***Official Please Play The South Petition***

Comments

• tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    stoneg wrote:
    Oh well.Just my luck. No shows! Do you think J Records has anything to do with them not touring the South? I think it was pretty shitty. All we needed was like 3 shows and I think we would have been happy with that. Would still like to know who your source is JTR But I understand.Do me a favor tell them to at least send me my god damm single!
    It hasn't been a well-oiled machine since making the jump to J Records, has it.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • JTRJTR Posts: 347
    The way the band has stayed together in the last seven years after Denmark is to really start seeing Pearl Jam as a business. Not completely, but enough that they don't drive eachother crazy. Unquestionably, the music is their #1 motivation by far, but the approach to the mechanics of making and touring music has become very "job" oriented. This avoids the big mood swings and drugs habits, etc that often surround Rock N' Roll.

Nowhere was this more obvious than when I was on the 4th row at MSG 2 in 2003 and Ed said something like "sorry if we feel like we've got a bit of a job to do" when he forgot to say hello to the crowd, and then proceeded to say "how the fuck are ya'?". When asking the band members how they have not grown tired of one another, all answer the same way because in band meetings they have come up with a common way of approaching the issue. They don't spend time together very much - on purpose. And they see their roles now as their "job".

I say all of this because tours that touch the South in the past few years have LOST MONEY. So they don't see a good reason to go out and spend time away from recording or family to LOSE MONEY.

However, I did ask clearly this morning if the South will be a part of next year's tour and he said "absolutely, we had planned this fall to do it, but too much fell out".

Love this band.
  • stonegstoneg Posts: 1,940
    tybird wrote:
    It hasn't been a well-oiled machine since making the jump to J Records, has it.
    I wonder what kind of contract they signed with J records.I wonder how many records?
    Ft. Lauderdale 96'
    Tampa 00'
    West Palm Beach 03'
    House of Blues 03'
    Tampa 03'
    Kissimmee 04'
    West Palm Beach 08'
    Tampa 08'
    Eddie Vedder Clearwater both nights 2012
  • stonegstoneg Posts: 1,940
    So they will be in the south in 2008? Great! It will then be 4 years since I will see them.I did not get tickets for any northern shows in 2006 because I thought that they would be in the south for sure.I will not make that mistake again.If I don't see any southern shows on the list.I am buying the first show I see on sale.
    Ft. Lauderdale 96'
    Tampa 00'
    West Palm Beach 03'
    House of Blues 03'
    Tampa 03'
    Kissimmee 04'
    West Palm Beach 08'
    Tampa 08'
    Eddie Vedder Clearwater both nights 2012
  • KertokovichKertokovich Posts: 193
    tybird wrote:
    Maybe I'm just having a bad day in general, but right now my faith in this band has taken another serious hit. Maybe they are too busy in their personal lives to mind the 10c store, and gave it in trust to someone else. That someone else is doing a poor job at connecting with a significant portion of the fan base. Whether that's the band's fault or someone else's fault, it is still a bad situation. To flat ignore out people in this manner is just bad business.

I understand your feeling, but try not to lose faith. There is no way they can please everyone. They do a lot for their fans, just make yourself stay positive buddy. Ok Jericho is on gotta go. Just remember many states have had to wait 5 years before they were included ina tour. I understand just as much as the rest of yall that skipping the south was unprecedented but it is over with it. Lets hope we get them back in 08 and I am still not believing that they will without a doubt not play down here this year. I would not be suprised if they don't given their families and need for a somewhat normal life from time to time, but you never know. People do change their minds and if not lets hope for an early spring start to the 2008 Tour....maybe with a new album:)

Keep the faith

~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    Can't You Feel This World, With Your Heart and Not Your Brain
    Nov. 1993 OKC
    Sept. 1995 Austin
    July 1998 Kansas City
    Oct. 2000 Dallas
    June 2003 Dallas
  • SPALMASPALMA Posts: 2,279
    JTR wrote:
    The way the band has stayed together in the last seven years after Denmark is to really start seeing Pearl Jam as a business. Not completely, but enough that they don't drive eachother crazy. Unquestionably, the music is their #1 motivation by far, but the approach to the mechanics of making and touring music has become very "job" oriented. This avoids the big mood swings and drugs habits, etc that often surround Rock N' Roll.

Nowhere was this more obvious than when I was on the 4th row at MSG 2 in 2003 and Ed said something like "sorry if we feel like we've got a bit of a job to do" when he forgot to say hello to the crowd, and then proceeded to say "how the fuck are ya'?". When asking the band members how they have not grown tired of one another, all answer the same way because in band meetings they have come up with a common way of approaching the issue. They don't spend time together very much - on purpose. And they see their roles now as their "job".

I say all of this because tours that touch the South in the past few years have LOST MONEY. So they don't see a good reason to go out and spend time away from recording or family to LOSE MONEY.

However, I did ask clearly this morning if the South will be a part of next year's tour and he said "absolutely, we had planned this fall to do it, but too much fell out".

Love this band.

I've read that Green Day also follows this business model as well : taking their jobs as jobs, not lifestyles...

I can't believe that all of the shows in the South have lost money...
    and certainly understand decisions have to be made to avoid losing money, losing personal time and losing focus as a band... but if tehy can hop around Eastern Europe, they can certainly hop around Southern USA.

For the past year, the only "official" word we have had were sound bites from band members stating that the South does not sell tickets... AS IF IT IS OUR FAULT. Bad, fucking, bad PR, that was. Just give us a word.

I am excited about a new album, about them having time to refresh and relax with loved ones. Would dearly love to see a new DVD, hear some new music and just one fucking word about the South.Oh and perhaps a picture of a baby or two.

So here we sit for another year...

the South abides,
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~

let's all try to get together, would be a great event to hold us over for another year.
    "I don't want to hear any splatty tongues!"
    J.M., Jr. High Band Teacher

I raise my Freak Flag High!!
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    JTR wrote:

Love this band.

Then cut the number of shows. Instead of 4 in Texas, play two. Instead of 5 in Florida play three. You trying to tell me that adding 10 shows to all those other US dates would have caused them to break the bank? I don't think so.

Amazing that other bands can do this and still eat.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • JTRJTR Posts: 347
    Flagg,

The problem is that you really can't have more than 500 miles between shows to functionally move and set up all the equipment.

So, to have a show in Raleigh, then WPB, then Atlanta, then Austin are much too far of a haul overnight. It doesn't work unless you can canvass an area.
  • wahinewahine Posts: 86
    I am sorry to hear that we will have to wait until 2008, but I do not begrudge the band their personal time. I'm sure that they are planning on 08 to be a very busy year(elections!). I will keep listening to my boots, and watching the boards for more info. JTR, thanks for keeping us in the loop, and by the way, I do love this band.

I patiently wait for your visit south PJ. We will keep the light on for you!

Play the south!
    Play the south!
    Play the south!

Keep hope alive ya'll!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine. I Am Mine
    Til the Lightning Bolt sets you free

Wahine - I'm a Lightning Bolt

9/2/98, 7/1/03, 10/3/05, 5/30/06, 6/17/08, ED-8/16/08, 10/30/09, 5/13/10, 10/29/13, 10/14/14

-RIP Hippiemom -
    JTR wrote:

Love this band.
    I have loved this band, but that is seriously being called into question. This business model does have many assets, but the lack of communication or connection is appalling. We can afford Europe twice, but can't make it to Atlanta, Texas or Florida because the spread sheet does not look promising? There's no way Hawaii made money, please.....

The argument about the fan base not being strong in the South may have some merit, but guess what... it will never grow or even exist again at this rate.

It is good to know that family is important to them.....I understand about losing money, but if they don't see a good reason to tour here...I don't see a good reason to spend my money on them and their products. If they want to act like carpetbaggers, then I will view them as carpetbaggers.

Maybe one day they will play someplace nice like Halifax, and we can go see them again....but I am not spending my time and my money to see a band that only plays fucking "Rust Belt" cities because it pays their bills.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    JTR:
    About them "Bat Wings"?
  • holleroxxholleroxx Posts: 473
    despite the news I'll give this ol' thread a little bump. Play the south! eventually
    And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky,a human being that was given 2 fly - Bryan you are loved R.I.P
    Might be working on my first ban........called someone a "cultural imperialist" in another thread and talkin' bad about the band and their organization in this one. I have had a bad day.
  • RodrigoDuRodrigoDu Posts: 140
    tybird wrote:
    I have loved this band, but that is seriously being called into question. This business model does have many assets, but the lack of communication or connection is appalling. We can afford Europe twice, but can't make it to Atlanta, Texas or Florida because the spread sheet does not look promising? There's no way Hawaii made money, please.....

The argument about the fan base not being strong in the South may have some merit, but guess what... it will never grow or even exist again at this rate.

It is good to know that family is important to them.....I understand about losing money, but if they don't see a good reason to tour here...I don't see a good reason to spend my money on them and their products. If they want to act like carpetbaggers, then I will view them as carpetbaggers.

Maybe one day they will play someplace nice like Halifax, and we can go see them again....but I am not spending my time and my money to see a band that only plays fucking "Rust Belt" cities because it pays their bills.

If Tybrid has lost faith,
    what is this world coming to?

JTR's explanation of Pearl Jam's decision-making tells me that Pearl Jam does not care about music anymore.... OR their fans. There is no more passion behind their music, no more love... it's all a money-making machine. and the 10C is part of it. I pay $20 a year to get the best tickets I can, but I can't even go to a concert.

I used to pride myself in calling myself a true PJ fan becasue PJ was all about the music and not the money, but apparently things have changed...

what a shame...
    "The ocean's made me, but who came up with love?"

D.C. '00
    West Palm Beach '03
    Tampa '03
    Philadelphia '03
    Albany '03
    Mexico City 1,2,3 '03
    Pittsburgh '06
    Cincinnati '06
    NYC 2 '10
    Costa Rica '11
    Mexico City '15
    Dana Point '21
    Chicago 2 '24
    RodrigoDu wrote:
    If Tybrid has lost faith,
    what is this world coming to?

JTR's explanation of Pearl Jam's decision-making tells me that Pearl Jam does not care about music anymore.... OR their fans. There is no more passion behind their music, no more love... it's all a money-making machine. and the 10C is part of it. I pay $20 a year to get the best tickets I can, but I can't even go to a concert.

I used to pride myself in calling myself a true PJ fan becasue PJ was all about the music and not the money, but apparently things have changed...

what a shame...
    Yes, it's looking bad for me........I still have not opened (still in the mailer from the 10C and sitting in a closet floor) that last photo book that they put for sale back in the summer/fall. I am seriously thinking of taking offers for it unopened. It was to be opened when my faith was fully restored in the band, but alas, it may not happen anytime soon.

Did I mention that it's been a bad day?
  • FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    well jtr...

i must say, its kind of hard to not take your words very strongly... since obviously.... you seem to have connections with the band....

if thats how the band feels, well... thats great.... but... i must say it makes me feel like the past years have been a bit fake...

Not saying that i hate pearl jam, or whatever....
    it was all worth it, believe me..... even if it was ive met great people, done great things..

wow, i dunno.... god this has been a bad two weeks :(
    tybird wrote:
    Yes, it's looking bad for me........I still have not opened (still in the mailer from the 10C and sitting in a closet floor) that last photo book that they put for sale back in the summer/fall. I am seriously thinking of taking offers for it unopened. It was to be opened when my faith was fully restored in the band, but alas, it may not happen anytime soon.

Did I mention that it's been a bad day?

hug me?

:(
    hug me?

:(
    e-hug
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    JTR wrote:
    Flagg,

The problem is that you really can't have more than 500 miles between shows to functionally move and set up all the equipment.

So, to have a show in Raleigh, then WPB, then Atlanta, then Austin are much too far of a haul overnight. It doesn't work unless you can canvass an area.

Then explain Australia . . . and Hawaii. No way Hawaii made economic sense by that argument.

They hauled their shit halfway across the world to play just a few shows that spanned an entire continent (Australia). But they can't haul it 1000 miles to play a few shows across 1/3 of a continent.

After Leg 1 of the US tour they could have hit 8 or 10 shows in the south and all would have been happy and none of this frustration would have happened.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
    Flagg wrote:
    Then explain Australia . . . and Hawaii. No way Hawaii made economic sense by that argument.

They hauled their shit halfway across the world to play just a few shows that spanned an entire continent (Australia). But they can't haul it 1000 miles to play a few shows across 1/3 of a continent.

After Leg 1 of the US tour they could have hit 8 or 10 shows in the south and all would have been happy and none of this frustration would have happened.

yeah its not clicking with me either here.... im trying to make some kind of sense of it but...
    Flagg wrote:
    Three, hell, maybe even two would kept us quiet and happy. I am not buying the simple economic answer for the brush off.
    yep. ok well

sorry pearl jam, now you have a whole lot of southerners that are about to give you a yeeeeehaw and like 5xa thousand across the lips ..stay far away, stay very far away :D

actually, could i ask you something personal for a minute? anybody who can help i mean...

ive been making friends with a few local homeless people

they are being so mistreated here in savannah, by everyone, they've never hurt anyone...WHAT CAN I DO TO CHANGE THIS?

ive thought about petitions, maybe writing a letter to the local newspapers?

anybody know anything about the laws surrounding "homeless" rights?
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    goodnite peeps.

(tybird, ehugs from me too, you've been such a trooper, always the one to keep everyone else from losing hope, i'm so sorry you're having a shit day).
    Dollpartz wrote:
    goodnite peeps.

(tybird, ehugs from me too, you've been such a trooper, always the one to keep everyone else from losing hope, i'm so sorry you're having a shit day).

YES TYBIrd .... thanks for keeping the hope... not fair for you to have a crappy day.....
  • TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
    JTR wrote:

Love this band.

give me a break, they aren't loosing money playing the south, believe me, its not like they have to pay girls to strip on their stage, major pyro, or a sick light show, I've seen bands like The 20th century Doors, and Guns N Roses play to 3,000 people in a 15,000 seat arena, and yes Axle fuckin Rose did show up even though he wasn't gonna make hardly any money that night, no offense dude, I don't know you personally, so I just can't buy into anything you say, I will go wherever PJ goes, thats for sure, if they do another tour of the northeast/west I will go, but I just can't see them ditching the south yet again.....just can't see it happening.
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
  • pathorsespathorses Posts: 319
    TheGossman wrote:
    no offense dude, I don't know you personally, so I just can't buy into anything you say,

Thank you for saying that! This sucks so much but I will never believe it just because JTR said it.......dude, JTR promised to release dates by the end of February, the end of March, etc. And now says "remember where you heard it????" WTF, man? Remember where we heard lies? Sorry, I'm upset that they're not coming and I totally know where Ty is coming from but I'm personally tired of everybody thanking JTR for bogus promises and somebody needs to say it. If you're so close to the band you wouldn't be telling their secrets now would you? Don't get me wrong I'm really pissed at the band but I'm just tired of everybody hanging on your every (untrue) word. Maybe you got it right this time.....
    Atlanta 3/94
    Charleston 10/96
    Greenville 4/98
    Charlotte 8/00
    Charlotte 4/03
    Gorge I & II 7/06
    Columbia 6/08
    Jazz Festival 5/10
    Noblesville 5/10
    JTR wrote:
    Chicago just prior to Lolla and New York City in October. Remember who you heard it from.
    will do
    Atlanta 3/94
    Charleston 10/96
    Greenville 4/98
    Charlotte 8/00
    Charlotte 4/03
    Gorge I & II 7/06
    Columbia 6/08
    Jazz Festival 5/10
    Noblesville 5/10
    tremorvoid wrote:
    you guys are all on crack. JTR...i jumped into this thread last week and read thru just about everything since your arrival in it (because a friend told me that you seemed legit)....and honestly...if i were here since the very beginning of FEBRUARY believing that "SOON SOON Ill be able to share info"....i wouldve killed someone by now. seriously. that was almost 2 months ago. yeah i know i dont have to read this thread or believe in any of it...but if you are gonna hype some classified info and then on an almost daily basis string people along with the hope that tomorrow will be the day...then fuckin deliver it. yeah i hope one of these days you...or more likely the 10club....will give us the info on a mini tour and tickets will of course go on sale the very next day...probably only announcing 1 concert at a time too just to fuck with us....but fuck....ya know? and now stoneg is saying the complete opposite as you.

i believe kurt cobain said it best when he said "you cant believe everything that you read". and on this board....you really cant believe ANYTHING you read....because doing so will only lead to false hope...and countless wasted hours sitting here waiting for that little memo that you have to be here tomorrow at 9am sharp if you want a chance to get tickets for an imaginary tour.

i guess all im saying is that pj needs to stop all this bullshit! its about time to announce at least if they are WORKING ON THE PLANS FOR A TOUR...and also confirm lolla too...now im not gonna waste money and buy tickets to lolla until i hear confirmation that pj is headlining. quit fuckin with us. its been getting old since the last tour. seriously.

and play the fuckin south!!

from 3/20/07
    Atlanta 3/94
    Charleston 10/96
    Greenville 4/98
    Charlotte 8/00
    Charlotte 4/03
    Gorge I & II 7/06
    Columbia 6/08
    Jazz Festival 5/10
    Noblesville 5/10
  • Been off here for a bit because of moving/new career/new job. I was curious as to what was going on with the "Play the South" Petition.

First, I'm amazed to see it's still up near the top of the list of topics. I'm even more amazed that there still has been no REAL word about what's going on. All that there appears to be here is excuses, rationalizations, blind faith, anger, confusion, and sadness. Great vibes...

Oh, and what I'm most amazed about is the fact that I'm considering a future where Pearl Jam is just another band.

Tryin' to keep the faith but finding it real hard right about now.
    "Get Your Hands Off Of My Woman, M.F.!" - The Darkness
  • SPALMASPALMA Posts: 2,279
    I'm sorry Tybird (please don't call anyone names :))... but however sour it may seem now, I think they are trying to make it work. JTR has indicated that they do plan to come South again... so they are working on the economics.

I think that with a new label, new album, new public perception of a "revived" Pearl Jam ...(I KNOW that we all do not agree that they have been revived but what actual market do we represent? They HAVE to court the larger mainstream market to... make money) they opted to hit their strongest markets first. - the North and (apparently) Europe (more compact? < 500 miles?).

I'm thinking that The South was just too soft a market to plunge into, until they had tested the stronger markets. I am sure a few shows were gimme's (Hawaii, Croatia, perhaps some of Italy)...

I know when we quote packages of parts on long term contracts (group of parts for one customer) we are agressive with the profitable parts and tentative with the losers. We balance the makers with the losers to create an overall money making package of parts... and still satisfy the customer... and thus, retain their busness. But in harder times, we have had to tell our valued customers to go pound salt... and pick and choose the parts WE want. I can see that Pearl Jam managment is weeding us out... but I hope they keep in mind that they cannot completely cut us out - as they could very well lose everything. G R E E D ... hmmmmm - can be dangerous.

anyway, my little bit of aerospace logic - what do I know about the music industry anyway?

LMandi... big ole mushy hug.

the South abides (for another year)
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    "I don't want to hear any splatty tongues!"
    J.M., Jr. High Band Teacher

I raise my Freak Flag High!!