Options

Kanye West blaming Pearl Jam..

1235»

Comments

• Options
    I wondered how he was still playing at 4:30 AM when I though I woke up for a minute... turns out he actually STARTED when I woke up. Pearl Jam was amazing... epic set for sure. As far as Kayne West goes, there was no fucking reason for him to be there in the first place. Pearl Jam and Metallica were as good as it gets though.

Damn straight. Two legend bands up there and both were incredible. Here the festival makes rearrangements for his dumb ass glow in the dark show and they made sure everyone knew about the change in time. It was posted everywhere I turned around, and he acted like a selfish prick from what I am gathering from all who stayed to watch him. I left after PJ and I am glad I did. West sounds like a major dick.
    My first PJ show to witness was at Bonnaroo. How is that for lucky?
  • Options
    ArtMarsArtMars Posts: 109
    Kanye West is an ego-maniac anyways! I imagine he was having a temper tantrum backstage! I mean, isn't he the guy that wined about not winning a best new artist grammy award a few years back?
  • Options
    that's pretty weak...but exactly what I'd expect from West.

I don't get why Kanye West was a headlining act at Bonnaroo anyway. I have no problem with rap or rappers performing at festivals where the other acts are predominantly rock bands. but headlining what used to be a just a jam-band festival over the likes Phil Lesh and Les Claypool? At a rock festival like this, rappers should be headlining side-stages or playing early in the afternoon on the main-stages. but Kanye is such a freakin' awesome huge star that the Bonnaroo organizers probably felt that he would get new fans to turn out to Bonnaroo. yeah right, Kanye West can get people to turn out for a Vibe Magazine anniversary show. People were went to Bonnaroo to see Pearl Jam, Metallica, The Raconteurs, MMJ, Widespread Panic, Robert Plant & Alison Krauss, Sigur Rós etc...not Kanye West. His set should have been in the middle of the day on Friday instead of the festival making special accommodations for him so his stage can glow in the dark.

Even if you don't like Kanye he was clearly a headliner. All of those other bands and artists you mentioned did go on at night so its not like they were bumped for Kanye. His time was perfect for him: 3AM mainstage. It could have been a giant fucking party from 3 to 5 AM following the EPIC PJ show but he blew it.

I like Kanye but I would never see him at a festival because his Diva nature can get the better of him.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,733
    Even if you don't like Kanye he was clearly a headliner.

yeah I know that. I said that he should be a headliner at a rock festival.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    PrlJmr10PrlJmr10 Posts: 130
    DPrival78 wrote:
    west: "pearl jam doesn't like black people"

wow...how ridiculous.

maybe pearl jam just doesn't like shitty music :)

content...not color...

kanye is just a big baby.
    PEARL JAM - It's what's for breakfast

"Promise only what you can deliver. Then deliver more than you promise."
    --Anonymous

The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them. -Patrick Henry, revolutionary (1736-1799)
  • Options
    PrlJmr10PrlJmr10 Posts: 130
    Jellyrolls wrote:
    I wouldn't go that far. His glow in the dark show is one of the more amazing spectacles I have seen at a concert.

spectacle...not spectacular...big difference.
    PEARL JAM - It's what's for breakfast

"Promise only what you can deliver. Then deliver more than you promise."
    --Anonymous

The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them. -Patrick Henry, revolutionary (1736-1799)
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    if you cant go on your talent, then well, sorry to hear it.

if your set relies upon darkness and a glow in the dark suit,

then again sorry to hear it.

gimmick.

lets say if jam master J never got shot , and it was run - dmc out there onstage , or on the bill

they wouldve rolled with the punches and rocked the crowd (that was still there) well until after sunup -
    their big fat laces and adidas sneakers and all,...
    they would rely on their talent and skills and abilities to enhance whatever crowd they are / were playing to,..

this has gimick and passing fad written all over it .
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    PrlJmr10 wrote:
    wow...how ridiculous.

maybe pearl jam just doesn't like shitty music :)

content...not color...

kanye is just a big baby.

you must have missed the post where that made-up Kanye quote was a message pit joke ...
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    tough shit IMHO
  • Options
    If Kayne west was playing in my backyard, I wouldn't bother to open the door and look. He doesn't deserve to play on the same stage as PJ.
  • Options
    digsterdigster Posts: 1,293
    that's pretty weak...but exactly what I'd expect from West.

I don't get why Kanye West was a headlining act at Bonnaroo anyway. I have no problem with rap or rappers performing at festivals where the other acts are predominantly rock bands. but headlining what used to be a just a jam-band festival over the likes Phil Lesh and Les Claypool? At a rock festival like this, rappers should be headlining side-stages or playing early in the afternoon on the main-stages. but Kanye is such a freakin' awesome huge star that the Bonnaroo organizers probably felt that he would get new fans to turn out to Bonnaroo. yeah right, Kanye West can get people to turn out for a Vibe Magazine anniversary show. People were went to Bonnaroo to see Pearl Jam, Metallica, The Raconteurs, MMJ, Widespread Panic, Robert Plant & Alison Krauss, Sigur Rós etc...not Kanye West. His set should have been in the middle of the day on Friday instead of the festival making special accommodations for him so his stage can glow in the dark.

None of what I'm saying should be considered a defense of Kanye, because I think he's a pretty terrible rapper myself (albeit a good producer, and Jesus Walks is still a pretty powerful song). But he should certainly be headlining, and has as much right to as any of the headliners when compared to his cultural power / popularity. Why should rappers be playing on the side stages if they have just as much or more drawing power than the headliners? Especially with Bonnaroo, which prides itself on a diverse lineup and being as open-minded as possible, it seems very close-minded to say that rappers should take the side stage. They earned their popularity as much as any rock band (of course, there's also a pretty big problem with saying that the rap artists - who are primarily black - should be secondary to the white artists - primarily white - in stature and billing, despite whatever popularity there is. However, I do realize there was nothing racial in what you were saying, but it's an important point nonetheless). Music festivals like this are meant to be diversified, not segregated by genre. Who cares if Phil Lesh headlined three years ago? A rapper the stature of Kanye earned the headlining gig.

That said, I wish he had the talent to back up the spot he was given. Even so, I used to think along with many of my fellow rock fans, that rappers shouldn't be at these kinds of festivals because DJing, sampling, and rhyming is not 'real music' compared to the guitars and drums of rock and roll. I realized that this was a pretty prejudicial notion, but I think it's still apparent in alot of fans at these festivals. If a rapper is pouring his soul like Eddie Vedder does with a voice and guitar (as many rappers do night after night) they have as much of a right to headline as anyone.

That said, Kanye still sucks. Badly.
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    Kanye had a right to be a headliner but lost that real quick with what he did at the Roo and couldnt even man up and take responsibility for showing up an hour later, EVEN AFTER his backdrop was all put together and ready to go

dont blame Pearl Jam
  • Options
    i'm not buying that it was PJ's fault. i think PJ might have delayed him a little, then Kanye started pouting and decided to make everyone pay by delaying for a lot longer.
  • Options
    kanye west is a fat pussy

8/25/00NY, 9/1/00NJ, 4/30/03NY, 7/2&3/03MSG, 7/14/03NJ, 10/13/04 EdW/Boss, 9/24&25/05 St Johns, 5/13/06CT, 5/27&28/06NJ, 6/1/06NJ, 6/3/06NJ, 6/24/06 OH, 7/15-16/06CA, Lolla07, DC, MSGx2, MA1, ED SOLO NYC1&2!
  • Options
    Strangest TribeStrangest Tribe Posts: 2,502
    One of the facts not mentioned here also was that Kanye was originally scheduled to be on Which stage. The second main stage.

Pearl Jam was performing on What stage. The largest stage at Bonnaroo.

One of the security guards told me that Kanye's set was too heavy to be on the Which stage and they asked to be relocated to the larger What stage and to the time slot following Pearl Jam. They (security guards) said that even the move to the larger stage still presented problems with weight issues and they had to weld supports underneath the stage and eliminate some of the props to "lighten" the load on the stage. Then safety staff had to be called to assure the stage would bear the load of Kanye's set. That's why everything took so long. So I was told.

However, that being said...if West truly had some stones he could have addressed the issue to the 20-30K people waiting to see his show.

At least say ...Hey folks thanks for being patient, sorry for the delay etc....

I was there. It was damp, it was cold.... and to top it all off........the sun was starting to rise.....so much for "glow in the dark"

but it was kinda neat...I'm not a big fan of rap but you could tell the man had put a lot of thought into the concept.
    the Minions
  • Options
    JellyrollsJellyrolls Posts: 523
    Kanye has done what he is good at. He has gotten a lot of Pearl Jam fans to talking about him for 10 pages on a PEARL JAM board. He gets all this attention because people are mad at HIM because of a band that played during the time that he was supposed to go on? Congrats Mr. West, you are very popular around these parts!
  • Options
    LizardkingLizardking Posts: 936
    Guy has ego bigger than his album sales will ever be. Who the Fuck tries going on at 4:45 in the morning?

Don't worry he won't be around for many more years, well maybe on a VH-1 Where are they now?
    Lizardking

http://www.myspace.com/lizardkings1

(This Post May Have Been Edited By AT&T)
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Jellyrolls wrote:
    Kanye has done what he is good at. He has gotten a lot of Pearl Jam fans to talking about him for 10 pages on a PEARL JAM board. !

10 pages ?

i'm only on 4 1/2 ( you might want to adjust your control panel ) and I think Canye had little to do with this thread- whatsoever.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    GraySaturdayGraySaturday Posts: 2,878
    I was in the front row at 2:15am for Kanye because I dared my husband that he wouldn't stand in the front row of a Kanye show. (Not that I would either) so we walked up to the front because he hardly had any there at that point, and we waited and waited and waited, and no one told us anything. The stage hands were all standing around doing nothing. NOTHING AT ALL. They weren't setting up the stage anymore, they were taking pictures of each other on the stage. One came over and tried to get us all to do the wave. It was so annoying. When they started to announce the times being later and later on the huge screens we finally walked away and went back to camp. Everyone was leaving when we left. It was like 3:45 at that point.

Needless to say I woke up in a daze at 5:30am with "Stronger" blaring in my ears and all confused because it was light out. So much for glow in the dark.

Its sad that people still waited for him. He doesn't deserve an audience if thats how he is going to treat them. Poor people skills doesn't pay the bills in the long run.
  • Options
    JellyrollsJellyrolls Posts: 523
    Lizardking wrote:

Don't worry he won't be around for many more years, well maybe on a VH-1 Where are they now?

I agree! He has put out three albums that absolutely no one bought! Nobody ever shows up to his shows or any of that.
  • Options
    PJSEMPREPJSEMPRE Posts: 687
    Pearl Jam is 1.000.000.000.000.000.000 times better than this guy.
    We don't need to care. He is just trying to create a polemic.
    Let's say knowledge is a tree, yeah.
    It's growing up just like me.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,956
    remembered seeing kanye west open for rolling stones. along with alice cooper & sloan here in halifax last year or so. at the halifax commons.

'the people' in the back who seat at those wide long tables, deciding who should tour with what bands, need to stop smoking, put their cheap ass drinks down, and start washing their faces and get their act straight.

who ever thought of the idea 'say, let's have kayne west, open for one of the greatest rock n' roll bands in the history' was smart, they need to be dragged on the street and shot. imo.
  • Options
    poncabareponcabare Posts: 10
    Kanye makes me wanna join the KKK
    I've seen enough shows to know I like them...
  • Options
    in_hiding79in_hiding79 Posts: 4,315
    Kanye SUCKS! Kanye SUCKS!!
    Love it. Whats he doing there anyway?

He is such a whiney little ass!!! I hate his music and he has a very bad attitude! What a joke....
    And so the lion fell in love with the lamb...,"
    "What a stupid lamb."
    "What a sick, masochistic lion."
  • Options
    in_hiding79in_hiding79 Posts: 4,315
    poncabare wrote:
    Kanye makes me wanna join the KKK

:eek:

WOW, he does suck then...
    And so the lion fell in love with the lamb...,"
    "What a stupid lamb."
    "What a sick, masochistic lion."
  • Options
    shell bellshell bell Posts: 337
    this isn't the first time he's kept people waiting.He did it in Reno too. Several friends went to the show and he kept the crowd waiting for 2 hrs.
    when you get confused just listen to the music play........

"You damn well can't lick the system,but you can sure give it a good fondeling."-sleazy estate man(Hugh Laurie on A bit of Fry and Laurie)

"Judas Priest on a two stroke moped!"(Stephen Fry)