Just dont get the fascination with TOOL

Comments

• LabyrinthLabyrinth Posts: 25
    RockKing wrote:
    Percentages are the most easy way to manipulate numbers. Any statistician knows this. Like I said, 1% is possible to be 5 times bigger than 99% if your sample set is not equal.

And don't call me stupid. There's no reason to be insulting on this board.

You're wrong. I provided proof. My proof doesn't lie. Because of the difference each week in sales, it means that Pearl Jam IS starting to catch up because of percentages. Will Tool still be selling more if they drop 30% & Pearl Jam has +5%? What about when Pearl Jam has +20% & Tool has dropped 40%? You're wrong. Pearl Jam is catching up. I provided proof. My proof doesn't lie.
  • RockKingRockKing Posts: 431
    Somebody please step in and back me up here.

Week 1:

1. Tool ~700,000 total
    2. Pearl Jam ~300,000 total
    Gap=~400,000 total

Week 2:

3. Tool ~903,000 total
    8. Pearl Jam ~390,000 total
    Gap=~513,000 total

Week 3:

3. Tool ~1,010,730 total
    10. Pearl Jam ~443,489 total
    Gap=~567,241 total

How exactly, is that catching up to Tool? Is this really so hard to comprehend??? You can say that the rate at which Tool is outselling Pearl Jam is slowing down, and that is true. But that is not the same as catching up. In order to be catching up, Pearl Jam would have to be outselling Tool, which they haven't come close to doing in any week yet.
    --"I'm like an opening band for the sun"

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH
  • cubbieblue82cubbieblue82 Posts: 292
    First of all, I love both bands, and I don't think the success of 1 in any way effects the other band. On top of that, Tool has, and always will have, a huge core of diehard fans(Not that PJ doesn't). Come on, Tool is the modern day Pink Floyd/King Crimson what about that makes them a target of insult on this board.

To be honest, I think that people should be happy that such an artistic band as Tool is having such commercial success when we are used to the rock charts being dominated by bands like Puddle of Crap, and Nickelback.

The 2 bands are musically apples and oranges, but they share the fact that they have both followed their own artistic inspiration throughout their careers regardless of commercial pressures. Quit knocking Tool, and quit trying to compare 2 bands that are completely different.

By the way, RockKing is 100% ;) right in his math. Calling him stupid is pretty, well, stupid. Maybe you should revisit grade school math before getting into this kind of argument.
    Obama/Biden '08!!!
    Labyrinth wrote:
    You're wrong. I provided proof. My proof doesn't lie. Because of the difference each week in sales, it means that Pearl Jam IS starting to catch up because of percentages. Will Tool still be selling more if they drop 30% & Pearl Jam has +5%? What about when Pearl Jam has +20% & Tool has dropped 40%? You're wrong. Pearl Jam is catching up. I provided proof. My proof doesn't lie.

Ok, now I see you're not really trying to argue anything. You're just saying 'You're wrong' over and over again in an attempt to piss me off. It's not going to work because I don't care. If you want to believe that Pearl Jam is outselling Tool, you go right ahead and do that. Write to me in 5 years. Tell me where the album sales stand then.

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH
    By the way, RockKing is 100% ;) right in his math. Calling him stupid is pretty, well, stupid. Maybe you should revisit grade school math before getting into this kind of argument.

THANK YOU!!! Finally somebody else speaks up.

Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    edited for wrongness.

I know I seen a chart somewhere where Pearl Jam was ahead of Tool.

No problem. Happens to all of us.

• Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    RockKing wrote:

Week 1:

1. Tool ~700,000 total
    Gap=~400,000 total

Week 2:

3. Tool ~903,000 total
    Gap=~513,000 total

Week 3:

3. Tool ~1,010,730 total
    Gap=~567,241 total

How exactly, is that catching up to Tool? Is this really so hard to comprehend??? You can say that the rate at which Tool is outselling Pearl Jam is slowing down, and that is true. But that is not the same as catching up. In order to be catching up, Pearl Jam would have to be outselling Tool, which they haven't come close to doing in any week yet.

Well, in a way they are catchin them, but in another they are not.

Tool isnt gonna attract many new buyers. Pearl Jam has way more potential to.
  • whoYOUarewhoYOUare Posts: 274
    Tool os a solid band. i was definately into that scene back in the day, but progressed with PJs music over hte long term. I own all the Tool records, and they are all really good. They are unique (in a way the Primus is) and that speaks for itself. This new record (so far) feels like all the old tricks recycled but is still a solid effort. I bought Lateralus and dug it for a while, but Aenema has to be one of the best records to come out of the 90s. They are an aquired taste, kinda like red wine, and when you "get it" Tool is well worth the price of the CD.
    peace
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    Well, in a way they are catchin them. Tool isnt gonna attract many new buyers. Pearl Jam will.

Well, that's a theory. It's certainly possible. But until Pearl Jam outsells Tool in a given week, the gap between the 2 will keep widening, which is not catching up. It's losing ground. It's just losing ground at a slower rate.

Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    Well, in a way they are catchin them, but in another they are not.

Tool isnt gonna attract many new buyers. Pearl Jam has way more potential to.

See that rockking? You're wrong. I'm right. My proof doesn't lie. Bubbleblue82 is wrong too. My proof puts up a good fight to the last punch. My punch doesn't lie.
  • O_G_DO_G_D Posts: 542
    RockKing wrote:
    Worldwide? I don't know the worldwide sales numbers. But it's not catching up in the US at all. In fact, it's losing ground and falling down the charts faster than 10,000 Days. Not to mention the fact that 10,000 Days doubled PJ8 in the first week sales. Look, Pearl Jam is hands down my favorite band ever. But Tool is just a more popular band right now.

How could it be so. PJ is so much better and well long outlive Tool.
    1. Toronto, Ontario 09-21-1996 (MAPLE LEAF GARDENS)
    2. Barrie, Ontario 08-22-1998 (MOLSON PARK)
    3. Toronto, Ontario 10-05-2000 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
    4. Toronto, Ontario 06-28-2003 (MOLSON AMPHITHEATRE)
    5. Boston, Massachusetts 09-28-2004 FLEET CENTER (NOW TD GARDEN) VFC TOUR
    6. Boston, Massachusetts 09-28-2004 FLEET CENTER (NOW TD GARDEN) VFC TOUR
    7. Hamilton, Ontario 09-13-2005 (COPPS COLISEUM)
    8. Toronto, Ontario 09-19-2005 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
    9. St. Johns, Newfoundland 09-24-2005 (MILE ONE)
    10. St. Johns, Newfoundland 09-25-2005 (MILE ONE)
    11. Toronto, Ontario 05-09-2006 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
    12. Toronto, Ontario 05-09-2006 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
    13. Sydney, Australia 11-07-2006 (ACER ARENA)
    14. Sydney, Australia 11-08-2006 (ACER ARENA)
    15. Melbourne, Australia 11-13-2006 (ROD LAVER ARENA)
    16. Melbourne, Australia 11-14-2006 (ROD LAVER ARENA)
    17. Adelaide, Australia 11-21-2006 (ADELAIDE ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE)
    18. Adelaide, Australia 11-22-2006 (ADELAIDE ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE)
    19. Perth, Australia 11-25-2006 (SUBIACO OVAL)
    20. New York, New York 06-24-2008 (MADISON SQUARE GARDEN)
    21. New York, New York 06-25-2008 (MADISON SQUARE GARDEN)
    22. Toronto, Ontario 08-21-2009 (MOLSON AMPITHEATRE)
    23. Buffalo, New York 05-10-2010 (HSBC ARENA)
    24. Toronto, Ontario 09-11-2011 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
    25. Toronto, Ontario 09-12-2011 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
    26. Hamilton, Ontario 09-15-2011 (COPPS COLISEUM)
    27. London, Ontario 07-16-2013 (BUDWEISER GARDENS)
    28. Buffalo, New York 10-12-2013 (FIRST NIAGARA CENTER) FORMERLY HSBC ARENA
    29. Detroit, Michigan 10-16-2014 (JOE LOUIS ARENA)
    30. Ottawa, Ontario 5-8-2016 (CANADIAN TIRE CENTRE)
    31. Toronto, Ontario 5-10-2016 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
    32. Toronto, Ontario 5-12-2016 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    If I were to get into Tool, what album should I get, Laterus?sp
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Labyrinth wrote:
    You're wrong. It means every week theres less of a gap than there originally was. Which means Pearl Jam will maintain higher consistency & eventually the week will happen where Pearl Jam will be selling more copies than 10,000 Days. You're wrong. Hits Daily Double proves it. You're wrong.

This is just a stupid post. YOU are the one who is wrong, and your evidence is working against you. Even if Tool's album sales decrease at a higher percentage than Pj's it doesn't matter because they're starting with a much higher number of raw album sales, so a higher percentage drop in sales iwll still mean they have more total sales than PJ. Your logic doesn't work.
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    tool is a brilliant band. just like pearl jam they polarise opinion. they are a love them or hate them band like pearl jam. so, as much as you don't seem to appreciate their talent there are a lot of rock fans out there with a serious distaste for pearl jam's music. anyway i like tool's music but i don't agree with their message at all.
    by the way it is weird to think that you love pj and can't at least appreciate the songcraft of songs like
    eulogy
    hooker with a penis
    fourty six and two......just thinking aenima
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
    RockKing wrote:

Week 1:

1. Tool ~700,000 total
    Gap=~400,000 total

Week 2:

3. Tool ~903,000 total
    Gap=~513,000 total

Week 3:

3. Tool ~1,010,730 total
    Gap=~567,241 total

By the way, I don't know where you got that information, but it's pretty wrong. Tool sold roughly 560k their first week, not 700,000

If you're talking worldwide sales, Pearl Jam has sold way more than 443,489 total

Its as if you're counting worldwide sales for Tool, & only American sales for Pearl Jam
    If I were to get into Tool, what album should I get, Laterus?sp

I would recommend them in the following order:

1. Undertow
    2. Aenima
    3. Opiate
    4. Lateralus
    5. 10,000 Days

I think it would be a mistake to start with Lateralus. You need to hear the progression that led to Lateralus.

• Labyrinth wrote:
    Maybe you're too stupid to understand. There's a bigger gap in the percentages of each week for Tool than there is for Pearl Jam. Eventually Pearl Jam will outsell 10,000 Days because its more consistant in selling. I provided the link to prove that. Maybe you need to go look again. Especially since there isnt 1 other song on 10,000 Days that would make a good single, whereas theres many on Pearl Jam. You're wrong. Consistency is what sells albums & Pearl Jam is catching up & percentages proves it.

I'm not guessing Pearl Jam will outsell 10,000 Days by 2007, I'm telling you.

You need to lay off this guy. A) he obviously has much more knowledge of statistics than you do (and it doesn't take a genius to understand what he's saying) b) PJ's sales are going to continue to decrease along with Tool's. Tool's album sales are not going to drop off the face of the earth while PJ's reach some plateau and stay there. I like PJ more, but their album will not outsell Tool's. If you don't believe me, get back to me in a couple of years...
    O_G_D wrote:
    How could it be so. PJ is so much better and well long outlive Tool.

It's just a matter of what's popular right now. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Like I said, we are a more close-knit and loyal fan base. Our numbers are just smaller than some bands.

You need to lay off this guy. A) he obviously has much more knowledge of statistics than you do (and it doesn't take a genius to understand what he's saying) b) PJ's sales are going to continue to decrease along with Tool's. Tool's album sales are not going to drop off the face of the earth while PJ's reach some plateau and stay there. I like PJ more, but their album will not outsell Tool's. If you don't believe me, get back to me in a couple of years...

Thank you. It was like I had slipped into some bizarro-world there for a while.

• Tool is good in their own way. Vicarious is one of the best rock songs I have heard lately!!! Absolutely ROCKS!!!!!!

p.s. Also, why is the Tool album produced so much better than PJ's? It sounds crisper, clearer, ...
  • Labyrinth wrote:
    See that rockking? You're wrong. I'm right. My proof doesn't lie. Bubbleblue82 is wrong too. My proof puts up a good fight to the last punch. My punch doesn't lie.

That post doesn't say that you're right. It just provides some explanation of what's happening. You need to get off your high and mighty horse. Like Rockking has been saying, until PJ outsells Tool in a given week, they're simply losing ground at a slower pace, WHICH IS NOT CATCHING UP. Just because you researched something and you feel proud of it doesn't mean that you're right. Go back to school and take a stats class.
    Tool is good in their own way. Vicarious is one of the best rock songs I have heard lately!!! Absolutely ROCKS!!!!!!

p.s. Also, why is the Tool album produced so much better than PJ's? It sounds crisper, clearer, ...

Frankly, I think Brendan O'Brien was a much better producer than Adam Kasper. Vs through Yield all sounded amazing. I've felt the last 3 albums have been slightly under produced. It doesn't take away from my enjoyment of the music, though. PJ8 has some of the best PJ songs of all time, in my opinion.

• RockKing wrote:
    Thank you. It was like I had slipped into some bizarro-world there for a while.

I know, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!
  • Listen to a song like Push It ...maybe you will understand....
    "It was a kind of a sick, disturbed rock opera - if Nietzsche were to write a rock opera,"-Jeff Ament about Eddie's first three songs

I've had enough, said enough, felt enough, I'm fine now.
    Push me pull me. See ya later

<present tense inhabiter #0003 & Even Flow psycho #0036>
  • O_G_D wrote:
    I hope they release COMEBACK.

NO NO NO!!!! FUCKING NO!!!! commercial mainstream freak...go and listen to your Brintey Spears records ass hole!
    "It was a kind of a sick, disturbed rock opera - if Nietzsche were to write a rock opera,"-Jeff Ament about Eddie's first three songs

I've had enough, said enough, felt enough, I'm fine now.
    Push me pull me. See ya later

<present tense inhabiter #0003 & Even Flow psycho #0036>
    This is just a stupid post. YOU are the one who is wrong, and your evidence is working against you. Even if Tool's album sales decrease at a higher percentage than Pj's it doesn't matter because they're starting with a much higher number of raw album sales, so a higher percentage drop in sales iwll still mean they have more total sales than PJ. Your logic doesn't work.

It seems a lot of you arent quite intelligent enough to understand. So I'm going to have to dumb things down for a lot of you.

Tool is still selling more albums than Pearl Jam... We agree on that, right?

Would you agree that percentage wise 37% to 49% is better than 70% to 71%... Right?

So what happens then if Pearl Jam goes to 5% lower, & Tool is down 60%? Not much of a gap anymore, right? Would you agree then that Pearl Jam will be selling the same amount of albums that week as Tool.. Right? If Tool is down 60% in the future & Pearl Jam is only down 5%... Right?

So what happens if every week for the rest of the year.. Pearl Jam maintains maybe a +5% to a 10% drop... Whereas Tools percentages keep dropping at 50%?

Would Tool then be selling more albums than Pearl Jam?... No... So right now, even though Tool is selling more.. Since there is a smaller gap than there was the first or second week... Pearl Jams album is being more *CONSISTANT* in sales, right?

Exactly... I really had to dumb things down for all of you there.
    Labyrinth wrote:
    Would you agree that percentage wise 37% to 49% is better than 70% to 71%... Right?

Not necessarily. It depends on what you are taking those percentages out of.
    Labyrinth wrote:
    So what happens then if Pearl Jam goes to 5% lower, & Tool is down 60%? Not much of a gap anymore, right? Would you agree then that Pearl Jam will be selling the same amount of albums that week as Tool.. Right? If Tool is down 60% in the future & Pearl Jam is only down 5%... Right?

So what happens if every week for the rest of the year.. Pearl Jam maintains maybe a +5% to a 10% drop... Whereas Tools percentages keep dropping at 50%?

This hasn't happened and there's no evidence to suggest it will happen.
    Labyrinth wrote:
    Since there is a smaller gap than there was the first or second week... Pearl Jams album is being more *CONSISTANT* in sales, right?

There is not a smaller gap. Every week Tool has sold more than Pearl Jam. Therefore, every week the gap in total album sales has grown. There is a bigger gap between the 2 albums now than there was after week 1.

And with that, I'm done with this thread. Ignorance must be true bliss.

• Labyrinth wrote:
    It seems a lot of you arent quite intelligent enough to understand. So I'm going to have to dumb things down for a lot of you.

Tool is still selling more albums than Pearl Jam... We agree on that, right?

Would Tool then be selling more albums than Pearl Jam?... No... So right now, even though Tool is selling more.. Since there is a smaller gap than there was the first or second week... Pearl Jams album is being more *CONSISTANT* in sales, right?

Exactly... I really had to dumb things down for all of you there.

This all works assuming that Pj is going to stay basically where they are and Tool will continue to drop by fairly massive percentages. What makes you think this will be the case? Like Rockking said, there's no evidence to suggest this will be the case. That is where I don't agree with your theory. While agree that PJ will have good long-term success, I don't understand why you think they will drop at considerable rates while Pj doesn't. And don't act like you are some genius here teaching preschoolers. I understood your theory from the beginning... I just don't agree with it.
    RockKing wrote:
    Not necessarily. It depends on what you are taking those percentages out of.

This hasn't happened and there's no evidence to suggest it will happen.

There is not a smaller gap. Every week Tool has sold more than Pearl Jam. Therefore, every week the gap in total album sales has grown. There is a bigger gap between the 2 albums now than there was after week 1.

And with that, I'm done with this thread. Ignorance must be true bliss.

How STUPID do you have to be to think that there is no virtually no difference between 70% - 71% to 37%-49%?

That is going from a 1% difference, to a 12% difference.. & you think thats close? It's NOT close, it DOES mean theres less of a difference every week

Every WEEK there is a SMALLER gap of album sales for that week between Pearl Jam & Tool than there was the first week

Dude, what is WRONG with your brain?

Ignorance MUST be true bliss, I agree
    This all works assuming that Pj is going to stay basically where they are and Tool will continue to drop by fairly massive percentages. What makes you think this will be the case? Like Rockking said, there's no evidence to suggest this will be the case. That is where I don't agree with your theory. While agree that PJ will have good long-term success, I don't understand why you think they will drop at considerable rates while Pj doesn't. And don't act like you are some genius here teaching preschoolers. I understood your theory from the beginning... I just don't agree with it.

The evidence is already happening, whats wrong with you people? The 3rd week sales prove its starting to happen

Also there is virtually no other song on 10,000 Days that could be a successful single... Pearl Jam is filled with them - Pearl Jam could release at least 5 more successful singles whereas I cant see Tool releasing one.