Options

guns n' roses

Comments

• Options
    KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    Guns N' Roses frontman Axl Rose has announced that four upcoming shows will be canceled so the band can concentrate on their new album, Chinese Democracy -- which now has a tentative release date of March 6.

http://web.gunsnroses.com/index.jsp
  • Options
    mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    DCGARDEN wrote:

Finally some communication from Axl Rose , I cannot believe it - Sucks that he cancelled more shows, but if it does in fact mean the eventual release of this album, then I guess it's a good thing

You said it best, Finally!! If this has been a problem all along why didn't the assface say something sooner?? Love how all the blame falls on management which he is no longer associated with. Grow a pair, admit to being the recluse freak that you are, with your obsession of cancelling undersold concerts, release this overhyped piece of trash that you have been dangling in front of fans for 10+ years (of which I am not one) and Move the Fuck On!!!! At least Clay Fucking Aiken can continue to put out god awful music on a regular basis!
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • Options
    holtzholtz Posts: 509
    mookie9999 wrote:
    Grow a pair, admit to being the recluse freak that you are, with your obsession of cancelling undersold concerts,

Lots of bands cancel undersold shows, such as the Dixie Chicks.
  • Options
    DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    All's I was saying was that, yeah, no one can deny that the man is insane - but I would take issue with anyone saying he does'nt have ability. It's been a long road to get here, and it probably will be impossible for this album to live up to 15 years worth in the making - but something just tells me that this album is going to be one hell of a rock epic.

But that's just me...
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
  • Options
    DCGARDEN wrote:
    All's I was saying was that, yeah, no one can deny that the man is insane - but I would take issue with anyone saying he does'nt have ability. It's been a long road to get here, and it probably will be impossible for this album to live up to 15 years worth in the making - but something just tells me that this album is going to be one hell of a rock epic.

But that's just me...

As much as I hate to admit it, this album will probably kick ass, and I'll get it the first day it comes out out of sheer curiosity.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    DCGARDEN wrote:
    but something just tells me that this album is going to be one hell of a rock epic.
    based on the leaks so far..its heading for that direction..
    am glad Axl has finally released a tentative release date..am confident 2007 will be the year.

Now Merck has an open letter too..
    Former GUNS N' ROSES manager Merck Mercuriadis has issued the following "open letter" to the group's fans:

"Along with all of the other GUNS N' ROSES fans around the world I read 'An Open Letter To The Fans From Axl' this evening with much interest. About half way through it occurred to me that I had read much of this before. In fact, I had written the blueprint for it in an email for Axl's attention two days ago which I have copied below.

"The reality is all of this year's touring was planned and agreed between Axl and myself, with a view to the album being in the stores before the 31st of December '06. This was confirmed by Axl in numerous interviews — most famously at the MTV Video Music Awards. We planned the tour in February, just after Axl's birthday and we were supposed to finish the album in May, before it started. We sent our engineers to New York, where we all waited, for over a month, for the muse to come but she never arrived. We then scheduled sessions in London in August and had our engineers meet us there at the end of the English tour. August came and went and once again the muse did not show. We postponed our proposed radio date of Labour Day for the first single and we came back to L.A. and tried to finish before the San Francisco, Las Vegas and Los Angeles shows but yet again she eluded us. Axl then asked me to postpone the North American tour which was due to start on 24th of September by a month and finally, early in that period after the euphoria of Inland Invasion, Axl made a breakthrough and got two or three very productive days under his belt.

"At this point we were very excited as Axl's feeling was that we had two or three days of work left to tidy things up and we still had three weeks before the tour started, so we were in good shape. Unfortunately the muse disappeared just as fast as she came and the tour started with no single at radio to support it and the album still needing two or three days of work. Despite this, it was a break through period as Robin, Bumblefoot and Frank had all made important contributions to the album that made it even stronger. By the way none of the above is meant as a criticism of Axl. It is the reality of trying to create something special under incredible pressure from the public — that wants and DEMANDS the record — and the record industry — that NEEDS it. The creative process is not something you can dictate and Axl is a true artist.

"At this time I seriously considered postponing the start of the tour, again, as the album was of paramount importance but the reality was that our historic track record left us with very little good will with you, the fans, and we needed the money to be able to complete the album and keep the band alive. We scheduled sessions in New York and once again sent the engineers there for the first two weeks of November while the tour was based there — but the hectic touring schedule meant nothing got done. The record company refused to conclude the renegotiation until we were ready to hand over the finished album and refused to prepare a marketing campaign or commission video treatments until they had it in their hands. This is still their position as of this week.

"At this point despite the success of many of the dates on the tour the pressure on all of us became unbearable. While some of Axl's letter is disappointing — As John Lennon once asked Paul McCartney 'How Do You Sleep?' — until you have walked a mile in his shoes you cannot begin to comprehend the pressure he is under. I know I sleep well at night in the knowledge that when 'Chinese Democracy' hits the streets in March that it is in large part down to my efforts over the last almost 5 years. I found the money and the motivation to keep Axl and the band alive and get the record made when everyone else had given up and walked away. We worked as a team united to make 'Chinese Democracy' a reality. In the end the album will speak for itself but our relationship could not survive the pressure.

"I have no regrets. I believe 'Chinese Democracy' is one of the best albums ever made, Axl Rose is one of the greatest vocalists and frontmen and the new GUNS N' ROSES (which kicks the shit out of the old) is one of the greatest bands. What we accomplished in 2006 only hints at what is to come.

"I believe in Axl Rose. I am the artist's manager and it is my responsibility and job to take the heat. I promise you 'Chinese Democracy' is worth it and you should keep the faith. I will walk away knowing I have done my best and that next year will see Axl recognized not only as a great singer and rock icon but as one of the greatest artists of all time.

"Merry Christmas and all the best to you for 2007!

"Merck Mercuriadis

"P.S.: I apologize to all the fans irked by my facetious comments regarding the release date to Rolling Stone magazine. They were meant to poke fun at a magazine that had announced a definitive release date, causing us all lots of grief, when none had been set. Unfortunately many of you took them to heart and for that I am sorry."

"Begin forwarded message:

Date: 12 December 2006 14:11:02 GMT-08:00
    Subject: Album Press Release

"Regardless of the issues that exist between Axl and myself, I believe it is important for an announcement on the album to be put out this week and at the same time cover the cancellation of the 5 shows in January. Further to this I have thought about the album release date taking into account the issues between Axl and myself and my view is that the album should be set for release on the 20th of March rather than the 6th of February. March 20th is the first day of spring and a positive day. This allows for three months to set it up properly around the world without unmanageable pressure and for it to be well imbedded in the market place before the summer lull sets in. It also allows for the deal to be done with the label and any change in management etc which may be made to be made as well as detailed meetings on the touring which on this basis would start in Dubai just before the album's release. The note will be most effective if it comes from Axl as he will then be seen as the good guy who is giving people the information they want. Having said that it could come from either Howard or myself or both of us. I have presented two options the first not giving a release date and the second one stating it. The message would be posted as the lead story on gunsnroses.com and we would then point all of the media there. I would appreciate it if you would all let me know your thoughts on all of this keeping in mind that this is a work in progress.

"Option 1

"Merry Christmas To You All

"We are into the last week of the tour and Christmas is almost here so I wanted to take the time not only to wish you Merry Christmas but to also explain why 'Chinese Democracy' is not under your tree or in the stores as we wanted it would be. We read the papers and we know you want — demand! — news. We have been in the final stages of renegotiating our deal with our record label and it has been a long slow process — not unlike making the record! The discussion started over a year ago but did not become serious until they started hearing the mixes. Everyone involved has worked hard to get the deal completed so we could get the record out this month but a few weeks ago it became obvious that was not going to happen. We then held out as we wanted to at least be able to give you the release date before Christmas but unfortunately we are still not there yet. This is not meant to spark a hate campaign on the label. This is an unusual and complicated situation as we have worked a long time on this album and it is important to us to make sure that everything including the deal is right. At the same time it is a business that has to work for everyone involved. We have all — you included — waited a long time for this and this is not the time to compromise. The first news you will hear from us in 2007 will be to announce the album's release date. Without the album out it does not make sense to do the 5 shows we have scheduled for January in isolation so they are being cancelled and we will focus on getting the album out. Until that time we want to thank you for all of your support in 2006 and wish you all the best for the holidays and a happy new year.

"W. Axl Rose

"Option 2

"Merry Christmas To You All

"We are into the last week of the tour and Christmas is almost here so I wanted to take the time not only to wish you Merry Christmas but to also explain why 'Chinese Democracy' is not under your tree or in the stores as we wanted it to be. We read the papers and we know you want — demand! — news. We have been in the final stages of renegotiating our deal with our record label and it has been a long slow process — not unlike making the record! The discussion started over a year ago but did not become serious until they started hearing the mixes. Everyone involved has worked hard to get the deal completed so we could get the record out this month but a few weeks ago it became obvious that was not going to happen. We have all — you included — waited a long time for this and this was not the time to compromise. We then held out on making an announcement as we wanted to at least be able to give you the release date before Christmas so here it is. 'Chinese Democracy' will be released on the 20th of March in the US and Canada — the first day of spring and a time for new beginnings! — and on the 19th of March everywhere else in the world. Without the album out it does not make sense to do the 5 shows we have scheduled for January in isolation so they are being cancelled and we will focus on getting the album out. We want to thank you for all of your support in 2006 and wish you all the best for the holidays and a happy new year. We look forward to seeing you in 2007!

"W. Axl Rose"
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • Options
    mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    holtz wrote:
    Lots of bands cancel undersold shows, such as the Dixie Chicks.

Both bands alienated their fans and deserve whatever they get. If you're going to criticize the president, and the majority of your fanbase thinks the Prez is amazing, maybe you should try and make an inteligent statement about how much of an idiot he is (god know there are plenty of examples) other than him hailing from there home state.
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • Options
    DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    Looks like Axl played last night in California and got Lars Ulrich to play the drums for OUt to Get Me

That must've been pretty cool
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
  • Options
    elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    March??????? fuckin piss take!
  • Options
    this album will never be released. apparently axl is recording tracks in nyc right now...so much for march...or ever.
    Whats got the whole world faking?
  • Options
    elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    I think its coming at some time this year.

over xmas I downloaded a supposed demo version of the album, or at least it was the leaked songs. IRS, Better, Madegasgar, Oh my God and Chinese Democracy I think are top songs, others Im not too sure about(blues being one)
  • Options
    amentvedderamentvedder Posts: 3,610
    elmer wrote:
    I think its coming at some time this year.

over xmas I downloaded a supposed demo version of the album, or at least it was the leaked songs. IRS, Better, Madegasgar, Oh my God and Chinese Democracy I think are top songs, others Im not too sure about(blues being one)

Better is in my top 5 songs right now, just love it
  • Options
    bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,040
    icarus wrote:
    The New Single Leaked!!!

link? Which one is it?
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    02/20/2007 3:00 PM, Yahoo! Music

The seminal Guns N' Roses lineup is edging closer to reforming, according to original drummer Steven Adler.

Adler is understood to have recently reconciled with singer Axl Rose, prompting suggestions that the band might get back together.

In recent months, Rose has been touring with the current incarnation of the Gunners, as the only member of the original lineup.

However, Adler claims his conversation with Axl could yet lead to them rejoining Slash, Izzy Stradlin, and Duff McKagan onstage and in the studio.

He commented: "I saw Axl, talked with him from 10 or 12 at night to 8 in the morning. We resolved a lot of sh-t. I said, 'You know the five of us have to get back together! That's when it will really take off again! Nothing will be bigger. It would be the biggest reunion ever in history.'

"He just grinned and giggled a little bit," said Adler.

He concluded: "I've been talking with Slash. I've been talking with Izzy. He wants a reunion."

Guns N' Roses are tentatively scheduled to release the long-awaited new album, Chinese Democracy, next month.

http://music.yahoo.com/read/news/40121743
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    i would have to agree with Adler that this would be the biggest reunion ever ....this would be bigger than the overhyped Police reunion
  • Options
    Axl is a washed up douche.
    He's about as classy as the word "douche"
    Can't stand him.

What a douche-bag
    puts his faith in love and, tremor christ.

"I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback."
  • Options
    this would be absolutely insane. greatest reunion ever.

but i'm not gonna get my hopes up until i see them walk out on stage.

there are way too many variables here.
  • Options
    icarus wrote:
    why are you guys talking about a reunion thats not going to happen? adler doesn't know wtf he's talking about.

get the new song.

yeah, that's why i said i'm not gonna get my hopes up.

i kinda like the new song. it would have benefited immeasurably from slash's guitar though.
  • Options
    Izzy Stradlin IMO was the glue that held the band together. As Axl's friend from Indiana he was the one who seemed to have a calming effect on Rose. Once he split, probably because he got tired of the shit, the band went south. Axl started to wear those fucking biker spandex shorts and his ego went even further through the roof. He also co-wrote and sang the down and fucking dirty rock songs of the band, "It's So Easy, Mr. Brownstone, You Ain't the First, Dust and Bones, Bad Obsession, 14 Years, Patience, and You Could Be Mine", to just name a few. I think even Slash said in an interview once that it would take getting Izzy back to reconcile. I don't think Izzy ever got the deserved credit of being one of the founders that he deserved, granted Slash is a better guitar player.

Back in the 80's the band was untouchable, nothing in rock' n' roll had the edge like G' N' R. It's too bad that Axl fucked it all up, they would have been the best ever.
    "She knows there is no success like failure
    And that failure's no success at all."

"Don't ya think its sometimes wise not to grow up."

"Cause life ain't nothing but a good groove
    A good mixed tape to put you in the right mood."
  • Options
    icarus wrote:
    to be honest, if slash was in gnr right now he'd probably sound nothing like the old days. he's washed up now and nothing he's done since gnr has been any good.

well it's tough to say what would happen. i'm not sold on the new axl at this point either. maybe a reunited GNR would regain its old form, maybe it wouldn't. who knows?

the new song is dominated by vocals, which i'm sure was axl's intention. what i'm missing here is the trademark GNR guitar work behind these vocals... izzy and slash. i like the vocal line a lot but i could really use a heavy riff behind it.

also, i don't care much for the solo. it's technically fine, but i feel it lacks the emotion of slash's old solos.

either way, i'll give chinese democracy a chance... if it ever does come out.
  • Options
    UKDaveUKDave Posts: 5,557
    Local record store now has 17th SEPTEMBER... as the release date :rolleyes:
    Astoria Crew
    Troubled souls unite, we got ourselves tonight...
    Astoria, Dublin, Reading 06
    Katowice, Wembley 07
    SBE, Manchester, O2 09
    Hyde Park 10
    Manchester 1&2 12
    This is just g'bye for now...
  • Options
    Yeah it is not surpising that the new gnr cd is delayed again. I knew march was way too soon. For one they just finished it up for what I heard. I also it takes 8 weeks to get manufactured from what Axl has said in the past. I am guessing there would be a month or so of promotion or more for the album before it was released. Like a radio promotion for the first single or cd before it was released. This would be a nation wide radio promotion tour where they play a few songs live at a radio station and play a couple songs of the new album for promo. A lot of bands do this. I would expect acustic songs to be played at the radio promotion tour.

Also, I would bet there would be some reviews and stuff in magazines before it came out. Maybe a video. So wait and see. If there is no promotion going on then I would not expect the album. If they did spend as much as they say on the album they should promote this album to the fullest degree before it comes out. You don't just put an album on the self and hope people buy it when the investment is so high. GNR have been away from the spot light for too long and new members are in the band. Thus, more effort will be needed to promote this album. Of course they all ready have a huge buzz factor and may sell many albums just because of that. Many will buy the album just to see what it is. But if this is the most expensive album ever then it will take a lot to recoup the costs.
  • Options
    DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    well it's tough to say what would happen. i'm not sold on the new axl at this point either. maybe a reunited GNR would regain its old form, maybe it wouldn't. who knows?

the new song is dominated by vocals, which i'm sure was axl's intention. what i'm missing here is the trademark GNR guitar work behind these vocals... izzy and slash. i like the vocal line a lot but i could really use a heavy riff behind it.

also, i don't care much for the solo. it's technically fine, but i feel it lacks the emotion of slash's old solos.

either way, i'll give chinese democracy a chance... if it ever does come out.

I agree with you about the new Better leak. The live versions are so much better because the guitars are louder and heavier... hopefully the final cut will sound more like that.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Options
    ^^^

Just listen to There Was a Time. That is pretty guitar driven, especially the second half of the song. When it is fully mixed/mastered that song is going to kick ass. The solo is epic!
    Whats got the whole world faking?
  • Options
    holtzholtz Posts: 509
    Axl performed over the weekend with some guy named Chris contogouris, Axl looks wasted in some of the pics.

29yieqd.jpg

2rh5ug9.jpg

2njbsjk.jpg

2eqgf4h.jpg

4cj3rc9.jpg
  • Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,736
    DOSW wrote:
    I agree with you about the new Better leak. The live versions are so much better because the guitars are louder and heavier... hopefully the final cut will sound more like that.

Hell yes. When I saw GNR in Huntington WV in November, the part towards the end where Axl screams "I never wanted you to be so full of anger! I never wanted you to be somebody else!" was just chilling. Fucking heavy, it was!
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    fanch75 wrote:
    Hell yes. When I saw GNR in Huntington WV in November, the part towards the end where Axl screams "I never wanted you to be so full of anger! I never wanted you to be somebody else!" was just chilling. Fucking heavy, it was!

How did Axl look during the show? Last time I saw him live was at the video music awards and he looked terrible but it sounds like he is better??

• Options
    How did Axl look during the show? Last time I saw him live was at the video music awards and he looked terrible but it sounds like he is better??

He looked alright. He had a gut, though. Sounded great; I've heard lots of GNR boots and he sounded very well the night i saw GNR in Nov 06.
  • Options
    fanch75 wrote:
    He looked alright. He had a gut, though. Sounded great; I've heard lots of GNR boots and he sounded very well the night i saw GNR in Nov 06.

Is Dizzy still with him? Who was playing guitars with him? Thanks for the info. Huge fan back in the day but a fan of the Use Your Illusion studio lineup.

• Options
    Is Dizzy still with him? Who was playing guitars with him? Thanks for the info. Huge fan back in the day but a fan of the Use Your Illusion studio lineup.

Dizzy was definitely there. There were two guitarists, Robin Finck, and some other wack-ass cracker that I don't remember. Great lineup, though. During the instrumental, they covered Christina Aguilera's "Beautiful." No shit. They did this at several shows.

THe new shit takes the UYI stuff to the next level. You'll like it.