Vedder look out for Daughtry, he has set the new standard.

Comments

• iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    brian vander ark is original except he kind of reminds me of harry chapin a little because his songs are telling a story.
    Vander ark's "I don't wanna be" reminds me of don mclean's american pie b/c it's so long!
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    I like nickleback. I should put it in my signature.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Jellyrolls wrote:
    The only one that is descent out of those are Kings of Leon and the Strokes IMO. Plus, you don't have to be original to make good songs.
    You don't like MM ? :confused:

And in any case to get to the really great bands coming out you'd have to dig a little deeper than them.

But I agree about the originality thing. There was nothing new about the s/t Pearl jam record but it was still fantastic.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Jellyrolls wrote:
    Did I ever say that I liked Nickelback? Actually I despise them, but I respect them for working hard and being one of the biggest selling rock bands of this decade. BTW, I would LOVE for you to prove that they make terrible music. It is our opinion that Nickelback does not make good music, but there are many people who like the songs that they put out. Almost all of my friends listen to and like Nickelback, but does that make me thing that they are stupid? No, that is just what they like.
    No they aren't stupid I just think they have terrible taste in music as far as nickelback is concerned..

"Make our day"
  • I would love to see the bands that are praised on this board to have their songs played on the radio all of the time, and be very popular. It would be amusing to see 50% of this board start bashing them for it.
    Jellyrolls wrote:
    I would love to see the bands that are praised on this board to have their songs played on the radio all of the time, and be very popular. It would be amusing to see 50% of this board start bashing them for it.

very true!
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • iluvcats wrote:
    I like nickleback. I should put it in my signature.
    More power to you! ha..
    I think it would be amusing to have that in your sig just to see how many people talk trash about it. Everyone likes what they like IMO
  • Jellyrolls wrote:
    I would love to see the bands that are praised on this board to have their songs played on the radio all of the time, and be very popular. It would be amusing to see 50% of this board start bashing them for it.
    Alice in Chains? STP? Rage? Soundgarden? Haven't seen much hate for those bands. Probably because they are good, and popular.

You could even mention, The Beatles, The Doors, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, and others.
  • They are liked by a lot of people, but I RARELY see them on TV or hear them on the radio. They are not near as popular as Nickelback, Hinder, ect.
  • Jellyrolls wrote:
    They are liked by a lot of people, but I RARELY see them on TV or hear them on the radio. They are not near as popular as Nickelback, Hinder, ect.
    I never see them on TV, but (this is coming from someone who listens to the radio when forced and only then) everyday I hear all of the ones I listed once or twice depending on the duration and station.

Though I can't name any post 90s bands that are popular and radio played and not bashed.
    Jellyrolls wrote:
    More power to you! ha..
    I think it would be amusing to have that in your sig just to see how many people talk trash about it. Everyone likes what they like IMO

I like alot of bands. PJ are absolutely my favorite, but I'm not going to follow them around the globe. I don't go out alot, but I do like to go to shows at b'more so I do tend to go see mainstream people like the gin blossoms, lifehouse, Pat McGee, Edwin McCain, or Velvet Revolver or GNR at arenas or Crosby Stills Nash & Young..I've crawled out the bed before with the flu (my husband and I both were so sick) and we drove a ways to northern VA to go see nickleback and we missed Pete Yorn, got there late. I think it was when their second album came out (they were not famous from their first one.) It was at a christmas festival with System of a Down. I did not like SOD at all....then I saw nickelback again in the summer at merriweather in columbia, md. maybe 2-3 years ago? I thought they were great, but the crowd was causing problems around me.

I use to have a list of all the shows I've been to. I think the only person who's been to more concerts is stpmattb from this board.

maybe I should put it in my signature that hubby and I are going to see Third Eye Blind in b'more on April 29! That should cause some wrinkled noses. I know, I used to get pissed when my husband wanted to see them, but I endured them and liked them.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Where I am located, we don't have any radio stations that play them a lot..but I wish we did have that kind of station
    Jellyrolls wrote:
    Where I am located, we don't have any radio stations that play them a lot..but I wish we did have that kind of station

you can join our local station online and listen
    they play old stuff as well as new
    this a.m. i heard 2 pearl jam songs, RHCP, and STP!
    http://www.dc101.com
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • danny72688 wrote:
    Alice in Chains? STP? Rage? Soundgarden? Haven't seen much hate for those bands. Probably because they are good, and popular.

You could even mention, The Beatles, The Doors, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, and others.
    There's some hate for SG but that's from schmucks who react to the loveeeeee.

But yes, nice counterpoint. We don't hate those bands (nickelback...) because they're popular. The Beatles have sold more albums than any band in history and they're pretty much universally loved here (well, everywhere). Those bands we bash suck because they're fucking terrible. And pop music sucks because it's composed almost entirely of those shit bands. It's not like we had a meeting to say "okay, so officially, nickelback sucks, got it?". They're just fucking awful. And being a forum for a great band, people here generally have good taste in music. Meaning we reject the shit..

"Make our day"
  • iluvcats wrote:
    you can join our local station online and listen
    they play old stuff as well as new
    this a.m. i heard 2 pearl jam songs, RHCP, and STP!
    http://www.dc101.com

Awesome! Thanks for the link!
    Jellyrolls wrote:
    Awesome! Thanks for the link!

you are welcome....i just clicked on the link and they were playing fuel....
    woo hoo!
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Jellyrolls wrote:
    Where I am located, we don't have any radio stations that play them a lot..but I wish we did have that kind of station
    The classic rock ones are good, no complaints. But the rock ones are filtered with such shit (to me) it's sickening. I can't stand hearing PJ, then My Chemical Romance, and Fall Out Boy. It's like 1/5 songs are good/memorable nowadays. So I've opted to not use the radio.
    danny72688 wrote:
    The classic rock ones are good, no complaints. But the rock ones are filtered with such shit (to me) it's sickening. I can't stand hearing PJ, then My Chemical Romance, and Fall Out Boy. It's like 1/5 songs are good/memorable nowadays. So I've opted to not use the radio.

this is true.
    like this a.m. while i was listening to dc101 online, i would just turn it down when the crap was on...then turn it back, then off....
    i haven't heard your band yet danny
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • I recommend Sirius to all who'er fed up with radio. No bullshit, pick what you want and you rarely hear a bad song.

If you've no options pray that you have a good college radio station near you :cool:

"Make our day"
  • There's some hate for SG but that's from schmucks who react to the loveeeeee.

But yes, nice counterpoint. We don't hate those bands (nickelback...) because they're popular. The Beatles have sold more albums than any band in history and they're pretty much universally loved here (well, everywhere). Those bands we bash suck because they're fucking terrible. And pop music sucks because it's composed almost entirely of those shit bands. It's not like we had a meeting to say "okay, so officially, nickelback sucks, got it?". They're just fucking awful. And being a forum for a great band, people here generally have good taste in music. Meaning we reject the shit..
    Yeah just after I posted that I saw the Jesus Christ Pose Sucks thread :D Way to put my foot in my mouth LOL!
    But yeah, I hate bands like Nickelback because they suck. I can't describe it any clearer. They have made good melodies and some catchy rockers, but I can't remember the riffs as I write this, unlike: Would?, Jeremy, Animal, Spoonman (figures I listed hits ;)). And Kroger's lyrics are horrendous! I bet a second grader could write better lyrics.
  • I recommend Sirius to all who'er fed up with radio. No bullshit, pick what you want and you rarely hear a bad song.

If you've no options pray that you have a good college radio station near you :cool:

I couldn't agree more! Sirius is pure ownage! Not sure if you have seen the new channel or not, but check it out. http://www.sirius.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Sirius/CachedPage&c=Channel&cid=1168958237997
  • you didnt, its cool you are following daughtry around the country.

Its all good

My original post:

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=234965

Yep, it's all good. Still trying to figure out how I'm following Daughtry around the country, though. ;)
    "Hello Oregonians. Hello Washingtonians. Hello Portland..where the fuck are we? We're in Ridgefield!"
  • iluvcats wrote:
    he doesn't write everything himself. in fact, i think he had a small part to the writing of this album. his name is there but i do believe he had a small role.

and rich how do you know what control the record company had on people back in the old days? i heard that david cassidy wanted to play jimi hendrix kind of music and he was forced to play bubble gum. i would not know though, i was not there...

gossard goes into great detail in that 5 aginst 1 book, plus just watching alot of vh1 shows.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
    gossard goes into great detail in that 5 aginst 1 book, plus just watching alot of vh1 shows.

excuse me....i hate to name drop here...but mccready and I used to pm each other in 2000 and he told me that the band had no input on that kim neely book, 5 against 1.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Jellyrolls wrote:
    For those who say he can't sing, you're fucking stupid. For those who said he shouldn't have done AI, you need to ask youself...would I go on to American Idol and chase my dream of becoming a performer? Im sure you would.

If a band is mainstream, popular, makes more than 50 dollars a week, and their name are not Pearl Jam, they will be hated here.

He obviously can sing but so can alot of people.
    How much money do you think this guy has made.

Also I am 36 and never would have done that. What are most of these cheesebag pop idols do when they arent 25 anymore.

You are telling us you would possibly consider being a 1 hit wonder for prob like 400 or 500 thousand, and than spending the rest of your life being tagged with that, over being moderatley successfull in a band that has more potential and longevity.

no more shows
  • iluvcats wrote:
    excuse me....i hate to name drop here...but mccready and I used to pm each other in 2000 and he told me that the band had no input on that kim neely book, 5 against 1.

Yes but alot of other people who were close to the band did. i always got the impression from music that record companies were evil.

no more shows
  • Jellyrolls wrote:
    Although MTV sucks at the moment, they have done great things for music. Describe to me why AI is a souless program please. I don't watch it often, but I am open minded enough to see that it is people chasing their dreams, and I am all for that.

I already gave some insight on why its not good for rock music.

It floods the markey with 1 hit wonders, the show should could be called that.
    No harm here but most of the people on that show have no direction and they are pushed into a hit song, the chances of doing dick after that are great. And I honestly dont appreciate you calling people fucking stupid over this.
    Its in their favor that he is a pop clown.

As far as pop bands I have always like pop rock.

Greend day
    u2
    weezer
    foo fighters
    audioslave
    army of 1
    fuel was a good pop band its a shame what happened.

no more shows
  • Jellyrolls wrote:
    Although MTV sucks at the moment, they have done great things for music. Describe to me why AI is a souless program please. I don't watch it often, but I am open minded enough to see that it is people chasing their dreams, and I am all for that.

wtf are you talking about.

What great thing have they done for music.
    They allienated rock and pushed rap and over did boy bands. And basically destroyed good rythum and blues.
    And their isnt enough girl groups with out beeing teeny bopers, they get younger by the week, they have 15 year olds doing pre written american idol type crap.

Its like heres a 15 year old, lets keep them for 3 years, heres another 15 year old.
    It was never this cheesey in the early nineties or before that. Their used to be way better mainstream music bands.They did original stuff.

American idol has taken over 30 percent of pop and they help these songs get written. Were the fuck is the originalty in that.

They fucked korn up.

no more shows
  • Jellyrolls wrote:
    Of course there are politics involved, it's a TV show. If they didn't make it interesting the show would go down the drain. If your job had something to do with AI, you wouldn't want them to stop airing the show would you? Just because you don't like the person who wins the show, you have to admit that there are some amazing talent's that go across the show.

EDIT: Who are you to say that it's terrible music? Millions of other people tend to disagree.

ai will not las much longer, its trendy, things were more than better with our econmoy before it hopped along, it didnt save televison or anything like that.

no more shows
  • Everyone keeps talking about being original. Name some newer groups that are original?? They dont exist.

Whattttttttt there are tons of bands everywhere. They dont exist becasue of the control of what we are debating.
    Ill tell you a few

Dream theater
    jery cantrell
    zach wyled
    steve hacket
    chevelle

avenge seven fold
    racounterrs
    strokes
    these bands sound does not stay around long enough and some doesnt get any.

peter framptons new album couldnt even crack the charts.

no more shows