***Official Please Play The South Petition***

Comments

• BeBeBeBe Posts: 229
    dangerboy wrote:
    now, let's talk about this one....

down here in central and eastern north carolina, some people say that the mid day meal is dinner, and that the late day meal is supper. personally, i grew up on lunch being called lunch and supper being called supper and occasionally i would hear the word dinner but it usually referred to a specific event, like a fund raiser or church social or maybe somebody was getting some kind of civic award or something....

how 'bout y'all?

unofficial sticky bump for unique southern vernacular....

lmfao! @ southern vernacular!
    Where is Lowlight?
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    supper=dinner=lunch, they are interchangable, where I come from bump

North-central Alabama

Please Play the South
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    lunch is lunch

dinner is supper is dinner

it was good too

bump for digiorno garlic bread supreme pizza
    Dinner can=lunch, on special occasions such as previously mentioned by dangerboy bump

Please Play the South
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    tybird wrote:
    Dinner can=lunch, on special occasions such as previously mentioned by dangerboy bump

Please Play the South

true, dinner can sometimes be a late lunch or an early supper, especially if its sunday around 2 pm

bump!
  • NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    dangerboy wrote:
    now, let's talk about this one....

down here in central and eastern north carolina, some people say that the mid day meal is dinner, and that the late day meal is supper. personally, i grew up on lunch being called lunch and supper being called supper and occasionally i would hear the word dinner but it usually referred to a specific event, like a fund raiser or church social or maybe somebody was getting some kind of civic award or something....

how 'bout y'all?

unofficial sticky bump for unique southern vernacular....

Yeah, I grew up in rural northeastern North Carolina and a lot of people would refer to lunch as "dinner". I never got that. It always seemed weird to me. My dad is from down here and Im sure he grew up saying it like that, but my mom is from Long Island and she has never in my life refered to it as anything but lunch........unless like someone said it takes place in very late afternoon and then its usually accompanied by the phrase: "You better eat up, because this is your dinner".
    Brian
  • Have we discussed how every soft drink is called Coke yet?

Play Raleigh!!
  • evening bump for FLORIDA!!
    And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky,a human being that was given 2 fly - Bryan you are loved R.I.P
  • tybird wrote:
    supper=dinner=lunch, they are interchangable, where I come from bump

North-central Alabama

Please Play the South

In south-central Va. and central NC, supper may NEVER = lunch, however, supper MAY = dinner, which is the evening meal...That's the way it is bump.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!
    - Benjamin Franklin

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went.
    -Will Rogers

Yes in NC, if you eat around 4-4:30 you'll hear the above....however dont yankees refer to this as an "earlybird"? bump

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!
    - Benjamin Franklin

-Will Rogers

Play Raleigh!!

and you better not call it a "pop" either!

- Benjamin Franklin

-Will Rogers
    Yes in NC, if you eat around 4-4:30 you'll hear the above....however dont yankees refer to this as an "earlybird"? bump

yes!

earlybird special = discount dinners for seniors who like to eat around 5 pm

bump for the South
  • How many trees will I need to plant in order to reduce the "carbon footprint" of the tour enough for them to come to Raleigh?

I'm in for at least 10...anybody from Chapel Hill care to suggest a #? (this ought to be right up ya'lls alley).

Bring It To Raleigh!...I'll Get My Shovel and Miracle Grow Ready!

- Benjamin Franklin

-Will Rogers
    10:19 Bump!!!
    Ft. Lauderdale 96'
    Tampa 00'
    West Palm Beach 03'
    House of Blues 03'
    Tampa 03'
    Kissimmee 04'
    West Palm Beach 08'
    Tampa 08'
    Eddie Vedder Clearwater both nights 2012
    11:26 CDT save from the second page........How about them Cowboys!!!!!

Please Play the South
  • NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    BUMP because it sucks going back to work on Monday no matter what region of the country you're from.
    Brian
  • dangerboydangerboy Posts: 1,569
    early am unofficial sticky bump for brian, cuz i thought i was up early....

ebay isn't evil people are

The South is Much Obliged
    bump before i start my day of errands and appointments, so back to page one with you and i'll be back later to make sure you didn't slip away again!
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    BeBe wrote:
    lol!!!
    You got it correct!!!

My husband calls the boys The Sprogs....which is really a good name for a band..if there isn't one already by that name..I need to ask dunkman if it's really a Scottish term or did my husband just say it was..lol!

its sorta British as a whole... not really scottish per se... although it is used, its fairly modern i think..

Bairn and weans (pronounced waynes) are old scottish words for kids... still very much used today :)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • stonegstoneg Posts: 1,940
    Good Morning bump!!!
    Ft. Lauderdale 96'
    Tampa 00'
    West Palm Beach 03'
    House of Blues 03'
    Tampa 03'
    Kissimmee 04'
    West Palm Beach 08'
    Tampa 08'
    Eddie Vedder Clearwater both nights 2012
    Just another good morning bump

Please Play the South
  • Please play Houston...
    Please Play the South...............
  • Please!!!
    "So, you must really love Led Zeppelin. That’s the oldest shirt I’ve ever seen on someone who wasn’t a bum."
    "Hey, if God didn’t want me to wear it so much, he wouldn’t have made them rock so hard."
  • hump de bump you gotta....!
    10.07.96 Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    09.22.98 West Palm Beach, FL
    09.23.98 West Palm Beach, FL
    08.09.00 West Palm Beach, FL
    04.11.03 West Palm Beach, FL
    10.08.04 Kissimmee, FL
    05.28.06 Camden, NJ
    06.11.08 West Palm Beach, FL
    06.12.08 Tampa, FL
    11.30.12 Ft. Lauderdale, FL (Ed Solo)
    12.01.12 Ft. Lauderdale, FL (Ed Solo)
    04.08.16 Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    04.09.16 Miami, FL
    04.11.16 Tampa, FL
    Mid-morning.....on a gloomy looking Monday bump

Please Play the South
  • dangerboydangerboy Posts: 1,569
    it's a beautiful day here in central north carolina, amen.....well, from what i can tell by looking out the studio window, that is...

unofficial sticky bump from a country dj....

ebay isn't evil people are

The South is Much Obliged
    The sun is cracking through here, too. Bump

Please Play the South
  • BeBeBeBe Posts: 229
    Bump for the south.
    Where is Lowlight?
    Bumping because it's my turn to bump

Please Play the South