The Who...let's be honest...

jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
edited July 2008 in Other Music
they were an ok band, thay had some great songs...but they were very patchy, very hit and miss at times, and quite frankly went on far too long...not to mention the numerous changes in style they undertook in order to try sustain some popularity and success. Like I said, they had some great songs, but overall.....not all they're cracked up to be.

I reckon....the one and only reason they get so many fuckin plaudits around here is because Eddie Vedder loves them so much.
Aint that the truth ? You all know it is.

They're his favourite band, not ours....
I came, I saw, I concurred.....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• they're awesome...when Pearl Jam covers them.
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    I just downloaded quadrophenia because of pearl jams cover of "the real me".

The two best songs on that album are "the real me" and "love reign oer me"....go figure. Its an ok album, i guess it just has to grow on me.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Their musical catalogue speaks for itself. Their live shows speak for themself.

They are one of (if not the greatest) rock acts to ever grace this planet. Period.

Truthfully I hate that the license their songs out everywhere, but they are still amazing.

Check out their live at the Isle of Wright Cd...Melts my face every time i listen to it.
    "Music is the glue that holds everything together. Without it, everything would fall apart." --Eddie (From the movie EMPIRE RECORDS)
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812

The two best songs on that album are "the real me" and "love reign oer me"....go figure. Its an ok album, i guess it just has to grow on me.

Perzactly. Pearl Jam covers it...we get on it.
    But truthfully...they are really not that great.
  • They were a fine singles band. They were a great live band. Their albums are uneven. My favourite Who albums are Who's Next and The Who By Numbers.

I never liked Quadrophenia.
  • I'm not a tremendous Who fan, but I have to disagree with you...they really do have some incredible tunes. The Who's Next album is fuckin amazing! Also, they're such a well respected band for more reasons than just good songs: the level of musicianship was staggeringly elite and they're greatly responsible for pushing the bounds of rock n roll music as an art form. Just like it's easy to look back and remember a band as being better than they actually were, it's also easy to look back and forget why certain bands were as important as they were.
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
    They were a fine singles band. They were a great live band. Their albums are uneven. My favourite Who albums are Who's Next and The Who By Numbers.

I never liked Quadrophenia.

always the man to sum it up :)
    singles band.....I like that, because it's the truth.

Substitute=great. Boris the Spider= shit.
  • jamie uk wrote:
    they were an ok band, thay had some great songs...but they were very patchy, very hit and miss at times, and quite frankly went on far too long...not to mention the numerous changes in style they undertook in order to try sustain some popularity and success. Like I said, they had some great songs, but overall.....not all they're cracked up to be.

I reckon....the one and only reason they get so many fuckin plaudits around here is because Eddie Vedder loves them so much.

there last hit record was Quadrophenia. dude your way off in thinking the who are just ed's fav band. i grew up on tommy and whos next and all the rest of them way before ed drooled over them in the media. you seem to be way off track bout the who. how many other bands would tour just to help another band member whos low on cash. the who were and always will be my fav band
    PLAY THE GORGE IN 08 YOU PUSSIES

On the dry and dusty road
    The nights we spent apart alone
    I need to get back home
    To cool cool rain

LONG LIVE THE WHO! BE DEAD OR ALIVE

i'll ride the wave where it take me, i'll hold the pain release meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    there last hit record was Quadrophenia. dude your way off in thinking the who are just ed's fav band. i grew up on tommy and whos next and all the rest of them way before ed drooled over them in the media. you seem to be way off track bout the who. how many other bands would tour just to help another band member whos low on cash. the who were and always will be my fav band

you like em, that's fine, I've no problem with that. I still think they got way too big a reputation than they deserve.
    As for touring to help out a cash strapped member? Why didn't they just give him some dosh, they could afford it.
    Anyway...Pete Townsend makes my skin creep after all that stuff.
  • jamie uk wrote:
    you like em, that's fine, I've no problem with that. I still think they got way too big a reputation than they deserve.
    As for touring to help out a cash strapped member? Why didn't they just give him some dosh, they could afford it.
    Anyway...Pete Townsend makes my skin creep after all that stuff.
    c you should watch an amazing journey the story of the who.they got the reputation cause every cd they ever put out was different then the last and when other bands were making the same shit. hmmmmmmm that reminds me of a band from today i think there called pearl jam

I need to get back home
    To cool cool rain

i'll ride the wave where it take me, i'll hold the pain release meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    growing up my dad played the who and that stuff. i liked the who long before i even heard of pearl jam, before there was even pearl jam. though the who isnt my favorite band, you are way off in thinking the only reason i like the who is because of pearl jam.

from the classic rock era the who is my favorite though.
    c you should watch an amazing journey the story of the who.they got the reputation cause every cd they ever put out was different then the last and when other bands were making the same shit. hmmmmmmm that reminds me of a band from today i think there called pearl jam

what? you mean Pearl Jam make 'different', or the 'same shit'?
    For sure, you like em, I like em a bit, but let's be frank (hi Frank) the one and only reason most peeps here like em and they get bulled up so much around here is cos Ed loves em.....true story.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    jamie uk wrote:

well ive never been shy in saying im not a fan of the who. im with you jamie, for me the who are just another band. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • jamie uk wrote:
    what? you mean Pearl Jam make 'different', or the 'same shit'?
    For sure, you like em, I like em a bit, but let's be frank (hi Frank) the one and only reason most peeps here like em and they get bulled up so much around here is cos Ed loves em.....true story.
    no i mean how pearl jam never put out the same cd twice, every one is different then the last. you wanna be frank then lets be frank. true story is people loved em long before ed drooled over them. aruging with you is like aruging with a brick wall. i'm done in this thread peace

I need to get back home
    To cool cool rain

• I prefer The Kinks.
    I prefer The Kinks.

oh yeah!! now you really got me. give me a little ray davies any day. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    I prefer The Kinks.

...well I wouldn't go that far.
    :D
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    hang on I liked MMJ, slater-kinney, THE WHO, KOL, before I even knew vedder enjoyed their music! It's ery naive to say just because eddie blah blah but I liked the who way before I saw ed's affection for them.. Just because you don't like the band don't paint the whole board as vedder followers.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
    Zoso wrote:
    hang on I liked MMJ, slater-kinney, THE WHO, KOL, before I even knew vedder enjoyed their music! It's ery naive to say just because eddie blah blah but I liked the who way before I saw ed's affection for them.. Just because you don't like the band don't paint the whole board as vedder followers.

Ahem...please re-read my original post ;):)
    I can say Eddie blah blah...., it's not naive, it's bang on.....the Who are only popular around here because Ed likes em. They are (or were) a decent enough band, that's it, and certainly not even on the scale for most here because of the age thingy.
    peace.
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    jamie uk wrote:
    Ahem...please re-read my original post ;):)
    I can say Eddie blah blah...., it's not naive, it's bang on.....the Who are only popular around here because Ed likes em. They are (or were) a decent enough band, that's it, and certainly not even on the scale for most here because of the age thingy.
    peace.

I do agree that some bands like the who or MMJ or KOL or whoever are more popular than they would be if ed didn't like them but thats not a bad thing if Ed gets people into good music. All I'm saying is I love the who and yeah they were patchy but so are the stones and all the great bands.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    jamie uk wrote:

They're my favorite band.
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430

It's the best album ever made.
  • the only who song i really don't like is behind blue eyes. other than that, i think they were a pretty solid band.
    "Have you ever.........pooped a balloon?"
    ~D.K.S.
    the only who song i really don't like is behind blue eyes. other than that, i think they were a pretty solid band.

eww yak i cant even think of that song without thinking of fred durst.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • eww yak i cant even think of that song without thinking of fred durst.

wow, i completely forgot he covered that one.
    "Have you ever.........pooped a balloon?"
    ~D.K.S.

sorry. but if i have to remember everyone does. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I don't know what to say except they were the first rock band that got my attention and Tommy was the first R movie I saw when I was a kid. Getting that soundtrack led me to the Who version, and then on to Who's Next. I wasn't a hardcore fan but they played a part in my upbringing definitely.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i love the who~~ one of the best bands ever imo.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • Brain Of EBrain Of E Posts: 499
    Sure I did start listening to the Who because Ed is a fan, but the more I listened to them I started realizing the The Who are fucking awesome regardless if Ed likes them. They are a very important band in musical history. I would put them on the same level as the Beatles/Zeppelin/Stones/Floyd.
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906

Yea he did, and its terrible. His version doesnt even get to the heavier part. Its just the soft part repeated twice. Its pathetic.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09