The Who...let's be honest...

12346»

Comments

• I'm having a Who day today. I like everything. It won't last. :D
  • SoupySoupy Posts: 171
    I adore The Who.

It's the Stones I don't get, I admit they had a good run of 4 albums early on (Beggars, Bleed, Sticky & Exile). but since the early 70's they have been utter shite. Infact Ronnie Wood despict being in the band for nearly 40 years hasn't played on worthwhile Stones record.
  • Soupy wrote:
    I adore The Who.

It's the Stones I don't get, I admit they had a good run of 4 albums early on (Beggars, Bleed, Sticky & Exile). but since the early 70's they have been utter shite. Infact Ronnie Wood despict being in the band for nearly 40 years hasn't played on worthwhile Stones record.

Without wishing to derail the thread, I'll quickly say I think Ronnie Wood is one of the reasons why the Stones went down the toilet. He played this luvverly corblimey cockney chummy chuggalong music with The Faces, and when he joined the Stones he doubled, rather than countered, Keef's own chuggalong tendencies.
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    I'm having a Who day today. I like everything. It won't last. :D
    Welcome to the camp! :D

btw sorry if I appeared to be making fun of your knowledge of The Who. Actually I have a lot of respect for people who take the time to learn that much about a band, especially when they're a kid. You probably know more about them than I do since I've just sort of absorbed things over the years rather than really set out to learn about them. :)
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Nah, I don't really know all that much apart from them, apart from reading that book Before I Get Old, back in about 1983 or so. I was just playing the encyclopaedic card to counter the accusation that any dissenter was an ill-informed idiot. ;)
  • Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    To each his own I guess...but I can't help but feel sorry for anyone that hasn't found bliss in The Who's music

Aside from Pearl Jam, The Who's music has been the number one constant throughout my life. Their records are one of the most cherished things in my life.

That music has been with me through alot of good and bad times.

My Father and Uncle took me to the show at the Pontiac Silverdome in Detroit in 1988-89. It was my first concert and I was never the same after that experience.

From that moment on, I went on to collect anything and everything Who related.

For my money, there is nothing better in this world than sitting down with a bottle of red wine, and throwing Live At Leeds or Quadrophenia on the turntable.

It was through The Who that I found Pearl Jam.

I remember watching that MTV Singles release party or whatever the fuck it was and I caught Pearl Jam's performance of "Baba O' Reily"

It blew my mind...Pearl Jam was the direct decendent of The Who musically, and in spirit.

I've loved Pearl Jam ever since.

But in my mind and in my heart...The Who will always remain "The Greatest Rock'n'Roll Band Ever".

Later
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    Don't mean to drag this up, but that bloody Ivor the Engine Driver song is on the radio again, second time in as many evenings.
    I really must say.....influence anyone? Good god, influence a pre school play session maybe...:o embaressing is the word for this.
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    jamie uk wrote:
    Don't mean to drag this up, but that bloody Ivor the Engine Driver song is on the radio again, second time in as many evenings.
    I really must say.....influence anyone? Good god, influence a pre school play session maybe...:o embaressing is the word for this.

let it go jamie let it go. :)
    im not a fan of the who either but i am big enough to admit they have been influential. though i actually used to think that song of theirs i can see for miles was a byrds song. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • jamie uk wrote:
    they were an ok band, thay had some great songs...but they were very patchy, very hit and miss at times, and quite frankly went on far too long...not to mention the numerous changes in style they undertook in order to try sustain some popularity and success. Like I said, they had some great songs, but overall.....not all they're cracked up to be.

I reckon....the one and only reason they get so many fuckin plaudits around here is because Eddie Vedder loves them so much.
    Aint that the truth ? You all know it is.

They're his favourite band, not ours....

I'm not going to read the rest of this thread. And I agree 100% with this post. I actually grew up with some Who. My mom was a fan, but at no time did I ever get into this band. Some hits and alot of miss, IMO.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • force-10force-10 Posts: 794
    to all who dislikes the who:

you wish you can play guitar like pete.
    you wish you can sing like roger.
    you wish you can sound like the ox.
    you wish you can drink like moon!
    IN THE DARK, ALL CATS ARE BLACK.
  • Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    Okay...I'm going to be 100% honest here.

THE WHO FUCKING ROCK!!!!
  • force-10 wrote:
    to all who dislikes the who:

you wish you can play guitar like pete.
    you wish you can sing like roger.
    you wish you can sound like the ox.
    you wish you can drink like moon!

But Moony couldn't drink.
  • Sure the Who had a lot of "misses" as you guys have said, but that was because Pete was always trying new things. With experimentation can come some bad results.

There collection of great songs is up there with anyone's.

And as someone said above they were all top notch players. Listen to Won't Get Fooled Again and point out a weak link.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    I'm waiting for years an UK rock band that can be able to play as raw and great like the who did it. For 15 years or more it seems like 95% of uk bands still havent' overcomed their Beatles obsession.
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    I caught him on a rerun of it once or I don't think I would have realized he was on that show.

I don't usually watch CSI but after hearing so many people talk about the episode that Roger was in I had to watch just so I could see him play a black woman! :eek: :rolleyes:

WHAT???? I did not see that and I love CSI.

Ok, I found his pic from the episode. He looks really young here. It says he was born in 1944.
    http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3710753024/nm0002032
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    iluvcats wrote:
    WHAT???? I did not see that and I love CSI.

Ok, I found his pic from the episode. He looks really young here. It says he was born in 1944.
    http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3710753024/nm0002032
    He played multiple characters in the episode including a black woman. But I didn't know that ahead of time. I'd only seen the pic of the black woman! :eek:

Yeah, Roger is 64 but he looks great. He seems to have always kept himself in very good shape.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    He played multiple characters in the episode including a black woman. But I didn't know that ahead of time. I'd only seen the pic of the black woman! :eek:

Yeah, Roger is 64 but he looks great. He seems to have always kept himself in very good shape.

HUBBA HUBBA

;)
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more