Stones vs. Zeppelin

iAmNoKilleriAmNoKiller Posts: 25
edited September 2006 in Other Music
I'm sure this has been brought up before, but I wanted to see what people had to say. Last night my boss and I got into an argument over who was the better band. I said Zep, he said the Stones. However, his only argument, really, was that the Stones are still around and selling out arenas. I love both bands, but have to tip my hat to Zep. What does everyone else think. Better musicians, better performers, better sales, more of an influence, base it on anything...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• merlynmerlyn Posts: 179
    zeppelin, these guys are musical gods!!!! you're right man!!!:)
    champagne for my real friends & i'm a real pain for my sham friends.. ;)
  • parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    I'm sure this has been brought up before, but I wanted to see what people had to say. Last night my boss and I got into an argument over who was the better band. I said Zep, he said the Stones. However, his only argument, really, was that the Stones are still around and selling out arenas. I love both bands, but have to tip my hat to Zep. What does everyone else think. Better musicians, better performers, better sales, more of an influence, base it on anything...

Ooh, tough one...

I think LZ is a better band and Stones is really fun to listen every once a while...

So, in the end...I think LZ is a bit better...only a bit.
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Zep all the way.

Their work was awesome. I don't even own a stones album I dont care for many of their songs. To me the stones are like ACDC fun to listen to but i don't take them too seriously.

Zep on the other hand i think made awesome music.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • merlynmerlyn Posts: 179
    intodeep wrote:
    Zep all the way.

Their work was awesome. I don't even own a stones album I dont care for many of their songs. To me the stones are like ACDC fun to listen to but i don't take them too seriously.

Zep on the other hand i think made awesome music.

yeah but ac/dc have an electric sound that just get your foot tappin then make you wanna rock out!!!!! i'm of same opinion bout the stones?
    champagne for my real friends & i'm a real pain for my sham friends.. ;)
  • No contest Zep
    For threatening my baby
    Unborn and unamed
    You aint worth the blood
    That runs through your veins
  • The Stooges all the way !
    11/25/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/26/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/28/05 - Porto Alegre, BR
    06/01/07 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/16/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/17/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/19/08 - Buenos Aires
  • ManuManu Posts: 40
    Led Zeppelin, without a doubt.
    2000-06-23 Zurich
    2006-09-13 Bern
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    As much as I love the Stones it has to be Led Zeppelin.

I'm just glad I'll never have to choose listening to one over the other. I couldn't imagine an autumn without listening to Exile On Main St while walking through the woods. I couldn't imagine my life without Zeppelin. Hell, my kid is named after Jimmy Page.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Ron Asheton kicks Keith's and Jimmy' ass for damn sure. I mean, listen to Funhouse, that's a masterpiece.
    11/25/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/26/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/28/05 - Porto Alegre, BR
    06/01/07 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/16/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/17/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/19/08 - Buenos Aires
  • Zeppelin over the Stones for me. I never really could get into the Stones and hate how some people consider them to be equals to the Beatles and even greater than Zeppelin. to each their own I guess. They have been around forever so I guess they're good. I just can't get into it
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    Zeppelin. No contest.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
    Zeppelin over the Stones for me. I never really could get into the Stones and hate how some people consider them to be equals to the Beatles and even greater than Zeppelin. to each their own I guess. They have been around forever so I guess they're good. I just can't get into it

Yeah, I am some people...

I think the Stones are not equals of The Beatles; they're better and have better songs (Zep rules both).
    ♪♫♪♫♫

♪♫♪♫♫
  • In the words of the immortal John Bender :

NOT EVEN CLOSE.....BUD

Zeppelin blows them the f*ck away

Stones are a nice radio band that everyone can listen to. They have some terrific songs, but please

Zeppelin is a serious Musical force

And to the claim about the Stones still selling out arenas, if Zep re-formed tomorrow with the remaining members and did a world tour - it would make more money than you could dream about , my friend
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
  • The Stones are awesome. Sympathy for the Devil and Gimme Shelter are 2 of the greatest songs of all time in my opinion. Every album up to and including Exile on Main Street is absolutely classic. The Stones define rock n roll swagger.

That said, I think Zeppelin is the greatest rock band of all time. I can't think of another band that had such a combination of amazing musicianship and musical chemistry. Watch the DVD anthology. If you aren't blown away by that, I'm just not sure what you look for in arock band. Their first 6 albums are all masterpieces.

Zeppelin wins it for me.

The Stones still put on a great show, but their recent albums have only been okay. Robert Plant's last album, the Might Rearranger, was great. If you're at all interested in blues rock with world music influences, definitely check it out. If only Jimmy Page would get off his ass and make some new music.
  • ToshalaToshala Posts: 200
    granted, RS are still around; came out with some classic songs that are timeless.....but, I've never owned any of their albums, wouldn't care to see them live for that matter.......

in other words, LED ZEPPELIN's music is better overall. Different yes, but still better.

IMO
  • As many have said, Zeppelin no contest...

I wouldnt even have to read past "Zeppelin or" in the Zeppelin or Stones (or any other band for that matter) question. There is no better music on this earth IMO than Led Zeppelin.
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me..." ~PJ
  • I pretty much agree with SOLAT41 except Zeppelin are tied with Hendrix for me.
  • The Stones. Zep always took themselves way too seriously, for my tastes.
    The Stones. Zep always took themselves way too seriously, for my tastes.

Cool - you're the first on that comes up with Mick and co.
    ♪♫♪♫♫

♪♫♪♫♫
  • Zeppelin, and it's not even close.
    "So, you must really love Led Zeppelin. That’s the oldest shirt I’ve ever seen on someone who wasn’t a bum."
    "Hey, if God didn’t want me to wear it so much, he wouldn’t have made them rock so hard."
  • parel jam wrote:
    Cool - you're the first on that comes up with Mick and co.

I mean it, too. I quickly get bored of those violin bow solos, that baby-baby-baby-baby hobbity stuff, and all that Bonzo-style, hammer of Thor solo plodding. I heard a boot of Zep, where there's this horrendous drum solo for about forty-five minutes. The Rolling Stones could have played the whole of Beggar's Banquet, plus extra songs, during that!

I do like Zep, but in small doses.

Ha, rant over. :)
  • i wouldn't say it's not even close, but for me zeppelin will always be the greatest rock band ever. Jimmy Paige blows keith out of the water and the same with plant and mick. Zeppelin's albums never sounded the same, always had huge success, and were always groundbreaking. If bonzo never died zeppelin would've made at least a couple more albums and god knows how many more tours they could've/would've done. The stones don't sound good live anymore and their stuff thru the 80's and on is ok at best. zeppelin rein's supreme.
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • Definitley Led Zeppelin.
    The Official Matt Cameron appreciation signature!
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    These are 2 of my favorite bands ever but I give it to Led Zeppelin hands down. This is no knock on the Stones. I like the Stones better than the Beatles, I just thing Zep is in a different category.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Zeppelin for sure.
  • that question is the same as asking "who do you love more, your mom or your dad?" i can't really do it.

i listen to the stones more frequently, but zeppelin's musicianship is matchless.
  • Zeppelin wins hands down!!
    Arms wide open with the sea as my floor.
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    the rolling mother fucking stones.

nuff said
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    stones selling out arenas-not at their ticket prices!
    btw, Zep
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go