Who has the best taste in music in this section?

Comments

• OdinOdin Posts: 599
    this thread sucks

then why did you respond?
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    Odin wrote:
    LOL... all of Todd's favourite bands combined couldn't match the intensity of Neurosis, a band that could move continents...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM7laabfVlw

Guess we all look for different things in our music.....personally I found that painful and unlistenable.

And its not that i am against heavy music......i'm a fan of Fantomas, Estradasphere (look up "The Return" off "Palace Of Mirrors" if you want to move continents), Melt Banana, Tool, Tomahawk, Mogwai, Ministry, Faith No More, Explosions In The Sky, Russian Circles, System Of A Down, Dillinger Escape Plan, Mr Bungle
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
    Todd76 wrote:
    Guess we all look for different things in our music.....personally I found that painful and unlistenable.

And its not that i am against heavy music......i'm a fan of Fantomas, Estradasphere (look up "The Return" off "Palace Of Mirrors" if you want to move continents), Melt Banana, Tool, Tomahawk, Mogwai, Ministry, Faith No More, Explosions In The Sky, Russian Circles, System Of A Down, Dillinger Escape Plan, Mr Bungle

Other than Tool and Faith No More, I can't stand any of those bands you listed. SOAD especially blows.
    And if Explosions in the Sky is "heavy" to you, then you really need to expand your horizons. They're as soft as a bedtime lullaby!
    Odin wrote:
    SOAD especially blows.

Yeah......they are scraping the bottom of my musical barrel - I was just trying to look hardcore for you ;)
    Todd76 wrote:
    Yeah......they are scraping the bottom of my musical barrel - I was just trying to look hardcore for you ;)

I was getting scared there for a moment. :)

I used to post on SOAD's BBS in 2004-05 with my SonyMusic account (used it primarily for Nas' and RATM's forums) and ridicule them for their incredibly poor taste in rock music.
    Odin wrote:
    And if Explosions in the Sky is "heavy" to you, then you really need to expand your horizons. They're as soft as a bedtime lullaby!

come on now.....they definitely have their intense moments - sorry they dont feature any of those fantastic guttaral "vocals" necessary to qualify them as "heavy"
    It's not just the vocals but also the instrumentation. Even a lot of the bands that I listen to aren't nearly as heavy as some of the bands that get mentioned on forums such as ozzfest.com and ultimate-guitar.com... but they're still way heavier than Explosions in the Sky.
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    I listened to Pearl Jam first.
    I liked Pearl Jam before any of you.
    Followers!!
  • ajedigeckoajedigecko Posts: 2,430
    i like; winger, cinderella, stryper, quiet riot, def leppard, warrant, poison,......yeah i am a music snob.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    Not a music snob myself but some of the snobs on this board have turned me on to some really great music:) Thanks music snobs!!!!
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    hey, thanks man for including me in your list!! there's a lot of trash talking here, and some of it justified, but whatever!! i'm just glad to be included on Odin's list!
  • Odin wrote:
    heavier than Explosions in the Sky.

It depands on your defination of heavy. I know quite a lot of people who think Explosions is too heavy. It isn't very loud, but it is very intense. For me it is perfect music to have in the background while I read or talk or just to lay on the couch and dream away. For others it is way harder to listen to than Pantera. I guess it al dpands on what you are use to and what set of ears you have.

Anyway I'd like to thank both of you because you triggered me to play Explosions.:D
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
    It depands on your defination of heavy. I know quite a lot of people who think Explosions is too heavy. It isn't very loud, but it is very intense. For me it is perfect music to have in the background while I read or talk or just to lay on the couch and dream away. For others it is way harder to listen to than Pantera. I guess it al dpands on what you are use to and what set of ears you have.

Anyway I'd like to thank both of you because you triggered me to play Explosions.:D
    listen to older Pelican or 5ive.
  • listen to older Pelican or 5ive.

I have heard Pelican, at a friends house. Haven't picked it up myself yet.
    5ive I haven't heard of before.
    5ive is a two person instrumental band from Boston on Hydra Head/Tortuga Recordings http://www.hydraheadshop.com . very heavy and hypnotic. check out the Telestic Disfracture record, it features Jonah Jenkins (Only Living Witness, Milligram, Miltown, Raw Radar War) on vocals on two tracks. some very long, dense and layered instrumental rock. i've long been searching for a very heavy instrumental band because most of the stuff i come across is dreamy-Mogwai stuff that i'm not too cazy about. 5ive and old Pelican is right up my alley. i also really dig newer Pelican but it's like two different animals to me.

5ive has a new record coming out this month. fyi.
  • 5ive is a two person instrumental band from Boston on Hydra Head/Tortuga Recordings http://www.hydraheadshop.com . very heavy and hypnotic. check out the Telestic Disfracture record, it features Jonah Jenkins (Only Living Witness, Milligram, Miltown, Raw Radar War) on vocals on two tracks. some very long, dense and layered instrumental rock. i've long been searching for a very heavy instrumental band because most of the stuff i come across is dreamy-Mogwai stuff that i'm not too cazy about. 5ive and old Pelican is right up my alley. i also really dig newer Pelican but it's like two different animals to me.

I think I do have a slite tendency to go for the more dreamy stuff. Mogwai is very dear to me. If you ever get the chance to see them live I´d surely try and go, they´ll probable please you, they are very much in your face on stage.

5ive is on my list.
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    I think this is a weird thread. I mean whether you like Neil Young, Dylan, Wilco, Mountain Goats and Pearl Jam or Pearl Jam, Jet, Linkin Park and Kayne West. Why does it matter we're all pj fans? I think a lot of people on here have the same taste in music as I do but I'm not going to make a thread about it. If you wanna make a thread about good music taste make a thread about wilco or ryan adams or nick cave and be done with it.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    This is the most pointless and masturbatory thread ever.

And Odin, I like a lot of the bands that you listed but your attitude towards listeners of music that isn't to your taste is appalling and frighteningly tedious. I fucking love Neurosis, doesn't mean I don't love Godspeed You! Black Emperor, who I am pretty sure Todd76 likes.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I fucking love Neurosis, doesn't mean I don't love Godspeed You! Black Emperor, who I am pretty sure Todd76 likes.

I do, I do :) LOVE em!!!!!!!!!!!!!

......thanks
    Todd76 wrote:
    I do, I do :) LOVE em!!!!!!!!!!!!!

......thanks
    I am wearing a Slow Riot for New Zero Kanada t-shirt at this exact moment :D

Best band in the world to be honest. I have a nostalgic attachment that makes me want to think I like PJ more but I'm really just kidding myself, if I'm going on which I listen to more these days.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I am wearing a Slow Riot for New Zero Kanada t-shirt at this exact moment :D

Best band in the world to be honest. I have a nostalgic attachment that makes me want to think I like PJ more but I'm really just kidding myself, if I'm going on which I listen to more these days.

easily one of the most amazing live bands I have ever seen......one of my greatest concert experiences was seeing them play at a huge OLD movie theatre in Toronto (balcony seats).....the band performed silhouetted in front of the screen to some really amazing visuals - MINDBLOWING
  • in_hiding79in_hiding79 Posts: 4,315
    Saturnal wrote:
    haha nice

Actually none of us do....except Chuck Norris.

hehehehehe

:)
    And so the lion fell in love with the lamb...,"
    "What a stupid lamb."
    "What a sick, masochistic lion."
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    This is the most pointless and masturbatory thread ever.

I reckon you haven't been over in the AET section, then.
    And Odin, I like a lot of the bands that you listed but your attitude towards listeners of music that isn't to your taste is appalling and frighteningly tedious. I fucking love Neurosis, doesn't mean I don't love Godspeed You! Black Emperor, who I am pretty sure Todd76 likes.

Good for you. I've checked out every band that Todd76 has raved about and couldn't get into a single one of them. We are on the opposite ends of the rock spectrum and I'm pretty sure the only band we have in common is Pearl Jam. Like I said, it's nothing personal, but I find it amazing that fans of the same band (Pearl Jam) could have such different tastes.

Also, it's rather amusing that this thread is considered "masturbatory" when people on this BBS form circle jerks around every boring, Pitchfork-sponsored indie band out there. GTFOH, Jeremy!!!!!!!
    Todd76 wrote:
    easily one of the most amazing live bands I have ever seen......one of my greatest concert experiences was seeing them play at a huge OLD movie theatre in Toronto (balcony seats).....the band performed silhouetted in front of the screen to some really amazing visuals - MINDBLOWING
    You're so lucky. I never got to see them. I will be seeing A Silver Mt Zion soon though so that is some consolation, if not much :)

Words cannot express how Lift yr skinny fists makes me feel.
    5ive is a two person instrumental band from Boston on Hydra Head/Tortuga Recordings http://www.hydraheadshop.com . very heavy and hypnotic. check out the Telestic Disfracture record, it features Jonah Jenkins (Only Living Witness, Milligram, Miltown, Raw Radar War) on vocals on two tracks. some very long, dense and layered instrumental rock. i've long been searching for a very heavy instrumental band because most of the stuff i come across is dreamy-Mogwai stuff that i'm not too cazy about. 5ive and old Pelican is right up my alley. i also really dig newer Pelican but it's like two different animals to me.

Milligram is one helluva band. Thanks for the recommendation, Matt!
  • in_hiding79in_hiding79 Posts: 4,315
    ajedigecko wrote:
    i like; winger, cinderella, stryper, quiet riot, def leppard, warrant, poison,......yeah i am a music snob.

THose are some great bands!! :)
    And so the lion fell in love with the lamb...,"
    "What a stupid lamb."
    "What a sick, masochistic lion."
  • Odin wrote:
    I would have to say South of Seattle, Mushmouthmatt and intodeep... and me, of course. :D

And for the record, if Todd77 likes a band, chances are I don't. No offence, dude. :D

Let's not be too hard on the guy ;)

The funny thing is that I like a lot of the same stuff as Todd76
    NERDS!
    Odin wrote:
    I've checked out every band that Todd76 has raved about and couldn't get into a single one of them. We are on the opposite ends of the rock spectrum and I'm pretty sure the only band we have in common is Pearl Jam. Like I said, it's nothing personal, but I find it amazing that fans of the same band (Pearl Jam) could have such different tastes.

don't forget Dinosaur Jr. and Sigur Ros ;)

(I actually don't even really like Pearl Jam all that much anymore.....thats why i spend my time in "Other" music - and the people who hang out on the Porch kinda scare me)
    Let's not be too hard on the guy ;)

The funny thing is that I like a lot of the same stuff as Todd76

I mentioned you because of your great taste in hip-hop. :D