The Arctic Monkeys are shit

Comments

• muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    They're very good. I bet a lot more people would appreciate their music more if the media didn't think they shit gold.
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    A shit band from a shit decade!!
  • Is anybody else damn sick of hearing about them? Its outrageous how a band with as little talent as them can get the hype and critical acclaim that they do. You know its bad times for the music industry when a band like them get as big as they do.

Not that I love the AM or anything (I like a few songs), but regardless, someone who has 'Oasis rule' in their sig has no right to complain that another average band 'get the hype and critical aclaim that they do'. AM are young kids; they deserve what they get. Oasis are now a bunch of midlife crisis-stricken, early Brit Pop representatives who should have packed up their guitars and their egos years ago (about the same time as the childish game of 'Pogs'), and haven't had a new musical idea since their sophomore album.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    Not that I love the AM or anything (I like a few songs), but regardless, someone who has 'Oasis rule' in their sig has no right to complain that another average band 'get the hype and critical aclaim that they do'. AM are young kids; they deserve what they get. Oasis are now a bunch of midlife crisis-stricken, early Brit Pop representatives who should have packed up their guitars and their egos years ago (along with the childish phenomenon of 'Pogs'), and haven't had a new musical idea since their sophomore album.
    Oh fuck you've no idea what you've done, I tried to make this point and it turned into a giant pissing contest :rolleyes: That said, I agree.
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
  • Housing JimHousing Jim Posts: 644
    Not that I love the AM or anything (I like a few songs), but regardless, someone who has 'Oasis rule' in their sig has no right to complain that another average band 'get the hype and critical aclaim that they do'. AM are young kids; they deserve what they get. Oasis are now a bunch of midlife crisis-stricken, early Brit Pop representatives who should have packed up their guitars and their egos years ago (about the same time as the childish game of 'Pogs'), and haven't had a new musical idea since their sophomore album.

Nail....hit....on.....head.

Earlier in this thread pjoasisrule makes a comment about the Arctic Monkeys having meaningless lyrics. I suppose he regards Noel Gallagher as Shakespeare or summat then :rolleyes:

Ironically, the Arctic Monkeys are in very much the same position that Oasis were 12 years ago. A critically acclaimed second album following a huge debut which is set to see them reach popularity levels similar to Oasis in the mid 90s.
    A democracy on paper, apparently well ordered, regularly subverted by irrational chaos.

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    New York City - 24/6/2008
    New York City - 25/6/2008 - we will be "what is up" New York
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    I can't stand the Arctic Monkeys. That is all.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Edit: Double Post.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • biffy clyrobiffy clyro Posts: 148
    You daft yanks are too dumb to appreciate them.
  • Matty Boy wrote:
    A shit band from a shit decade!!
    True. British music really has hit a new low. Americans can't understand how irritating it is for British people with good tastes in music to have one of the worst bands of all time acting as their representatives for the British scene. Shockingly, depressingly awful band. But still better than a lot of their counterparts (i.e. The Kooks, The View, The Cribs etc.). Don't get me started on them, with their even-more irritating accents.
  • biffy clyrobiffy clyro Posts: 148
    True. British music really has hit a new low. Americans can't understand how irritating it is for British people with good tastes in music to have one of the worst bands of all time acting as their representatives for the British scene. Shockingly, depressingly awful band. But still better than a lot of their counterparts (i.e. The Kooks, The View, The Cribs etc.). Don't get me started on them, with their even-more irritating accents.

Fuck off ya wee wank,a can only imagine whit your middle class accent would do to ma head.

You like rage against the machine so you automatically qualify as a twat
  • them and the arcade fire, the fratellis, and the silversun pickups too.

You're out of your mind if you think Arcade Fire are shit.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    Is anybody else damn sick of hearing about them? Its outrageous how a band with as little talent as them can get the hype and critical acclaim that they do. You know its bad times for the music industry when a band like them get as big as they do.
    I really like them :)
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
  • jammerfalljammerfall Posts: 908
    muppet wrote:
    They're very good. I bet a lot more people would appreciate their music more if the media didn't think they shit gold.

Yep.
    "Hello Oregonians. Hello Washingtonians. Hello Portland..where the fuck are we? We're in Ridgefield!"
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202

this only works if the original poster is from the UK. oasis gets no hype or critical acclaim over here. the only oasis song the average american has EVER heard is wonderwall. they haven't had a single other hit. so they are not a hype band over here, they practically don't exist. that said, i imagine if i lived over there, the hype on oasis would annoy the shit out of me too.

as to artic monkeys, im curious about this album. it's getting some seriously positive press and i didn't mind the first album. it wasn't great, but it was kinda fun. i may pick it up this week. i like the kooks. i dont like the fratellis.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Nail....hit....on.....head.

Earlier in this thread pjoasisrule makes a comment about the Arctic Monkeys having meaningless lyrics. I suppose he regards Noel Gallagher as Shakespeare or summat then :rolleyes:

Ironically, the Arctic Monkeys are in very much the same position that Oasis were 12 years ago. A critically acclaimed second album following a huge debut which is set to see them reach popularity levels similar to Oasis in the mid 90s.

Please point out where in this thread that I called their lyrics "meaningless". I simply said they are nothing special at least not to what they are regarded as by critics. And as far as your Oasis hating goes, Oasis made two albums that often show up in peoples best of lists. For the most part, Oasis fans find all their albums consistent. Even the non-fan should just admit that Oasis have made incredibly catchy tunes full of great hooks whether they like them or not.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
    this only works if the original poster is from the UK. oasis gets no hype or critical acclaim over here. the only oasis song the average american has EVER heard is wonderwall. they haven't had a single other hit. so they are not a hype band over here, they practically don't exist. that said, i imagine if i lived over there, the hype on oasis would annoy the shit out of me too.

as to artic monkeys, im curious about this album. it's getting some seriously positive press and i didn't mind the first album. it wasn't great, but it was kinda fun. i may pick it up this week. i like the kooks. i dont like the fratellis.

Champagne Supernova is another song that most average Americans would know
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• macgyver06macgyver06 Posts: 2,500
    Is anybody else damn sick of hearing about them? Its outrageous how a band with as little talent as them can get the hype and critical acclaim that they do. You know its bad times for the music industry when a band like them get as big as they do.

im starting to realize the Best Music doesnt get played. It has to be found :)

examples:

Dredg
    macgyver06 wrote:
    im starting to realize the Best Music doesnt get played. It has to be found :)

examples:

Dredg

The Redwalls...........the best band you have never heard
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

Champagne Supernova is another song that most average Americans would know

there are a smattering of songs some americans might recognize, but let's face it, the only oasis song widely known in america is wonderwall. they've been having charting singles in the UK non-stop for over 10 years. the hype over there is ridiculous... they're undoubtedly as annoying to brits as u2 is to most americans.
    there are a smattering of songs some americans might recognize, but let's face it, the only oasis song widely known in america is wonderwall. they've been having charting singles in the UK non-stop for over 10 years. the hype over there is ridiculous... they're undoubtedly as annoying to brits as u2 is to most americans.

I have yet to meet an American annoyed by U2
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

you've got to be kidding. but in any case, pick your annoying hype band... fall out boy or mcr. this happens over here too. a band gets blown up by the press and there is always a backlash. it's why you hate the artic monkeys. and it's why many brits hate oasis.
  • Fuck off ya wee wank,a can only imagine whit your middle class accent would do to ma head.

You like rage against the machine so you automatically qualify as a twat
    You're missing my point. I don't mind their speaking, I just don't understand why they feel the need to sing with an accent. And thanks for judging me without knowing me; someone takes the internet a bit too seriously, ya fiery Scot! ;)
    You're missing my point. I don't mind their speaking, I just don't understand why they feel the need to sing with an accent. And thanks for judging me without knowing me; someone takes the internet a bit too seriously, ya fiery Scot! ;)

if you speak with an accent why wouldn't you sing with it too? that doesn't make sense.

on that note, i like interpol but it annoys me that they have a fake british accent... they're all from new york!
    you've got to be kidding. but in any case, pick your annoying hype band... fall out boy or mcr. this happens over here too. a band gets blown up by the press and there is always a backlash. it's why you hate the artic monkeys. and it's why many brits hate oasis.

I only dislike the hyped bands that are actually shit.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• if you speak with an accent why wouldn't you sing with it too? that doesn't make sense.

on that note, i like interpol but it annoys me that they have a fake british accent... they're all from new york!
    Well most singers don't really sing with any accent, or at least they don't try to accentuate that accent more when singing. I have a Scottish friend who is a fantastic singer but she doesn't sing with an accent, she just sorta sings. Like when you hear Robert Plant sing, you wouldn't expect him to speak how he does, I was quite shocked to hear this upper-class British tone coming out of him! Anyway, I know a lot of people love this new indie music and I'll leave it for them; I just find it odd that practically a whole genre seems to have been made by singers prominently emphasising their accents. It's one of the ways that all the bands can be grouped.
  • sj.brodiesj.brodie Posts: 468

Couldn't agree more, theyre talentless and mediocre but that's pretty much the only requirement of todays music industry. Look at other bands as well as them that will be completelly forgotten about in a few years - the killers, the automatic, the view, the editors. They're all spritless and boring. It fucking depresses me.
    Well most singers don't really sing with any accent, or at least they don't try to accentuate that accent more when singing. I have a Scottish friend who is a fantastic singer but she doesn't sing with an accent, she just sorta sings. Like when you hear Robert Plant sing, you wouldn't expect him to speak how he does, I was quite shocked to hear this upper-class British tone coming out of him! Anyway, I know a lot of people love this new indie music and I'll leave it for them; I just find it odd that practically a whole genre seems to have been made by singers prominently emphasising their accents. It's one of the ways that all the bands can be grouped.

i suppose. i always found it weird that i cannot understand a word liam gallagher has ever said, but when he sings his lyrics are crystal clear and put ed's mumbles to shame in the "i can actually understand what the fuck is being sung" department :)

though maybe it's an influences thing. i can hear the accents in the sex pistols or the clash. could be a stylistic choice. what do i know? some of it i can stand (like i said, i enjoy the kooks album) but sometimes it does grate on me (arctic monkeys' first album, libertines, fratellis) and become annoying.
    I only dislike the hyped bands that are actually shit.

that's my point though... it's only super annoying becos of the hype backlash. bands like creed and limp bizkit probly don't annoy you as much becos you never read about how great they are. even the arcade fire, i think they're enormously over-hyped, but it doesn't really phase me cos i rather like them. so i've tried not to let hype get in the way of a good album for me. it's kinda hard sometimes though ;)

i haven't heard the new AM album. their first one seemed pretty mediocre to me.
  • I have yet to meet an American annoyed by U2
    hi, nice to meet you.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • Alex_CoeAlex_Coe Posts: 762

Aha! I figured out the riddle.

oasisrule does not live in America, thus he has never met an American.

That can be the only explanation. I get a cookie for being brilliant.

*munchmunchmunch*