Artists that everybody seems to love on this forum but you

Comments

• libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    <insert any band that opens for Pearl Jam here>

Me too for the most part.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • I can agree with Jack Johnson. They play him a lot at work.... him and John Mayer. Bleh!

Three crooked hearts, swirls all around

You can't spell Gossard without G-O-D
  • libragirl wrote:
    Me too for the most part.

Me three. I am pretty tired of Sleater Kinney ruining perfectly good encores.

Three crooked hearts, swirls all around

You can't spell Gossard without G-O-D
  • It's completeley cool to say that a certain band isn't your cup of tea, but for anyone that's claiming bands like Wilco and Arcade Fire are "drivel" or "unlistenable" or whatever makes you sound mentally retarded.

I hate some of the bands mentioned as much as the next guy, but I can understand and respect why they have large followings and don't feel the need to sound like a musically-challenged idiot.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Good for you for presuming to know his point. Without him elaborating on his point, it was a blanket statement that includes all bands that have had a singer die, regardless of continuing on or reforming.

Anyways, when the personnel remains the same except for the singer, there really isn't much difference. If it had been Jerry Cantrell and 3 other musicians who weren't previously in AiC, then yeah, change the name. Same goes for Blind Melon and any other band.

i didnt presume to know what his point was. however it appeared plain to me that what he was saying was that if you replace a dead singer then you should change the name of the band. he then went on to name two bands who not only had lost their singers but had replaced them only after they reformed years after they had disbanded. there was not a decision as there was with AC/DC to immediately tryout a new guy. thats what MY point was. and thats the only connection i made. iw orked with what was in thepost. i'm not a fucking mind reader and i never made out that i was.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • ToneTone Posts: 1,206
    As with many others here, I don't get:
    White Stripes
    MMJ
    Kings of Leon
    Modest Mouse

I do get:
    Neil Young
    Radiohead
    Blind Melon (although I didn't know they'd reformed, I'm not down with that)
    AIC
    Soundgarden/Chris Cornell
    Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive.
  • augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    Post the bands that you dont give a damn about that constantly are brought up in threads.

My Morning Jacket
    Soundgarden (I like them but come on, they have been broken up for years and Chris Cornell hasnt made anything worth a damn since then)
    Death Cab For Cutie
    Wilco
    Drive By Truckers

oasis suck

there, i said it
    augustwest wrote:
    oasis suck

there, i said it

Yeah, I'm not their biggest fan, either... they're the epitome of whinging poms ;)
    Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive.
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Mars Volta. I really gave them a listen, seen them at least 4x, have one of their CDs, but they're just too out there for me, though their musicianship quality is clear.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
    JaneNY wrote:
    Mars Volta. I really gave them a listen, seen them at least 4x, have one of their CDs, but they're just too out there for me, though their musicianship quality is clear.

yeah i can understand this. the first time i saw them live i stood there and thought,what the fuck?. and later i thought theres no way i can not NOT like this band otherwise i wouldnt have bothered in the first place. i continued to listen to them and then the second time i saw them live it hit me. i saw them a third time and recently havent been listening to them. but the other day i put on scabdates and to me it sounded great and i remembered what it was i liked about them. but a lot of people cant get their heads around what the fuck cedric and omar are doing. and that's okay. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    Yeah, Mars Volta don't do it for me. Everytime I listen at the back of my mind is always "At The Drive-In split up for THIS?!". It makes me sad. :(

Sound Garden. Never was much of a grunge kid really.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    I think Springsteen sucks. After I read Sex,Drugs and Cocoa Puffs I lost my respect for Springsteen
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    LED ZEPPELIN
    Soundgarden
    Pink Floyd
    the Who
    Stone Temple Pilots
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • nutmeg81nutmeg81 Posts: 627
    Supergrass is the only band I have seen open for them and I was much less than impressed by them. They really dont have very good openers do they?

well i've seen The FAstbacks ('96) The Vandals ('00) PAddy fuckin Casey ('06) MMJ ('06) and missed Idlewild in Wembley.....never really impressed by em tbh! have seen he Vandals headlining in smaller venues and great craic altogether..
    26/10/96 dublin
    01/06/00 dublin
    23/08/06 dublin
    11/09/06 paris
    18/06/07 london
    17/08/09 manchester
    18/08/09 london
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Todd76 wrote:
    LED ZEPPELIN
    Soundgarden
    Pink Floyd
    the Who
    Stone Temple Pilots
    I like some Soundgarden stuff but other than that, agreed. I liked Led Zep, Floyd and The Who when I was younger but they don't do much for me anymore. Never did get into STP.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    Dave Matthews Band
    Mike Patton
    Ween
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    Todd76 wrote:
    LED ZEPPELIN
    Soundgarden
    Pink Floyd
    the Who
    Stone Temple Pilots

God I'd hate to be you
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    JordyWordy wrote:
    Dave Matthews Band
    Mike Patton
    Ween
    I forgot to add Dave Matthews to my list. I also don't care for NIN.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    JordyWordy wrote:
    Dave Matthews Band
    Mike Patton
    Ween

Oh god yes, I really don't get Dave Matthews Band at all and I did really try.
  • augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    Tone wrote:
    Yeah, I'm not their biggest fan, either... they're the epitome of whinging poms ;)

actually i have never seen oasis before and don't own any of their cd's so i can't really say, "they suck"

mostly, i was just posting towards pjoasisrule's post cause that person's taste of music really sucks ;)
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    Post the bands that you dont give a damn about that constantly are brought up in threads.

My Morning Jacket
    Soundgarden (I like them but come on, they have been broken up for years and Chris Cornell hasnt made anything worth a damn since then)
    Death Cab For Cutie
    Wilco
    Drive By Truckers
    add Nick Cave, Neil Finn?, Mars Volta...i get them.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    JordyWordy wrote:
    Dave Matthews Band
    Mike Patton
    Ween
    Mike Patton is a badass mutherfukkkka!
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Todd76 wrote:
    LED ZEPPELIN
    Soundgarden
    Pink Floyd
    the Who
    Stone Temple Pilots

Good God, do you work for Pitchfork?
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    Todd76 wrote:
    LED ZEPPELIN
    Soundgarden
    Pink Floyd
    the Who
    Stone Temple Pilots

Have you been locked up for sometime now?

Also went through this entire thread and it appears no one mentioned RUSH. Good thing cause they've been a continuing force for over 30 years and I'm seeing them tomorrow here in S. Florida.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Fair or not, if someone tells me they hate Wilco, that's pretty much the same as saying they hate Pearl Jam. Unless they're just not rock fans, their musical opinions become virtually worthless to me. You've got to draw the line somewhere.

That being said, I don't really have much use for much at all Chris Cornell has made since Soundgarden, especially Audioslave. There are plenty of bands I can't stand, but I think the majority of Pearl Jam fans feel the same way. I do notice a lot of folks bashing Dave Matthews Band and U2 and although I can't defend they're most recent albums they've put out way too much great music to just write them off as has beens as many here have apparently done.
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    Kings Of Leon- Saw them at Lolla and just wasn't into them
    Wilco
    Sleater Kinney
    Radio Head

these are not bands I cannot stand, just bands I cannot seem to take a loving to enough to buy their stuff.
  • mbangel10mbangel10 Posts: 548
    LongRd. wrote:
    Mike Patton is a badass mutherfukkkka!

I have to second that notion. That man can do pretty much anything musically, and he does. Plus, his voice is simply amazing.
    Pitt 98, Pitt 00, Cleveland 03, Pitt 03, State College 03, Toledo 04, Toronto 05, Pitt 05, Cleveland 06, Pitt 06 & Chicago 07, Chicago 1&2 09, Philly 2,3,4 09, Cleveland 10, Columbus 10, Alpine Valley 1& 2 11
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    gabers wrote:
    Fair or not, if someone tells me they hate Wilco, that's pretty much the same as saying they hate Pearl Jam. Unless they're just not rock fans, their musical opinions become virtually worthless to me. You've got to draw the line somewhere.

That being said, I don't really have much use for much at all Chris Cornell has made since Soundgarden, especially Audioslave. There are plenty of bands I can't stand, but I think the majority of Pearl Jam fans feel the same way. I do notice a lot of folks bashing Dave Matthews Band and U2 and although I can't defend they're most recent albums they've put out way too much great music to just write them off as has beens as many here have apparently done.

I hate Wilco. But I post on the Pearl Jam message board. So what now? PARADOX.
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    I know I will receive a shitstorm for this but.....
    Nirvana. I am just so utterly sick of them. I appreciate their influence on a generation and can listen to their music, but I am so over them.
    And Queens of the Stone Age....to be fair, I have not given them a chance, but they are generic.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
    TrixieCat wrote:
    I know I will receive a shitstorm for this but.....
    Nirvana. I am just so utterly sick of them. I appreciate their influence on a generation and can listen to their music, but I am so over them.
    And Queens of the Stone Age....to be fair, I have not given them a chance, but they are generic.

well theres no way i'm gonna touch that nirvana comment however....
    QOTSA, generic?? holyfuckingshit trix.. that is one bold call girl. :D have you listened to era vulgaris or rated r
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say