Arcade Fire's 'Neon Bible' is as good as 'Ten'

harmless_little_f***harmless_little_f*** Posts: 8,005
edited April 2007 in Other Music
Go on, have at it.
'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    both arcade fire albums are better than ten. most pearl jam albums, except for riot act, are better than ten. and the first arcade album is better than neon bible, though not by much.

any more questions? :)
  • clayton12clayton12 Posts: 335
    its good.
  • but is it as good as Yield?
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • By 'as good as Ten' I mean just as monumental. Neon Bible is as good as any Pearl Jam album, I should say. (Yield was never my favourite - it's got a few clunkers :eek:

I'd agree that most Pearl Jam albums are better than Ten - technically - but Ten is the only one which changed my life. The others were just 'Pearl Jam', my life was changed already, I was already sold. I don't remember the last time I've felt that way listening to a CD, until... well, until Neon Bible.

I've loved bands and albums since Ten, but never in the way I love Arcade Fire. Let's just hope they don't suffer from 21st Century Syndrome and run out of ideas after three albums.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• They were fantastic on SNL a few weeks ago.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • RockinInCanadaRockinInCanada Posts: 2,016
    Arcade Fire is fucking great band...seen them in a small 300 person club in late 2005 in Saskatoon....infuckingcredible......best Canadian band out there....
  • You're comparing Neon Bible to Ten ?

That's an really odd comparison.

Anyways, two completely different albums - both excellent (if I MUST choose i'd go with Ten though).
  • You're comparing Neon Bible to Ten ?

That's an really odd comparison.

Anyways, two completely different albums - both excellent (if I MUST choose i'd go with Ten though).

I know they're not similar musically, I'm just saying they're equally brilliant. (Kinda like Japanese Sushi and Spanish Tapas.)

• journeymanjourneyman Posts: 135
    I want to feed my cochlea to wolves when I hear Win Butler sing.
  • yeah and goldfish taste better than lobster
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • Alex_CoeAlex_Coe Posts: 762
    I hate this band. The singer is especially awful. I can't stand these random claims that X artsy band is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Indie Bands are basically musical masturbation: They're artsy and deep, whatever. But I'm not entertained. Listening to Arcade Fire is just not as fun as rocking out to anything else.
  • Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    Alex_Coe wrote:
    I hate this band. The singer is especially awful. I can't stand these random claims that X artsy band is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Indie Bands are basically musical masturbation: They're artsy and deep, whatever. But I'm not entertained. Listening to Arcade Fire is just not as fun as rocking out to anything else.

[sarcasm]This is so insightful. [/sarcasm]
    Cock Fight.
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    I don't like Arcade Fire. I think they're extremely overrated. I find them pretty boring to listen to. I didn't bother listening to Neon Bible, but I didn't like the first album so I presume I'd like Ten better than their second.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    What a coincidence. I first heard the name of the band 2 days ago. Interesting.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Dick JonesDick Jones Posts: 777
    Arcade Fire is SO over-rated. Neon Bible is a hack of an album. Very boring. Get over it.

Ten bores me too.
    Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
  • I heard all the good talk of this band so i trust my fellow PJ fans and go out and get it to check it out...OHH MY GOD WHAT A PILE OF SHIT..I can't even describe what the fuck it sounds like...maybe the PIXIES MEETS ALVIN AND THE CHIPMUNKS or close.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • Dick JonesDick Jones Posts: 777
    Don't get me wrong, I don't think they are a terrible band, Funeral was pretty solid, but this last album is not nearly as good as people are making it out to be.
    Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I'd agree that most Pearl Jam albums are better than Ten - technically - but Ten is the only one which changed my life. The others were just 'Pearl Jam', my life was changed already, I was already sold. I don't remember the last time I've felt that way listening to a CD, until... well, until Neon Bible.

That's pretty cool. Arcade Fire really aren't my cup of tea, but that's a great feeling. And a rare one at that.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    I hope you are talking about the production value of Ten.... the songs themselves on Ten are 100 times better than Neon Bible imo.. and I really like that album.
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    It really blows me away how stagnant many peoples taste in music is on this board.....all the whining about the Lollapalooza lineup, the comments about the 00's in the Favorite band by decade thread, and now the Arcade Fire bashing.....I really have very little in common with most people on this board (I dont even really like PJ much anymore)

.....I think its time to go hang out on the Decemberists message board with all the other indie music snobs

LONG LIVE GRUNGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    Todd76 wrote:
    It really blows me away how stagnant many peoples taste in music is on this board.....all the whining about the Lollapalooza lineup, the comments about the 00's in the Favorite band by decade thread, and now the Arcade Fire bashing.....I really have very little in common with most people on this board (I dont even really like PJ much anymore)

.....I think its time to go hang out on the Decemberists message board with all the other indie music snobs

Take me with you!!!
    Cock Fight.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Todd76 wrote:

is there a decent decemberists board? maybe i should move too.

though i will agree the new arcade fire album is not the second coming. it's a good album though.
  • londonrockslondonrocks Posts: 177
    DOSW wrote:
    cup of tea
    mmmmmm tea :)

I think arcade fire are quality.
  • BremertonBremerton Posts: 279
    The Arcade Fire are vastly overrated. Rebellion (Lies) is the only song that stands out as being special to me. The rest on both albums seem to be average.
    is there a decent decemberists board? maybe i should move too.

there is in fact a decent Decemberists board (The Decemberists' D-Luxe Message Board).....I registered and have hung out there on occasion - but man, are indie music fans ever pretentious ;)
    Tek Money wrote:
    Take me with you!!!

Thanks TM - I knew I could count on you.....the more the merrier :)
    Tek Money wrote:
    [sarcasm]This is so insightful. [/sarcasm]

Is that it? Sarc tags? I'm not exactly feeling crushed here. Give me a song by Arcade Fire that is actually FUN. You can't. It's impossible to enjoy yourself while listening to Arcade Fire.
  • Alex_Coe wrote:
    Is that it? Sarc tags? I'm not exactly feeling crushed here. Give me a song by Arcade Fire that is actually FUN. You can't. It's impossible to enjoy yourself while listening to Arcade Fire.
    my kid has fun listening to barney the dinosaur maybe i'll try out arcade fire tomorrow morning instead and see what happens.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
    my kid has fun listening to barney the dinosaur maybe i'll try out arcade fire tomorrow morning instead and see what happens.

I have a small brain, so I still can't decide whether you're agreeing or disagreeing with me.
  • Alex_Coe wrote:
    I have a small brain, so I still can't decide whether you're agreeing or disagreeing with me.
    i agree it sucks
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me