Arcade Fire's 'Neon Bible' is as good as 'Ten'

1235»

Comments

• bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    i think Madonna makes dance music
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • Coming from someone who has always been into listening to bands, new music, seeing live shows I can honestly say this: The Arcade Fire . . .

Suck Zebra Balls.

I gave it a chance. There is a fine line between good and bad when you're trying to be creative with music. I find Arcade Fire on the bad side, where someone like Tool is on the good side.

I just don't get that "feeling" when I listen to them.
    NERDS!
  • UKDaveUKDave Posts: 5,557
    Back to the original statement...

disagree: much that I like Arcade Fire, and rate both albums, Neon Bible I don't think is the classic it is being made out to be, it starts well and it ends well but pretty stodgy in the middle... 4 out of 5 at a push for me... :o
    Astoria Crew
    Troubled souls unite, we got ourselves tonight...
    Astoria, Dublin, Reading 06
    Katowice, Wembley 07
    SBE, Manchester, O2 09
    Hyde Park 10
    Manchester 1&2 12
    This is just g'bye for now...
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    boroff89 wrote:
    However, again, I find it sad that people are unable to connect with a variety of experiences. When people say things like, "The only album I bought this year was Pearl Jam's," or "I haven't bought any CDs this year because all the music sucks," I just find that disturbing. But that's me.

This deserves to be quoted multiple times.

I just bought Neon Bible this morning. I don't want to miss out on something that gets people so excited, whether in a positive or negative light. I'm listening to it for the second time right now, and I've got to say it's quite good. Certainly epic and fascinating. I like the lyrics to the extent that I've understood them so far.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    bharQ wrote:
    i think Madonna makes dance music

i believe she does too. but let's be honest, pearl jam is a bit more conducive to even the whitest dancing (head banging or moshing or jumping up and down) than arcade fire's slow anthemic grooves. not that there's anything wrong with that. like i said, i like arcade fire. just saying, i can see how someone would find them kinda boring if that's not their style.
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    UKDave wrote:
    Back to the original statement...

disagree: much that I like Arcade Fire, and rate both albums, Neon Bible I don't think is the classic it is being made out to be, it starts well and it ends well but pretty stodgy in the middle... 4 out of 5 at a push for me... :o

I think it is fairly solid thorough out tracks 4, 5 and 6 and the rearanged No Cars Go been the best, but really like the album as a whole, being listening to it nearly everyday since getting it on release and have never skipped a song once.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
    Suck Zebra Balls.

I gave it a chance. There is a fine line between good and bad when you're trying to be creative with music. I find Arcade Fire on the bad side, where someone like Tool is on the good side.

I just don't get that "feeling" when I listen to them.

to each their own. tool bores the shit out of me. i can't tell any of their songs apart, each album sounds like one 78 minute self-indulgent song.
  • UKDaveUKDave Posts: 5,557
    I think it is fairly solid thorough out tracks 4, 5 and 6 and the rearanged No Cars Go been the best, but really like the album as a whole, being listening to it nearly everyday since getting it on release and have never skipped a song once.

Yeah, to be fair it's growing on me and No Cars Go is one of my favourites too but I won't be hailing it as a classic just yet... ;)
    Astoria Crew
    Troubled souls unite, we got ourselves tonight...
    Astoria, Dublin, Reading 06
    Katowice, Wembley 07
    SBE, Manchester, O2 09
    Hyde Park 10
    Manchester 1&2 12
    This is just g'bye for now...
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    i believe she does too. but let's be honest, pearl jam is a bit more conducive to even the whitest dancing (head banging or moshing or jumping up and down) than arcade fire's slow anthemic grooves. not that there's anything wrong with that. like i said, i like arcade fire. just saying, i can see how someone would find them kinda boring if that's not their style.

i remember "white dancing" at both arcade fire shows i went to... and i'm the 2nd brownest guy on the block!
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    to each their own. tool bores the shit out of me. i can't tell any of their songs apart, each album sounds like one 78 minute self-indulgent song.

Ditto. How is Tool making the same album six times exciting to anyone? I love Danny Carey's drumming, but outside of that, I find Tool incredibly dull.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,891
    I think they're so so. Their stuff is much better than all the other wimpy emo/indie garbage the zach braff lovers of the world gobble up. (I'm being completely sarcastic on the last part of that sentence, so don't get grumpy).

Btw, worst indie band: clap your hands say yeah. Man, that is some garbage.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • SLH916SLH916 Posts: 132
    boroff89 wrote:
    Ditto. How is Tool making the same album six times exciting to anyone? I love Danny Carey's drumming, but outside of that, I find Tool incredibly dull.

There's been a lot of talk about respecting other people's opinions on this board. Just because you love Arcade Fire, please don't start bashing Tool. They don't have a lot in common with Arcade Fire, and even though some of us love them, we understand that not everyone does.
  • i'd really like to understand how people like this total shit music. there are so many of you too. is this all a joke or something? i have listened to this album 5 times already all the way through and i can't get into it..i'm starting to get nervous here because after all you're all pearl jam fans here and usually the vast majority of us like the same type of stuff.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
    i'd really like to understand how people like this total shit music. there are so many of you too. is this all a joke or something? i have listened to this album 5 times already all the way through and i can't get into it..i'm starting to get nervous here because after all you're all pearl jam fans here and usually the vast majority of us like the same type of stuff.

Are you talking about Neon Bible or Tool?

If Neon Bible, I would try Funeral. If Tool, you hurt my feelings.

In either case, I respect your opinion, and I will fight anyone who doesn't.
  • SLH916 wrote:
    Are you talking about Neon Bible or Tool?

If Neon Bible, I would try Funeral. If Tool, you hurt my feelings.

In either case, I respect your opinion, and I will fight anyone who doesn't.
    was talking about neon bible. couldn't get into not one song.
    tool yes i like. but tool does have some similar sounding songs that if not an avid listener one would not be able to tell them apart, that i'd have to agree on. but hell at least they have some good songs. i heard all the arcade fire talk on here so i went and got the album and i hate it.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
    SLH916 wrote:
    There's been a lot of talk about respecting other people's opinions on this board. Just because you love Arcade Fire, please don't start bashing Tool. They don't have a lot in common with Arcade Fire, and even though some of us love them, we understand that not everyone does.

If you read my other posts on this thread, I state that I have no problem with others disliking Arcade Fire. I have many friends with outstanding taste in music who cannot get into them. That's fine. It is the the reasons listed that concern me. It is also the language used that concerns me.

With my Tool comment, I am simply wondering how Arcade Fire can be labeled boring and bands who do the same thing over and over again can be considered not boring. My opinion is that bands/artists that do nothing to grow musically over their careers are dull.

It seems like many here narrow their tastes to one distinctive style of music and trash anything that falls outside of that style. That bothers me. I also wish that people were a little more adept at explaining their perspective. I respect people's opinions when they can express them eloquently and intelligently. To say that all opinions should be respected and remain unchallenged is a fallacy of epic proportions. Eloquent and intelligent perspectives do not include referring to a band as pretentious without any further explanation. That does not include referring to music as whiny/emo shit. I would be far more respectful of "I just can't get into the singer's voice." Or again, "I just tend to like rock music that is more rooted in the blues." While those arguments are still lacking somewhat, it is better than what is getting tossed around here. Instead, people viciously attack the band that so many are clearly having a positive emotional reaction to. As I said far earlier in this thread, when I first heard Ten, it changed the way I listened to music. It opened up a new world for me. Right now, Neon Bible is doing the same thing. That's a powerful thing, and it seems to be happening to more than one person. Rather than shitting on those people, it seems far more worthwhile for those it is not happening to to either ignore us or say "Cool for you. Enjoy."
    i think the boring is unsurprising. i know nothing about music theory and i dont know half the instruments on the album. i don't get any pleasure from something that is inventive or original cos i have no fucking clue what original is. i like them becos they sound soulful and their music has a vibe i connect with. but i can definitely understand how many would think they're boring. it took me a few listens to get funeral. nonetheless, a lot of people don't care for serious music. thus the fun music thread. i like to be able to dance to most of my music and arcade fire isn't exactly catchy or danceable. so to people who mainly like music for singing along in their car are dancing to the jukebox or bopping around at a show... arcade fire isn't gonna do it. and that makes sense.

Actually, I see far more people dancing at Arcade Fire concerts than at Pearl Jam concerts. See my Coachella story earlier in the thread.
    boroff89 wrote:
    If you read my other posts on this thread, I state that I have no problem with others disliking Arcade Fire. I have many friends with outstanding taste in music who cannot get into them. That's fine. It is the the reasons listed that concern me. It is also the language used that concerns me.

With my Tool comment, I am simply wondering how Arcade Fire can be labeled boring and bands who do the same thing over and over again can be considered not boring. My opinion is that bands/artists that do nothing to grow musically over their careers are dull.

It seems like many here narrow their tastes to one distinctive style of music and trash anything that falls outside of that style. That bothers me. I also wish that people were a little more adept at explaining their perspective. I respect people's opinions when they can express them eloquently and intelligently. To say that all opinions should be respected and remain unchallenged is a fallacy of epic proportions. Eloquent and intelligent perspectives do not include referring to a band as pretentious without any further explanation. That does not include referring to music as whiny/emo shit. I would be far more respectful of "I just can't get into the singer's voice." Or again, "I just tend to like rock music that is more rooted in the blues." While those arguments are still lacking somewhat, it is better than what is getting tossed around here. Instead, people viciously attack the band that so many are clearly having a positive emotional reaction to. As I said far earlier in this thread, when I first heard Ten, it changed the way I listened to music. It opened up a new world for me. Right now, Neon Bible is doing the same thing. That's a powerful thing, and it seems to be happening to more than one person. Rather than shitting on those people, it seems far more worthwhile for those it is not happening to to either ignore us or say "Cool for you. Enjoy."

Let me start by saying that I respect your opinion, okay?

For me the quality of the songwriting on Neon Bible is markedly inferior to the songwriting on Funeral. THAT IS JUST MY OPINION. It counts for nothing in the real world. I'm glad that you are finding this album a life-changing experience. That is a wonderful thing, and there is nothing like that feeling.

I admit, as Somebodyelse'ssky has said, that a lot of Tool's songs do have a similar sound. I accept it because they fit together into a cohesive song cycle. THAT IS ALSO JUST MY OPINION. I know a lot of people who don't like Tool.

And I don't think that Arcade Fire has been as viciously attacked as say U2.
    SLH916 wrote:
    Let me start by saying that I respect your opinion, okay?

For me the quality of the songwriting on Neon Bible is markedly inferior to the songwriting on Funeral. THAT IS JUST MY OPINION. It counts for nothing in the real world. I'm glad that you are finding this album a life-changing experience. That is a wonderful thing, and there is nothing like that feeling.

I admit, as Somebodyelse'ssky has said, that a lot of Tool's songs do have a similar sound. I accept it because they fit together into a cohesive song cycle. THAT IS ALSO JUST MY OPINION. I know a lot of people who don't like Tool.

And I don't think that Arcade Fire has been as viciously attacked as say U2.

See, I actually find the songwriting superior to Funeral. (Antichrist Television Blues) and Windowsill are such incredibly crafted songs. As are many others. I love Funeral. It's one of my favorite albums of the last five or six years. I think sticking with the Pearl Jam analogy, Funeral reminds me of Ten because of its anthemic type songs. Neon Bible reminds me of Yield in that it is a more cohesive and consistent album. Yield is my favorite Pearl Jam album, as Neon Bible is my favorite of the two Arcade Fire albums.

And no, Arcade Fire has not been as viciously attacked as U2 has. Should they ever reach U2's heights and then abandon their integrity as U2 has done, than they can expect that kind of attack. But back to Arcade Fire, again, I just find the objections offered up to Arcade Fire in the many threads on them to be lacking and ridiculous.
  • ArtMarsArtMars Posts: 109
    both arcade fire albums are better than ten. most pearl jam albums, except for riot act, are better than ten. and the first arcade album is better than neon bible, though not by much.

any more questions? :)

Absolute bullshit! That's all I've got to say about that!
    boroff89 wrote:
    See, I actually find the songwriting superior to Funeral. (Antichrist Television Blues) and Windowsill are such incredibly crafted songs. As are many others. I love Funeral. It's one of my favorite albums of the last five or six years. I think sticking with the Pearl Jam analogy, Funeral reminds me of Ten because of its anthemic type songs. Neon Bible reminds me of Yield in that it is a more cohesive and consistent album. Yield is my favorite Pearl Jam album, as Neon Bible is my favorite of the two Arcade Fire albums.

And no, Arcade Fire has not been as viciously attacked as U2 has. Should they ever reach U2's heights and then abandon their integrity as U2 has done, than they can expect that kind of attack. But back to Arcade Fire, again, I just find the objections offered up to Arcade Fire in the many threads on them to be lacking and ridiculous.

Fair enough.

Maybe we will meet again some day on some neutral ground, say an MMJ thread.
  • MCGMCG Posts: 780
    I'm not surprised how many people dislike the Arcade Fire, after all everyone's taste is unique. I am however surprised how many people found 2 spare minutes to come into this thread to say they blow.

Neon Bible was good, not amazing like Funeral but I still liked it. Could have done without the 'No Cars Go' resurection however.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
    MCG wrote:
    I'm not surprised how many people dislike the Arcade Fire, after all everyone's taste is unique. I am however surprised how many people found 2 spare minutes to come into this thread to say they blow.

Neon Bible was good, not amazing like Funeral but I still liked it. Could have done without the 'No Cars Go' resurection however.

im not surprised they crashed the thread. im sure they did it for the same reason i cant pass up a chance to take shots at radiohead and chris cornell ;)
    im not surprised they crashed the thread. im sure they did it for the same reason i cant pass up a chance to take shots at radiohead and chris cornell ;)

I was just going to say that those who were offended by the rather tame Arcade Fire bashing should check out the Chris Cornell thread.