Arcade Fire's 'Neon Bible' is as good as 'Ten'

Comments

• SLH916 wrote:
    I'm not sure that's true because my 14-year-old daughter and her friends turned me on to Pearl Jam just a few months ago after they had been fans for years.

I have a question about the Arcade Fire. I like them a lot, even though I don't think that Win Butler is as good a song writer as Eddie Vedder, but when I play their music, it seems to be people my age who like them, not a lot of kids. My daughter and her friends are much more into Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Who, and, yes, Pearl Jam than the newer indie type stuff. They call it old people's music. On the other hand I feel pretty comfortable playing Funeral for my 78-year-old aunt when I would never put on a Led Zeppelin album for her. What is going on here?

I would hazard a guess that it's because Aracade Fire have a good knowledge of sophisticated music; I don't like them because they fit into a genre I already liked (I usually HATE Indie, even if most of what I've heard is British) , but because their music is intelligent and thoughtful. I like any musician who gives careful thought to the way songs and albums are made. But they're not too 'catchy', hence the attitude of the littlens... your aunt probably has the patience and open mind to appreciate them (unlike some on this forum).

Incidentally, my 14 year old sister is a fan. :)
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • SLH916 wrote:
    On the other hand I feel pretty comfortable playing Funeral for my 78-year-old aunt when I would never put on a Led Zeppelin album for her. What is going on here?

How do you know your 78 year old aunt doesn't need a "Whole Lotta Love".
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • SLH916SLH916 Posts: 132
    How do you know your 78 year old aunt doesn't need a "Whole Lotta Love".

Hey, that's my theme song. She can't have it.
  • SLH916 wrote:
    Hey, that's my theme song. She can't have it.

Lol...."Waaaaaaay down inside. Woman you need me."

Fuck now I have to go listen to Zep II.
    one foot in the door
    -The Replacements-
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    im sure it is.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

what you smokin'?
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    This band just doesn't do much for me... I dug their first album, but Neon Bible just seems so boring to me. I guess I don't get it or something.

To each their own, I guess.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Well after hearing all of this talk about Arcade Fire (both good and bad) I decided to download Neon Bible today and listen to it with an open mind. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I must say I'm extremely impressed so far. It's very hard to describe what the music is like (some of it almost has a Springsteen feel to it), but I'm really liking it and I know it's going to get better as I listen to it more and more. I plan on buying it whenever the opportunity arises, because this band really seems genuine.

I can see why not everyone likes it, but I would encourage everyone who hasn't done so yet to check it out. I feel like I stumbled on something special here.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    DOSW wrote:
    Well after hearing all of this talk about Arcade Fire (both good and bad) I decided to download Neon Bible today and listen to it with an open mind. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I must say I'm extremely impressed so far. It's very hard to describe what the music is like (some of it almost has a Springsteen feel to it), but I'm really liking it and I know it's going to get better as I listen to it more and more. I plan on buying it whenever the opportunity arises, because this band really seems genuine.

I can see why not everyone likes it, but I would encourage everyone who hasn't done so yet to check it out. I feel like I stumbled on something special here.

FANTASTIC - if this thread reaches just one person then it has all been worthwhile ;)
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    Both times I seen em they covered Springsteen... he's definitely an influence on them
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • RockinInCanadaRockinInCanada Posts: 2,016
    DOSW wrote:

Good to hear....:)
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    DOSW wrote:

so what you are saying is you haven't heard their first album funeral yet..... :)

to me neon bible is a more consistant album, but songs like powerout, rebellion, and wake up are incrediable! Might want to keep that on the radar after you digest Neon Bible.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • RockinInCanadaRockinInCanada Posts: 2,016
    DOSW wrote:

Wait till you see them live....they are amazing....
  • Look out, I think Canada is in love.
    one foot in the door
    -The Replacements-
  • DOSW wrote:

Fuckin' A dude. Happy listening. We bought the album weeks ago and haven't taken it out the player yet.

Listen to Funeral next. Not as consistent as a whole imo, but has moments of greatness (many of 'em).
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    Funeral is a classic... Neon Bible is just a really good album
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • Arcade Fire

I just really got into this band recently. I bought Funeral before Neon Bible came out. Gave it a couple of listens but was kinda bored initially. THEN...when Neon Bible came out...I actually enjoyed it from the start. NOW...I have really started to get back into Funeral.

Both albums are super. Can't really compare them to PJ just yet. Different mood completely. I'm not sure Arcade Fire will ever be as popular as PJ. I'm thinking they'll achieve Modest Mouse status.

Now... Kings of Leon...here's a band that just keeps getting better.
    the Minions
  • One of my sisters tried to kill herself to the sound of an Arcade Fire CD, last year. I saved her. Fuck, thinking about it, I should have thrown Ten in the player, while I was bringing her around, just to demonstrate the life affirming difference between the two albums!

I'm serious, too.

Fuck 'em.
  • HaijayHaijay Posts: 376
    they suck for christ's sake.it's as bad as the shins.how could you compare it to ten? one is awesome, one sucks. you won't hear their name in three months
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    Haijay wrote:
    they suck for christ's sake.it's as bad as the shins.how could you compare it to ten? one is awesome, one sucks. you won't hear their name in three months

Arcade Fire are here to stay. Deal with it. They have made two absolutely epic albums. They are, along with Pearl Jam, the best live band I have ever seen. As a testament to that, the first time I saw them live, it was at the Coachella Valley Music Festival. Arcade Fire was put on the second stage in the late afternoon, an indication that the festival organizers did not expect them to draw a massive crowd. Out of 50,000 concert goers, I'd say 3/4 of them flocked to watch Arcade Fire perform. Everyone was dancing and rocking out. It is still the most magical live music performance of my life.

Arcade Fire will never sell albums like U2 or Pearl Jam once did. However, they will be around for a long, long time and will undoubtedly continue to grow and thrive.

I am constantly amazed by people on this board. First, we discredit anything that is not rock music, narrowing our musical scopes substantially. Then, we discriminate within the rock genre. If it doesn't have solos and huge leads, it sucks. If it uses unusual instruments, it sucks. If it is more focused on lyrics than on the music, it is boring. If it is indie, it is pretentious and a "flavor of the month." Music is such a vast and wonderful thing. There is so much amazing music out there, and yet so many close their minds off to 99.9% of it. I don't get it. Living life inside a tiny bubble just doesn't do it for me.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • As someone who like Pearl Jam but isn't obsessed with "Grunge" music, who also listens to a ton of different music I just need to pine in and say that I really think Arcade Fire are pretty overrated. The guys voice just sounds so indie pretentious that I can't really get into it.
    boroff89 wrote:

I am constantly amazed by people on this board. First, we discredit anything that is not rock music, narrowing our musical scopes substantially. Then, we discriminate within the rock genre. If it doesn't have solos and huge leads, it sucks. If it uses unusual instruments, it sucks. If it is more focused on lyrics than on the music, it is boring. If it is indie, it is pretentious and a "flavor of the month." Music is such a vast and wonderful thing. There is so much amazing music out there, and yet so many close their minds off to 99.9% of it. I don't get it. Living life inside a tiny bubble just doesn't do it for me.

this argument has been the bane of my existence all week.....you are fighting a losing battle here - believe me, I tried ;)
  • Isn't Arcade Fire a Roxy Music tribute band??????
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Fuckin' A dude. Happy listening. We bought the album weeks ago and haven't taken it out the player yet.

Listen to Funeral next. Not as consistent as a whole imo, but has moments of greatness (many of 'em).

Yeah, one of the things I really like about Neon Bible so far is that there really aren't any bad songs on it... Neon Bible (the song) is the only one that I can honestly say I don't like, but who knows if that will change. Some early standouts for me are Intervention and Antichrist Television Blues (I love the Springsteen-esque sound to that one).

I also have to print out a lyrics sheet or something so I can hear everything he's saying. Are the lyrics in the liner notes of the CD? Because if they are then I'll just forget printing out a sheet and just wait until I buy the CD.

Oh and by the way, the only Arcade Fire I've heard before this was their performance on SNL a few weeks ago.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • DOSW wrote:
    Yeah, one of the things I really like about Neon Bible so far is that there really aren't any bad songs on it... Neon Bible (the song) is the only one that I can honestly say I don't like, but who knows if that will change. Some early standouts for me are Intervention and Antichrist Television Blues (I love the Springsteen-esque sound to that one).

I also have to print out a lyrics sheet or something so I can hear everything he's saying. Are the lyrics in the liner notes of the CD? Because if they are then I'll just forget printing out a sheet and just wait until I buy the CD.

Oh and by the way, the only Arcade Fire I've heard before this was their performance on SNL a few weeks ago.

Yes the lyrics are all in the liner notes. And great lyrics they are too, especially Antichrist TV Blues and No Cars Go, imo.

Todd76 wrote:
    this argument has been the bane of my existence all week.....you are fighting a losing battle here - believe me, I tried ;)

Todd76,

You're a little too hard on the people who don't like the Arcade Fire. I liked Funeral a lot, but I'm not that crazy about Neon Bible. Does that make me closed-minded?

There are people out there who are open-minded, but Arcade Fire is just not to their taste. Are you as excited about Wolfmother's new album or anxiously awaiting something new from Hammerfall?
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    Todd76 wrote:

Yeah, I know. It just blows me away that people can only connect with a limited selection of music. It isn't the fact that people don't like Arcade Fire that bothers me. It's the arguments that are used. They are "pretentious." What the fuck does that mean? The "boring" argument also ticks me off, as Arcade Fire is more inventive and original than just about any other band that gets mentioned here. I am more open to arguments like "I prefer more blues-derived music." However, again, I find it sad that people are unable to connect with a variety of experiences. When people say things like, "The only album I bought this year was Pearl Jam's," or "I haven't bought any CDs this year because all the music sucks," I just find that disturbing. But that's me.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
    boroff89 wrote:
    When people say things like, "The only album I bought this year was Pearl Jam's," or "I haven't bought any CDs this year because all the music sucks," I just find that disturbing. But that's me.

unfortunately this is a fairly popular comment on this board
    SLH916 wrote:
    Todd76,

You're a little too hard on the people who don't like the Arcade Fire. I liked Funeral a lot, but I'm not that crazy about Neon Bible. Does that make me closed-minded?

There are people out there who are open-minded, but Arcade Fire is just not to their taste. Are you as excited about Wolfmother's new album or anxiously awaiting something new from Hammerfall?

my problem is that it seems the hate that Arcade Fire has generated on this board is really just a microcosm of alot of peoples opinions on all/most new music.....and I really dont think that most of the people are all that open-minded, I think that most probably have only given the band (or the majority of bands slagged in this movement) a passing glance and then wrote them off as weird or pretentious
    Todd76 wrote:
    my problem is that it seems the hate that Arcade Fire has generated on this board is really just a microcosm of alot of peoples opinions on all/most new music.....and I really dont think that most of the people are all that open-minded, I think that most probably have only given the band (or the majority of bands slagged in this movement) a passing glance and then wrote them off as weird or pretentious

I understand what you're saying, but have you read the kind of comments posted on the U2, RCHP, or Chris Cornell threads? Instead a lot of people have enthusiastically embraced the Arcade Fire, like DOSW.

This is a Pearl Jam fansite, but based on a lot of the comments on the Porch, you'd think that Eddie's voice has degenerated into a raspy gasp, and they are on the verge of selling their firstborn children in a desperate attempt to regain popularity. You may believe this yourself.

A lot of people who never post are reading these Other Band threads and finding all sorts of new and interesting music.

What we need now is for someone young and excited about music like you to start a Nigel Kennedy thread.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    boroff89 wrote:
    Yeah, I know. It just blows me away that people can only connect with a limited selection of music. It isn't the fact that people don't like Arcade Fire that bothers me. It's the arguments that are used. They are "pretentious." What the fuck does that mean? The "boring" argument also ticks me off, as Arcade Fire is more inventive and original than just about any other band that gets mentioned here. I am more open to arguments like "I prefer more blues-derived music." However, again, I find it sad that people are unable to connect with a variety of experiences. When people say things like, "The only album I bought this year was Pearl Jam's," or "I haven't bought any CDs this year because all the music sucks," I just find that disturbing. But that's me.

i think the boring is unsurprising. i know nothing about music theory and i dont know half the instruments on the album. i don't get any pleasure from something that is inventive or original cos i have no fucking clue what original is. i like them becos they sound soulful and their music has a vibe i connect with. but i can definitely understand how many would think they're boring. it took me a few listens to get funeral. nonetheless, a lot of people don't care for serious music. thus the fun music thread. i like to be able to dance to most of my music and arcade fire isn't exactly catchy or danceable. so to people who mainly like music for singing along in their car are dancing to the jukebox or bopping around at a show... arcade fire isn't gonna do it. and that makes sense.