Comments

• hodge wrote:
    this made me chuckle

me too. lol
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I BrisK I wrote:
    not everything revolves around pearl jam !?????????

so if something isn't as a good as pearl jam its crap?
    my thoughts exactly. Tool are goddamn amazing and that's all I have to say.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    Matt Cameron is the best drummer for Pearl Jam. And Danny Carey's talent needed to be fully explored in a band like Tool.

You see... all is right in the universe. At least in terms of Pearl Jam and Tool records.
  • TheGossman wrote:
    seen Tool live and it ranks up there with the worst live shows I've ever seen, while they sounded amazing, they were so boring to watch, Tool may outsell PJ is record sales, but I know they couldn't outsell PJ in tickets.

which show were you at? they are as good as a Pearl Jam show, if not better. Couldn't outsell PJ in tickets? Is that why Tool plays at the Staples Center and Pearl Jam plays at the trash that is the Forum? I just got back from the two shows from Staples and although the setlist were about the same, it was a great time watching my favorite band perform in my favorite nba team's house while having my favorite drummer wear my favorite nba player's basketball jersey on. I was glad they played Wings for Marie / 10,000 days. One emotional great song and closing the show with the most powerful live song I've ever seen/heard, Lateralus. (I've been to 50+ rock shows now, yup, getting old).
  • oggyoggy Posts: 2
    matt better than carey? heh someones gone craaaaaazzzzzyyyyy,

I can't really split TOOL or PJ even though i listen to a shitload more TOOL at the moment.
  • brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    i didn't know there was a fascination

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • I saw Tool on Saturday night in Phoenix, front row! It was a totally amazing show. My husband is the real fan, so I tagged along. I'm pretty familar with all their music so I was happy to go. Well, it was awesome!!! My husband caught a drum stick at the end, he was extremely happy with that. Maynard at one point was pretty pissed off, some asshole threw a water bottle and nailed him right in the head. He walked off the stage, he wouldn't sing the pot song!
  • CageyCagey Posts: 220
    I can't stand them. And no, it's nothing to do with PJ, I just hate their sound in general, tool's that is .. not PJ's ..
    All my favourite singers have stolen all of my best lines.
  • I think anyone who thinks Tool's music hasn't evolved is really not listening to enough songs. Stinkfist, Schism, and Vicarious are very similiar, and I think that's where the sentiment that "Tool's songs are all the same" comes from. I don't think anyone can seriously listen to Cold And Ugly, Bottom, Hooker With A Penis, The Grudge, and Rosetta Stoned and say those songs generally sound the same. I think those songs are much more representative of their respective albums than Vicarious or Schism or Stinkfist. These singles merely represent the primal sound that Tool has developed, but they don't show the progression from album to album.

I think Tool is actually one of the few bands who has been able to refine a sound that is clearly theirs, but also progress. And I mean progress, not just become experimental and try different things. Their albums have gotten more and more complex musically, and I think Pearl Jam isn't even comparable to Tool on this type of progression. I think a lot of Pearl Jam fans simply haven't heard much of Tool's music, and don't really like the few songs they have heard, so they don't give them the respect that they should. It's the exact same way with Tool fans too. Anyone who's read the ToolArmy forum knows that. Actually, Tool fans are typically worse in that respect.

I do think Pearl Jam performs better than Tool though (with the exception of maybe Danny Carey). Tool has a great stageshow, but if you honestly listen to their bootlegs, Maynard is frequently off-key, and Adam improvises a lot which usually doesn't come out that well.
  • Saturnal wrote:
    I think anyone who thinks Tool's music hasn't evolved is really not listening to enough songs. Stinkfist, Schism, and Vicarious are very similiar, and I think that's where the sentiment that "Tool's songs are all the same" comes from. I don't think anyone can seriously listen to Cold And Ugly, Bottom, Hooker With A Penis, The Grudge, and Rosetta Stoned and say those songs generally sound the same. I think those songs are much more representative of their respective albums than Vicarious or Schism or Stinkfist. These singles merely represent the primal sound that Tool has developed, but they don't show the progression from album to album.

I think Tool is actually one of the few bands who has been able to refine a sound that is clearly theirs, but also progress. And I mean progress, not just become experimental and try different things. Their albums have gotten more and more complex musically, and I think Pearl Jam isn't even comparable to Tool on this type of progression. I think a lot of Pearl Jam fans simply haven't heard much of Tool's music, and don't really like the few songs thcey have heard, so they don't give them the respect that they should. It's the exact same way with Tool fans too. Anyone who's read the ToolArmy forum knows that. Actually, Tool fans are typically worse in that respect.

I do think Pearl Jam performs better than Tool though (with the exception of maybe Danny Carey). Tool has a great stageshow, but if you honestly listen to their bootlegs, Maynard is frequently off-key, and Adam improvises a lot which usually doesn't come out that well.

Tool doesnt do nearly the touring that pj does and their sound is much different and less fan engaging than pj. Tools sound is more musically complex and trippy than pj. i wouldnt expect them to move around or engage the crowd. for them its all about the music. the stage production is really top notch too. they use a lot more imagery, lights, lasers and overall show effects than pj. i think that stuff works very well for them. i would never expect pj to have trippy animation and album oriented backdrops behind them during a show. howerver, it absolutely works for tool. thats part of their show and it works because they are truly brilliant. a lot of what tool is about came from maynards military background (went to west point and army prep school). he was also an art major but the guitarist was the biggrest influence on the bands imagery and dark tones. he majored in art and worked in hollywood doing special affects for horror movies like nightmare on elmstreet. thats where the claymation stuff came from in the first album.