Who has the best taste in music in this section?

Comments

• Odin wrote:
    Energy? HA!!! You need to get out more.

If Sevendust ever does a Canadian tour and plays in London, you should go and see what a REAL energetic show looks like.

I don't care for their music. I wouldn't spend money to see them, so unless you are taking me... it's not ever going to happen.

Is it the tempo of music that makes for an energetic show? Or are you talking about audience interaction and some entertaining dancing? Because, I can't see Sevendust being very interactive.
    Odin wrote:
    Now if I were to make a post like this, half the board would jump all over me for it. From the Decembrists songs I heard, their music is the soundtrack to a coma.

I like being jumped on. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.
    Cock Fight.
  • OdinOdin Posts: 599
    Tek Money wrote:
    I don't care for their music. I wouldn't spend money to see them, so unless you are taking me... it's not ever going to happen.

Is it the tempo of music that makes for an energetic show? Or are you talking about audience interaction and some entertaining dancing? Because, I can't see Sevendust being very interactive.

It's the entire package: stage presence, interaction with the crowd, atmosphere (the pits are intense), consistency... While Sevendust isn't the most talented band in the world, their concerts are lively. I see them every time they come around my area.

The Decembrists concert was a snoozefest. If I wanted to sit through a bunch of dull tunes for a couple hours, I'd stand in an elevator.
    I like being jumped on.

So do I... but only when it's done by a group of sexy young ladies, not by a group of condescending elitists on the Pearl Jam forum.
  • Odin wrote:
    It's the entire package: stage presence, interaction with the crowd, atmosphere (the pits are intense), consistency... While Sevendust isn't the most talented band in the world, their concerts are lively. I see them every time they come around my area.

The Decembrists concert was a snoozefest. If I wanted to sit through a bunch of dull tunes for a couple hours, I'd stand in an elevator.

So do I... but only when it's done by a group of sexy young ladies, not by a group of condescending elitists on the Pearl Jam forum.

You assume that I am not a sexy young lady...

I don't do mosh pits. I am 5'2. And, I would get killed.

I think you need to give them a second chance. Everyone deserves a second chance.
    Cock Fight.
    Tek Money wrote:
    You assume that I am not a sexy young lady...

"Tek Money" doesn't sound like a moniker that a sexy young lady would use.
    I don't do mosh pits. I am 5'2. And, I would get killed.

Fair enough. You can watch the drunken knuckleheads like myself go at it from a distance... which to me is more entertaining than clapping along to a folksy song.
    I think you need to give them a second chance. Everyone deserves a second chance.

As soon as you give a metal concert a first chance. It doesn't have to be any band in particular.
  • Odin wrote:
    "Tek Money" doesn't sound like a moniker that a sexy young lady would use.

Fair enough. You can watch the drunken knuckleheads like myself go at it from a distance... which to me is more entertaining than clapping along to a folksy song.

As soon as you give a metal concert a first chance. It doesn't have to be any band in particular.

Things aren't always what they seem.

I have seen NIN and Tool a few times each. Does that count as metal? I was also in the mosh pit at Woodstock 99. It almost killed me. I'm not totally oblivious to harder music.
    Cock Fight.
  • btb002btb002 Posts: 183
    The only thing about this thread that's redeeming is the creator hasn't listed any of these bands as his favorites:

The Shins
    Of Montreal
    Panda Bear
    Neutral Milk Hotel
    Arctic Monkeys
    Bright Eyes

And another question. Aren't all music elitist suppose to LOVE Pavement's Slanted and Enchanted? Because if you don't like that album, your musical taste is crap. Or so says every leading publication in the last 17 years. Personally, I think all people high on their musical taste is just jaded they can't be Rob Sheffield.
    You are just a negative mindless pud.
    Tek Money wrote:
    I have seen NIN and Tool a few times each. Does that count as metal?

On this board, maybe. But if you were to list those bands as "metal" elsewhere, you'd get laughed off the Internet!
    I was also in the mosh pit at Woodstock 99. It almost killed me. I'm not totally oblivious to harder music.

Did you get to see Metallica, Megadeth, Rage, Sevendust or Godsmack?
    btb002 wrote:
    The only thing about this thread that's redeeming is the creator hasn't listed any of these bands as his favorites:

The Shins
    Of Montreal
    Panda Bear
    Neutral Milk Hotel
    Arctic Monkeys
    Bright Eyes

<barf>

Actually, Arctic Monkeys is somewhat tolerable.
  • iamsampjiamsampj Posts: 784
    PJGARDEN wrote:
    Is anyone else amazed this thread has gone on for 6 pages. What's worse is I read them all.
    me too. musical taste is a subjective thing...i like what i like. i've received some compliments from it...and i'm always flattered :) life's too short to listen to shitty music!
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.
  • iamsampj wrote:
    me too. musical taste is a subjective thing...i like what i like. i've received some compliments from it...and i'm always flattered :) life's too short to listen to shitty music!

I like your taste in music as well. Can be a little out there at times, but that's what makes it good. :D
    NERDS!
    Is anyone else amazed this thread has gone on for 6 pages. What's worse is I read them all.

I'm done for the night.

I see that Jack Bauer is browsing this section. Should he kill this thread once and for all?
    I like your taste in music as well. Can be a little out there at times, but that's what makes it good. :D
    out there??! it's the animal collective isn't it? maybe all of the dancing around to tokyo police club and flosstradamus remixes of matt & kim in my skinny jeans is altering my judgement? or is urban warping my brain too much ;)

kidding...thanks!! and i've learned to like a bit of hip hop in the process of my musical adventure...el-p receives some frequent air time at work.

and your choices in music are amazing as well....as pointed out in the first post :)
  • iamsampj wrote:
    out there??! it's the animal collective isn't it? maybe all of the dancing around to tokyo police club and flosstradamus remixes of matt & kim in my skinny jeans is altering my judgement? or is urban warping my brain too much ;)

kidding...thanks!! and i've learned to like a bit of hip hop in the process of my musical adventure...el-p receives some frequent air time at work.

and your choices in music are amazing as well....as pointed out in the first post :)

You're right. It's the jeans :D
    NERDS!
  • Odin wrote:
    On this board, maybe. But if you were to list those bands as "metal" elsewhere, you'd get laughed off the Internet!

Did you get to see Metallica, Megadeth, Rage, Sevendust or Godsmack?

I saw Metallica, Rage, and Godsmack.
    Cock Fight.
    You're right. It's the jeans :D
    i thought so...i'm going to give the high-waisted jeans a try instead. cause nothing says urbanindiehipster cool like modified mom jeans ;)
  • iamsampj wrote:
    i thought so...i'm going to give the high-waisted jeans a try instead. cause nothing says urbanindiehipster cool like modified mom jeans ;)
    Mommy
    NERDS!
    :D

yeah...kinda like that, only skinny too and way cooler. i guess that would only amplify my musical problem then....hmmm. well...looks like my taste in music is here to stay!
  • These are some of my favorite bands, take it however you want: Pearl Jam, NIN, Clutch, Zeppelin, Floyd, Blind Melon, Modest Mouse, QOTSA, Boy Hits Car, The Who.
  • It's Glasshouse. (Talking Heads, Nick Cave, Faith No More...)
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Odin wrote:
    The Sword, ..

New sword will be out spring i think or early summer. It has evidently leaked but i've not heard it. I'm not big on getting the leak i like to wait til it comes out. Reviews i saw were a little mixed.

I'm sure it will be good though. That first album was great. A little too sabbathy for their own good but enough moxy to pull it off.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    New sword will be out spring i think or early summer. It has evidently leaked but i've not heard it. I'm not big on getting the leak i like to wait til it comes out. Reviews i saw were a little mixed.

I'm sure it will be good though. That first album was great. A little too sabbathy for their own good but enough moxy to pull it off.

Age of Winters was a remarkable debut album and I sense The Sword will evolve as artists on their follow-up. They did play some new material on their most recent tour and it sounded tight.

I also know what you mean about not listening to leaked material. It's hard to do these days, but I try to stay true to my "old school" ways. Hearing the entire album (or a good portion of it) prior to the official release date ruins the listening experience for me, and a lot of times the artists will change their tracklistings in an effort to combat leaking.
  • pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
    Can taste be rated?!
    Cymru Am Byth

PJ albums, at the moment!! -
    1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    pirlo21 wrote:
    Can taste be rated?!

mild cheddar = 1
    mature stilton = 5

so yes, it would appear so ;)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • dunkman wrote:
    mild cheddar = 1
    mature stilton = 5

In descending or ascending order?
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    These are some of my favorite bands, take it however you want: Pearl Jam, NIN, Clutch, Zeppelin, Floyd, Blind Melon, Modest Mouse, QOTSA, Boy Hits Car, The Who.

i have never seen or heard anyone else that likes Boy Hits Car...

that's cool.

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • markymark550 has the best taste in music ever

;):D:p
  • I firmly believe that I have impeccable taste in music. really, I'm not being sarcastic.
  • PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    Honestly I think everyone on this board thinks they have great taste in music. Not in a music snob kinda way....just more confidence in what they like.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Odin wrote:
    Milligram is one helluva band. Thanks for the recommendation, Matt!
    Milligram rules. i made it a date w/ myself to listen to their final record This Is Class War tonight. you can download just about everything Milligram ever recorded at http://www.traktor7.com it's Jonah's (singer) label. also check out another of his old bands, Miltown. could of been as big as the Foo Fighters (they sound nothing like FF) but much better. also check out his first band Only Living Witness at http://www.myspace.com/olw hard rock/metal that could of been the East Coast's answer to grunge in the early 90s. PM me w/ any questions.
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    You're so lucky. I never got to see them. I will be seeing A Silver Mt Zion soon though so that is some consolation, if not much :)

Words cannot express how Lift yr skinny fists makes me feel.

if you haven't already you should check out Set Fire To Flames - Sings Reign Rebuilder.......great album with a GSYBE vibe to it

from Wikipedia:

Set Fire to Flames is a post-rock band of thirteen musicians from Montreal, Canada, who have released two albums on Alien8 Recordings, FatCat Records.

Both albums were recorded "in states of little or no sleep, in varying levels of intoxication, and in physical confinement", with the result being brooding, eerie music. Their second album was recorded in a barn in rural Ontario; the sounds of the creaking doors and other background noise are heard in the songs.

Many of their tracks are very minimalist in nature, filled with ambient noise and various other non-musical sound effects, juxtaposed or combined with instrumental music.

The band is often considered a side-project of Godspeed You! Black Emperor, and the two musical ensembles share several members
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!