Just dont get the fascination with TOOL

Comments

• TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
    seen Tool live and it ranks up there with the worst live shows I've ever seen, while they sounded amazing, they were so boring to watch, Tool may outsell PJ is record sales, but I know they couldn't outsell PJ in tickets.
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
  • i discovered tool when they released 10k days same day as new pj. both cds were displayed next to each other so i grabbed tool kind of as an impulse buy. i wanted to check them out since maynard showed up for the first alice in chains reunion show and was pretty impressed with him. i was exposed to them when undertow came out but was far too into the seattle scene to really get into them. after listening to 10k days i was hooked. i snapped up their other albums and saw em front row at the gorge. they are a fantastic band. they have a very unique sound that really defies any specific genre. you could categorize them as "smart metal", "metal jazz", "acid metal" or just brilliant. they have a heavy sound that never comes across as heavy because of a wide range of musical influences. guitar is a sludged metallica sound with lyrical structures that remind of old rush infused with a bit of punk and far eastern drum sounds. the percussion and bass playing is brilliant and the guitar playing not far behind. maynards stage presence is amazing and hes a very unique front man. i would see them again in a second.

tool isnt for everyone and theres really no comparison to pj except they both are at the top of my playlist and live show experiences. they're both right there with radiohead. ive seen pj live 12 or so times and tool only once. id go out of my way to see both but would much prefer to see tool again.
    shaunmcm wrote:
    i discovered tool when they released 10k days same day as new pj. both cds were displayed next to each other so i grabbed tool kind of as an impulse buy. i wanted to check them out since maynard showed up for the first alice in chains reunion show and was pretty impressed with him. i was exposed to them when undertow came out but was far too into the seattle scene to really get into them. after listening to 10k days i was hooked. i snapped up their other albums and saw em front row at the gorge. they are a fantastic band. they have a very unique sound that really defies any specific genre. you could categorize them as "smart metal", "metal jazz", "acid metal" or just brilliant. they have a heavy sound that never comes across as heavy because of a wide range of musical influences. guitar is a sludged metallica sound with lyrical structures that remind of old rush infused with a bit of punk and far eastern drum sounds. the percussion and bass playing is brilliant and the guitar playing not far behind. maynards stage presence is amazing and hes a very unique front man. i would see them again in a second.

tool isnt for everyone and theres really no comparison to pj except they both are at the top of my playlist and live show experiences. they're both right there with radiohead. ive seen pj live 12 or so times and tool only once. id go out of my way to see both but would much prefer to see tool again.

I just dont see what is so great about their live shows, they looked bored out of their minds when I saw them, and like someone said, there isn't much diversity in their music, and me not knowing anything but the hits made the show suck even worse, it was like paying a band to play the same song over and over
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
  • BuruBuru Posts: 8,473
    And some people probably don't understand our fascination with Pearl Jam...

it's all a matter of taste

I love Tool, I love Pearl Jam more
    y la banda de Guille... cuando toca?
  • TheGossman wrote:
    I just dont see what is so great about their live shows, they looked bored out of their minds when I saw them, and like someone said, there isn't much diversity in their music, and me not knowing anything but the hits made the show suck even worse, it was like paying a band to play the same song over and over
    they put on a totally different show than pj. adam jones doesnt engage the crowd like mccready does. maynard hangs out in the back but he's totally into it. hes not front and center like ed so it doesnt seem like hes as into it. danny carey is clearly one of the best drummers out there. i really dont think we can question that. justin ripped on the bass and didnt engage with the crowd until the last few songs. he kind of reminded me of jonny greenwood, he was so into the music and focused that engaging with the crowd would have detracted him from the music. once he was dialed in then he engaged a bit more. i dont know what to tell you. ive been into music and live shows for 30 years and am very particular about what i get into. i listen to just about everything and not many bands register with me like tool, pj and radiohead. granted, tool is a better small venue band and maybe something is lost in the arena shows. pj is more dialed into the arena venues so maybe that explains why pj is more enjoyable to you. i wouldnt give up on tool though. they are really really good.
  • TheGossman wrote:
    seen Tool live and it ranks up there with the worst live shows I've ever seen, while they sounded amazing, they were so boring to watch, Tool may outsell PJ is record sales, but I know they couldn't outsell PJ in tickets.
    Me too! I was totally into them for a long long time, then I saw them live and I thought: I am not proud to say I am a fan of thiers. So I understand why people enjoy the albums, hell I still do....but I will never never never spend money to see them live. And to me that is what music is all about. So they definately went way down in my book. Very few musicians can sound just as good live as on the record. thank god PJ is one of them...I mean I believe they even sound better live. that is unbelievably rare. You go boys!!!
    "F**K you, I have laundry to do" -ed
  • genevievegenevieve Posts: 1,203
    I love Tool.
    Just went to see them inconcert a few weekends ago.

But I love Pearl Jam more. :D
    the person below me smells like cat pee and raisins...
    humanlight wrote:
    Me too! I was totally into them for a long long time, then I saw them live and I thought: I am not proud to say I am a fan of thiers. So I understand why people enjoy the albums, hell I still do....but I will never never never spend money to see them live. And to me that is what music is all about. So they definately went way down in my book. Very few musicians can sound just as good live as on the record. thank god PJ is one of them...I mean I believe they even sound better live. that is unbelievably rare. You go boys!!!

Tool is also one of those bands, they sound EXACTLY as they do on record were as PJ has jams, and tags, and is better live. Tool is one of those bands I have tried to get into but just never could. Radiohead I am yet to see live but they are right behind PJ to me. PJ evolved more in their first 5 years that Tool has their entire career.
  • tool is decent... but not a legendary band that will stand the test of time and be remembered 30-50 years from now... and still selling their music...pearl jam on the other hand for sure no doubt in my mind will be.... and will outsell rhcp, tool and many others big time by then.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • TheGossman wrote:
    Tool is also one of those bands, they sound EXACTLY as they do on record were as PJ has jams, and tags, and is better live. Tool is one of those bands I have tried to get into but just never could. Radiohead I am yet to see live but they are right behind PJ to me. PJ evolved more in their first 5 years that Tool has their entire career.

Yep, and if I want to hear something exactly like the CD, then I will save my money and listen to the CD. Tool was honestly rude to us. they came to WV and I know they probably had more facinating places they could be, but we are always very thankful when someone comes to our state b/c we honestly don't get much. So the place was packed, and there was never a "thanks for coming" a "hello" or even "goodbye." It was like watching wax people on the stage. maynard never even turned forward the entire concert!! Major turn off for me. At least acknowledge that college students just spend thier last penny to see you and may not be eating until thier next paycheck. Damn!
    "F**K you, I have laundry to do" -ed
  • As I was walking out of the Tool concert in Calgary my brother was asking me if now I realized that they were better than Pearl Jam. He is always pushing bands like that. Anyway I said no, Tool was great but I still think PJ are the best. A girl walking beside us came over with an excited look on her face and said me too. I thought that was pretty funny. It made a pretty good point for my brother as well.
  • The two best bands on the planet right now.
    Nothing more to add.

2000/05/29 Wembley Arena, London, UK
    2006/04/20 The Astoria, London, UK
    2006/08/29 Gelredome, Arnhem, Netherlands
    2007/06/18 Wembley Arena, London, UK
    2009/08/18 O2 Arena, London, UK
    2010/06/25 Hyde Park, London, UK
    2012/06/20 MEN Arena, Manchester, UK
    2012/07/30 Hammersmith Odeon, UK (Eddie Vedder solo show)
    2013/02/10 O2 Academy Islington, UK (Brad)
    2013/09/19 O2 Academy Brixton, UK (Soundgarden)
    2014/07/08 first direct Arena, Leeds, UK
    2014/07/11 MK Bowl, Milton Keynes, UK
    2017/06/06 Hammersmith Odeon, UK (Eddie Vedder solo show)
    2018/07/17 O2 Arena, London, UK
    2022/07/08 Hyde Park, London, UK
    2022/07/09 Hyde Park, London, UK
    2024/06/25 Co-op Live, Manchester, UK
  • RockKing wrote:
    The fascination in large part has to do with the musical genius of the band. I understand why they're not for everyone, but they are masterful musicians who write innovative and unique songs. Few, if any, bands can boast a better drummer than Danny Carey and few bands can boast a better bass player than Justin Chancellor. Tool's music defies structure, time signature, and, many times, logic. Like I said, they're clearly not for everyone, but I'll take Tool over 99% of the bands out there today. They're a quality band that, in a similar fashion to Pearl Jam, shuns status quo and the machine that is big label music.
    that about sums it up for me!
    www.myspace.com/abneriel
  • ToshalaToshala Posts: 200
    me too.....I just saw them last weekend and I was hoping for them to MOVE while on stage. I like my musicians to LOOK like they're as happy to be there as I am, (PJ, Audioslave, RHCP) and MJK DOES get into it, and Danny, well, it's already been said, that guy is fucking amazing, but Justin and Adam are just into their instruments....however Justin was head boppin like crazy so he looked like he was having a good time......we thought the show was fantastic. I'll see them again if I get the chance....own all their cds......true, NOT for everyone.....
  • bgirl59bgirl59 Tucson AZ Posts: 888
    Finally I can ask my Tool question---although I am "getting" the sound, the musical talent is by far some of the best out there-- BUTT WHAT IS WITH THE WEBSITE?
    Thanks!
    PEARL JAM in 2024! Dark Matter and MORE ! THANK YOU!!   
    Peace Love & Pearl Jam forever!!
  • Anybody who says Tool haven't evolved or their songs all sound the same is either deaf, the most impatient person in the world, or has no knowledge of how music works. (period).
    "Should I tell you my room is walled up? In what way might I leave it? Here is how; Goodwill knows no obstacle. Nothing can stand before a deep desire. All I have to do is imagine a door." -Schultz

Trading stories with the leaves instead
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    what if I say all of their new songs are boring and derivative?
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    best 2 rock band of the past 15 years?

pearl jam
    radiohead

by a fucking country 10k mile

oh yeah, and tool is ok, but common lets be frank
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    see, i totally get the fascination people have for TOOL, cause i'm one of those fascinated. their music energises me and calms me when i need it. there is not a part of TOOL that i don't enjoy. danny carey is without peer when it comes to drumming. maynard's words are spot on. justin is solid and adam jones....well he's just.... well....... he's adam jones.
    they're not an easy listen for a lot of people and that's a good thing in my opinion. but listen to them as a whole and let it all just wash over you. i swear, i for one drift off to someplace else. and it's place no one can reach me. peace of mind and centreing my life when it's shitty; that's what i get from TOOL.

plus you know, they have the best tshirts going around. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    O_G_D wrote:
    Pearl Jam is a far more superior band IMO. TOOL does nothing for me. Pearl Jam music will surely stand the test of time against TOOL. I have never seen TOOL live, but i have heard they are good and i probably would enjoy it, but Pearl Jam blows them away IMO in so many different facets. I know this is just strictly an opinion, it just makes me scratch my head when i see a band like TOOL outselling Pearl Jams classic record IMO and getting more radio play. Pearl Jam is working very hard to get the love back from the media and mainstream, but it looks as though some wounds are too deep and they not getting the respect they deserve. I know the band is partially to blame for this, but great work should make an impact regardless of the circumstances. I hope they release COMEBACK. Look the fuck out then. Its not my favourite song off the album, but it would garner huge commercial success and generate interest to new fans and those who are like Pearl Jam had some great music, but are they still around.

dude, just enjoy the music. don't worry about who else and how many are enjoying it, or about how much they are enjoying it.

pearl jam is my all around favorite band. i can pretty much listen to them anytime. and many of their songs never cease to blow me away.

tool is a band i'll only listen to when i'm in the right mood. but they are the best at what they do. pearl jam can't even come close to doing what they do.

likewise, tool couldn't pull off yellow ledbetter or life wasted.
  • bgirl59bgirl59 Tucson AZ Posts: 888
    glasshouse wrote:
    best 2 rock band of the past 15 years?

pearl jam
    radiohead

by a fucking country 10k mile

oh yeah, and tool is ok, but common lets be frank

One small edit --Best 3 bands
    Pearl Jam
    U2
    Radiohead
    PEARL JAM in 2024! Dark Matter and MORE ! THANK YOU!!   
    Peace Love & Pearl Jam forever!!
  • See, for me, I don't get the fascination with U2. Personally I would way rather listen to tool. But that is the thing about music. Different people will like different types of bands. Sometimes on these threads it seems that people expect you to like certain bands because we are on the PJ site. Some examples would be Soundgarden, U2, Bruce Springsteen, etc. But really the only band that it should be expected that we all like would be PJ. Other then them we will all have different opinions and I guess fascinations.
  • See, for me, I don't get the fascination with U2. Personally I would way rather listen to tool. But that is the thing about music. Different people will like different types of bands. Sometimes on these threads it seems that people expect you to like certain bands because we are on the PJ site. Some examples would be Soundgarden, U2, Bruce Springsteen, etc. But really the only band that it should be expected that we all like would be PJ. Other then them we will all have different opinions and I guess fascinations.

Can't argue with that.
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • Echoes wrote:
    what if I say all of their new songs are boring and derivative?

I would say that is not surprising, considering your post history. Then I would refer you to my original post.
    "Should I tell you my room is walled up? In what way might I leave it? Here is how; Goodwill knows no obstacle. Nothing can stand before a deep desire. All I have to do is imagine a door." -Schultz

Trading stories with the leaves instead
  • BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    Why do the bands need to compete for the 'top spot'? Right now we have two incredible bands hitting the top of the mainstream charts and hitting a brand new audience, for me thats cause for celebration.
    I never used to 'get' TOOL, honestly I just did not understand it and now that I am a fan I find it hard to articulate just why they hold my fascination so firmly. If nothing else they ability as musicians is on a level that defies belief, how four men of their calibre met each other and create what they do is beyond luck. Danny Carey is easily one of if not THE (In my head one of his main 'competitors' is Jack Irons, that man is incredible) best drummers alive, his time signatures are jaw dropping.
    As for Maynard, just read the lyrics to Vicarious. I love everything they have done but this song just does something for me.

PEACE
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
  • Tools overated but they got a fuckin good drummer, not as good as Matt but still really good.
    Ten Club member 363***

7/11/06, 8/11/06, 18/11/06

escape is never the safest plan...
  • BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    dan_vedder wrote:
    Tools overated but they got a fuckin good drummer, not as good as Matt but still really good.

Dude Matts a great drummer, and I prefer Pearl Jam but he is not better than Danny Carey.
    And how are TOOL overrated?

PEACE
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
  • Their videos scare me. *shiver* Stinkfist is a good song, but I find them a bit boring.
    ☆amo☆
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    not everything revolves around pearl jam !?????????

so if something isn't as a good as pearl jam its crap?
  • hodgehodge Posts: 519
    dan_vedder wrote:
    Tools overated but they got a fuckin good drummer, not as good as Matt but still really good.

this made me chuckle
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable