Artists that everybody seems to love on this forum but you

Comments

• PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    maybe ive missed it but it seems people are simply listing bands they dont like. i havent seen prasie for some of these bands by a majority of the people of this board.

anyways one person that i have seen, not lately though, that alot of people like is jeff buckley. i find him boring.
  • QOTSA, generic?? holyfuckingshit trix.. that is one bold call girl. :D have you listened to era vulgaris or rated r

Damn right. Some of QOTSA's musical tendencies are just bizzare, like the first single from Era Vulgaris what ever it was called. Sometimes they seem to be trying to right weird songs for just the sake of being wierd. Anything but generic.
  • ToneTone Posts: 1,206
    anyways one person that i have seen, not lately though, that alot of people like is jeff buckley. i find him boring.

WOAH! *passes out*

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, that just blows me away. Wow. Aside from PJ, hands down the best gigs I've ever seen. He was phenomenal, but again, that's just my opinion ;)
    Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive.
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    Tone wrote:
    WOAH! *passes out*

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, that just blows me away. Wow. Aside from PJ, hands down the best gigs I've ever seen. He was phenomenal, but again, that's just my opinion ;)
    not only yours... I've seen Jeff Buckley too and it was uncredible. I can understand people who don't like MMJ, arcadre fire, etc. but I can't understand not liking J. buckley..
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    g under p wrote:
    Have you been locked up for sometime now?
    Why is it that because someone says they don't like the standard bands that seemingly everyone HAS to like, they get ripped for it by several people? Fucking hell. Todd has the best music taste of anyone I have encountered on this board.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    Julien wrote:
    not only yours... I've seen Jeff Buckley too and it was uncredible. I can understand people who don't like MMJ, arcadre fire, etc. but I can't understand not liking J. buckley..

Amen to that! He was mesmerising live. Never seen anything like it.
    Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive.
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    Tone wrote:
    WOAH! *passes out*

I've owned Grace for quite a few years, and while I applaud Jeff's vocal abilities I don't don't exactly enjoy listening to him. I play the album a couple times a year, and I find myself counting the minutes until the last song ends. It's not a matter of appreciating the guy, but the fact that I don't get much enjoyment out of listening to him.

As for my general feeling with regard to music discussed on this site, there's one significant issue for me: I'm not a fan of much hard rock. Obviously I like Pearl Jam, and I still hold some regard for Soundgarden and Alice in Chains, and I do enjoy Zeppelin every so often. But in general the stuff doesn't appeal to me. I can't relate to the aggression.
  • my morning jacket and death cab for cutie
    My whole life looked like a picture of a sunny day.

Summerfest 95, 06 Alpine 92, 98, 00, 03 Chicago 95, 98, 00, 03, 06, 07 Grand Rapids 04, St. John's 05 Milwaukee 08
  • maccimacci Posts: 1,057
    That's enough John Mayer........
    My lips are shaking.......
    soclose wrote:
    I've owned Grace for quite a few years, and while I applaud Jeff's vocal abilities I don't don't exactly enjoy listening to him. I play the album a couple times a year, and I find myself counting the minutes until the last song ends. It's not a matter of appreciating the guy, but the fact that I don't get much enjoyment out of listening to him.

Hey, like I said, everyone's entitled to their opinion and I'm certainly not going to jump down your throat about it, I'm just surprised when I hear people say things like that, that's all. That being said, it took me a few listens to really *get* Jeff Buckley and Grace. Seeing him live was (for wont of a better phrase) a religious experience. Honestly never seen anything like it, never been in a gig before where you could hear a pin drop, no-one sang along, no-one spoke, no-one moved, everyone was transfixed by Jeff and what he was doing on stage. I saw him in a venue that was reserved seating and then in a standing GA venue. Both very different, both equally incredible. Anyway, I'll shut-up... different strokes and all that ;)

If I didn't enjoy listening to someone, then I wouldn't. I'm not being facetious, but is there a reason you do listen to Grace when you don't really enjoy it? Just curious. Personally I have a hard time listening to Jeff since he died, it's just too upsetting.
    Tone wrote:
    Hey, like I said, everyone's entitled to their opinion and I'm certainly not going to jump down your throat about it, I'm just surprised when I hear people say things like that, that's all. That being said, it took me a few listens to really *get* Jeff Buckley and Grace. Seeing him live was (for want of a better phrase) a religious experience. Honestly never seen anything like it, never been in a gig before where you could hear a pin drop, no-one sang along, no-one spoke, no-one moved, everyone was transfixed by Jeff and what he was doing on stage. I saw him in a venue that was reserved seating and then in a standing GA venue. Both very different, both equally incredible. Anyway, I'll shut-up... different strokes and all that ;)

If I didn't enjoy listening to someone, then I wouldn't. I'm not being facetious, but is there a reason you do listen to Grace when you don't really enjoy it? Just curious.

Just adding my perspective.:)

Have you ever listened to a piece of classical music, or something from a genre you're not normally a fan of, and think "this is beautiful, but I can't see myself listening to it often"? .

I recognize he was a great talent, and every so often I decide to give him a try again. I see the beauty in his music, but I don't connect to it the way I do with other musicians I adore.

I don't dislike him by any means, but I can think of 100 other albums I'd rather listen to right now.

Perhaps when I say I don't "enjoy" his music I interpret the phrase differently than the way you do. To me appreciating and enjoying are not necessarily the same thing, just as not enjoying and disliking are not equal.
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    muppet wrote:
    I hate Wilco. But I post on the Pearl Jam message board. So what now? PARADOX.

I refuse to believe anyone can HATE Wilco and be a Pearl Jam fan. Unless there's some insane story about Jeff Tweedy stealing the girl of your dreams I think you're just jerking our chains. :D
    soclose wrote:
    Have you ever listened to a piece of classical music, or something from a genre you're not normally a fan of, and think "this is beautiful, but I can't see myself listening to it often"? .
    Nup. If I hear a beautiful piece of music from a genre that I don't normally listen to, I try to find more from that genre and have found some incredible music in doing so :)
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Nup. If I hear a beautiful piece of music from a genre that I don't normally listen to, I try to find more from that genre and have found some incredible music in doing so :)

For me the mere fact of thinking "hey, that's beautiful" isn't necessarily enough to make me ever want hear a piece again. There's a certain connection that must be made, and not just any well-made song is going to create that connection for me.

In recent years I've opened up to genres I never thought I cared for (first country music, jazz more recently). But this occurred because I feel the music. I'm certain I'd heard lovely country songs years earlier, but it took time before I found the song that felt right for me.

But this is getting way off topic. My intention wasn't even to say anything negative about Jeff Buckley. It was just a thought on why another person might not like him.:)
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    radiohead

ditto.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
    soclose wrote:
    For me the mere fact of thinking "hey, that's beautiful" isn't necessarily enough to make me ever want hear a piece again. There's a certain connection that must be made, and not just any well-made song is going to create that connection for me.

In recent years I've opened up to genres I never thought I cared for (first country music, jazz more recently). But this occurred because I feel the music. I'm certain I'd heard lovely country songs years earlier, but it took time before I found the song that felt right for me.

But this is getting way off topic. My intention wasn't even to say anything negative about Jeff Buckley. It was just a thought on why another person might not like him.:)
    I know what you mean :) I just thought I'd chip in for the hell of it.
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I know what you mean :) I just thought I'd chip in for the hell of it.

No problem. I just want to make sure I don't come off as close minded.;)
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Tool
    RHCP
    Jack Johnson
    OAR (they show up sometimes)
    Kings of Leon (first EP and LP were good)
    STP- they were a singles band!! no good albums straight through!!
    Chris Cornell- once he joined Audioslave i gave up on him.
    soclose wrote:
    Just adding my perspective.:)

I recognize he was a great talent, and every so often I decide to give him a try again. I see the beauty in his music, but I don't connect to it the way I do with other musicians I adore.

I don't dislike him by any means, but I can think of 100 other albums I'd rather listen to right now.

Perhaps when I say I don't "enjoy" his music I interpret the phrase differently than the way you do. To me appreciating and enjoying are not necessarily the same thing, just as not enjoying and disliking are not equal.

I "appreciate" and get what you're saying ;) I agree that there is a difference between appreciation and enjoyment. It's pretty cool that you bought Grace given you appreciate it rather than enjoy it, cause I generally don't buy music that I only appreciate. I used to be a complete music snob, but now I listen to music across pretty much every genre and enjoy it :)
    soclose wrote:
    My intention wasn't even to say anything negative about Jeff Buckley. It was just a thought on why another person might not like him.

Nah, I didn't take it that you were being negative about him. Was just curious. ;)
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    LongRd. wrote:
    Mike Patton is a badass mutherfukkkka!

mbangel10 wrote:
    I have to second that notion. That man can do pretty much anything musically, and he does. Plus, his voice is simply amazing.

yeah theres moments, but nothing thats converted me to a fan. ah well, maybe ill get it on my deathbed. on the other hand, maybe he's just a pile of shite?
    its 50:50

:)
  • mbangel10mbangel10 Posts: 548
    JordyWordy wrote:
    yeah theres moments, but nothing thats converted me to a fan. ah well, maybe ill get it on my deathbed. on the other hand, maybe he's just a pile of shite?
    its 50:50

:)

Patton is not for everyone and some of his music isn't the easiest to digest. I consider him to be sort of a mad genius of music... he'll never be mainstream.

I didn't know that there was a lot of love for Patton on this board. I don't see many posts about him so I was surprised his name popped up on this list. Maybe I should do a Mike Patton appreciation thread to see if more than a few people here actually listen to him.
    Pitt 98, Pitt 00, Cleveland 03, Pitt 03, State College 03, Toledo 04, Toronto 05, Pitt 05, Cleveland 06, Pitt 06 & Chicago 07, Chicago 1&2 09, Philly 2,3,4 09, Cleveland 10, Columbus 10, Alpine Valley 1& 2 11
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    mbangel10 wrote:
    Patton is not for everyone and some of his music isn't the easiest to digest. I consider him to be sort of a mad genius of music... he'll never be mainstream.

I didn't know that there was a lot of love for Patton on this board. I don't see many posts about him so I was surprised his name popped up on this list. Maybe I should do a Mike Patton appreciation thread to see if more than a few people here actually listen to him.

you have a point there, the people who do like him at all seem to love him...ud probably get a good response to that thread!
  • Guns 'n' Roses. I hate them so much that I don't even enjoy hating them.
    Guns 'n' Roses. I hate them so much that I don't even enjoy hating them.
    Today was the first time I think I've ever had a disagreement over music with you and it has happened twice :eek:

First, that Jack Johnson is "ok". Secondly, I think Appetite for Destruction is brilliant and always have :)

But it's ok because I'm listening to Bud Powell at the mo.
  • Doesn't Axl's ridiculous, whiny nasal white trash pasty-faced bitch voice get on your nerves, though? Objectively speaking, of course. :D
    Doesn't Axl's ridiculous, whiny nasal white trash pasty-faced bitch voice get on your nerves, though? Objectively speaking, of course. :D
    A little bit but I enjoy it at times too. I just think it's a fun, utterly unpretentious, totally enjoyable rock n' roll album and a breath of fresh air in comparison to the other mainstream rock at the time. Plus, it's just me holding on to a little of my 13 year-old self :) The same kid whose hero was Slash and who spent HOURS perfecting the intro to Sweet Child O' Mine on his cheap, crappy Japanese Les Paul copy :D

I think most of their post-AFD work is shite though, don't get me wrong.
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    A little bit but I enjoy it at times too. I just think it's a fun, utterly unpretentious, totally enjoyable rock n' roll album and a breath of fresh air in comparison to the other mainstream rock at the time. Plus, it's just me holding on to a little of my 13 year-old self :) The same kid whose hero was Slash and who spent HOURS perfecting the intro to Sweet Child O' Mine on his cheap, crappy Japanese Les Paul copy :D

I think most of their post-AFD work is shite though, don't get me wrong.

Well, that's me still in the minority, then. :D
  • Ben Harper
    Sleater Kinney
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    thats easy. arcade fire, they suck.

yes. very easy. im with him...

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    Doesn't Axl's ridiculous, whiny nasal white trash pasty-faced bitch voice get on your nerves, though?
    Oh my word..........now that's just nasty!