So who here besides me DOESN'T like the White Stripes?

Comments

• i think they fucking suck...........people who defend meg white by saying "she is always right on time" need to get a freaking clue......i can go down the street and find a shitty bar band with a drummer who is "always right on time" its called being a drummer........
  • eclecticeclectic Posts: 244
    Alex_Coe wrote:
    Well I don't know what a THROBBING BELLEND is, but if it is an ERECT PENIS, that was not very nice.

I wasn't overly enamoured with being called a TWAT, which I would also include in the 'not very nice' bracket.The direct rudeness was instigated by you after all,,but its all in the cause of healthy debate so no hard feelings my side.
    'All the rusted signs,we ignore throughout our lives,
    Choosing the shiny ones instead'

Reading 06 - Torino 06 - Wembley 07
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Alex_Coe wrote:
    Well I don't know what a THROBBING BELLEND is, but if it is an ERECT PENIS, that was not very nice.

Not the whole of the erect penis, just the head, hope that helps.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • SoupySoupy Posts: 171
    I only own 'White Blood Cells' and 'Elephant' both are ok but contain way to much filler material, so i've lost interest in them. I also saw them live at Reading 05 and they aren't that special live either.

Oh and anyone who think Meg is sexy should have gone to specsavers.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,848
    they are ok
    I appreciate what they do, but I dont really get into it
    small doses
  • chaos345chaos345 Posts: 30
    The white stripes are one of my least favorite bands ever.
    ----
    I like Pearl Jam.
    www.myspace.com/emosadcry
  • EBowieEBowie Posts: 532
    The White Stripes KICK ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • It took me a long time to love the White Stripes, I succumbed last year and got Elephant on vinyl, I really like the new album and will purchasing it on the black circle as well.

Having listened to De je stil I will be putting that on my want list as well and S/T & White Blood Cells will following shortly.

These albums really benefit from vinyl and I can't wait to have the WS back cat on the premier format.

It's funny because I dismissed this band the first time I heard WBC and continued right up to a few years ago and finally fell under the genius of seven nation army.

I'm quite happy to get into bands at my own leisure and don't feel the pressure of the NME et all to join the countless sheep.

I feel some bands need to work their way under my skin and it may take years unlike the mighty PJ who I've been into since Alive was released in 92 in the UK.

Kings of Leon have been the same, really fell in love with new one and have found a real passion for Youth & young manhood especially since I got the gorgeous 10" gate fold double vinyl. Though in all fairness I really couldn't stand them until quite recently, the new album did the trick.

I do feel a trend though since I warmed to some bands that my mates have been turning off, one in particular things Kings new one is shit.

Each to their own I guess.
  • MCGMCG Posts: 780
    I don't like the White Stripes but the Recanteurs ain't too shabby.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • I love the White Stripes and honestly believe Jack White is one of the greatest guitarists in today's music. I'm 42 years old, so I've listened to my fair share of rock music. I find the White Stripes lyrics clever, witty, charming ...their music raw but fresh, unique and innovative. The White Stripes are very entertaining live. They have a Vaudeville or minstral punk vibe that is highly original and only they seem to pull it off.

I'm not into pretentious musicianship. I don't understand why Meg gets trashed for not being a great drummer. She's never off beat and her rhythm compliments Jack's raw energy perfectly. She doesn't need to sit behind a massive drum kit with 40 different bells and cymbals a la Danny Carey. She's perfect. I don't buy a White Stripes album for intense musicianship. I like my music with little imperfections and lots of feedback. I like my rock music with some angst and craziness. I like my rock music straight from the garage.

What makes the White Stripes so original is any kid with a guitar and a will to play it feels like he/she could (in turn) produce such a creative, limitless, raw music w/o feeling the need to become formally trained in intricate fretwork.

There's a difference b/t being a great musician and being a great artist. Jack White falls into both categories. He proves music doesn't have to be complex to work. Matter of fact some of the simple stuff he does is his most brilliant. To produce the music he does as a two piece is why he is hailed with such genious.

I understand your opinion and likewise I can parallel with my own disdain for Explosions in the Sky. This band has been critically acclaimed for basically producing boring instumentals. I have trouble understanding the following this band has.

Beautiful post.
    Driving in my car, smoking a cigar. The only time I'm happy is when I play my guitar.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
  • Beautiful post.

That is a great post...

I never realized the White Stripes were so polorizing?

I agree with some, that the Raconteurs album was better than any White Stripes album...up to that point.

However, Icky Thump is just as good in my mind (perhaps better) as the Raconteurs album.
  • glasshouse wrote:
    the white stripes are a funky, hip, alternative rock band with a unique voice and some fucking hilarious lyrics. they've never indicated that they take themselves too seriously.

hard for me to find wrong in that formula. i like them.

that's what I say. for what they are, they are pretty good.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    glasshouse wrote:
    the white stripes are a funky, hip, alternative rock band with a unique voice and some fucking hilarious lyrics. they've never indicated that they take themselves too seriously.

Bullshit. Jack White called in to the radio station that played Icky Thump in full before it was released to whine about how they're ruining his 'art' and the music industry.

If that's not taking yourself too seriously, I don't know what is.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • DOSW wrote:
    Bullshit. Jack White called in to the radio station that played Icky Thump in full before it was released to whine about how they're ruining his 'art' and the music industry.

To me, that doesn't have to have anything to do with taking himself too seriously. I'm an artist and I don't take my work too seriously to say the least...but that doesn't mean I want it used in just any way either.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Strangest TribeStrangest Tribe Posts: 2,502
    i think they fucking suck...........people who defend meg white by saying "she is always right on time" need to get a freaking clue......i can go down the street and find a shitty bar band with a drummer who is "always right on time" its called being a drummer........

Who cares how good she is...she doesn't claim to be.

I don't recall her on the cover of modern drummer. wtf?

she's a drummer and she's in The White Stripes selling a ton of music and consistently releasing new material (which is more than we can say about PJ at the moment) at least an album a year.
    the Minions
  • Evanston29Evanston29 Posts: 35
    DOSW, nice sig. :)

I respect the White Stripes for doing their thing, but none of their music has ever appealed to me. Although, it's better than most of what is out these days.
    06/06/03, 07/06/06

And I learned that I was a liar
    Just like you
  • Who cares how good she is...she doesn't claim to be.

a lot of people care about stuff like that.

music is subjective (of course), but i would never listen to a musician who i didn't personally think was good (regardless of whether or not he/she claimed to be).

she's a drummer and she's in The White Stripes selling a ton of music and consistently releasing new material (which is more than we can say about PJ at the moment) at least an album a year.

Exactly! What they are missing as far as total package genius... they more than make up for with guitar work, songwriting, inventiveness, originality and style. They are their own band and good for them!

-Oscar Wilde
    I don't know why we're pissin and moanin about the White Stripes anyway. They're cool with me

I think we should be ranting about why do people like the empty, lifeless, colorless, money grabbin corporate machines like Fall Out Boy, Nickleback, Puddle of Mud, etc.

And what the fuck are you people anyway... American Idol Judges?

Lets see:

Randy Jackson: Jack White, Ya know ya my dawg.....but you gots to lose the poor drummer you got. Ya know what I'm sayin dawg.

Paula: It was OK...I think Jack was a little pitchy in parts...maybe you missed a note here and there. It was OK. I liked the suits you guys wore tonight.

Simon Cowell: You guys sound like you're trying out for a high school talent show but just got beat out by the Olivia Newton John wannabe.
    just horrible *sigh*
    the Minions
  • oppie1oppie1 Posts: 755

I think we should be ranting about why do people like the empty, lifeless, colorless, money grabbin corporate machines like Fall Out Boy, Nickleback, Puddle of Mud, etc.
    in my mind the white stripes fall into the category with rest of those bands
    BoyHitsCar Masked Street Team
    www.lovecorealliance.com

Upcoming boyhitscar concerts:
    11/7/07 - Allentown Pa
    11/11/07 - Hartford Ct

www.myspace.com/briankutys
  • PearlStripesPearlStripes Posts: 267
    If you want to talk overrated bands, lets talk Dave Mathews.
    ~Yawn~
    oppie1 wrote:
    in my mind the white stripes fall into the category with rest of those bands

and then PJ for that matter then
    the Minions
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    DOSW wrote:

That's not taking yourself seriously, it's just calling out bad manners !! If everyone else waited until the scheduled release date, why not those guys.

It was uncool, like a kid barging the tuckshop line !
    Music is not a competetion.
  • the shit sounds pretty good to me and for a two piece band i gotta say GOD DAMN I LIKE SOME OF IT.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me

i reallt don't care how good she is just like i don't care about this band. I was merely pointing out what a dumb argument it is to justify meg white as a drummer by saying shes always "right on time"........so what......so are most other competent drummer on the planet
  • i reallt don't care how good she is just like i don't care about this band. I was merely pointing out what a dumb argument it is to justify meg white as a drummer by saying shes always "right on time"........so what......so are most other competent drummer on the planet
    shhh don't tell anybody but i think it's because she's a chick...people are like wow she's on time and everything...no way man!!
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
    shhh don't tell anybody but i think it's because she's a chick...people are like wow she's on time and everything...no way man!!

yeah, I believe a lot of people can't get past this. She's not a bad drummer and overall she carries more weight than your average drummer in any popular band. She's half of the performance. She's good enough to hold up the rhythm of the band and w/o a bass player she's got to be bringing it hard.
    I can't see people trashing her...she does what she is supposed to do.
    They're a souped up garage band and that's their schtick. She's not supposed to sound so polished like a drummer in a metal band or prog rock group.
    I'd say she's every bit as good as The Black Keys drummer and I think he's awesome.
    the Minions
  • Ya know, I respect peoples opinions, especially on music and I try not to get involved in this kind of silly debate (if that is what this is called) because to each their own in regards to their musical taste but how the fuck can someone rip on a band when they are pouring everything the got into their music. I mean if you don't like it then, fuck, don't listen to it, why the need to bitch about something like, Meg just isn't a good drummer? Well she might not be compared to others but within the context of their music she does exactly what she needs to do and that's it, nothing more, nothing less.
    Driving in my car, smoking a cigar. The only time I'm happy is when I play my guitar.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    Ya know, I respect peoples opinions, especially on music and I try not to get involved in this kind of silly debate (if that is what this is called) because to each their own in regards to their musical taste but how the fuck can someone rip on a band when they are pouring everything the got into their music. I mean if you don't like it then, fuck, don't listen to it, why the need to bitch about something like, Meg just isn't a good drummer? Well she might not be compared to others but within the context of their music she does exactly what she needs to do and that's it, nothing more, nothing less.

true this. i mean if this thread was called:
    who else beside me thinks metallica/guns n' roses/oasis suck balls i could have maybe gone along with it. but this is utter bollocks. and that's a fact
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
    DOSW wrote:
    I've spotted a few of you in the Avocado vs Icky Thump thread, so I know you're out there. The White Stripes have a few decent songs- hell, I even liked them a little bit after I heard Elephant- but their library as a whole consists of 90% shit. What makes it even worse is the praise they get from everyone around here- things like how "Jack White is a GENIUS" and how Meg White's drumming "fits the White Stripes' style" (yeah... it fucking sucks). I'm sure a lot of people who were pissed off by Chris Cornell's constant praise know exactly what I'm talking about. Jack White is a horrible singer. Meg White is the shittiest drummer I've ever heard... she probably could get better, but Jack White doesn't let her. Why? Because he's a pretentious asshole, that's why. Good guitarist, bad everything else.

Here's a little anecdote which is a good example of why I have so much disdain for them. The other day my sister turned on a concert clip where they were playing The Hardest Button to Button. Everyone in the fucking crowd was pogoing to it... which would have been cool, IF the intro consisted of more than just a drum pounding over and over with a single guitar note played simultaneously. Why the hell was everyone so excited? Why, I say? It wasn't cool, it wasn't rocking, it wasn't edgy. ANYONE could do that. It was just one drum beat and one guitar note played over and over again and people were worshipping it like it was the greatest thing they've ever heard. THAT'S why I hate them. Their music sucks and people think it's great.

But after all, isn't that why people hate the music they hate? *sigh* Sorry for the rant, White Stripes fans. Carry on. I just needed to let it out.

It's all for

FUN

Entertainment

it's punk rock...we set aside the talent for the creativity and the FUN.

"teenage angst has paid off well, now I'm bored and old, self-appointed judges judge...more than they sold" Cobain

"some people are here for the music, some people are here for the art, some are here for the drugs, I'm here to go crazy" Iggy Pop

"9 out of 10 of the best musicians still live with Mom and wait tables for a living" Flea
    the Minions