***Official Please Play The South Petition***

Comments

• tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Dollpartz wrote:
    goodnite peeps.

(tybird, ehugs from me too, you've been such a trooper, always the one to keep everyone else from losing hope, i'm so sorry you're having a shit day).
    Thanks for the love.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • weenieweenie Posts: 1,623
    bump
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
    non-duplicating bump
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
    YES TYBIrd .... thanks for keeping the hope... not fair for you to have a crappy day.....
    Thank you for your support. :D
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    Non-duplicating bump in greater than 50 seconds
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

Henry David Thoreau
    I am going to be a little lost without this thread. Sad...to see it end this way.
    I'm really sorry that you are all now feeling so let down. I truly am. But I guess what I don't understand is why you continued to let yourselves lend creedence to what JTR has/had to say about anything.... And why, now, are you choosing to believe HIS rationale for why PJ "isn't coming south until next year"?

He dropped in, dumped a load, left us in the lurch, and dropped in again to try to wipe his slate clean. He wasn't trying to do any of us any favors, he was trying to feel good about himself.

Yeah, the state of things through 10C sucks, and that's a crying shame after the way they set the standard for fan clubs for so many years. But let's face it gang, sooner or later the band is going to cease to exist as the entity it is now. Time marches on.

As for me, until 10C or the Band has something positive or negative to say about where they will or won't play, everybody else is just full of shit. People LOVE to act like they KNOW. In this case, the only people who really KNOW are the band and its manager.

So forget all the bullshit and the bullshit people. Believe in who/what this band is for you. And go see them whenever and wherever you can because they aren't going to be around forever. All things must pass.
    peace to you all~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

Henry David Thoreau
  • Well, I haven't posted here in a while. I read every day, several times. I jut have not felt motivated to actually say anything lately. But, now I feel like I gotta get some stuff out. *IF* what JTR is saying is true, I have seriously lost alot of fucking respect for the band. Yeah, spending time with family and all is important, sont get me wrong. But guess what? If you are trying to make a "comeback", you dont do it by visiting half the country, the going to the other side of the world...TWICE...and then saying it isnt finacially sound to tour the other half of the US. That is complete bullshit.

Reguardless of what JTR has said, 10c is seriously f'd right now. We got royally screwed by them this go round. Like many othrs here, I am feeling very shafted, and am starting to look at the band in a different light. Who knows, maybe it is just time to move on.........

The south is not abiding in my house, the south is quite pissed.....
  • FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    weenie wrote:
    I'm really sorry that you are all now feeling so let down. I truly am. But I guess what I don't understand is why you continued to let yourselves lend creedence to what JTR has/had to say about anything.... And why, now, are you choosing to believe HIS rationale for why PJ "isn't coming south until next year"?

He dropped in, dumped a load, left us in the lurch, and dropped in again to try to wipe his slate clean. He wasn't trying to do any of us any favors, he was trying to feel good about himself.

Yeah, the state of things through 10C sucks, and that's a crying shame after the way they set the standard for fan clubs for so many years. But let's face it gang, sooner or later the band is going to cease to exist as the entity it is now. Time marches on.

As for me, until 10C or the Band has something positive or negative to say about where they will or won't play, everybody else is just full of shit. People LOVE to act like they KNOW. In this case, the only people who really KNOW are the band and its manager.

So forget all the bullshit and the bullshit people. Believe in who/what this band is for you. And go see them whenever and wherever you can because they aren't going to be around forever. All things must pass.
    peace to you all~

"So this is what its like.... to be an adult"
  • jam_fanjjam_fanj Posts: 46
    return from the dead,....... BUMP.........
    It would be interesting to know if this slight is more the fault of J Records or the band itself????? Maybe skipping the South was something "Big, Bold and Free"?
  • NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    JTR wrote:
    The way the band has stayed together in the last seven years after Denmark is to really start seeing Pearl Jam as a business. Not completely, but enough that they don't drive eachother crazy. Unquestionably, the music is their #1 motivation by far, but the approach to the mechanics of making and touring music has become very "job" oriented. This avoids the big mood swings and drugs habits, etc that often surround Rock N' Roll.

Nowhere was this more obvious than when I was on the 4th row at MSG 2 in 2003 and Ed said something like "sorry if we feel like we've got a bit of a job to do" when he forgot to say hello to the crowd, and then proceeded to say "how the fuck are ya'?". When asking the band members how they have not grown tired of one another, all answer the same way because in band meetings they have come up with a common way of approaching the issue. They don't spend time together very much - on purpose. And they see their roles now as their "job".

I say all of this because tours that touch the South in the past few years have LOST MONEY. So they don't see a good reason to go out and spend time away from recording or family to LOSE MONEY.

However, I did ask clearly this morning if the South will be a part of next year's tour and he said "absolutely, we had planned this fall to do it, but too much fell out".

Love this band.

Dissapointing to hear this, but not for the same reasons that everyone else seems to be focusing on. It sounds like this isn't fun for Pearl Jam anymore. This comes as a shock to me, because I had the impression that they were still having a blast and loving it. Are all the quotes about them wanting to still be together making music years from now false? Whatever approach they need to keept themselves sane and sober is what matters. Its dissapointing as a fan, but the alternative of no PJ at all is definately a much worse scenario.
    We will just have to hope for new music and a tour stop in 2008. I guess its starting to get to the point in their careers where we as fans just need to treasure whatever they are able to give us because you never know when the ride is going to end.

THE SOUTH ABIDES
    Brian
  • Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    NCBRI wrote:
    Dissapointing to hear this, but not for the same reasons that everyone else seems to be focusing on. It sounds like this isn't fun for Pearl Jam anymore. This comes as a shock to me, because I had the impression that they were still having a blast and loving it. Are all the quotes about them wanting to still be together making music years from now false? Whatever approach they need to keept themselves sane and sober is what matters. Its dissapointing as a fan, but the alternative of no PJ at all is definately a much worse scenario.
    We will just have to hope for new music and a tour stop in 2008. I guess its starting to get to the point in their careers where we as fans just need to treasure whatever they are able to give us because you never know when the ride is going to end.

THE SOUTH ABIDES

I think you are missing the point here.
    I dont see anywhere where you can assume that they dont enjoy what they do anymore.
    You can tell how much they enjoy making music together by listening to the last album and you can tell how much they enjoy playing live when you see them on the stage for 2 1/2 hours each time.

But its understandable at least I think.
    They are men with families, Ed has a little girl, Stone and Mike about to or already have brand new babies, and Matt has a wife and kids too.... I dont know if you have any kids but imagine how hard it would be to be traveling and sometimes be away from your kids or have them with you but have no time to spend with them...

I drove around from show to show to show on 1996 and when I finally got back to Florida I was exhausted (and I wasnt performing every night)...
    After the extensive tour they had last year they must be really tired ...
    Last year I went to 4 shows and I would have loved to see them here in FL but I guess next tour will be our time :)

I dont know why everyone gets so offended thinking PJ sees PJ as a business, it is a business, people thinking of their business as such doesnt mean they are not passionate about it (this goes for any profession), this is their job and what a damn great job they have!!

Urs,
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    SPALMA wrote:
    all they owe us is communication

I would be happy and satisfied at that. Just a real quick, "Hey guys, we're going to hit some southern spots later or our shows down there are selling well right now, so we're going to focus on different markets."

Breakup with me in person...not over the phone. ;)

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • lukin321lukin321 Charlotte, NC Posts: 864
    I would be happy and satisfied at that. Just a real quick, "Hey guys, we're going to hit some southern spots later or our shows down there are selling well right now, so we're going to focus on different markets."

Breakup up with me in person...not over the phone. ;)

PBM

I think that's all it would take for most of us to be ok with the whole situation. The silence on everything lately is just plain wrong. Well this is a disappointing thing to read this morning :(
    9/1/98, 8/9/00, 8/12/00, 4/11/03, 4/12/03, 4/13/03, 4/19/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04, 10/3/04, 10/8/04, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 10/30/2013, 4/8/2016, 4/9/2016, 4/11/2016, 4/13/2016
    I dont know why everyone gets so offended thinking PJ sees PJ as a business, it is a business, people thinking of their business as such doesnt mean they are not passionate about it (this goes for any profession), this is their job and what a damn great job they have!!

The difference, to me at least, is that the business end wasn't as important 10 years ago..now it seems to be a higher priority.

They have families now and other responsiblities...that's fine. I understand.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

• SPALMASPALMA Posts: 2,279
    weenie wrote:

peace to you all~

The problem is that the band has not said ANYTHING, ever, and it is looking like they are not going to say anything... and this is contradictory to how they have acted/treated fans in the past. It is confusing. and you are right, regardless of who is giving us information...good or bad... we ultimately have to make our own choices on how we feel

I see it as putting all the "clues" together and hypothesizing...the info provided by both Stoneg & JTR concurred in the end, so in lieu of any "hard Facts" I go with them (we're fucked for another year and will probably never hear from the band officially about it)

... so maybe I'll have to go see daughtrey at disney.... :D:D

the South abides (for another year)
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    "I don't want to hear any splatty tongues!"
    J.M., Jr. High Band Teacher

I raise my Freak Flag High!!
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    weenie wrote:

peace to you all~

Have to agree with her, we still have not heard SHIT from anyone in any official capacity, so with all due respect to JTR, if he does or does not have any "inside" news, we are all just back at square one, waiting for someone with some authority to tell us what the fuck is going on, and after a year of begging, pleading, planting, etc; its sad that they can't just give us something, anything. what exactly IS the deal?

Urs,

I applaud their approach to their livelihood and personal lives, the balance that allows them to continue... it is just that in business (ANY industry) communication is key. I don't think any one of us is asking for anything more.

the South abides (for another year)
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~

SPALMA wrote:
    and this is contradictory to how they have acted/treated fans in the past. It is confusing.

More than anything else, these are my feelings. I don't mind that they're not playing my neck of the woods, but just communicate better.

PBM

Tybird, come back (please)

the South abides
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~

• yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    well I'm very bummed out that there will be no shows in the South this year and I am even more bummed out that we haven't heard anything about it from the band or 10 club directly...I don't understand this no communication approach to things over the last few years...maybe something will be said about it in the next issue of DEEP?
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
    SPALMA wrote:
    Tybird, come back (please)

the South abides
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    I have an early class on Tuesday/Thursday morning.....dearie...just got home.
    Breakup with me in person...not over the phone. ;)

PBM
    Excellent turn of a phrase, but then again, I expect that from you. :D
  • PBM, good to see you on here! Did you take a small hiatus from the board or am I just blind?

PLAY THE SOUTH...and Indy!!!
    6/22/03 – Noblesville, IN
    10/3/04 – Grand Rapids, MI
    9/11/05 – Kitchener, ON Canada
    9/12/05 – London, ON Canada
    5/22/06 – Auburn Hills, MI
    6/24/06 – Cincinnati, OH
    8/23/09 – Chicago, IL
    5/7/10 – Noblesville, IN
    7/19/13 – Wrigley Field
    10/1/14 – Cincinnati, OH
    10/20/14 – Milwaukee, WI
    4/26/16 – Lexington, KY
    8/20/16 – Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 – Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 - Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 - Wrigley Field
    9/6/22 - Hamilton, ON Canada
    9/17/22 - Bourbon & Beyond, Louisville, KY
    9/18/22 - St. Louis. MO
    9/5/23 - Chicago, IL
    9/7/23 - Chicago, IL
    PBM, good to see you on here! Did you take a small hiatus from the board or am I just blind?

PLAY THE SOUTH...and Indy!!!

PissBottleBaby takes up a majority of my time these days. :)

PBM

Well Dave Matthews Band just announced 4 dates for Florida in September that i'll be going to and i'm going to see Tool 3 times here too...so I guess all in all it won't be a bad summer for shows!
    9/1/98, 8/9/00, 8/12/00, 4/11/03, 4/12/03, 4/13/03, 4/19/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04, 10/3/04, 10/8/04, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 10/30/2013, 4/8/2016, 4/9/2016, 4/11/2016, 4/13/2016
    The truth would be nice every now and then.......but getting the truth would actually require some "official" communication.....to do that somebody "official" would have to say/write something....in other words, I expect the truth to remain hidden from us.
  • edvedr13edvedr13 Posts: 241
    You boys/girls in the South deserve it
    Joe
    "It's Evolution Baby"
    Montreal '00; Toronto '03; Montreal '03; Kitchener '05; London '05; Hamilton '05; Toronto '05; Toronto '06 x2; Boston '06; Toronto '08 x2 (Eddie)
    edvedr13 wrote:
    You boys/girls in the South deserve it

Thanks! Now we just need a damn show already...