***Official Please Play The South Petition***

Comments

• JTRJTR Posts: 347
    Dollypartz,

Today is the first time I have had a chance to talk with him personally in a while.

They need a break. To push ahead with a tour now is a "mistake that most extinct bands have made".
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    JTR wrote:
    Dollypartz,

Today is the first time I have had a chance to talk with him personally in a while.

They need a break. To push ahead with a tour now is a "mistake that most extinct bands have made".

and i totally understand that, respect it and appreciate the honesty. i wish them well, hope they get nice and rested, and then come back and blow us away with something just fucking amazing when they are ready.
  • SPALMASPALMA Posts: 2,279
    I pretty much figured we were in this for the long haul (and wouldn't see them until 2008) but what upsets me is the lingering thoughts that they "avoided" the South for a specific reason. And that we will see fewer performances down here in the future...

And what ever happened to those bat wings?

until.. whenever....

the South abides,

~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    "I don't want to hear any splatty tongues!"
    J.M., Jr. High Band Teacher

I raise my Freak Flag High!!
  • mdigenakismdigenakis Posts: 1,337
    are they even going to play the U.S. this year or is it a Euro tour only?
    "Don't let the darkness eat you up..."

-Greg Dulli

• tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    SPALMA wrote:
    I pretty much figured we were in this for the long haul (and wouldn't see them until 2008) but what upsets me is the lingering thoughts that they "avoided" the South for a specific reason. And that we will see fewer performances down here in the future...

And what ever happened to those bat wings?

until.. whenever....

the South abides,

~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    Yes, JTR....any answers to why they avoided us this time?

Bat Wings?

time to cue up a great little song by Drive-by Truckers called" Hell No, I aint Happy."
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    Actually all of the anguish and some of the lyrics of "Black" came to my mind...

the South abides,

~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~

• PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    tybird wrote:
    time to cue up a great little song by Drive-by Truckers called" Hell No, I aint Happy."

I've had that one on for a while. ;)

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
    SPALMA wrote:
    Actually all of the anguish and some of the lyrics of "Black" came to my mind...

the South abides,

~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    It would be nice if they answered the simple question regarding why they by-passed this time.....but I suspect that they will act just like the Bush White House and seal their lips as tight as drums.

If it political thing, then they need to take a class on the political history of the South and a review of the current state and local governments. I also suspect that someone needs to tell them that George Wallace and "Bull" Connor were both Democrats, just like the majority of the Alabama state legislature that just gave themselves a 62% pay raise over the veto of the Republican governor.

I do not begrudge them their rest, but one would think ANOTHER European leg would also be a little tiring.

Hell No, I aint Happy
    Hell No, I aint Happy
    Hell No, I aint Happy
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    I've had that one on for a while. ;)

PBM
    No Southern leg for Pearl Jam and very limited DBT dates.......what a terrible year for live tunes.
    tybird wrote:
    It would be nice if they answered the simple question regarding why they by-passed this time.....but I suspect that they will act just like the Bush White House and seal their lips as tight as drums.

If it political thing, then they need to take a class on the political history of the South and a review of the current state and local governments. I also suspect that someone needs to tell them that George Wallace and "Bull" Connor were both Democrats, just like the majority of the Alabama state legislature that just gave themselves a 62% pay raise over the veto of the Republican governor.

I do not begrudge them their rest, but one would think ANOTHER European leg would also be a little tiring.

Hell No, I aint Happy
    Hell No, I aint Happy
    Hell No, I aint Happy

You are right... if they made a political decision it was uninformed and biased.

I really believe that it was a money thing and we just did not make the cut. We will see for sure, the next time they tour - if they skip us, then we will know they have sold out.

The killer is the non-communication... unforgiveable whether you are liberal/conservative, tall/short, old/young... it is wrong. Or do they call that "marketing".

the South abides,

~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~

• PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    SPALMA wrote:
    The killer is the non-communication. Or do they call that "marketing".

That's what happened last year. I went to Chicago for the first leg because there weren't any dates closer. I didn't want to travel up there, but I didn't know if more dates would be announced or if they would be closer.

I don't agree with the way they announce their tour, but my opinion is irrelevant.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    SPALMA wrote:
    You are right... if they made a political decision it was uninformed and biased.

I really believe that it was a money thing and we just did not make the cut. We will see for sure, the next time they tour - if they skip us, then we will know they have sold out.

The killer is the non-communication... unforgiveable whether you are liberal/conservative, tall/short, old/young... it is wrong. Or do they call that "marketing".

the South abides,

~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~

and i say it again, all we want is the truth, we can handle the truth, just give us some truth, some fucking truth!
    SPALMA wrote:

the South abides,

~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    We could handle the truth......but I don't expect to seeing it anytime soon. Maybe it will arrive with "Big, Bold and Free."
    That's what happened last year. I went to Chicago for the first leg because there weren't any dates closer. I didn't want to travel up there, but I didn't know if more dates would be announced or if they would be closer.

I don't agree with the way they announce their tour, but my opinion is irrelevant.

PBM

your opinion is not irrelevant... you are the customer, you helped make them as successful as they are.

Their business plan was flawed this past year... they don't have to play anywhere that they don't want to... all they owe us is communication. It seems that they were un-organized and forgot a whole segment of their fan base (and their money, by the way). That is just bad customer service.

And Pearl Jam being who they are... it is easy to take it personally... I suppose I do to some extent.

the South abides,

-Play the South-

Were we wrong to believe that this band looked beyond the dollar sign?

The truth will set you free.
  • KertokovichKertokovich Posts: 193
    tybird wrote:
    Cool.........you get many Horny Toads (Horned Lizards officially)

~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~

Tybird - I actually have seen one recently, but it was the first I had seen in several years. Back when I lived in the great state of Oklahoma I would see a bunch when I would go out fishing, but that was actually in my younger years in Oklahoma in the 80s. I dont know if they migrate or their population was getting wiped out but for whatever reason I had not seen one in either Oklahoma or Texas for about 20 years....until the one a few months ago. The turtles have just started coming out. My dog brought one in to the yard yesterday. He protected his ass like he should until I was able to get him from my dog and back to a safer place. I love this time of theyear,e xcept for the snakes coming out. I live out in the country and go fishing at some ponds on my father in laws land and I get a bit freaked by the snakes. I digress..............~Play the South~
    ~play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    Can't You Feel This World, With Your Heart and Not Your Brain
    Nov. 1993 OKC
    Sept. 1995 Austin
    July 1998 Kansas City
    Oct. 2000 Dallas
    June 2003 Dallas
    Tybird - I actually have seen one recently, but it was the first I had seen in several years. Back when I lived in the great state of Oklahoma I would see a bunch when I would go out fishing, but that was actually in my younger years in Oklahoma in the 80s. I dont know if they migrate or their population was getting wiped out but for whatever reason I had not seen one in either Oklahoma or Texas for about 20 years....until the one a few months ago. The turtles have just started coming out. My dog brought one in to the yard yesterday. He protected his ass like he should until I was able to get him from my dog and back to a safer place. I love this time of theyear,e xcept for the snakes coming out. I live out in the country and go fishing at some ponds on my father in laws land and I get a bit freaked by the snakes. I digress..............~Play the South~
    ~play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    Oklahoma has one of the coolest state birds around.........the Scissor-tailed Flycatcher. One or two occasionally make it this far east. Great bird.
  • NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    TheGossman wrote:
    people check this out! I'm not sure if I posted this yet...(by the way this has nothing to do with PJ playing the south, although I did ask Steve if he was a fan and he said, "whats a pearl jam"?

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=15818037&albumID=0&imageID=7083228

Steve Smith is the man! BTW, did he ask you why you were wearing a Pepper's jersey and not his?
    Brian
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    This past couple of years has been a little disappointing as far as the way 10c handles things. There was the fiasco with the '05 Philly show ticketing followed by endless bitching followed by the Love Letter that included Big Bold Free thing that never happened and was never mentioned again. Then there was the bullshit way the 2006 dates were announced.

And no, I don't think they need to go so far as to tell us where they are not playing, but the least they could do is release all dates at once so we know what to do. If they don't want to play the south, then fine. They could have release ALL US dates at once so everyone could have gone to the show of their choice.

There was only one reason the dates were announced the way they were, and that was to maximize ticket sales by hooking in people that weren't willing to wait to see if they would come to their area. It was a bullshit way to treat your fans from an organization that claims to put the fans first.

Putting the fans first doesn't quite rank as high with the 10c as it once did.

Also, I am not begrudging the band's decision to take a break by any means. I love this band. They deserve a break. And if it means they will stay together longer and put out more albums and tours, then all the better for us.

But the 10c needs to re-evaluate the way they run things. They may be the best fan club in the business but in my opinion they slipped a little last year.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
    JTR wrote:
    I just had a really awful conversation with a band member who informed me that unless lightning strikes (in my child's eye), the only shows beyond Europe will be Lollapalooza and two small events that are mainly fundraisers or secret shows.

So there you have it. Did the best I could. If I hear different I will inform.

From the horse's mouth.

Tell em we said "howdy" and we will will leave the light on for whevever the decide to come back.

THE SOUTH ABIDES
    Brian
  • callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Politics has absolutely nothing to do with the Jam not visiting us.......the simple fact is this and only this.......there are only sooo many freakin days in a year...and sooooooooooooo many places to play..and so few days for themselves...they spent alot of time on work last year...more hours than any of us...

They'll be back....no worries.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
    Flagg wrote:
    This past couple of years has been a little disappointing as far as the way 10c handles things. There was the fiasco with the '05 Philly show ticketing followed by endless bitching followed by the Love Letter that included Big Bold Free thing that never happened and was never mentioned again. Then there was the bullshit way the 2006 dates were announced.

And no, I don't think they need to go so far as to tell us where they are not playing, but the least they could do is release all dates at once so we know what to do. If they don't want to play the south, then fine. They could have release ALL US dates at once so everyone could have gone to the show of their choice.

There was only one reason the dates were announced the way they were, and that was to maximize ticket sales by hooking in people that weren't willing to wait to see if they would come to their area. It was a bullshit way to treat your fans from an organization that claims to put the fans first.

Putting the fans first doesn't quite rank as high with the 10c as it once did.

Also, I am not begrudging the band's decision to take a break by any means. I love this band. They deserve a break. And if it means they will stay together longer and put out more albums and tours, then all the better for us.

But the 10c needs to re-evaluate the way they run things. They may be the best fan club in the business but in my opinion they slipped a little last year.
    I don't believe that I could have said it any better than this. Great job, Flagg.
  • KertokovichKertokovich Posts: 193
    tybird wrote:
    Oklahoma has one of the coolest state birds around.........the Scissor-tailed Flycatcher. One or two occasionally make it this far east. Great bird.
    I see a ton of those down here in North Central Texas.

Ok guys we cant give up and get pissed. I have a friend who has always gone to their shows with me and he is making this a personal thing.

I do wish we got communication but until I hear what the reasons actually were from them there is not much point in speculating. I am sure they will play the south on their next tour and if what JTR says is true, that will be in 08. I am dissapointed as well but I can still listen to their music, which is what they are really all about anyways. I am not about to call the band that has been the most influential in my life sellouts or just interested int eh all might dollar when we know that is not true. That is why we love. Yes they have to make smart business decisions. Yes they have their own personal views and will act upon them but I dont think skipping us the past tour was because of personal reasons and if so that is their right. But I would love to know why but I will be fine if I never know, especially since I know in my heart they will be back.

~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    Can't You Feel This World, With Your Heart and Not Your Brain
    Nov. 1993 OKC
    Sept. 1995 Austin
    July 1998 Kansas City
    Oct. 2000 Dallas
    June 2003 Dallas
    I see a ton of those down here in North Central Texas.

Ok guys we cant give up and get pissed. I have a friend who has always gone to their shows with me and he is making this a personal thing.

I do wish we got communication but until I hear what the reasons actually were from them there is not much point in speculating. I am sure they will play the south on their next tour and if what JTR says is true, that will be in 08. I am dissapointed as well but I can still listen to their music, which is what they are really all about anyways. I am not about to call the band that has been the most influential in my life sellouts or just interested int eh all might dollar when we know that is not true. That is why we love. Yes they have to make smart business decisions. Yes they have their own personal views and will act upon them but I dont think skipping us the past tour was because of personal reasons and if so that is their right. But I would love to know why but I will be fine if I never know, especially since I know in my heart they will be back.

~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    ~Play the South~
    Maybe I'm just having a bad day in general, but right now my faith in this band has taken another serious hit. Maybe they are too busy in their personal lives to mind the 10c store, and gave it in trust to someone else. That someone else is doing a poor job at connecting with a significant portion of the fan base. Whether that's the band's fault or someone else's fault, it is still a bad situation. To flat ignore out people in this manner is just bad business.
    JTR wrote:
    It means a new album and child-rearing for a tour next year.

The two small shows will occur at the end of July in the NORTHERN Midwest and in October in the NORTH.

Feel so damn Absolom Absolom!

BTW, thanks for trying to keep us up to date throughout this. PJ fans can be pretty demanding which is a compliment for the boys. Nice to see a new album on the list of things to do. The next best thing to them touring is new music.

THE SOUTH ABIDES
    it may be a while, but we'll still be here
    Brian
    NCBRI wrote:
    BTW, thanks for trying to keep us up to date throughout this. PJ fans can be pretty demanding which is a compliment for the boys. Nice to see a new album on the list of things to do. The next best thing to them touring is new music.

THE SOUTH ABIDES
    it may be a while, but we'll still be here
    Yes, thank you again JTR. Without your knowledge, we would really have been in the dark. We owe you drinks or dinner or some such at a future event.
    tybird wrote:
    Yes, thank you again JTR. Without your knowledge, we would really have been in the dark. We owe you drinks or dinner or some such at a future event.

tybird, you still gotta get a pic posted of that sweet new poster of yours. I know everyone would love to take a gander.

THE SOUTH ABIDES
    no funny catch phrase affixed
    Brian
    NCBRI wrote:
    tybird, you still gotta get a pic posted of that sweet new poster of yours. I know everyone would love to take a gander.

THE SOUTH ABIDES
    no funny catch phrase affixed
    If I ever get a photobucket account or use a digital camera. I own thousands of dollars in film camera equipment, but think that digital=polaroid.

I'll get it done soon, hopefully.
  • stonegstoneg Posts: 1,940
    Oh well.Just my luck. No shows! Do you think J Records has anything to do with them not touring the South? I think it was pretty shitty. All we needed was like 3 shows and I think we would have been happy with that. Would still like to know who your source is JTR But I understand.Do me a favor tell them to at least send me my god damm single!
    Ft. Lauderdale 96'
    Tampa 00'
    West Palm Beach 03'
    House of Blues 03'
    Tampa 03'
    Kissimmee 04'
    West Palm Beach 08'
    Tampa 08'
    Eddie Vedder Clearwater both nights 2012
  • stonegstoneg Posts: 1,940
    Do not fear all.We are still going forward with the Not for You tour in Savannah at the end of June.We will not cancel that.
    Ft. Lauderdale 96'
    Tampa 00'
    West Palm Beach 03'
    House of Blues 03'
    Tampa 03'
    Kissimmee 04'
    West Palm Beach 08'
    Tampa 08'
    Eddie Vedder Clearwater both nights 2012