The Arctic Monkeys are shit

Comments

• Alex_CoeAlex_Coe Posts: 762
    You're out of your mind if you think Arcade Fire are shit.

Hey man, different strokes. Okay?
  • I only dislike the hyped bands that are actually shit.

Someone really witty once said....."You can't polish a turd." I think that brilliant quote applies to this band.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • duggroduggro Posts: 1,343
    people just hate them because of the hype which is so unfair

their music is actually very good
    Dublin Leeds Berlin Wembley
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    duggro wrote:
    people just hate them because of the hype which is so unfair

their music is actually very good

I tried really hard to like them, listened to the first album four times through and it just got worse and worse with each listen. I will no longer subject myself to listening to that horseshit.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • The Redwalls...........the best band you have never heard

Yes!....The Redwalls are awesome. Totally underappreciated band.
    one foot in the door
    -The Replacements-
  • i like arctic monkeys better than pearl jam.
    This isn't the land of opportunity, it's the land of competition.
  • i like arctic monkeys better than pearl jam.

Well you're entitled to your opinion even though it's a terrible opinion.
    one foot in the door
    -The Replacements-
  • Well you're entitled to your opinion even though it's a terrible opinion.
    are you sure?

a band who really is terrible are The Killers and Nine inch nails oh and Fall Out Boys too

but this is something you can actually listen to with this hot hipster chick smoking a cigarette on austin downtown... it's so fucking cool.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30w8DyEJ__0
    This isn't the land of opportunity, it's the land of competition.
  • are you sure?

a band who really is terrible are The Killers and Nine inch nails oh and Fall Out Boys too

but this is something you can actually listen to with this hot hipster chick smoking a cigarette on austin downtown... it's so fucking cool.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30w8DyEJ__0

Yeah those bands all suck too, I agree just like the Arctic Monkeys.
    one foot in the door
    -The Replacements-
  • duggroduggro Posts: 1,343
    Well you're entitled to your opinion even though it's a terrible opinion.
    such a worthless statement
    Dublin Leeds Berlin Wembley
  • BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    Irony = Oasis fan criticising band for not having the talent to justify their hype
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Binaural wrote:
    Irony = Oasis fan criticising band for not having the talent to justify their hype

and exactly why does a band need to justify hype generated by the clueless media??
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    and exactly why does a band need to justify hype generated by the clueless media??
    Hype isn't generated by the media, the media perpetuates an already existing excitement. The Artic Monkeys had already created a big interest before the media really took hold of them. Bearing n mind I can't remember exactly how this started, anyone know? Was it a song or two released on the net?

Dublin 08/06
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Binaural wrote:
    Hype isn't generated by the media, the media perpetuates an already existing excitement. The Artic Monkeys had already created a big interest before the media really took hold of them. Bearing n mind I can't remember exactly how this started, anyone know? Was it a song or two released on the net?

They used to give away demo cd's at all there shows, which in turn ended up on the net and generated all the excitement, it was all very underground, as it grew the record companys and the press all started to catch chase and before you knew it they were the biggest band in Britain and they did'nt even have a cd on the shelves.:)
    Good band.

Oasis well said HLF, very similar in terms of hype at least here in Britain, their music = shit in terms of what is perceived about them, bunch of Beatles wannabes with bad attitude problems and few brain cells, still that's just my opinion.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
    Binaural wrote:

i stand corrected then. thanks binaural for that info. perhaps they were a myspace band. all i know is i didnt hear them on myspace or any part of the net.
    though i disagree with your statement about hype NOT being generated by the media. perhaps not with the monkeys there was media hype, but surely with other bands ive seen it.

my evidence for media generated hype: GRUNGE. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    They used to give away demo cd's at all there shows, which in turn ended up on the net and generated all the excitement, it was all very underground, as it grew the record companys and the press all started to catch chase and before you knew it they were the biggest band in Britain and they did'nt even have a cd on the shelves.:)
    Good band.

Oasis well said HLF, very similar in terms of hype at least here in Britain, their music = shit in terms of what is perceived about them, bunch of Beatles wannabes with bad attitude problems and few brain cells, still that's just my opinion.:)

See now thats something cool, Im not their biggest fan though I won't nessacerily change the station if they're on, but I definately think they've got their heads in the right place, they aren't exactly throwing themselves at the media with ams wide open and they've said so many times that they just wanna play music and the interviews/soundbites/advertising thing isn't what they wanna do which I think is cool. Which is where they differ from Oasis, I mean they talked to gossip columists on a regular basis about how shit Robie Williams was, among other things, which is pathetic.

Dublin 08/06
    i stand corrected then. thanks binaural for that info. perhaps they were a myspace band. all i know is i didnt hear them on myspace or any part of the net.
    though i disagree with your statement about hype NOT being generated by the media. perhaps not with the monkeys there was media hype, but surely with other bands ive seen it.

my evidence for media generated hype: GRUNGE. :)
    Though, those bands did generate their own hype (cause they fucking rocked, oh to see Alice live with Staley :D), the media simply amplified and perpetuated that hype, after of course grouping the bands under the user friendly label of 'grunge' :)

Dublin 08/06
    Binaural wrote:
    See now thats something cool, Im not their biggest fan though I won't nessacerily change the station if they're on, but I definately think they've got their heads in the right place, they aren't exactly throwing themselves at the media with ams wide open and they've said so many times that they just wanna play music and the interviews/soundbites/advertising thing isn't what they wanna do which I think is cool. Which is where they differ from Oasis, I mean they talked to gossip columists on a regular basis about how shit Robie Williams was, among other things, which is pathetic.

i recently read an interview with alex turner and john cooper clark. it gave me added respect for turner as a songwriter. and as a guy who has his head on straight in an industry where the pratheads like pete doherty get all the press for all the wrong reasons. and yes reefer that extends to oasis. and you know how i like those boys. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    Binaural wrote:

Well that's the thing Oasis for all I say they have few brain cells, manipulated the press and used it to keep themselves relevant, if you're always in the media, you're always in people's minds.
    Where would they be had they took the Pearl Jam approach I wonder?:)
  • Housing JimHousing Jim Posts: 644
    Please point out where in this thread that I called their lyrics "meaningless". I simply said they are nothing special at least not to what they are regarded as by critics. And as far as your Oasis hating goes, Oasis made two albums that often show up in peoples best of lists. For the most part, Oasis fans find all their albums consistent. Even the non-fan should just admit that Oasis have made incredibly catchy tunes full of great hooks whether they like them or not.

You're right.....I apologise for misquoting you.

However, in turn, you're jumping to a conclusion that I hate Oasis. Definitely Maybe is one of my favourite albums.

Myabe US fans find Oasis albums consistent but in the UK Be Here Now, Standing on the Shoulders of Giants and Heathen Chemistry are held in very low regard.

Aside from Definitely Maybe, I'd take either of Arctic Monkeys records over any of Oasis' offerings
    A democracy on paper, apparently well ordered, regularly subverted by irrational chaos.

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    New York City - 24/6/2008
    New York City - 25/6/2008 - we will be "what is up" New York
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018

Myabe US fans find Oasis albums consistent but in the UK Be Here Now, Standing on the Shoulders of Giants and Heathen Chemistry are held in very low regard.

They are Shit, the fact that they are still going after releasing that many bad albums in a row is nothing short of a miracle.
  • Even the non-fan should just admit that Oasis have made incredibly catchy tunes full of great hooks whether they like them or not.

That's ridiculous.

If non-fans admitted this, they would be fans, no? If all this was true, I would be a fan of Oasis. The fact is though that non-fans are non-fans because Oasis have made incredibly boring tunes full of non-existent hooks. Either fans of Oasis actually like that, or they're not really listening.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    one word: silverchair. ;)

Two words: Bubble Gum
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    That's ridiculous.

If non-fans admitted this, they would be fans, no? If all this was true, I would be a fan of Oasis. The fact is though that non-fans are non-fans because Oasis have made incredibly boring tunes full of non-existent hooks. Either fans of Oasis actually like that, or they're not really listening.

Made non-existent hooks? What is this a philosophy thread?

If a band plays in the UK does anyone really hear it?
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Danimal wrote:

LOL

Not if it's Pearl Jam.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Well that's the thing Oasis for all I say they have few brain cells, manipulated the press and used it to keep themselves relevant, if you're always in the media, you're always in people's minds.
    Where would they be had they took the Pearl Jam approach I wonder?:)

probably as unknown and washed up to the general population as pearl jam is.
    They are Shit, the fact that they are still going after releasing that many bad albums in a row is nothing short of a miracle.

3 in a row? pearl jam came dangerously close too then... binaural, riot act... there was a 7-8 year stretch where their albums SUCKED. even those bad oasis albums had more listenable tracks than pearl jam's did. there wasn't a song on either of those albums as fun as hindu times, dyou know what i mean, or gas panic. and no way would i take the arctic monkeys over definitely maybe, what's the story, or don't believe the truth. then again, i only heard the arctic monkeys first album. it was ok. not great, but ok. though i hear this new one is much better.
    Danimal wrote:

awesome :D
  • Housing JimHousing Jim Posts: 644
    3 in a row? pearl jam came dangerously close too then... binaural, riot act... there was a 7-8 year stretch where their albums SUCKED. even those bad oasis albums had more listenable tracks than pearl jam's did. there wasn't a song on either of those albums as fun as hindu times, dyou know what i mean, or gas panic. and no way would i take the arctic monkeys over definitely maybe, what's the story, or don't believe the truth. then again, i only heard the arctic monkeys first album. it was ok. not great, but ok. though i hear this new one is much better.

do you actually know which board you're posting on?
    A democracy on paper, apparently well ordered, regularly subverted by irrational chaos.

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    New York City - 24/6/2008
    New York City - 25/6/2008 - we will be "what is up" New York
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018
  • do you actually know which board you're posting on?

He's schizophrenic and so is he.
    one foot in the door
    -The Replacements-