completely different outfit, and they don't talk with any special accent. During every JW interview I've ever seen, Jack acted totally natural. Jack isn't even a little eccentric until he gets on stage. Maybe by pretentious you mean use of "the three colors", but that's a style choice, nothing more. How can a color scheme be pretentious?

6) Jack is a pretty good guitarist. Not the best, but he's pretty good. Certainly he's overrated when they say 'jack White iss GOD', but you're overcompensating for the fanatics camp. Both sides are dead wrong.

"He's a god!"

"No, he's terrible."

The fact of the matter is, Jack is a pretty good guitarist, and exaggerating his abilities (good or bad) won't change what he is.

1, 3, 4, and 5 are sometimes true. Blech. But not always.

2 and 6 are practically libel!??
    They deliberately look like walking corpses bedecked in pretty much the same colours.That is a pretentious image to me which you at least semi agreed to.
    Also you openly admit to JW being a pretty good guitarist which is pretty much what I said!
    I am confused?
    'All the rusted signs,we ignore throughout our lives,
    Choosing the shiny ones instead'

Reading 06 - Torino 06 - Wembley 07
  • lalalalaaaaaaaalalalalaaaaaaaa Posts: 2,445
    DOSW wrote:
    I hate them because their music sucks.

ya well..that's just you know like...your opinion man
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    I don't think I've ever heard a White Strips song that I actually like, even a little.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    They FUCKING SUCK!
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• MJSB74MJSB74 Posts: 75
    yosi wrote:
    I don't think I've ever heard a White Strips song that I actually like, even a little.

What he said.
  • PJ-SinPJ-Sin Posts: 348
    I got two words...

THEY SUCK BIG DONKEY BALLS!!!! (ok more that two)
  • you're all out of your fucking minds.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • pearljam0000pearljam0000 Posts: 450
    I love the White Stripes I don't care.
    eclectic wrote:
    I hate them with a passion as well!

1.One of THE most overrated bands on the planet

2.Pretentious

3.Shit singer

4.Equally shit drummer

5.Shit live(I seen them headline Reading in 05 and they were woefully out of their depth and they were self indulgent in the extreme, with bum notes all over the place.Excruciatingly painful vocals as well.

6.He isn't that good a guitarist(Pseudo blues with no real essence of what Blues is all about.....FEEL-Try listening to Rory Gallagher to put someone like JW in perspective!

Maybe rename them 'The Shite Wipes'

No, I'm quite sure you made yourself clear.

EDIT: Have you ever listened to Stop Breaking Down? Listen to the Robert Johnson version, then the JW version. Jack blows RJ out of the water.
    eclectic wrote:
    2 and 6 are practically libel!??
    They deliberately look like walking corpses bedecked in pretty much the same colours.That is a pretentious image to me which you at least semi agreed to.
    Also you openly admit to JW being a pretty good guitarist which is pretty much what I said!
    I am confused?

An outfit can't be pretentious, you twat.

pre·ten·tious /prɪˈtɛnʃəs/

–adjective
    1. full of pretense or pretension.
    2. characterized by assumption of dignity or importance.
    3. making an exaggerated outward show; ostentatious.
  • TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
    I understand everyone here has opinions but come on, Jack White is a great vocalist and guitarist, I only own White Blood Cells and the Elephant album but both are amazing records, yes the drumming is very basic, but if you want boring complicated songs go listen to Tool!
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
  • eclecticeclectic Posts: 244
    Alex_Coe wrote:
    An outfit can't be pretentious, you twat.

–adjective
    3. making an exaggerated outward show; ostentatious.[/QUO

Its not just an outfit its an image of which the outfit is an integral part.

So you are suggesting that DEFINITION no.3 doesn't encompass them...........you THROBBING BELLEND!!
    'All the rusted signs,we ignore throughout our lives,
    Choosing the shiny ones instead'

Reading 06 - Torino 06 - Wembley 07
    eclectic wrote:

–adjective
    3. making an exaggerated outward show; ostentatious.

Its not just an outfit its an image of which the outfit is an integral part.

So you are suggesting that DEFINITION no.3 doesn't encompass them...........you THROBBING BELLEND!!

Well I don't know what a THROBBING BELLEND is, but if it is an ERECT PENIS, that was not very nice.
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    they're below average

its a 2 piece band with a horrible drummer:confused:
  • PearlStripesPearlStripes Posts: 267
    Opinions are subjective and that's fine. But Jack White a shitty guitarist?

I suppose Jimmy Page just poses for a pic with anyone who plays a guitar huh? Must have been paid for it or something..

Whatever

http://www.themodernage.org/uploaded_images/jimmy-page-colour65-760064.jpg
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    Opinions are subjective and that's fine. But Jack White a shitty guitarist?

I suppose Jimmy Page just poses for a pic with anyone who plays a guitar huh? Must have been paid for it or something..

Whatever

http://www.themodernage.org/uploaded_images/jimmy-page-colour65-760064.jpg

he can play and write
    she sucks
    but i dont own any albums,heard alot of new one
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    i just dont like there sound and its not my taste
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    I really do not like them at all.