EMO music is cool.....

Comments

• bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    you'd have had to be blind not to see it, even if i didnt understand it. or read any article from that time period. watch any movie or interview. iwhat's incredible is how dull your mind is to not see anything beyond your own biases.

i didn't give a flying fuck about that side of it.. i just simply followed my ears and the music.

the difference is i can form an opinion based on my own personal experience whereas you were still a child.
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • 30 Seconds to Mars...EMO?

I just saw their latest video, which is a pathetic attempt at a short movie that takes place in China. Jared Leto sporting a very EMO look.
    "Underneath this smile lies everything - all my hopes, anger, pride and shame."
  • Some people here don't like "emo" as music cuz it's too poppy and crappy. It has no soul. It's whiny. And the guys in the bands wear make-up. And as late 20's - late 30's males (most of us, there are exceptions I understand) we just don't get it. And we don't know how the kids of today can relate to such horrible music that means nothing, and the image is just absolutely ridiculous.

Of course, that's what our grandparents said about our parents music, and as far as I can tell, Elvis, The Beatles, The Stones, The Four Tops, The Temptations, etc., etc. were pretty good, despite what our grandparents thought. Then while our parents continued to listen to this music, their younger siblings got into stuff like Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Van Halen, etc, and neither our parents or our grandparents liked it. Then we all come along, and get into Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Metallica, GNR, NIN, maybe some "gangsta rap" and everybody goes apesh!t (like they did when our older siblings played their first Crue record or listened to a song like "F--- Like A Beast") about the lyrical content and the image and the drugs. And now we've gotten old and are doing the same thing.

Look, I don't really care for what is being considered "emo" these days, though I must admit I find some of the songs to be catchy. Sometimes I don't need my music to be filled with soul and deep, meaningful lyrics...sometimes it should just be fun to listen to because it makes you tap your toes, drum your fingers, or maybe get stuck in your head all day and you find yourself humming that d@mn song all day long. It's music, and it obviously speaks to somebody, or it wouldn't be made. The same can be said of ANY artform. It's a painting/drawing/abstract piece/sculpture/book/poem/etc. and some people will think it's the greatest thing in the world, and other people will think that it's just a statue of a naked guy who needs to put some pants on because children might see his penis (GASP!!!!).

I guess the point is, in the end, if you don't like it, don't listen to it and just shut-up about it. All your bitching and moaning won't make it go away. It makes you sound like a whiny music-elitist, or a self-proclaimed musical know-it-all, which in the end just makes you look....well, I guess with all the bitching and moaning and whining, you look rather "emo", don't you? :)
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
    -John Lennon
    gtbrown77 wrote:
    All your bitching and moaning won't make it go away.

True.. but I think if the people who market music actually gave a fuck about talent and not what made them a quick buck this music would not exist and would go away.
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • 30 Seconds to Mars...EMO?

I just saw their latest video, which is a pathetic attempt at a short movie that takes place in China. Jared Leto sporting a very EMO look.

i think they sounded a lot like what is modern emo when i saw them last year opening for audioslave. that same annoying voice that seems to dominate the scene and non-distinct guitar playing. i didn't care for them at all.

i've only really discovered what emo is since this post started and i must say that i do like some of it. not most of it, but i'm liking AFI in particular.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • My problem with Emo is that it has NO BALLS in any way, shape, or form. And the way the bands dress makes me sick. They look like fuckin women. Makeup, girls clothes, pretty gay shit for guys who aren't gay. I guess the music reflects the look, or vice versa...

When all of our favorite bands were popular, they wore flannel...

Who else wears flannel? You guessed it. LUMBERJACKS.

LUMBERJACKS = BADASS

early 90's rock, "grunge", BADASS.
  • ^ ^ ^

It's kinda like the band Poison. They looked lame and like chicks. But guys still bought the records and played the shit out of it.
    NERDS!
  • ^ ^ ^

It's kinda like the band Poison. They looked lame and like chicks. But guys still bought the records and played the shit out of it.

True. But even as queer as Poison looked, they still wrote a lot of songs about boozin it up and bangin women. Their music, although cheesy, had some balls to it.

But just for the record, I think Poison sucks.
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    Poison was awesome. That first album was like a glammed-up Ramones. They were what they were and they were real. They gave no apologies.

I will admit my bias because I love that era of music because of its escapism.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • i think they sounded a lot like what is modern emo when i saw them last year opening for audioslave. that same annoying voice that seems to dominate the scene and non-distinct guitar playing. i didn't care for them at all.

i've only really discovered what emo is since this post started and i must say that i do like some of it. not most of it, but i'm liking AFI in particular.

I heard from a fellow PJ fan that at the 30 STM concert she went to Jared Leto had a fan to blow on him thereby creating an effect of hair blowing in the wind. That some serious cheese.

Yeah, AFI has a couple of catchy songs. I don't see really any discernable musical talent though. But the guys look is a bit annoying.
  • fanch75 wrote:
    Poison was awesome. That first album was like a glammed-up Ramones. They were what they were and they were real. They gave no apologies.

I will admit my bias because I love that era of music because of its escapism.

I can totally respect that.
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    I think people can't get past how the bands look sometimes. I dont pay attention that stuff..if the music is good I like them even if they look like weirdos. A lot of it does sound the same though.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
    I heard from a fellow PJ fan that at the 30 STM concert she went to Jared Leto had a fan to blow on him thereby creating an effect of hair blowing in the wind. That some serious cheese.

Yeah, AFI has a couple of catchy songs. I don't see really any discernable musical talent though. But the guys look is a bit annoying.

AFI were a totally different band back in the day.. I used to like Art of Drowning and the albums before that
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    bharQ wrote:
    i didn't give a flying fuck about that side of it.. i just simply followed my ears and the music.

the difference is i can form an opinion based on my own personal experience whereas you were still a child.

and all im saying is the "scene" you find so offensive is no different than the "scene" surrounding grunge when it first broke in the 90s. the only reason you dont take your holier-than-thou attitude with grunge is becos you were born 10 years too late for it. people said the same shit about grunge that you're saying right not about emo. "fake people wallowing in fake pain to look cool." time proved them wrong in some semse. and in another 10 years, the few remaining emo fans (like us few remaining grunge fans) will be on a holgraphic msg board bitching about whatever is trendy at the moment. emo is no better or no worse than any other music trend.
  • musically, ill agree with you. i dont care for the emo sound. but you dont know if those people are singing it from the heart. you only know ed is becos you get all misty when he sings the song you cried to when you were 13 and the girl wouldnt go to the dance with you. that's a totally arbitrary standard and your hatred of emo is pure snobbery. the music sucks, but you try to act like that's an objective thing, that you dont like it for objective reasons and anyone who does is stupid and inferior to your awesome tastes.

You know as little about me as I do about Eddie so didn't even try to presume my tastes or what PJ means to me.

Its irrelevant, I dislike Emo music and I hate the fashion, its just an opinion. It just SEEMS to be all about image over substance - the antithisis of PJs music.
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton

a lot of bands have fans blowing cos it's fucking hot on that stage in front of the lights. watch tb2k. there's a fan blowing during long road.
  • and all im saying is the "scene" you find so offensive is no different than the "scene" surrounding grunge when it first broke in the 90s. the only reason you dont take your holier-than-thou attitude with grunge is becos you were born 10 years too late for it. people said the same shit about grunge that you're saying right not about emo. "fake people wallowing in fake pain to look cool." time proved them wrong in some semse. and in another 10 years, the few remaining emo fans (like us few remaining grunge fans) will be on a holgraphic msg board bitching about whatever is trendy at the moment. emo is no better or no worse than any other music trend.

the big difference, now, is the circumstances surrounding where these band members came from...whereas, in the 90's, most of those bands came from dysfunction, of some sort...EMO, to me, has always been manufactured grief and pain...from suburbanites that had american eagle instead of abercrombie and fitch...but, that's my opinion...i like some of it...but, if i don't like some of it it's because i just don't like the way it sounds. i don't deal well with this whole scene, category thing...i just like music that sounds good to me.
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
    and all im saying is the "scene" you find so offensive is no different than the "scene" surrounding grunge when it first broke in the 90s. the only reason you dont take your holier-than-thou attitude with grunge is becos you were born 10 years too late for it. people said the same shit about grunge that you're saying right not about emo. "fake people wallowing in fake pain to look cool." time proved them wrong in some semse. and in another 10 years, the few remaining emo fans (like us few remaining grunge fans) will be on a holgraphic msg board bitching about whatever is trendy at the moment. emo is no better or no worse than any other music trend.

why can't you see I am not talking about nor care about the "trend" I am going only by the music.. sure there was the bullshit commercials trying to incorporate "grunge fashion" at fucking sears in 1992.. but that is just marketing people being their true evil selves.. this new scene has no music to back it.. it is solely marketed for the masses.. plain and simple.. it has no artistic merit whatsoever
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • bharQ wrote:
    why can't you see I am not talking about nor care about the "trend" I am going only by the music.. sure there was the bullshit commercials trying to incorporate "grunge fashion" at fucking sears in 1992.. but that is just marketing people being their true evil selves.. this new scene has no music to back it.. it is solely marketed for the masses.. plain and simple.. it has no artistic merit whatsoever

this is your opininon on this type of music...qualify that, at least.
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
    this is your opininon on this type of music...qualify that, at least.

of course its my opinion.. is that not why we are here?
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • I dont know anything about this type of music but a friend of mine told me recently that the band Neutral Milk Hotel is like EMO music, is this true?
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
    bharQ wrote:
    of course its my opinion.. is that not why we are here?

it is. but you cross the line from expressing your opinion into acting like an arrogant snob when you act like it's an objective fact and anyone who feels otherwise is stupid for doing so.
    it is. but you cross the line from expressing your opinion into acting like an arrogant snob when you act like it's an objective fact and anyone who feels otherwise is stupid for doing so.

its just having confidence in what you believe in.. if thats see as arrogant so be it.. i have no time for weak minded people
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
    I dont know anything about this type of music but a friend of mine told me recently that the band Neutral Milk Hotel is like EMO music, is this true?

They've been around a while.. they have some pretty interesting stuff.. the guy uses distortion on an acoustic guitar a lot on the album I have.. I forgot what its called.. Aeroplane over the sea?
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
    the big difference, now, is the circumstances surrounding where these band members came from...whereas, in the 90's, most of those bands came from dysfunction, of some sort...EMO, to me, has always been manufactured grief and pain...from suburbanites that had american eagle instead of abercrombie and fitch...but, that's my opinion...i like some of it...but, if i don't like some of it it's because i just don't like the way it sounds. i don't deal well with this whole scene, category thing...i just like music that sounds good to me.

i get the feeling that is the point of the scene. they dont have any vent to their rage becos people like you say they're not ever allowed to feel bad becos look at all the stuff they have! you have to have been pumping gas and strung out on heroin to REALLY have something worth singing about. they've spent a lifetime being put on mood drugs and being told not to complain becos they've got nothing to complain about. they're getting screwed both ways becos people say "possessions arent the key to happiness" yet at the same time denying them any right to be upset becos "look at all the possessions you have."

shit, by the same token you would have to say anything brett easton ellis wrote is shit becos he was rich and grew up rich and his books are about the vacuous nature of rich life... and he shouldnt be whining cos he's rich? emo is about not being satisfied with the shit their suburban upbringing tells them will make them happy. you all agree that it doesnt make people happy, yet say these guys ahve no excuse to be unhappy cos they've got it. it's a total double standard. you're allowed to hate that lifestyle cos you never had it (envy?) but they can't hate it cos the pricks dont know how lucky they have it.
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    bharQ wrote:
    AFI were a totally different band back in the day.. I used to like Art of Drowning and the albums before that

well yeah they kind of alienated their older fans, I like the new stuff though. But AOD is my favorite.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • CollinCollin Posts: 4,931
    I don't know, Ten left me speechless, the guitars, Ed's voice, the rage, the emotions... and I wasn't a teen in '92, I am a teen now(19). A lot of "grunge" bands did that to me. I never felt that way about linkin park, good charlotte and all the others (of course there were less emo bands 4 years ago). So to me it definitely wasn't about a trend or anything, I was the only guy I knew that listened to pearl jam, I needed someone to talk with about pearl jam so I came here. I have a few 16-year-old friends, they listen to the classics like led zep and pink floyd and death metal. One guy told me that today's band just didn't feel or sound honest or true. I gave him a copy of ten, he was hooked (he was pissed when he found out he missed the european tour). I mean, why is it that whenever I lend someone my pearl jam cd's they become pj fans? It's because they better musically and lyrically. People feel that their music is honest and apparently emo bands lack that quality.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
    Collin wrote:
    I don't know, Ten left me speechless, the guitars, Ed's voice, the rage, the emotions... and I wasn't a teen in '92, I am a teen now(19). A lot of "grunge" bands did that to me. I never felt that way about linkin park, good charlotte and all the others (of course there were less emo bands 4 years ago). So to me it definitely wasn't about a trend or anything, I was the only guy I knew that listened to pearl jam, I needed someone to talk with about pearl jam so I came here. I have a few 16-year-old friends, they listen to the classics like led zep and pink floyd and death metal. One guy told me that today's band just didn't feel or sound honest or true. I gave him a copy of ten, he was hooked (he was pissed when he found out he missed the european tour). I mean, why is it that whenever I lend someone my pearl jam cd's they become pj fans? It's because they better musically and lyrically. People feel that their music is honest and apparently emo bands lack that quality.

some of them do. but you're giving your buddy the best of grunge. what about the dozens of grunge clones that followed in pj's wake? that's why we hate emo. we see the most mediocre pretenders of it. it'd be like handing someone a seven mary three cd and saying these guys are total alternative man. they rock! they'd think you were nuts. time has weeded out the bad grunge imitators and the only ones anyone remembers or listens to are the good ones. look at a band like blind melon... nobody knew them then, now people hear after the hype and wondered that they missed it. this is what emo is now. emo bands are being signed left and right, good or bad. so we see a ton of shit. but with time, the crappy ones will be gone and we'll see that emo was the same as every other movement... a label applied to sell magazines, with some great bands and a dozen charicatures. there is good emo out there and time will show it. all im saying is nobody should close their ears to good music just becos of the label applied to it.

and now im gonna go home and listen to 'clarity' by jimmy eat world.
    People used to call At The Drive-In emo when they first started getting popular.

They are in my mind the greatest band of the late 90s.

there is a great Cedric quote on the term "emo".. I can't find it but the just of it is how stupid it is to throw names like that on bands.. if you are truly passionate about your music how can that not come from true emotion..
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • a lot of bands have fans blowing cos it's fucking hot on that stage in front of the lights. watch tb2k. there's a fan blowing during long road.

Sure, but the way it was described and the videos of 30Secs, I tend to think they're being more theatrical. That's ok if a person likes that, but doesn't it seem a bit pretentious.