The Who...let's be honest...

Comments

• pearljam0000pearljam0000 Posts: 450
    The punk and the godfather is a kick ass song
  • Never could get into them.
  • bluemonkeybluemonkey Posts: 198
    i hate the who.i really don't get the love at all.the only song i do like is that eminant front song,or whatever it's called,and that's probably one of their worst songs as far as fans are concerned.
  • CobCob Posts: 857
    Who's Next is one of my top 10 favorite albums ever, I use to listed to "Meaty, Beaty, Big and Bouncy every day for about 3 years as a teenager, I saw The Who in 1982 and 1989, both great shows, I consider them one of my favorite rock bands. Hey and believe it or not this was all in the 1970's and 1980's before Pearl Jam was even around.

I am so sick of jackasses making bogus remarks as if other peoples whole lives revolve around Pearl Jam and that people can't think for themselves, guess what I also listened to The Ramones and Neil Young before there was Pearl Jam. Get a freaking clue, I could really give a shit who ANYONE in Pearl Jam likes or listens to, I THINK FOR MYSELF..........
    [img][/img]9/5/92, 11/20/93, 3/14,15/94, 9/16/95, 10/14,15/2000
    4/5,6/9/2003, 9/1/05, 12/7/2005, 7/15,16,18/2006, 8/5/2007
    6/24,25/08,6/27/08,6/28/08,6/30/08
    9/21,22/2009, 10/4/2009
    5/6,7,9/2010, 9/3/2011 9/4/2011, 11/15/2013,
    11/16/2013, 12/8/2013, 10/5/2014, 10/12/2014,
    4/23, 5/10, 5/12, 8/20, 8/22 2016,
    8/8, 8/10, 8/18, 8/20 2018, 5/12, 5/13, 9/20 2022

• Blind MelonBlind Melon Posts: 911
    Have any of you (haters) actually listened to Tommy? It's so fucking incredible... and I absolutely love how Quadrophenia starts out with "I Am the Sea", where you hear rain and then "REIGN O'ER ME"... just sounds so fucking cool.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • Not everyone offering a judicious criticism is a "hater".
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Cob wrote:

I am so sick of jackasses making bogus remarks as if other peoples whole lives revolve around Pearl Jam and that people can't think for themselves, guess what I also listened to The Ramones and Neil Young before there was Pearl Jam. Get a freaking clue, I could really give a shit who ANYONE in Pearl Jam likes or listens to, I THINK FOR MYSELF..........

A-FUCKING-MEN!!!!

and just because you don't like the who doesn't lessen their impact on modern music....i can say the same kind of bullshit about pearl jam or any band....so you don't like the who....WHO GIVES A SHIT!!!!!!
  • Cob wrote:
    agreed

oh and you forgot fugazi
    PLAY THE GORGE IN 08 YOU PUSSIES

On the dry and dusty road
    The nights we spent apart alone
    I need to get back home
    To cool cool rain

LONG LIVE THE WHO! BE DEAD OR ALIVE

i'll ride the wave where it take me, i'll hold the pain release meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
  • Strangest TribeStrangest Tribe Posts: 2,502
    cutback wrote:
    A-FUCKING-MEN!!!!

and just because you don't like the who doesn't lessen their impact on modern music....i can say the same kind of bullshit about pearl jam or any band....so you don't like the who....WHO GIVES A SHIT!!!!!!

+1

Pearl Jam will never be as inspirational as the Who.......ever
    the Minions
  • i respect them, just dont like em. i think maybe they're music is more stuck in their own time than the Stones or beetles. too dated. just a theory.

I still would have loved too hear them live back in the day though. i think they were a better live act.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    and...

if the who suck...and pearl jam has been influenced by the who....then pearl jam must suck....
  • drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    There's a reason their guitarist & singer still sell out arenas across the world. And that's because they define rock and roll.

I'm not the biggest Who fan - I listen to them the list out of the 'big' bands (Zeppelin, Stones, Beatles). But I admit they're one of the greatest acts of all time.

They pushed the boundaries of rock and roll - hell, formed the boundaries themselves. They revolutionized what a rock concert was. They gave attitude to rock. They were one of the first bands to turn rock music into an art (Tommy).
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
  • bluemonkeybluemonkey Posts: 198
    cutback wrote:
    and...

if the who suck...and pearl jam has been influenced by the who....then pearl jam must suck....
    no,it actually doesn't mean that at all.
  • drew0 wrote:
    There's a reason their guitarist & singer still sell out arenas across the world. And that's because they define rock and roll.
    agreed

They pushed the boundaries of rock and roll - hell, formed the boundaries themselves. They revolutionized what a rock concert was. They gave attitude to rock. They were one of the first bands to turn rock music into an art (Tommy). [/quote]DEF AGREED

also they started this thing called mod/prog rock when other bands were still making your typical rock

I need to get back home
    To cool cool rain

i'll ride the wave where it take me, i'll hold the pain release meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
  • bgirl59bgirl59 Posts: 888
    drew0 wrote:

I'm not the biggest Who fan - I listen to them the list out of the 'big' bands (Zeppelin, Stones, Beatles). But I admit they're one of the greatest acts of all time.

They pushed the boundaries of rock and roll - hell, formed the boundaries themselves. They revolutionized what a rock concert was. They gave attitude to rock. They were one of the first bands to turn rock music into an art (Tommy).
    Thank you drew0,
    Dearest Jamie UK, please do some homework will you? For once I am happy to report that I am proud to be older than u- before there was Pearl Jam there was this British Invasion, ever hear of it? Without it we would all be hooked on the next generation of The Osmonds....
    PEARL JAM in 2024! Dark Matter and MORE ! THANK YOU!!   
    Peace Love & Pearl Jam forever!!
  • TDMize15TDMize15 Posts: 166
    First of all... whoever said The Who were a singles band... thank you for showing me that you are an idiot.

The band that invented the "rock opera" with "Tommy" and "Quadrophenia"... and concept albums like "The Who Sell Out." This is a singles band? Are you fucking kidding me? And "Who's Next", the album with their most popular singles... was not an album of singles, it was all part of an abandoned project for a rock opera called Lifehouse.

And the only reason I started to listen to Pearl Jam... is because of Pete playing with Eddie a couple of concerts. So there goes your theory of me listening to them because of Eddie... other way around actually.

Here is the opening paragraph of The Who's wiki article:
    "The Who are an English rock band formed in 1964. The primary lineup consisted of guitarist Pete Townshend, vocalist Roger Daltrey, bassist John Entwistle and drummer Keith Moon. The band reached international success, became known for their energetic live performances,[1][2] are regarded as one of the most influential rock bands of the 1960s and '70s, and recognized as one of the greatest rock and roll bands of all time. They were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1990, their first year of eligibility."

Also:
    "The Who are one of the most influential groups in rock music. Their progressive approach to the writing of albums and their exciting live shows are matched by few. The hard rock style they brought to England's music scene was one that set the stage for other bands ranging from Led Zeppelin to The Clash. The Who have sold more than 100 million albums worldwide."

Read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Who
    Especially the "Influence" section.

If you don't like The Who, that's fine. But to say that they are overrated and that people don't really like them... is just ignorant.

Peace.
    All the rusted signs, we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead...

And he who forgets, will be destined to remember...
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,855
    jamie uk wrote:

I reckon....the one and only reason they get so many fuckin plaudits around here is because Eddie Vedder loves them so much.
    Aint that the truth ? You all know it is.

They're his favourite band, not ours....

many of us loved The Who long before we ever heard of Eddie Vedder
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • many of us loved The Who long before we ever heard of Eddie Vedder

Exactly. I can't stand people who shit on the Beatles, Stones, Who, Zeppelin, etc...it shows a lack of musical knowledge and respect.
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    I think the original poster might be about 15 years old. DOn't be too hard on him.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    I think the original poster might be about 15 years old. DOn't be too hard on him.

actually hes in his late 30s. though he is welsh, maybe that explains it. ;):)

though i do share his ho-hum attitude towards the who.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    actually hes in his late 30s. though he is welsh, maybe that explains it. ;):)

though i do share his ho-hum attitude towards the who.

I'm not a die-hard or anything. But some of their stuff is just ... i don't know ... mindblowing. How do they make some of those sounds? It was some revolutionary shit.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Here is my story of getting into the who:

I was a casual fan until I saw them live in November 2006 in Dallas. Yes, I realize that John and Keith have passed, but OMFG. I went to this show and it blew my mind. The whole multimedia set up was great with the videos and the music. Pete was rockin his fucking ass off the entire show. Roger was in great form too. The crowd was so into it, which was a plus and the "Endless wire" mini opera called "wire and glass" was very well received for being their first disc with new material in 20 years. I'll admit when I fist heard "Endless wire" I thought it sucked. Then I saw it live and the energy from the show as a whole just made me understand my friends love of the who. He is a diehard, of theirs like we are with PJ. I totally see why Ed is a fan of Townsend, and I got to see how Pearl jam shows are influenced by the greatness of the who. Like it or not, they (Pearl jam shows) really are. Dare I say it, Pearl jam is my favorite band, but the who show is probably my favorite stage show ever, while it's definitely tied with Roger Waters 2008, but that's a whole other thread in itself.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,855
    JWBusher wrote:
    Exactly. I can't stand people who shit on the Beatles, Stones, Who, Zeppelin, etc...it shows a lack of musical knowledge and respect.

I can live with someone who says something like "I hate the Beatles. I can't stand them. Every time I hear one of their songs I want to rip the hair out of my head.....but I respect them." that's fine. it's when someone says something like "The Beatles suck" or "The Beatles are overrated" that I used to fly off the handle. Now I don't even reply to posts like that.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    I'm not a die-hard or anything. But some of their stuff is just ... i don't know ... mindblowing. How do they make some of those sounds? It was some revolutionary shit.

okay im off to listen to tommy now. :)

yes i do have who albums.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • hiding103006hiding103006 Posts: 452
    jamie uk wrote:
    they were an ok band, thay had some great songs...but they were very patchy, very hit and miss at times, and quite frankly went on far too long...not to mention the numerous changes in style they undertook in order to try sustain some popularity and success. Like I said, they had some great songs, but overall.....not all they're cracked up to be.

I reckon....the one and only reason they get so many fuckin plaudits around here is because Eddie Vedder loves them so much.
    Aint that the truth ? You all know it is.

They're his favourite band, not ours....
    well the who had producers that didn't really know what they were doing in kit lambert and chris stamp - they were more the driven manager type who shouldn't have been behind a control board

they had terrible record deals forcing them to tour tour tour tour... for the first 10 (or so...) years of the bands existance they were in debt.

tommy and quadrophenia are rock operas. they are the big picture type of things.

they are either for you or aren't... i love the who... it's about the time.
    i mean come on my generation and the kids are alright we written in 1965!!!

pearl jam performs who songs not to put their spin on 'em... they are tributes. lets put it this way - substitute (no pun intended) roger daltrey and eddie vedder and everyone hear loves the who.

rock and roll is art. it is. whether you think it is or not - its about expressing yourself melodically and lyrically. pete townshend is like neil young. he was the creative genius behind the who - and he felt that it wasn't his job to keep coming out with the same album over and over and over and over.......

i love bands that can try things out. test. see what works and what doesnt...

i bounce around. sorry for my non-flowing opinions lol
    Camden 7-5-2003, Camden 7-6-2003, Hershey 7-12-2003, Camden 5-27-2006, Camden 5-28-2006, Lollapalooza 8-5-2007, Camden 6-19-2008, Camden 6-20-2008, New York 6-24-2008, New York 6-25-2008, Mansfield 6-28-2008, Mansfield 6-30-2008
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    well the who had producers that didn't really know what they were doing in kit lambert and chris stamp - they were more the driven manager type who shouldn't have been behind a control board

they had terrible record deals forcing them to tour tour tour tour... for the first 10 (or so...) years of the bands existance they were in debt.

tommy and quadrophenia are rock operas. they are the big picture type of things.

they are either for you or aren't... i love the who... it's about the time.
    i mean come on my generation and the kids are alright we written in 1965!!!

pearl jam performs who songs not to put their spin on 'em... they are tributes. lets put it this way - substitute (no pun intended) roger daltrey and eddie vedder and everyone hear loves the who.

rock and roll is art. it is. whether you think it is or not - its about expressing yourself melodically and lyrically. pete townshend is like neil young. he was the creative genius behind the who - and he felt that it wasn't his job to keep coming out with the same album over and over and over and over.......

i love bands that can try things out. test. see what works and what doesnt...

i bounce around. sorry for my non-flowing opinions lol
    Amen dude, Amen. :D If Pearl jam officially released a who tribute disc of covers called let's say "the who sessions", people here would cream their pants because it's Eddie singing songs that his idol Pete Townsend wrote, and Roger Daltrey sang the majority on.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
    red mos wrote:
    Agreed. If Pearl jam released an official cd called. lets say "The who sessions" where Pearl jam played who covers, the who haters on here and "Ed can do no wrong" people on here would hail the who in the highest regard.

im not a who hater(damn i sound like dr suess), they just dont do much for me. but if ed sang pinball wizard thatd be alright by me. hell, id sing it with him. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • The Who aren't nearly as great as a lot of people pretend they are...

Great musicians with average songs, sorry Eddie.

They haven't aged all that well either. The Velvet Underground, while not nearly as commercially successful, has aged much better.

I'd say only the Doors have aged worse than the Who.
    "Why stand when you can sit?" - Winston Churchill
    "Why sit when you can dance?" - Me
    The Who aren't nearly as great as a lot of people pretend they are...

Great musicians with average songs, sorry Eddie.

They haven't aged all that well either. The Velvet Underground, while not nearly as commercially successful, has aged much better.

I'd say only the Doors have aged worse than the Who.

sorry... the doors arent the doors without jim.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • sorry... the doors arent the doors without jim.
    not true. go listen to when ed joined the doors for there rock n roll hall of fame induction.

I need to get back home
    To cool cool rain