Just dont get the fascination with TOOL

O_G_DO_G_D Posts: 542
edited September 2006 in Other Music
Pearl Jam is a far more superior band IMO. TOOL does nothing for me. Pearl Jam music will surely stand the test of time against TOOL. I have never seen TOOL live, but i have heard they are good and i probably would enjoy it, but Pearl Jam blows them away IMO in so many different facets. I know this is just strictly an opinion, it just makes me scratch my head when i see a band like TOOL outselling Pearl Jams classic record IMO and getting more radio play. Pearl Jam is working very hard to get the love back from the media and mainstream, but it looks as though some wounds are too deep and they not getting the respect they deserve. I know the band is partially to blame for this, but great work should make an impact regardless of the circumstances. I hope they release COMEBACK. Look the fuck out then. Its not my favourite song off the album, but it would garner huge commercial success and generate interest to new fans and those who are like Pearl Jam had some great music, but are they still around.
1. Toronto, Ontario 09-21-1996 (MAPLE LEAF GARDENS)
2. Barrie, Ontario 08-22-1998 (MOLSON PARK)
3. Toronto, Ontario 10-05-2000 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
4. Toronto, Ontario 06-28-2003 (MOLSON AMPHITHEATRE)
5. Boston, Massachusetts 09-28-2004 FLEET CENTER (NOW TD GARDEN) VFC TOUR
6. Boston, Massachusetts 09-28-2004 FLEET CENTER (NOW TD GARDEN) VFC TOUR
7. Hamilton, Ontario 09-13-2005 (COPPS COLISEUM)
8. Toronto, Ontario 09-19-2005 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
9. St. Johns, Newfoundland 09-24-2005 (MILE ONE)
10. St. Johns, Newfoundland 09-25-2005 (MILE ONE)
11. Toronto, Ontario 05-09-2006 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
12. Toronto, Ontario 05-09-2006 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
13. Sydney, Australia 11-07-2006 (ACER ARENA)
14. Sydney, Australia 11-08-2006 (ACER ARENA)
15. Melbourne, Australia 11-13-2006 (ROD LAVER ARENA)
16. Melbourne, Australia 11-14-2006 (ROD LAVER ARENA)
17. Adelaide, Australia 11-21-2006 (ADELAIDE ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE)
18. Adelaide, Australia 11-22-2006 (ADELAIDE ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE)
19. Perth, Australia 11-25-2006 (SUBIACO OVAL)
20. New York, New York 06-24-2008 (MADISON SQUARE GARDEN)
21. New York, New York 06-25-2008 (MADISON SQUARE GARDEN)
22. Toronto, Ontario 08-21-2009 (MOLSON AMPITHEATRE)
23. Buffalo, New York 05-10-2010 (HSBC ARENA)
24. Toronto, Ontario 09-11-2011 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
25. Toronto, Ontario 09-12-2011 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
26. Hamilton, Ontario 09-15-2011 (COPPS COLISEUM)
27. London, Ontario 07-16-2013 (BUDWEISER GARDENS)
28. Buffalo, New York 10-12-2013 (FIRST NIAGARA CENTER) FORMERLY HSBC ARENA
29. Detroit, Michigan 10-16-2014 (JOE LOUIS ARENA)
30. Ottawa, Ontario 5-8-2016 (CANADIAN TIRE CENTRE)
31. Toronto, Ontario 5-10-2016 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
32. Toronto, Ontario 5-12-2016 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• O_G_D wrote:
    Pearl Jam is a far more superior band IMO. TOOL does nothing for me. Pearl Jam music will surely stand the test of time against TOOL. I have never seen TOOL live, but i have heard they are good and i probably would enjoy it, but Pearl Jam blows them away IMO in so many different facets. I know this is just strictly an opinion, it just makes me scratch my head when i see a band like TOOL outselling Pearl Jams classic record IMO and getting more radio play. Pearl Jam is working very hard to get the love back from the media and mainstream, but it looks as though some wounds are too deep and they not getting the respect they deserve. I know the band is partially to blame for this, but great work should make an impact regardless of the circumstances. I hope they release COMEBACK. Look the fuck out then. Its not my favourite song off the album, but it would garner huge commercial success and generate interest to new fans and those who are like Pearl Jam had some great music, but are they still around.

that's why they say IMO's are like assholes.
    everyone has one.
  • pjfanmanpjfanman Posts: 84
    O_G_D wrote:

How are they not getting the respect they deserve? They are doing good commercially right now. They are not out selling Tool or RHCP but they are still doing very well at the moment.
  • LabyrinthLabyrinth Posts: 25
    After owning all of Tools albums & listening to them repeatedly.. I agree I definitely don't understand peoples fascination with them. Pearl Jam will go down in history more.
  • exolsticeexolstice Posts: 85
    Tool rocks, but I prefer PJ. At least they're not getting outsold by some shitty rap artist. Oh wait... Are they? Fuck.
  • exolstice wrote:
    Tool rocks, but I prefer PJ. At least they're not getting outsold by some shitty rap artist. Oh wait... Are they? Fuck.

or Nick Lachey :rolleyes:
    ************EVENFLOW PSYCHO#41************

http://www.powdermag.com/features/news/jackson-hole-tram/index.html

Make sure you pay a visit to the Tram before it goes......
  • exolsticeexolstice Posts: 85
    or Nick Lachey :rolleyes:

OMG! But he's such a hottie!!! *vomits*
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    Pearl Jam has outsold Tool a few times over as far as career numbers, and S/T is doin better on the charts than 10k Days, and deservedly so. Aenima and Lateralus are amazing and deserve tons of sales(more than what they have), but in the long run, Tool's lack of production will hurt them. Every time PJ gets a new fan, they go out and buy a minimum of 10 albums. New Tool fans buy a maximum of 5
  • i said the same thing recently. not feelin the type of music they put out.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • RockKingRockKing Posts: 431
    The fascination in large part has to do with the musical genius of the band. I understand why they're not for everyone, but they are masterful musicians who write innovative and unique songs. Few, if any, bands can boast a better drummer than Danny Carey and few bands can boast a better bass player than Justin Chancellor. Tool's music defies structure, time signature, and, many times, logic. Like I said, they're clearly not for everyone, but I'll take Tool over 99% of the bands out there today. They're a quality band that, in a similar fashion to Pearl Jam, shuns status quo and the machine that is big label music.
    --"I'm like an opening band for the sun"

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH
  • JamnPearlJamnPearl Posts: 204
    Pearl Jam is actually getting slightly better reviews than 10,000 Days. Tool is a much much more popular band these days, and thier popularity will probably only grow. It doest look like PJ's popularity is on the rise again though.

But, I don't agree with hardly any of your post. Tool is far and away my favorite band. I don't think any other album I have (including Tool albums) comes near Lateralus. Of course it's my opinion, but I think Lateralus is a perfect album, and I never get tired of listening to it.
    JamnPearl wrote:
    It doest look like PJ's popularity is on the rise again though.

And what planet are you living on exactly??
    And Tool is definitely not a "much, much" more popular band these days. I didn't see Vicarious becoming a number 1 single.
  • O_G_DO_G_D Posts: 542
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    Pearl Jam has outsold Tool a few times over as far as career numbers, and S/T is doin better on the charts than 10k Days, and deservedly so. Aenima and Lateralus are amazing and deserve tons of sales(more than what they have), but in the long run, Tool's lack of production will hurt them. Every time PJ gets a new fan, they go out and buy a minimum of 10 albums. New Tool fans buy a maximum of 5

when u tell me ill prob feel like an idiot, but iw wont be the first time or the last
    1. Toronto, Ontario 09-21-1996 (MAPLE LEAF GARDENS)
    2. Barrie, Ontario 08-22-1998 (MOLSON PARK)
    3. Toronto, Ontario 10-05-2000 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
    4. Toronto, Ontario 06-28-2003 (MOLSON AMPHITHEATRE)
    5. Boston, Massachusetts 09-28-2004 FLEET CENTER (NOW TD GARDEN) VFC TOUR
    6. Boston, Massachusetts 09-28-2004 FLEET CENTER (NOW TD GARDEN) VFC TOUR
    7. Hamilton, Ontario 09-13-2005 (COPPS COLISEUM)
    8. Toronto, Ontario 09-19-2005 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
    9. St. Johns, Newfoundland 09-24-2005 (MILE ONE)
    10. St. Johns, Newfoundland 09-25-2005 (MILE ONE)
    11. Toronto, Ontario 05-09-2006 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
    12. Toronto, Ontario 05-09-2006 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
    13. Sydney, Australia 11-07-2006 (ACER ARENA)
    14. Sydney, Australia 11-08-2006 (ACER ARENA)
    15. Melbourne, Australia 11-13-2006 (ROD LAVER ARENA)
    16. Melbourne, Australia 11-14-2006 (ROD LAVER ARENA)
    17. Adelaide, Australia 11-21-2006 (ADELAIDE ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE)
    18. Adelaide, Australia 11-22-2006 (ADELAIDE ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE)
    19. Perth, Australia 11-25-2006 (SUBIACO OVAL)
    20. New York, New York 06-24-2008 (MADISON SQUARE GARDEN)
    21. New York, New York 06-25-2008 (MADISON SQUARE GARDEN)
    22. Toronto, Ontario 08-21-2009 (MOLSON AMPITHEATRE)
    23. Buffalo, New York 05-10-2010 (HSBC ARENA)
    24. Toronto, Ontario 09-11-2011 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
    25. Toronto, Ontario 09-12-2011 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
    26. Hamilton, Ontario 09-15-2011 (COPPS COLISEUM)
    27. London, Ontario 07-16-2013 (BUDWEISER GARDENS)
    28. Buffalo, New York 10-12-2013 (FIRST NIAGARA CENTER) FORMERLY HSBC ARENA
    29. Detroit, Michigan 10-16-2014 (JOE LOUIS ARENA)
    30. Ottawa, Ontario 5-8-2016 (CANADIAN TIRE CENTRE)
    31. Toronto, Ontario 5-10-2016 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
    32. Toronto, Ontario 5-12-2016 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)

O_G_D wrote:
    when u tell me ill prob feel like an idiot, but iw wont be the first time or the last

Self-titled. But he's wrong. PJ8 is not outselling 10,000 Days.

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH
  • gmcabralgmcabral Posts: 50
    RockKing wrote:
    The fascination in large part has to do with the musical genius of the band. I understand why they're not for everyone, but they are masterful musicians who write innovative and unique songs. Few, if any, bands can boast a better drummer than Danny Carey and few bands can boast a better bass player than Justin Chancellor. Tool's music defies structure, time signature, and, many times, logic. Like I said, they're clearly not for everyone, but I'll take Tool over 99% of the bands out there today. They're a quality band that, in a similar fashion to Pearl Jam, shuns status quo and the machine that is big label music.

i think that's the best description of a band i've ever heard. you hit it right on the head. very well done. i'm a fan of both bands. they are apples and oranges to me. but you are certainly right about Tool and their talent.
    RockKing wrote:

it is catching up though
    Labyrinth wrote:
    it is catching up though

Worldwide? I don't know the worldwide sales numbers. But it's not catching up in the US at all. In fact, it's losing ground and falling down the charts faster than 10,000 Days. Not to mention the fact that 10,000 Days doubled PJ8 in the first week sales. Look, Pearl Jam is hands down my favorite band ever. But Tool is just a more popular band right now.

gmcabral wrote:
    i think that's the best description of a band i've ever heard. you hit it right on the head. very well done. i'm a fan of both bands. they are apples and oranges to me. but you are certainly right about Tool and their talent.

Thanks. I am also a big fan of both bands. It seems like a lot of Pearl Jam fans are threatened by Tool's success. To me, I'm perfectly ok with PJ's popularity level right now. I like going to concerts that are packed with fucking DIE HARD fans who are singing along to every word and not a bunch of frat boys who are there because it's the cool thing to do. Like I always say, Tool is not going to make sense to everyone, but there's no reason for all the Tool bashing that's been going on here.

And by the way, I'm not saying this thread is Tool bashing. This is a very respectful thread. But I've seen a LOT of posts just mindlessly bashing Tool lately and I really don't get why. Even if you don't like their music, I would at least think you would certainly respect the band.

RockKing wrote:
    Worldwide? I don't know the worldwide sales numbers. But it's not catching up in the US at all.

You're wrong.

http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/sales/salescht.cgi

2nd week sales? 10,000 Days dropped by 71%, Pearl Jam dropped by 70%

3rd week sales? 10,000 Days dropped by 49%, Pearl Jam dropped by 37%

It's maintaining higher consistency. Near the end of 2007, Pearl Jam will be close to selling more, or already would've.
  • shaunmcmshaunmcm Posts: 20
    Tool is an amazingly brilliant band. I don't think there's any other band who blends Metallica guitar and drum beats with industrial, musical arrangements reminiscent of old Rush albums with African beats. It's really cutting edge music. I put 10k days on in the car fully expecting my wife not to like it. After 6 songs or so I realized she was totally into it. I could never get away with that with any other hard edged band like Tool. the difference is there's so much going on musically that the hard edge just goes away and you get caught up in the musical orchestration of the whole thing. Its just brilliant, but you know what, PJ rawks too and since this isnt a contest, they both win!
    Labyrinth wrote:
    You're wrong.

http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/sales/salescht.cgi

2nd week sales? 10,000 Days dropped by 71%, Pearl Jam dropped by 70%

3rd week sales? 10,000 Days dropped by 49%, Pearl Jam dropped by 37%

It's maintaining higher consistency. Near the end of 2007, Pearl Jam will be close to selling more, or already would've.

You're talking percentages. Tool debuted at 1 and has held steady at 3 the next 2 weeks. Pearl Jam debuted at 2, dropped to 8, and now dropped to 10. Tool has outsold Pearl Jam in raw album sales every week so far. That is not catching up.

Week 1 to 2:

Tool: Week 1 - ~700,000 sold reduced by 71% = 203,000 sold = 903,000 total

Pearl Jam: Week ~300,000 sold reduced by 70% = 90,000 sold = 390,000 total

After one week PJ trailed by ~400,000 albums. After 2 weeks they trailed by 513,000 albums. The gap is widening.

RockKing wrote:
    You're talking percentages. Tool debuted at 1 and has held steady at 3 the next 2 weeks. Pearl Jam debuted at 2, dropped to 8, and now dropped to 10. Tool has outsold Pearl Jam in raw album sales every week so far. That is not catching up.

Week 1 to 2:

Tool: Week 1 - ~700,000 sold reduced by 71% = 203,000 sold = 903,000 total

Pearl Jam: Week ~300,000 sold reduced by 70% = 90,000 sold = 390,000 total

After one week PJ trailed by ~400,000 albums. After 2 weeks they trailed by 513,000 albums. The gap is widening.

You're wrong. It means every week theres less of a gap than there originally was. Which means Pearl Jam will maintain higher consistency & eventually the week will happen where Pearl Jam will be selling more copies than 10,000 Days. You're wrong. Hits Daily Double proves it. You're wrong.
  • BezdelnikBezdelnik Posts: 13
    I love Tool and think Aenema (or however it's spelled) and Lateralus (or however that's spelled) are brilliant. Comparing them to PJ is nearly impossible. After listening to 10,000 Days I think Tool took a step sideways. This disc does very little for me and is like a worse version of Lateralus. Tool may stand on the brilliance of two discs where as PJ has no less than 5 (Ten, Verses, Vitalogy, No Code, Yield.... maybe Pearl Jam). So I see PJ has the best bet for longetivity. Tool has it for originality.
    "You're all here and it shows that you have faith in us"
    - Detroit '06
    Labyrinth wrote:
    You're wrong. It means every week theres less of a gap than there originally was. Which means Pearl Jam will maintain higher consistency & eventually the week will happen where Pearl Jam will be selling more copies than 10,000 Days. You're wrong. Hits Daily Double proves it. You're wrong.

Um, ok. The numbers don't lie. PJ is falling down the chart faster than Tool is. The gap in album sales is growing larger as I demonstrated. I don't know how to explain it any clearer.

shaunmcm wrote:
    PJ rawks too and since this isnt a contest, they both win!

Amen to that brother.

Labyrinth wrote:

You need to realize, those percentages aren't a percentage of the same number. Tool's percentages are based on a MUCH larger number of total album sales, ie. 50% is less than 70% you would say. But I'm saying that 50% of 1 million is 500,00 while 70% of 100 is 70, so in that case, the 50% is larger than 70%. I hope this clears it up.

RockKing wrote:
    Um, ok. The numbers don't lie. PJ is falling down the chart faster than Tool is. The gap in album sales is growing larger as I demonstrated. I don't know how to explain it any clearer.

Maybe you're too stupid to understand. There's a bigger gap in the percentages of each week for Tool than there is for Pearl Jam. Eventually Pearl Jam will outsell 10,000 Days because its more consistant in selling. I provided the link to prove that. Maybe you need to go look again. Especially since there isnt 1 other song on 10,000 Days that would make a good single, whereas theres many on Pearl Jam. You're wrong. Consistency is what sells albums & Pearl Jam is catching up & percentages proves it.

I'm not guessing Pearl Jam will outsell 10,000 Days by 2007, I'm telling you.
  • LizardkingLizardking Posts: 936
    Just because a band "Isn't PJ" don't hate them. Tool has always had a sound of there own. Maynard is amazing. I always thought hanging out with Ed & Maynard would be a great night!! Very interesting artist
    Lizardking

http://www.myspace.com/lizardkings1

(This Post May Have Been Edited By AT&T)
    Labyrinth wrote:
    percentages proves it.

I'm not guessing Pearl Jam will outsell 10,000 Days by 2007, I'm telling you.

Percentages are the most easy way to manipulate numbers. Any statistician knows this. Like I said, 1% is possible to be 5 times bigger than 99% if your sample set is not equal.

And don't call me stupid. There's no reason to be insulting on this board.

• Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    RockKing wrote:

edited for wrongness.

I know I seen a chart somewhere where Pearl Jam was ahead of Tool.