Vedder look out for Daughtry, he has set the new standard.

Comments

• Well, he's now rich and famous, and we are still here on the same ol message board. And actually I think he's the best thing to come out of american idol.

Eh, he'll be back delivering pizzas soon, and not getting tipped when he delivers to sappersunk.
  • Jellyrolls wrote:
    Did I ever say that I liked Nickelback? Actually I despise them, but I respect them for working hard and being one of the biggest selling rock bands of this decade. BTW, I would LOVE for you to prove that they make terrible music. It is our opinion that Nickelback does not make good music, but there are many people who like the songs that they put out. Almost all of my friends listen to and like Nickelback, but does that make me thing that they are stupid? No, that is just what they like.

no its not all opinion.

Musically their music is as basic as the color white.
    Get a good voice
    obviously they take care of that first
    than the searching ends.
    Why not take the same process for the rest of the pieces of the music.
    They obviosly want to find a voice, the rest is almost computer generated.

These other bands look for certain sounds and have an idea than lightning strikes.
    You have 4 people deciding on not only music but how they will be percieved, than they go out and try.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • Jellyrolls wrote:
    I would love to see the bands that are praised on this board to have their songs played on the radio all of the time, and be very popular. It would be amusing to see 50% of this board start bashing them for it.

cmon a large majority of us use to listen to radio all the time when it was good.
    blind statement.
    i wish it would get good

no more shows
  • Jellyrolls wrote:
    They are liked by a lot of people, but I RARELY see them on TV or hear them on the radio. They are not near as popular as Nickelback, Hinder, ect.

are you serious

they are the reason radio went as far as it did for nicklebck to even make the push, they did come up thru the ranks

those bands own radio brother.
    They may not get played on pop channels but in most regoins they still have their own channels 40 years later. they have walked the walk and are byond what we are talking about

no more shows
  • iluvcats wrote:
    I like alot of bands. PJ are absolutely my favorite, but I'm not going to follow them around the globe. I don't go out alot, but I do like to go to shows at b'more so I do tend to go see mainstream people like the gin blossoms, lifehouse, Pat McGee, Edwin McCain, or Velvet Revolver or GNR at arenas or Crosby Stills Nash & Young..I've crawled out the bed before with the flu (my husband and I both were so sick) and we drove a ways to northern VA to go see nickleback and we missed Pete Yorn, got there late. I think it was when their second album came out (they were not famous from their first one.) It was at a christmas festival with System of a Down. I did not like SOD at all....then I saw nickelback again in the summer at merriweather in columbia, md. maybe 2-3 years ago? I thought they were great, but the crowd was causing problems around me.

I use to have a list of all the shows I've been to. I think the only person who's been to more concerts is stpmattb from this board.

maybe I should put it in my signature that hubby and I are going to see Third Eye Blind in b'more on April 29! That should cause some wrinkled noses. I know, I used to get pissed when my husband wanted to see them, but I endured them and liked them.

every band you named is fine and decent and didnt take the approach I am talking against.
    I dont like nickelback but they do their thing
    Im watchig a movie right now and they took a shot at clay aikin.

no more shows
  • There's some hate for SG but that's from schmucks who react to the loveeeeee.

But yes, nice counterpoint. We don't hate those bands (nickelback...) because they're popular. The Beatles have sold more albums than any band in history and they're pretty much universally loved here (well, everywhere). Those bands we bash suck because they're fucking terrible. And pop music sucks because it's composed almost entirely of those shit bands. It's not like we had a meeting to say "okay, so officially, nickelback sucks, got it?". They're just fucking awful. And being a forum for a great band, people here generally have good taste in music. Meaning we reject the shit..

their is a reason I have 0 respect for nickleback but its not the music, I ignore that and they do have fans, I think the singer is a dork, and he has proved that.

no more shows
  • I recommend Sirius to all who'er fed up with radio. No bullshit, pick what you want and you rarely hear a bad song.

If you've no options pray that you have a good college radio station near you :cool:

just baught the set up,

no more shows
  • jammerfall wrote:
    My original post:

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=234965

Yep, it's all good. Still trying to figure out how I'm following Daughtry around the country, though. ;)

I was so trying to be totaly funny with this thread. I cant believe it has grown to this. When it was moved I was like fuckkkkkk, whattttttttt. Now Im knee deep.And its turned serious.

no more shows
  • I was so trying to be totaly funny with this thread. I cant believe it has grown to this. When it was moved I was like fuckkkkkk, whattttttttt. Now Im knee deep.And its turned serious.

So I'm not losing it then, this thread did start in another forum! Phew.
    "Hello Oregonians. Hello Washingtonians. Hello Portland..where the fuck are we? We're in Ridgefield!"
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    Whattttttttt there are tons of bands everywhere. They dont exist becasue of the control of what we are debating.
    Ill tell you a few

Dream theater
    jery cantrell
    zach wyled
    steve hacket
    chevelle

avenge seven fold
    racounterrs
    strokes
    these bands sound does not stay around long enough and some doesnt get any.

peter framptons new album couldnt even crack the charts.

peter frampton's didn't sell well? :(
    well you should have seen how crowded it was when we went to see him in baltimore in the fall....I thought it sold out but my friend said it didn't.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    jammerfall wrote:
    So I'm not losing it then, this thread did start in another forum! Phew.

yes, you can still see that it originated on the porch.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • wtf are you talking about.

What great thing have they done for music.
    They allienated rock and pushed rap and over did boy bands. And basically destroyed good rythum and blues.
    And their isnt enough girl groups with out beeing teeny bopers, they get younger by the week, they have 15 year olds doing pre written american idol type crap.

Its like heres a 15 year old, lets keep them for 3 years, heres another 15 year old.
    It was never this cheesey in the early nineties or before that. Their used to be way better mainstream music bands.They did original stuff.

American idol has taken over 30 percent of pop and they help these songs get written. Were the fuck is the originalty in that.

They fucked korn up.

If it were not for MTV in the nineties, a lot of our favorite bands would not be known to a lot of people. If it were not for MtV, would we have gotten that beautiful performance from Alice in chains called MTV UNPLUGGED? Or any other amazing unplugged performace. When pearl jam was shown on MTV, everyone just sat back and was like..who is this band?
    And about the rap thing.. rap is an awesome genre if you know what to listen to..they played awesome rap back in the day
    I agree that MTV sucks balls these days though, because there is no music involved.

So what were you saying?
  • Jellyrolls wrote:
    If it were not for MTV in the nineties, a lot of our favorite bands would not be known to a lot of people. If it were not for MtV, would we have gotten that beautiful performance from Alice in chains called MTV UNPLUGGED? Or any other amazing unplugged performace. When pearl jam was shown on MTV, everyone just sat back and was like..who is this band?
    And about the rap thing.. rap is an awesome genre if you know what to listen to..they played awesome rap back in the day
    I agree that MTV sucks balls these days though, because there is no music involved.

So what were you saying?

Mtv was not responsible for the seattle outbreak bro. Go read up it was a full tidal wave befor it hit. It did help, and tghe unpluggesd series was good so was mtv when they first came ot, but you are talking like 5 years out of almost 30.
    that is what I am saying.
    I was not blind these bands did get played on there, but radio was also all over it so was the club scene, and alot of touring.

no more shows
  • It's soulless music sang by tools. Like I said earlier, they'll give any jack off who manages to win a popularity contest a record deal but there are thousands of amazing bands out there that will never get any kind of success and dissolve without so much as a small crowd at a local bar hearing them. It's a glorified cancer in music.

I'm an actress. The most talented don't always come out on top or find success. That's just how it is. This is how I make a living yet I don't get irrate over it. I don't bemoan or rant & rave endlessly about the crap movies or tv shows that get made. I'll come clean - I used to be that way. But I'm not anymore. Yeah it sucks but honestly it's just not a healthy way to live. I prefer to get upset over issues that are, in my opinion, more pressing. *shrugs*

The way I see it is like this...there's so many great filmmakers out there & actors that most people don't know about. Some I've worked with, some I haven't. I'm just glad that I've gotten the chance to experience their work. It would be nice if other people could too but it's not the end of the world for me that they haven't. It's the same way w/ music. There's good music out there, you just have to find it & when you do what the fuck does it matter if it's you & a million or only 100 other people enjoying it? If the art has inspired & moved me, I honestly couldn't give a fuck what anyone else thinks.
  • I haven't bothered to read a single post on this thread, but the title alone made me throw up a little. I sure as hell hope this isn't serious.
    "Strangers passing in the street, by chance two seperate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me."
  • I haven't bothered to read a single post on this thread, but the title alone made me throw up a little. I sure as hell hope this isn't serious.
    An appropriate slamming has been issued i believe.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • An appropriate slamming has been issued i believe.

Man, I'm glad to read that statement.
    "Strangers passing in the street, by chance two seperate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me."

Please read my first post, I sure do not want to be labeld as some daughtry groupie, I put this on the porch as a joke and it was moved and now its a serious discussion.

no more shows
  • I'm an actress. The most talented don't always come out on top or find success. That's just how it is. This is how I make a living yet I don't get irrate over it. I don't bemoan or rant & rave endlessly about the crap movies or tv shows that get made. I'll come clean - I used to be that way. But I'm not anymore. Yeah it sucks but honestly it's just not a healthy way to live. I prefer to get upset over issues that are, in my opinion, more pressing. *shrugs*

The way I see it is like this...there's so many great filmmakers out there & actors that most people don't know about. Some I've worked with, some I haven't. I'm just glad that I've gotten the chance to experience their work. It would be nice if other people could too but it's not the end of the world for me that they haven't. It's the same way w/ music. There's good music out there, you just have to find it & when you do what the fuck does it matter if it's you & a million or only 100 other people enjoying it? If the art has inspired & moved me, I honestly couldn't give a fuck what anyone else thinks.

well said, so my point is would you do a commercial promoting something you didnt exactly agree with just because you like the director.
    I DONT HINK THESE AI PEOPLE ARE DOING ANY OF THIS WORK FROM THE SOUL OR THEIR BELIEFS.

no more shows
  • Ok, so thanks to this thread Chris Daughtry is a little bit more famous. I just had to hear what a person sounds like, who people suggest should be ran over by a car, or have his tongue cutout, or making someone want to bring a sniper rifle to a front row of one of his shows…I don’t watch American Idle but even I know who he is now…Funny how things work…Yeah, doesn’t really do much for me either. Sounds like middle of the road rock.

Anyway, I’m glad some of you guys have Vedder’s back on this, the guy sounds like a real threat…
  • well said, so my point is would you do a commercial promoting something you didnt exactly agree with just because you like the director.
    I DONT HINK THESE AI PEOPLE ARE DOING ANY OF THIS WORK FROM THE SOUL OR THEIR BELIEFS.

None of them? That's a bit excessive, don't you think? Sort of a grand sweeping statement? In all fairness there have been AI contestants who have done albums that they themeselves have written. None of them have been successful. More power to them for making albums they wanted to make even though they weren't commercially viable.

As for the commercial...it would honestly depend on the product. If it was for something that I'm passionately against like Walmart, no there's no way I'd do it. If it was for a product that I don't use, like a shampoo, hell yeah I'd do it. I'd be acting & since I'm paid to act, I don't see anything wrong with it. When you're trying to make a living & make a name for yourself, sometimes sacrifices must be made. Ask Jeff Ament. He was accused many times of being a sell-out before he'd even made it. I don't know if it's true or not, but I think it's very difficult to judge people unless you've been in their situation. Sometimes you have to do things you're not that excited about to give yourself the opportunity to do something that does inspire you.
  • None of them? That's a bit excessive, don't you think? Sort of a grand sweeping statement? In all fairness there have been AI contestants who have done albums that they themeselves have written. None of them have been successful. More power to them for making albums they wanted to make even though they weren't commercially viable.

As for the commercial...it would honestly depend on the product. If it was for something that I'm passionately against like Walmart, no there's no way I'd do it. If it was for a product that I don't use, like a shampoo, hell yeah I'd do it. I'd be acting & since I'm paid to act, I don't see anything wrong with it. When you're trying to make a living & make a name for yourself, sometimes sacrifices must be made. Ask Jeff Ament. He was accused many times of being a sell-out before he'd even made it. I don't know if it's true or not, but I think it's very difficult to judge people unless you've been in their situation. Sometimes you have to do things you're not that excited about to give yourself the opportunity to do something that does inspire you.

Well I would stand corrected if the fact was pointed out. I was told that these contestants go thru the show and basically give up all the rights when they win, any music they do under these contracts basically is more owned by the record companies than the singer.
    These contracts I would also assume lean towars the company when it comes to money comparred to bands that make it thru the ranks on their own.
    I was told kinda like a 80 / 20 split. that sucks. I was also schooled that their songs are basically given to them. I am sure they write songs but the hits that become singles are pre fabbed.

no more shows
  • He's a tenclub member.
    "It's all happening"
  • I DONT HINK THESE AI PEOPLE ARE DOING ANY OF THIS WORK FROM THE SOUL OR THEIR BELIEFS.

I love how you speak for those people. Not everyone likes the bands that you do..you REALLY need to fucking realize that. Not everyone gets lucky and gets a record deal.
  • Jellyrolls wrote:
    I love how you speak for those people. Not everyone likes the bands that you do..you REALLY need to fucking realize that. Not everyone gets lucky and gets a record deal.

I could care less about talking up the bands I like.
    Why are you making this so personal with me.

it is starting to sound as if you dont even like the show just disagreeing with me.

Ill go out on a limb, I know someone who works for disney, He is in their marketing department, he rambles constantly about how Disney and universal who just started universal music not too long ago, go about their monoploies.

They pick people they want based on looks voice and control everyhting and force feed them, they control like 80 percent of these pop idols.
    Right there you are talking at least 30 percent of new pop music. Know I am going out on a limb and guessing ai is owned by fox, even though it is run byfreemantle media fox is the corpatate whore.
    You could possobily be talking close to 50 percent of pop in america.

Now its not the end of the world but it hurts rock, and I have followed rock thru radio for 30 years.

Radio is owned by companies like this and radio is done.
    Just like rock is done and partially ryhtum and blues.

So tell me again why corparate america is so good for music.

This is fact, dont hate me for making fun of their biggest poster child.

As far as the groups I like who cares about that, we could debate opionos all day.

no more shows
  • What if one of us were able to sing alright, we happened to have a decent band supporting us, we were fortunate to get a record deal, and we made music that was accepted by the general public...even if we were to say, "Pearl Jam was such an influence in my decision to pursue music", there is probably not a single person on this board who wouldn't crucify us......

Just a thought...

I know if I made it big someday, I would definitly disclose my influences and when the fans of my influences criticized me, it would suck becaue I would then be getting criticized by my fellow fans...

good thing I dont like Daughtry...fuck him, that fucking poser...
    I'm trying to drink away the part of the day I cannot sleep away...
  • What if one of us were able to sing alright, we happened to have a decent band supporting us, we were fortunate to get a record deal, and we made music that was accepted by the general public...even if we were to say, "Pearl Jam was such an influence in my decision to pursue music", there is probably not a single person on this board who wouldn't crucify us......

Just a thought...

I know if I made it big someday, I would definitly disclose my influences and when the fans of my influences criticized me, it would suck becaue I would then be getting criticized by my fellow fans...

good thing I dont like Daughtry...fuck him, that fucking poser...

I personnally like more pop than punk.

I like all the foo fighter tunes, I like the radio friendly chilli peppers. I like that song crazy, from gnarels barkely.
    I liked blondie growing up.
    Cheap trick
    Prince
    the police
    these bands were pop in my day and some now, their is not much out now though.
    I like bare naked ladies
    coldplay

I mean take your shots I know some of those bands are dorky, so what, its what I Like, so I still thingk rock benifits from not having corparate monopolies involved.

Look at the 80s with the bands ed likes.

men without hats
    crowded house
    the las
    english beat
    david bowie

Thier was good original pop back then.

Things are sadly very differant. these days. These companies have it to where radio is like something that would have existed in russia back in the early 80s.

no more shows
  • Yeah, pop music in the 80s had the capacity to be really good. Even Madonna made some good tunes.

Cheap Trick may be very radio friendly, but goddamn are they amazing. Few songs of the era rival "Surrender" (I think :) )
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Yeah, pop music in the 80s had the capacity to be really good. Even Madonna made some good tunes.

Cheap Trick may be very radio friendly, but goddamn are they amazing. Few songs of the era rival "Surrender" (I think :) )

Great point, radio had.

BALANCE

One thing I just thought of is the lack of Euro popbands getting played in America.
    I would love to hear more strokes and coldplay on the pop channels, my daughters are 11 and 7 and it gets played in my house at time and its all bad, no balance.

no more shows
  • Jeanwah wrote:
    I agree. Granted American Idol is cheesy, but if you want to just get your foot in the door, (that door anyway,) that's all you need to take off. It's really worked to his advantage. And I think it's great that he decided to go solo and not join Tool.
    Tool? It was Fuel who offered him a job, not Tool. Leave real talent out of this.
    Life reveals what is dealt through seasons
    Circle comes around each time