Who has the best taste in music in this section?

Comments

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Odin wrote:
    I reckon you haven't been over in the AET section, then.

Good for you. I've checked out every band that Todd76 has raved about and couldn't get into a single one of them. We are on the opposite ends of the rock spectrum and I'm pretty sure the only band we have in common is Pearl Jam. Like I said, it's nothing personal, but I find it amazing that fans of the same band (Pearl Jam) could have such different tastes.
    With regards to point one, I spend most of my time on this board over at the AET. I don't see your point. It's full of random and useless threads but not many that are designed for ego massaging.

Secondly, I cannot believe you are actually suggesting that Pearl Jam fans should only listen to the same kinds of music. Who cares if you can't get into the bands Todd likes? In MY opinion, he has better taste in music than you. Doesn't mean he does, it's just subjective. I have more in common with his tastes. I would never presume to be so arrogant as to tell you that you shouldn't listen to the bands you do, or failing that, make patronising comments about the bands you do on the grounds that the stuff I like is somehow better. This is an "other music" board for a very good reason.

Why because someone likes Pearl Jam should you expect them to have the same tastes as you? I'm assuming since you mainly listed metal bands and seem to have a problem with eclecticism that you don't listen to much classical music or jazz? I do. I also listen to metal. That's the beauty of music, good music is good music. Stop being such an elitist, or if you have to, save the condescension for someone who deserves it.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    You're so lucky. I never got to see them. I will be seeing A Silver Mt Zion soon though so that is some consolation, if not much :)

Words cannot express how Lift yr skinny fists makes me feel.

I still periodically check the GSYBE site to see if there is any news about them working on new music.....i'm not willing to give up on them yet

- for now the side projects will have to do
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • Odin wrote:
    I mentioned you because of your great taste in hip-hop. :D

Well I do have that. :D Restlesssoul got some good taste in hip-hop as well.
    NERDS!
  • OdinOdin Posts: 599
    Todd76 wrote:
    don't forget Dinosaur Jr. and Sigur Ros ;)

(I actually don't even really like Pearl Jam all that much anymore.....thats why i spend my time in "Other" music - and the people who hang out on the Porch kinda scare me)

I stand corrected. :D Sigur Ros is an enigma for me because they, as you know, are far from being considered "heavy" ...nevertheless, they are very powerful, though in a different way. Their atmospheric music is conducive to meditation, much like classical music or instrumental jazz.
  • btb002btb002 Posts: 183
    I was wondering where all the people who pour my coffee was at. It should have occurred to me to look here first. Oh, and Rob Gordon, you have horrible, just terrible music taste.
    You are just a negative mindless pud.
  • Before this post, I would have to say Todd is the one with the best taste in music. But, now that I am here, I would have to take his crown for myself. :)
    Cock Fight.
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    With regards to point one, I spend most of my time on this board over at the AET. I don't see your point. It's full of random and useless threads but not many that are designed for ego massaging.

Secondly, I cannot believe you are actually suggesting that Pearl Jam fans should only listen to the same kinds of music. Who cares if you can't get into the bands Todd likes? In MY opinion, he has better taste in music than you. Doesn't mean he does, it's just subjective. I have more in common with his tastes. I would never presume to be so arrogant as to tell you that you shouldn't listen to the bands you do, or failing that, make patronising comments about the bands you do on the grounds that the stuff I like is somehow better. This is an "other music" board for a very good reason.

Why because someone likes Pearl Jam should you expect them to have the same tastes as you? I'm assuming since you mainly listed metal bands and seem to have a problem with eclecticism that you don't listen to much classical music or jazz? I do. I also listen to metal. That's the beauty of music, good music is good music. Stop being such an elitist, or if you have to, save the condescension for someone who deserves it.

Obviously, not everyone on this BBS will have identical tastes. That can also be said about fans on any other band's message board. I never once suggested that PJ fans should listen to the same bands/sub-genres. Furthermore, I never told Todd76 that he should be listening to heavier bands. In my original post, I stated, "And for the record, if Todd77 likes a band, chances are I don't. No offence, dude." I stand by that statement. It wasn't meant to be insulting or condescending... the point of that remark was to show how two fans of Pearl Jam (at one time or another) can be on opposite ends of the rock music spectrum. Period.
    Tek Money wrote:
    Before this post, I would have to say Todd is the one with the best taste in music. But, now that I am here, I would have to take his crown for myself. :)

I'll arm wrestle ya for it ;)
  • Todd76 wrote:
    I'll arm wrestle ya for it ;)

You're on Old Man.

Actually, Todd has introduced me to some amazing music. You all could learn a few things from his tastes.
    Cock Fight.
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    this thread reminds me of one from a long time ago on A Moving Train where people were naming the books on their bookshelf.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
    Odin wrote:
    Obviously, not everyone on this BBS will have identical tastes. That can also be said about fans on any other band's message board. I never once suggested that PJ fans should listen to the same bands/sub-genres. Furthermore, I never told Todd76 that he should be listening to heavier bands. In my original post, I stated, "And for the record, if Todd77 likes a band, chances are I don't. No offence, dude." I stand by that statement. It wasn't meant to be insulting or condescending... the point of that remark was to show how two fans of Pearl Jam (at one time or another) can be on opposite ends of the rock music spectrum. Period.
    Alright, fair enough. it just seemed like you were baiting people from the outset which seemed a tad arrogant. Nevermind.

anyway, I don't know about best music taste but I think I listen to an interesting range that might seem odd if you don't expect PJ fans to listen to certain stuff. Here's my list of the most important albums in my musical awakening.

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/Genesis_Jaime/records_that_blew_my_mind_
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Lizard wrote:
    this thread reminds me of one from a long time ago on A Moving Train where people were naming the books on their bookshelf.

That sounds like fun. But, it doesn't seem to go anywhere.

Oh, wait. I see what you did there.

http://meow.catsplz.com/cats/pictures/234/I-see-what-you-did-there.jpg
    Cock Fight.
    Odin wrote:

I know where you're coming from.....and i'm totally not offended - just a little surprised that out of all the people on the board you singled me out.
    Tek Money wrote:
    You're on Old Man.

OUCH :(
    Tek Money wrote:
    Actually, Todd has introduced me to some amazing music. You all could learn a few things from his tastes.

Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Alright, fair enough. it just seemed like you were baiting people from the outset which seemed a tad arrogant. Nevermind.

The "smiley" emoticon was placed at the end of my original message for a reason. It seems Todd took the original remark better than you and a few others did.

And since you have Illmatic in your top-five, your tastes can't be too bad. :D Some of the quotables on that album put even the most acclaimed songwriters like Dylan to shame. I know I've probably opened a new can of worms with that comment, but I don't care. Nas is a lyrical genius.
    for the record....the correct answer to the question on which this thread is based is:

todd76, Tek Money, Jeremy1012, Matt Lukin, Sawyer, Direwolf74 :)
  • Todd76 wrote:
    for the record....the correct answer to the question on which this thread is based is:

todd76, Tek Money, Jeremy1012, Matt Lukin, Sawyer :)

dire wolf!
    Cock Fight.
    Odin wrote:
    The "smiley" emoticon was placed at the end of my original message for a reason. It seems Todd took the original remark better than you and a few others did.

And since you have Illmatic in your top-five, your tastes can't be too bad. :D Some of the quotables on that album put even the most acclaimed songwriters like Dylan to shame. I know I've probably opened a new can of worms with that comment, but I don't care. Nas is a lyrical genius.
    Illmatic is the greatest lyrical achievement since BIABH-era Dylan, for sure. Half man, half amazing indeed.
    Tek Money wrote:
    dire wolf!

shit - yeah you're right, he should be on there too
    Todd76 wrote:
    I know where you're coming from.....and i'm totally not offended - just a little surprised that out of all the people on the board you singled me out.

...only because I couldn't find a common link between you and I until you brought up Dinosaur Jr. and Sigur Ros on this thread. I do check out a lot of bands that people mention here and on other forums and, to my surprise, not a single one of the bands that you mentioned appealed to me. Nothing personal... they just didn't do anything for me.
    Todd76 wrote:

:) as much as I don't want to turn this into some congratulatory back-slapping situation, I would probably say you, mainly because we seem to have very similar tastes and I'd like to think I'm not listening to crap everyday :p
    Odin wrote:

although I must say your Decemberists comment was WAY out of line....and that one about all my fav bands added up not being able to match the intensity of Neurosis stung a little too ;)
  • Odin wrote:

Well, Todd and I understand that not everyone has wonderful taste like we do. :)
    Cock Fight.
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Illmatic is the greatest lyrical achievement since BIABH-era Dylan, for sure. Half man, half amazing indeed.

"That buck that bought the bottle could've struck the lotto."

"I never sleep, 'cause sleep is the cousin of death."

"Blame God, he blew breath in my lungs."

Too many quotables. It's too bad he fell off lyrically after he married Kelis.
    Todd76 wrote:
    although I must say your Decemberists comment was WAY out of line....and that one about all my fav bands added up not being able to match the intensity of Neurosis stung a little too ;)

Sorry, mate... won't take that comment back. The Decembrists bored the shit out of me.
  • Odin wrote:
    Sorry, mate... won't take that comment back. The Decembrists bored the shit out of me.

You must have seen them on an off night, because their live show was amazing. They covered The Band! It was sexy. And the band had so much energy.

In my opinion, if you don't like The Crane Wife, you don't like music. I'm just sayin'.
    Cock Fight.
  • Todd76 wrote:

Booyah!
    The car's on fire and there's no driver at the wheel
    And the sewers are all muddied with a thousand lonely suicides
    Tek Money wrote:
    You must have seen them on an off night, because their live show was amazing. They covered The Band! It was sexy. And the band had so much energy.

Energy? HA!!! You need to get out more.

If Sevendust ever does a Canadian tour and plays in London, you should go and see what a REAL energetic show looks like.
    In my opinion, if you don't like The Crane Wife, you don't like music. I'm just sayin'.

Now if I were to make a post like this, half the board would jump all over me for it. From the Decembrists songs I heard, their music is the soundtrack to a coma.
  • PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    Is anyone else amazed this thread has gone on for 6 pages. What's worse is I read them all.
    PJGARDEN wrote:
    Is anyone else amazed this thread has gone on for 6 pages. What's worse is I read them all.

It is a pretty compelling read