Vedder look out for Daughtry, he has set the new standard.

Comments

• Daughtry is a fucking assclown. I watched that season cause my girl watched it. At one point, he sang Higher Ground. When asked why he picked it, his reply was, "I like the Chili Peppers." WTF?!?! Stevie Wonder, hello? And then to top it all off, he sang Walk The Line and when asked the same thing he credited none other than Live. Fucking Live?!?! Not the Man in Black?! I wished i was in the front row for that show with a sniper rifle.
    Chicago 8-23-09

• Daughtry is a fucking assclown. I watched that season cause my girl watched it. At one point, he sang Higher Ground. When asked why he picked it, his reply was, "I like the Chili Peppers." WTF?!?! Stevie Wonder, hello? And then to top it all off, he sang Walk The Line and when asked the same thing he credited none other than Live. Fucking Live?!?! Not the Man in Black?! I wished i was in the front row for that show with a sniper rifle.

Now this is what I was waiting for.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    iwasthere wrote:
    I have no idea who this Daughtry person is. At first I thoght you were talking about Roger Daltrey. Much like earlier today when I suggested we started talking about CCR is a thread that was supposed to be about MCR.....
    You're two for two!

*insert smile on my face right....................here :)*
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    Daughtry is a fucking assclown. I watched that season cause my girl watched it. At one point, he sang Higher Ground. When asked why he picked it, his reply was, "I like the Chili Peppers." WTF?!?! Stevie Wonder, hello? And then to top it all off, he sang Walk The Line and when asked the same thing he credited none other than Live. Fucking Live?!?! Not the Man in Black?! I wished i was in the front row for that show with a sniper rifle.
    And that wiped the smile right off.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • PJPATPJPAT Posts: 399
    I love AI at the beginning when people are bad. I loved that William Hung guy. He was awesome!!!

I think Daughtry is the bald guy and have not really listened to him.

Exposure is a good thing and if you are striving to be famous AI is a good place. Jennifer Hudson is up for an Oscar. What a springboard for her.

It is good to see a rocker come out of it.
    "All the money you make will never buy back your soul" Bob Dylan

"I need honesty, I need truth, and I need hope...I need it! That's what music means to me." EV
  • PJPAT wrote:
    I love AI at the beginning when people are bad. I loved that William Hung guy. He was awesome!!!

I think Daughtry is the bald guy and have not really listened to him.

Exposure is a good thing and if you are striving to be famous AI is a good place. Jennifer Hudson is up for an Oscar. What a springboard for her.

It is good to see a rocker come out of it.
    Even if it's a shit rocker I guess it's better than a kelly clarkson clone.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"

I watch American Idol (& I'm not ashamed) You're last part is wrong. There was actually a bit of controversy re: his version of Walk The Line. He sang it in the same style as Live and people got pissed because he didn't give THEM credit. The next week he tried to make ammends by giving Live credit for that particular version.

I fail to understand the hatred for this show. It's one thing to dislike a show, there's plenty of crap on tv. But the level of hatred & the energy people put into hating ANY form of entertainment. I dunno. Go find a real cause.
  • I watch American Idol (& I'm not ashamed) You're last part is wrong. There was actually a bit of controversy re: his version of Walk The Line. He sang it in the same style as Live and people got pissed because he didn't give THEM credit. The next week he tried to make ammends by giving Live credit for that particular version.

I fail to understand the hatred for this show. It's one thing to dislike a show, there's plenty of crap on tv. But the level of hatred & the energy people put into hating ANY form of entertainment. I dunno. Go find a real cause.
    It's soulless music sang by tools. Like I said earlier, they'll give any jack off who manages to win a popularity contest a record deal but there are thousands of amazing bands out there that will never get any kind of success and dissolve without so much as a small crowd at a local bar hearing them. It's a glorified cancer in music.

"Make our day"
  • Well, he's now rich and famous, and we are still here on the same ol message board. And actually I think he's the best thing to come out of american idol.
    "It's all happening"
  • geniegenie Posts: 2,222
    wow it seems like he is liked here.

Maybee its me.

nah, it's me too. i've read your other posts in this thread, you've got good opinions on music. :)

never heard of this Daughtry's what's his name?! :D
    watched one of his videos:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56LbkqHheOM

the guy look's like an idiot, he's dressed in black to look like a metaller, when he's not, he's got drummer and a guitarist but he sounds like he's from fucking pop boyband. his song is lame, his voice has no originality.

when i started reading further i noticed that's he from American Idol show, which made me understand why i think he is an idiot.
    This show finds perfect voices......yeah their voices are so perfect they lack originality.
    so, to sum up what i've just said American Idol sucks, so as Daughtry
  • genie wrote:
    nah, it's me too. i've read your other posts in this thread, you've got good opinions on music. :)

never heard of this Daughtry's what's his name?! :D
    watched one of his videos:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56LbkqHheOM

the guy look's like an idiot, he's dressed in black to look like a metaller, when he's not, he's got drummer and a guitarist but he sounds like he's from fucking pop boyband. his song is lame, his voice has no originality.

when i started reading further i noticed that's he from American Idol show, which made me understand why i think he is an idiot.
    This show finds perfect voices......yeah their voices are so perfect they lack originality.
    so, to sum up what i've just said American Idol sucks, so as Daughtry

I didnt even make it through your whole reply, and thanks for the props. I am right know going to listen to this clip with ears wide open, haha
    I will be giving you my honest opinion.

no more shows
  • wel 1 min in hes a nickelback wanna be trying to cash in.
    Not original. Can he sing sure so can the guy in nickelback. Its style and originalty that is needed in rock today. This show is force fed.
    people constantly say nickelback sucks, they do but in all honestly these guys are talented musicians, tyhey just do not have the balls of past genres of rock in the past

I grew up on great 90s bands
    great 80s metal ,and yes that scene got cheesey, but the seattle scene took care of that. Here in 2007 they are still pushing recycled 90s sound with singers with more of a generic pop sound.
    Its too safe, they know kids will listen. They are too afraid to take chances.
    Obviously this show is big, and I respect you guys for watching it, you know what you like and in the beggining Im guessing its funny. On a rock scale where I recognize your names in posts ripping nickelback and your concern for better exposure on new bands, and more heavy rock, and more exposure for pj. This show pushing rock music is a big part of whats wrong with music today.

Its record executives telling young musicians what to do. And in return them listening.

Stones tells stories of this shit happening to him, they want to sell pj in six packs of coke, they want to use expressions like pearl jam your life on toast.
    Stone said no.

They had confidence and balls. Also back then record companies didnt have the complete control like they do now either. Radio and companies are owned by major companies. So its harder for a guy like this.
    But dont think for 1 minute this guy dream was to write music like this. His dream was to be famous, and thats cool, but its killing rock.

no more shows
  • geniegenie Posts: 2,222
    His dream was to be famous, and thats cool, but its killing rock.

great statement! :)

i do have to say that Nickleback's debut album was good, in fact it was so good i thought i was going to put them in the list of my favourite bands.....
    until afterwards i heard their new releases which made me cringe, because their new songs didn't have anger and had nothing to say.
  • Neruda25Neruda25 Posts: 266
    I`m so far from you guys ( U.S.A), and i recently knew this guy,.....fortunely don`t have to see him everyday on T.V. I don`t have any respect to those singers who came from a tv show,..they sucks!!!,..that it`s not Rock`n Roll,....He just want to be famous,.didn`t care the music. It`s sounds very similar to Seether, Shinedown,..but he looks like the guy from Cold,...with out hair,..but not too dark,.....This guy SUCKS!!!!!!............
    There are a lot of great music outside,..don`t listen this "pseudostar".
    Don`t watch American Idol..!!!....
    22 nov. Santiago
    23 nov. Santiago
    25 nov. Buenos Aires
    26 nov. Buenos Aires

http://www.myspace.com/delonelyman
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    he doesn't write everything himself. in fact, i think he had a small part to the writing of this album. his name is there but i do believe he had a small role.

and rich how do you know what control the record company had on people back in the old days? i heard that david cassidy wanted to play jimi hendrix kind of music and he was forced to play bubble gum. i would not know though, i was not there...
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • http://www.amazon.com/Daughtry/dp/B000IY04RC/sr=8-1/qid=1172433510/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-5232556-6447232?ie=UTF8&s=music
    Look at this "rocker" :rolleyes:
    I never thought I'd say this, but Nickelback is better! At least they're a band and not, Chris Daughtry and the Band. What a tool, he will fade away by 2010 into nothing.
  • For those who say he can't sing, you're fucking stupid. For those who said he shouldn't have done AI, you need to ask youself...would I go on to American Idol and chase my dream of becoming a performer? Im sure you would.

If a band is mainstream, popular, makes more than 50 dollars a week, and their name are not Pearl Jam, they will be hated here.
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    Jellyrolls wrote:
    For those who say he can't sing, you're fucking stupid. For those who said he shouldn't have done AI, you need to ask youself...would I go on to American Idol and chase my dream of becoming a performer? Im sure you would.

If a band is mainstream, popular, makes more than 50 dollars a week, and their name are not Pearl Jam, they will be hated here.

I like you :)
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Jellyrolls wrote:
    For those who say he can't sing, you're fucking stupid. For those who said he shouldn't have done AI, you need to ask youself...would I go on to American Idol and chase my dream of becoming a performer? Im sure you would.

I have no problem with the guy's actions. He can sing. But he sings shitty music and he came from the most soulless program on television (and yes that's including mtv and vh1). Don't blame him for going on the show though.

"Make our day"
  • Jellyrolls wrote:

Its not that he can't sing, its that he sounds like every other mainstream alt/hard rock act thats played on the radio.
    I share a cigarette with negativity.
  • Sure he should have done American Idol, it gave him a ton of exposure which is what young artists need in the begining. He was offered a job singing for the band Fuel afer he was kicked off idol. Now people know his name, and he's selling records and tickets.
    I think he was offered the Fuel job before he was kicked off. One of the conditions was that he had to drop out of Idol. My theory is that when these rumours started the voters turned on him and that's why he got the boot. But I agree, it was not a bad career move at all.
    Vancouver 07/19/98 Vancouver 05/30/03
    Portland 11/02/00 Vancouver 09/02/05
    Boise 11/03/00 Gorge 1 07/22/06
    Seattle 1 11/05/00 Gorge 2 07/23/06
    Seattle 2 11/06/00 Vancouver 09/25/09
  • I have no problem with the guy's actions. He can sing. But he sings shitty music and he came from the most soulless program on television (and yes that's including mtv and vh1). Don't blame him for going on the show though.

Although MTV sucks at the moment, they have done great things for music. Describe to me why AI is a souless program please. I don't watch it often, but I am open minded enough to see that it is people chasing their dreams, and I am all for that.
  • Jellyrolls wrote:

Well said.
    Vancouver 07/19/98 Vancouver 05/30/03
    Portland 11/02/00 Vancouver 09/02/05
    Boise 11/03/00 Gorge 1 07/22/06
    Seattle 1 11/05/00 Gorge 2 07/23/06
    Seattle 2 11/06/00 Vancouver 09/25/09
  • Jellyrolls wrote:
    Although MTV sucks at the moment, they have done great things for music. Describe to me why AI is a souless program please. I don't watch it often, but I am open minded enough to see that it is people chasing their dreams, and I am all for that.
    - Terrible music. Pretty much without exception.

- It's a popularity contest. It's fucking middle school politics. No one cares who the best singers are they (audience voting and the judges) just want someone who sounds like every other goddamn thing in mainstream music. It's a shitfest. Fucking middle school politics (and I do mean MIDDLE SCHOOL considering most of the voters).

- Those judges are scripted as hell. It's mind-numbing.

- Fucks like kelly clarkson and that stepford wife who won last time get free record deals for winning a popularity contest while brilliant musicians go broke and end up having to give up music. Cee Bee Gee Bees was almost demolished and kelly clarkson gets to make music. What part of that doesn't scream 'devoid of soul' ?

- Did I mention how bad the music is? Well let's multiply that x 50 because so many of them get to make records after their stint on the show.

That's a good start..

"Make our day"
  • Of course there are politics involved, it's a TV show. If they didn't make it interesting the show would go down the drain. If your job had something to do with AI, you wouldn't want them to stop airing the show would you? Just because you don't like the person who wins the show, you have to admit that there are some amazing talent's that go across the show.

EDIT: Who are you to say that it's terrible music? Millions of other people tend to disagree.
  • Everyone keeps talking about being original. Name some newer groups that are original?? They dont exist.
  • Jellyrolls wrote:
    Of course there are politics involved, it's a TV show. If they didn't make it interesting the show would go down the drain. If your job had something to do with AI, you wouldn't want them to stop airing the show would you? Just because you don't like the person who wins the show, you have to admit that there are some amazing talent's that go across the show.

EDIT: Who are you to say that it's terrible music? Millions of other people tend to disagree.
    You remember those mp3s that were going around that put like 4 nickelback songs right on top of eachother and they synched up perfectly - proving that, yes, not only do they all just sound the same, but they are the same? It's kind of like that. I could probably prove that it's terrible music mathematically if I had the time.

"Make our day"
  • Everyone keeps talking about being original. Name some newer groups that are original?? They dont exist.
    Kings of Leon
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs
    Strokes (when they broke they were fucking original.. lots of rips offs insued quickly)
    MMJ
    Modest Mouse is STILL the only band that can sound like Modest Mouse....

There's TONS of great original music being made, but it sure as fuck isn't gonna be anywhere near that Daughtry guy.

"Make our day"
  • Kings of Leon
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs
    Strokes (when they broke they were fucking original.. lots of rips offs insued quickly)
    MMJ
    Modest Mouse is STILL the only band that can sound like Modest Mouse....

There's TONS of great original music being made, but it sure as fuck isn't gonna be anywhere near that Daughtry guy.

The only one that is descent out of those are Kings of Leon and the Strokes IMO. Plus, you don't have to be original to make good songs.
  • You remember those mp3s that were going around that put like 4 nickelback songs right on top of eachother and they synched up perfectly - proving that, yes, not only do they all just sound the same, but they are the same? It's kind of like that. I could probably prove that it's terrible music mathematically if I had the time.

Did I ever say that I liked Nickelback? Actually I despise them, but I respect them for working hard and being one of the biggest selling rock bands of this decade. BTW, I would LOVE for you to prove that they make terrible music. It is our opinion that Nickelback does not make good music, but there are many people who like the songs that they put out. Almost all of my friends listen to and like Nickelback, but does that make me thing that they are stupid? No, that is just what they like.