The Arctic Monkeys are shit

Comments

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    do you actually know which board you're posting on?

im quite sure seeing as i've wasted a shit ton of hours posting here. what difference does that make? pearl jam is not above faltering. oasis can't dream of reaching the best moments pearl jam has had. that doesn't mean pearl jam hasn't also turned out some truly mediocre crap. even when oasis is mediocre, however, i enjoy listening to them. ill take standing on the shoulders of giants over riot act any day. ill also take vs, yield, no code, avocado over definitely maybe any day.
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    What's with the Oasis dissing? I can understand that a lot of peopkle don't like Noel and Liam's attitudes, but their music rocks. In my opinion their albums are better than Pearl Jams, though Pearl Jam is better live. I'd take Definitely Maybe and Morning Glory over Ten and Vs anyday. Their so called bad albums BHN, SOTSOG, and HC are actually pretty good and better than anything the Arctic Monkeys will ever do. Oasis and Pearl Jam's first two albums are so good that it makes what they've put out since look not as good. As for The Arctic Monkeys, they will be forgotten in a few years time.
  • parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    I cannot wait to see the Arctic Monkeys live coming June!
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
  • Matty Boy wrote:
    What's with the Oasis dissing? I can understand that a lot of peopkle don't like Noel and Liam's attitudes, but their music rocks. In my opinion their albums are better than Pearl Jams, though Pearl Jam is better live. I'd take Definitely Maybe and Morning Glory over Ten and Vs anyday. Their so called bad albums BHN, SOTSOG, and HC are actually pretty good and better than anything the Arctic Monkeys will ever do. Oasis and Pearl Jam's first two albums are so good that it makes what they've put out since look not as good. As for The Arctic Monkeys, they will be forgotten in a few years time.

Oasis is better than the Beatles after all, just ask them.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Oasis is better than the Beatles after all, just ask them.

I dont think they ever said that..........especially considering that they look up to The Beatles more than anyone
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    A brillant band with two great albums and what a lyricist Alex Turner is.
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    America is the most arrogant country in the world and Oasis is the most arrogant band in the world. You would think that Americans would like Oasis, but it turns out that Americans only like other arrogant Americans. Kids save your money that you would spend buying Arctic Monkey Cd's and go pick up a Kinks album or an Oasis album.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    do you actually know which board you're posting on?

is there some rule that says we have to fawn over everything pearl jam do. that we cant have differing opinions over their apparent 'greatness'? blind faith is for religion, not music appreciation.
    shit i cant listen to riot act AT ALL. :D but hey that may be just me.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    is there some rule that says we have to fawn over everything pearl jam do. that we cant have differing opinions over their apparent 'greatness'? blind faith is for religion, not music appreciation.
    shit i cant listen to riot act AT ALL. :D but hey that may be just me.

I will conclude this argument with this statement.........ALL bands have their share of crap songs, not to exclude Pearl Jam. Even The Beatles have made some real duds. (This statement can exclude bands that have only put out an album or two)
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    Well that's the thing Oasis for all I say they have few brain cells, manipulated the press and used it to keep themselves relevant, if you're always in the media, you're always in people's minds.
    Where would they be had they took the Pearl Jam approach I wonder?:)
    I don't mind a band being in the media but in Oasis' case it's been for reasons such as their love life, their slagging of other bands, their fueding. Thats pathetic.
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
    I dont think they ever said that..........especially considering that they look up to The Beatles more than anyone
    Just wanted to ask a question, I'm not baiting you or trying to stir something up, just genuinely curious to hear what a fan of the band thinks.
    How do you feel about how the band ges into the media, I mean, the british media have shown grea suppor for he band and when they are releasing an album or doing shows the comments are usually glowing, yet they are in the media mostly for the reasons I mentioned in my previous points, does that ever bug you?

Dublin 08/06
    Binaural wrote:
    Just wanted to ask a question, I'm not baiting you or trying to stir something up, just genuinely curious to hear what a fan of the band thinks.
    How do you feel about how the band ges into the media, I mean, the british media have shown grea suppor for he band and when they are releasing an album or doing shows the comments are usually glowing, yet they are in the media mostly for the reasons I mentioned in my previous points, does that ever bug you?

Doesnt matter to me, they arent exactly tabloid kings here in America. Here we have Britney Spears, Anna Nicole Smith, and Paris Hilton to hear tons of pointless news/shit about.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    I use to like Oasis until they started putting out the same album every year.

Didn't they say All Around The World was better than Hey Jude? HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA.

Stop drinking. Seriously! Stop drinking.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Even The Beatles have made some real duds.

Yep, I don't know what they were thinking of here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5ky5ClIjL8

;)
  • Yep, I don't know what they were thinking of here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5ky5ClIjL8

;)
    Absolute brilliance
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    Matty Boy wrote:
    I can understand that a lot of peopkle don't like Noel and Liam's attitudes, but their music rocks. In my opinion their albums are better than Pearl Jams, though Pearl Jam is better live. I'd take Definitely Maybe and Morning Glory over Ten and Vs anyday.

Are you crazy ?
    I mean, Oasis is not bad, Liam is a singer I really appreciate and Noel (although he seems to be a stupid guy) can write some good songs (but he can't sing at all..).
    But please, don't say Oasis is better than PJ.
    PJ is so much more creative... Too many songs of Oasis are similar. ON each album they have a few songs I really really love, but their albums are not better than PJ ones... That's at least what I think.
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Binaural wrote:
    I don't mind a band being in the media but in Oasis' case it's been for reasons such as their love life, their slagging of other bands, their fueding. Thats pathetic.

That was pretty much the point I was trying to make, If they had not been media whores and the entire focus was on the music I dont think they would be here now, especially after the three shit albums they released in a row Be Here Now, SOTSOG, Heathen Chemistry, if it wasnt for their media manipulation I dont think the record labels would be interested after those albums.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • UKDaveUKDave Posts: 5,557
    Arctic Monkeys are a solid band still proving themselves, two albums in they are doing a damn good job of it and they still have their feet on the ground...

Oasis two albums in were at the same stage, media overload / can't do anything wrong etc but then disappeared up their arses for a while... Be Here Now was ok but bloated, Standing On The Shoulder bombed in the UK, Heathen Chemisty recovered a little and Don't Believe The Truth was the best thing they'd released since the first two albums.

As long as AM's don't fall into the same trap as Oasis, ie believing they are the "chosen ones" then they should be fine. They are very british though so not surprised that the reaction in the US is mixed, The Jam, The Smiths anyone? ;):o
    Astoria Crew
    Troubled souls unite, we got ourselves tonight...
    Astoria, Dublin, Reading 06
    Katowice, Wembley 07
    SBE, Manchester, O2 09
    Hyde Park 10
    Manchester 1&2 12
    This is just g'bye for now...
  • I'm surprised about the Arctics - generally speaking the British have a very good taste in music (according to their singles and top selling albums), but they totally foundered here.

I admit, I do like their song Dancing Shoes...but the rest is a big mass of noisy filler!
    Just support Obama, damn it.
  • UKDaveUKDave Posts: 5,557
    I'm surprised about the Arctics - generally speaking the British have a very good taste in music (according to their singles and top selling albums), but they totally foundered here.

I admit, I do like their song Dancing Shoes...but the rest is a big mass of noisy filler!

If you are judging the British taste by what are our top selling singles and albums then I'm sorry but our taste is absolute shite... just because something sells it doesn't mean it's good and if something doesn't sell it doesn't mean it's poor...
    Astoria Crew
    Troubled souls unite, we got ourselves tonight...
    Astoria, Dublin, Reading 06
    Katowice, Wembley 07
    SBE, Manchester, O2 09
    Hyde Park 10
    Manchester 1&2 12
    This is just g'bye for now...
    I'm surprised about the Arctics - generally speaking the British have a very good taste in music (according to their singles and top selling albums), but they totally foundered here.

Get on you're dancing shoe's, ya sexy little swine.:)

Lyrically I think Alex has a very clever sense of wit, which works well with his yorkshire accent, been from near that area and having spent many a night out in Sheffield I can totally see where it is all coming from.
    But this is also why I realise a lot of people dont get it, especially from America.
    Binaural wrote:

again, only in the uk. i've heard of none of this over here.

they did actually say this at some point. among other things. i think it was around the time they were blowing their brains out with coke during the be here now sessions.
    That was pretty much the point I was trying to make, If they had not been media whores and the entire focus was on the music I dont think they would be here now, especially after the three shit albums they released in a row Be Here Now, SOTSOG, Heathen Chemistry, if it wasnt for their media manipulation I dont think the record labels would be interested after those albums.

im pretty sure those albums all sold a helluva lot more copies than pearl jam's run of no code, yield, binaural, riot act. yet pj was still picked up by a record company.
    im pretty sure those albums all sold a helluva lot more copies than pearl jam's run of no code, yield, binaural, riot act. yet pj was still picked up by a record company.

True Soulsinging, very true.
    True Soulsinging, very true.

i think it's hard for americans to understand just what the oasis hype is like over there. oasis hasn't been in the news for over 10 years, at least. most people don't even know they're still around. they play wembley in the uk... they played a shitty little theater in indiana here. nobody knew any songs other than wonderwall and champagne supernova. and they played all the hits. so it's easier for americans to separate the band from the hype. at the same time, it's easier for brits to be annoyed as shit by the group's antics and the media adoration.

anyway, this thread was about the arctic monkeys ;) i still don't get it. to the people who love their new album, what'd you think of the first? cos i've listened to it a handful of times and wasn't really that impressed.
    again, only in the uk. i've heard of none of this over here.
    Tis a fair point. I don't know how to explain it but basically you'll catch them in the gossip columns of a rag called The Sun fairly often, and it's always to do with them slagging someone off.

Dublin 08/06
    i think it's hard for americans to understand just what the oasis hype is like over there. oasis hasn't been in the news for over 10 years, at least. most people don't even know they're still around. they play wembley in the uk... they played a shitty little theater in indiana here. nobody knew any songs other than wonderwall and champagne supernova. and they played all the hits. so it's easier for americans to separate the band from the hype. at the same time, it's easier for brits to be annoyed as shit by the group's antics and the media adoration.

anyway, this thread was about the arctic monkeys ;) i still don't get it. to the people who love their new album, what'd you think of the first? cos i've listened to it a handful of times and wasn't really that impressed.

I like the first but it is not as good as it is made out.
    The second album I was half way through and it sounds pretty good but my gf just turned it off to make some phone calls.
  • im pretty sure those albums all sold a helluva lot more copies than pearl jam's run of no code, yield, binaural, riot act. yet pj was still picked up by a record company.

Yeah and J Lo outsells them all so what's your point? Album sales does not equal quality.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
    Yeah and J Lo outsells them all so what's your point? Album sales does not equal quality.

His point is that after all these years they still have plenty of fans buying records where your latest pop craze will have high sales for maybe two records if they are lucky.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006