The Arctic Monkeys are shit

pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
edited April 2007 in Other Music
Is anybody else damn sick of hearing about them? Its outrageous how a band with as little talent as them can get the hype and critical acclaim that they do. You know its bad times for the music industry when a band like them get as big as they do.
Alpine Valley 2000
Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
    them and the arcade fire, the fratellis, and the silversun pickups too.
    "It's all happening"
  • magikevmagikev Posts: 296
    I actually like Arcade Fire . . . remind me a little of Roger Waters
  • I think they're great, personally. They're not meant to blow your mind nor do they claim to. It seems like some people assume just because an artist doesn't make really complicated music they have "little talent".

I enjoy them because they're a fun band to listen to and by no means are they "talentless". IMO, a lot of their guitar riffs are pretty damn cool.

I know it's all personal opinion and that's fine; that being said I would love you to show me a group of teenagers that create better music than the Arctic Monkeys.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    i like 'em.
  • Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
    brain of c wrote:
    i like 'em.

you would :(
    "It's all happening"
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    you would :(

thank you. i like rock bands.

as in more than one.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    I think they're great, personally. They're not meant to blow your mind nor do they claim to. It seems like some people assume just because an artist doesn't make really complicated music they have "little talent".

I enjoy them because they're a fun band to listen to and by no means are they "talentless". IMO, a lot of their guitar riffs are pretty damn cool.

I know it's all personal opinion and that's fine; that being said I would love you to show me a group of teenagers that create better music than the Arctic Monkeys.

The drumming is solid but the singer pretty much just talks and isnt on rhythm with the music, the arrangements make no sense, and the lyrics are nothing special. That being said..........The Redwalls are a much better young band

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HnVBQZptPts
    http://www.amazon.com/Nova-Redwalls/dp/B0009MAPYK/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-6745545-9408847?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1177466416&sr=1-1
    http://myspace.com/theredwalls
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• and the silversun pickups too.

you're crazy
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
    you're crazy

Thats the band with the singer that sounds like Liz Phair right?
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• The drumming is solid but the singer pretty much just talks and isnt on rhythm with the music, the arrangements make no sense, and the lyrics are nothing special. That being said..........The Redwalls are a much better young band

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HnVBQZptPts
    http://www.amazon.com/Nova-Redwalls/dp/B0009MAPYK/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-6745545-9408847?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1177466416&sr=1-1
    http://myspace.com/theredwalls
    Hey, the Red Walls sound pretty cool, thanks!

I think the AM arrangements are really interesting, personally...it's one of the aspects that draws me to them and impresses me, especially considering their age. It's not just your normal pop/rock 4/4 time sig...I love how their songs kinda herk and jerk you all over the place, but still remain enjoyable all at the same time. Vocally, sure he's not really a pure singer (many great rock and roll frontmen aren't great singers - - it's all about style and delivery often times), it's a different type of delivery which I feels compliments the herky-jerky guitar riffs...all when backed by a solid drummer comes together in a really cool way...again, it's all personal opinion :) Different strokes for different folks.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
    Hey, the Red Walls sound pretty cool, thanks!

I think the AM arrangements are really interesting, personally...it's one of the aspects that draws me to them and impresses me, especially considering their age. It's not just your normal pop/rock 4/4 time sig...I love how their songs kinda herk and jerk you all over the place, but still remain enjoyable all at the same time. Vocally, sure he's not really a pure singer (many great rock and roll frontmen aren't great singers - - it's all about style and delivery often times), it's a different type of delivery which I feels compliments the herky-jerky guitar riffs...all when backed by a solid drummer comes together in a really cool way...again, it's all personal opinion :) Different strokes for different folks.

I advise you to buy The Redwalls - De Nova.........it is my favorite album of the new millenium. Every song on it is quality, its like The Beatles/Bob Dylan/Modern Garage Band
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Is anybody else damn sick of hearing about them?

not me . i la la love the monkeys. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    them and the arcade fire, the fratellis, and the silversun pickups too.

im 2 for 4 wit you there. i dig the arcade fire and silversun pickups. they're worth listening to. i just heard the fratellis album though and it's nothing to write home about.
    that being said I would love you to show me a group of teenagers that create better music than the Arctic Monkeys.

one word: silverchair. ;)
  • iamsampjiamsampj Posts: 784
    i love the arctic monkeys...if only for their danceable, fun vibe :) it's good times, not something that i put too much thought into. maybe i'll take another listen and break down the dynamics of their last album ;) kidding.

looking forward to seeing them in a couple weeks!!
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.
    iamsampj wrote:
    i love the arctic monkeys...if only for their danceable, fun vibe :) it's good times, not something that i put too much thought into. maybe i'll take another listen and break down the dynamics of their last album ;) kidding.

looking forward to seeing them in a couple weeks!!

and they're inoffensive enough for my nearly 8 year old to be exposed to. them, the view and weezer. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • At least they're not out stealing hubcaps.
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    Thats the band with the singer that sounds like Liz Phair right?

I was thinking Billy Corgan, but you had the right state anyway
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
    one word: silverchair. ;)

God, you really love those guys, huh?

I thought you were saying that only the more recent stuff is good, not so much their earlier (teen yrs) stuff
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

Oh yeah, this is an Arctic Monkeys thread

I quite like em, but I felt the hype was undeserved and led me to resent them at first.

Brainofdz wrote:
    Oh yeah, this is an Arctic Monkeys thread

I quite like em, but I felt the hype was undeserved and led me to resent them at first.

and that's why the only voice and ears you trust are your own.
    don't believe the hype. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • iamsampjiamsampj Posts: 784
    and they're inoffensive enough for my nearly 8 year old to be exposed to. them, the view and weezer. :)

ohhh...weezer has always been good times from the beginning :D careful of the "hash pipe" song...i wouldn't want to explain that one ;)
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.
    iamsampj wrote:
    ohhh...weezer has always been good times from the beginning :D careful of the "hash pipe" song...i wouldn't want to explain that one ;)

it would not be a problem explainng hash pipe. tact and honesty is the best way to go. we're on weezer blue at the moment.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • mtildenmtilden Posts: 62
    Is anybody else damn sick of hearing about them? Its outrageous how a band with as little talent as them can get the hype and critical acclaim that they do. You know its bad times for the music industry when a band like them get as big as they do.

Whenever I hear them I can't help but think, "I'd rather be listening to Franz Ferdinand."
    "Go fuck yourself"
    -Dick Cheney

"Are you taking over or are you taking orders"
    -Joe Strummer 1952-2002

"All the war-propaganda, all the screaming and lies and hatred, comes invariably from people who are not fighting."
    -George Orwell
    mtilden wrote:
    Whenever I hear them I can't help but think, "I'd rather be listening to Franz Ferdinand."

say hello to mr kapranos for me. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    Brainofdz wrote:
    God, you really love those guys, huh?

I thought you were saying that only the more recent stuff is good, not so much their earlier (teen yrs) stuff

i like all their stuff, though their more recent stuff blows the old material away. nonetheless, their early stuff is damn good for a group of kids.
    i like all their stuff, though their more recent stuff blows the old material away. nonetheless, their early stuff is damn good for a group of kids.

that it is. that it is. their new stuff is too mature for me right now. maybe i'll get there. maybe i won't. but silverchair still rock in my humble unbiased australian opinion. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Can you spank an Arctic Monkey?
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • Is anybody else damn sick of hearing about them? Its outrageous how a band with as little talent as them can get the hype and critical acclaim that they do. You know its bad times for the music industry when a band like them get as big as they do.

Apparently these days if you play a bunch of noise and have a whiney singer, you're considered a great band. Personally, after about 3 songs in a row of Arctic Monkeys, I pretty much want to go blow my brains out. That would be my critical review of them.

"Well after the first 3 songs I went straight to my dirt nap so I can't review the entire album, but if the remaining 9 songs are as nauseating as the first 3 then hopefully the band members will all enjoy long lives so I won't have to listen to them here in hell for a long time."
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
    Can you spank an Arctic Monkey?

i'm sure you could.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand