EMO music is cool.....

Comments

• why is an emo concert safer then a rap concert......

.....because all the kids want to cut themselves and not you

thats pretty funny and one i haven't heard yet. what's also funny is the emo haircut. i got say i like the cure and don't think it sounds anything like what is being called emo today. it doesn't sound like the eighties, but some of the new chris brown/neyo shit does sound exactly like crap pop from about 1986, and that kinda funny to me to.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • Apart from the music, I think the worst thing about emo's is that stupid fucking haircut.

http://www.bighassle.com/publicity/paramore_rgb_1.jpg

They all have the same haircut! Why? Why? What's wrong with just being individual?? About 99.9% of kids at my school have the same wonky hair and they still think it's cool :rolleyes:
  • i agree with most of you that the majority of emo sux really bad and the Corny ass scene kids that walk around the malls and other places trying really hard to look cool need to be punched. they try really hard to be nonconformists and dress differently, but in doing so they form their own conformity.
    some bands that are really bad include:
    Fallout boy
    Good charlotte
    panic! at the disco

but there are some emo bands that arent that bad Include:
    Thursday
    Thrice
    The Early november
    Brand New
    Coheed and Cambria
    Sparta
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
  • http://tn3-2.deviantart.com/fs8/300W/i/2005/324/b/f/Emo_Emu_by_sootysueandsweep.jpg

but i also agree with whoever said ALL music is emotional and fuck labels. if you enjoy it, more power to ya.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • JamalJamal Posts: 2,115
    E.K wrote:
    Robert Smith is 45 years old now, still wears lipstick and still sounds awesome. What I don't like about these "Emo" bands is that basically they are trying to copy something which was already done in the 1980s and doing a shitty job of it.
    give it up for Robert

but I do prefer Robert Plant to be honest
    Surf little waves big... Charge big waves hard

- Antwerp '06, Nijmegen '07, Werchter '07
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    dangerboy wrote:
    the fathers of emo? maybe if your musical perspective starts in about 1990. ever heard of joy division? the smiths? bauhaus? the cure?

eddie and kurt? please....

he has a point though. pearl jam's early stuff was all about introverted "my life is so hard" lyrics. there's nothing inherently wrong with that.

how is leash different from any other "im sick of adults telling me what to do" songs?
    pjrvm wrote:
    I don't think you can say the same thing about fans of PJ, Nirvana and Velvet Underground, or even Blink 182 and the like..

you could in 1992. and blink 182 is 10 times as bad as 90% of the emo crap out there. but that doesnt mean any band that gets shelved in the emo section is automatic shit. as in any genre, there's good and bad.
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    talkin´ about music, ´´grunge´´ bands were,are far away better than emo bands... no doubt about it

but talkin about image i concur with some comentaries because there was a grunge trend too: same cut hair ´´mid long hair´´ , same clothes, shirts,flannels, boots, converse, torn classic jeans...
  • geniegenie Posts: 2,222
    All Music is emotional.

I agree, most music is emotional. Take for example blues genre, blues has often sad lyrics, but it's music is beautiful.
    Just because lyrics are depressing doesn't mean that its an emo band.
    How can anyone compare Pearl Jam and Nirvana ( two of my favourite bands ) to some emo genre???
    Emo is crap, it reminds me of pop music only it's got guitars and bunch of people dressed in black usually sining in high pitched voices.
    When i listen to music i listen to interesting riffs & solos, melody, sound.
    Emo doesn't have any of that, its just an irritating noise.
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    he has a point though. pearl jam's early stuff was all about introverted "my life is so hard" lyrics. there's nothing inherently wrong with that.

how is leash different from any other "im sick of adults telling me what to do" songs?

it "rocks"
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • cutback wrote:
    I'm so glad that someone mentioned the Cure as EMO. I saw the title of the thread and thought that Emo Phillips started a music career.:)

Ha, that's funny. I had a roommate in college who was a big Cure guy. I heard enough of that shit to last me a lifetime.....the horror.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • my best friend here in vegas was unaware of the whole emo thing and thought i was saying nemo, so as were walking through town the last few days and see that rediculous haircut we point and say "look, its Nemo" - amusement for us.
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    The Crue are fucking awesome. Vince Neil would like totally kick someone's ass if he knew that people here were talking shit. And then he'd drink a beer and write a song about it.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
    Echoes wrote:
    it "rocks"

no doubt about that. but to rip on emo for having whiny lyrics is ridiculous. like one style of angst is somehow more credible than another.

now if you wanna rip emo cos the music is wussy as all hell, i wont stop ya. just saying grunge was every bit as much of an angsty, tortured fashion trend as emo.
  • By reading a few of the posts I think it's a good thing that I need to ask this question. What is emo? Do I like emo? WTF is EMO? :confused:
    "Underneath this smile lies everything - all my hopes, anger, pride and shame."
    By reading a few of the posts I think it's a good thing that I need to ask this question. What is emo? Do I like emo? WTF is EMO? :confused:

im not entirely sure. originally i thought it was bands like the get-up kids. poppy-punkish kinda music about how sad you are about your girlfriend. but ive lately heard a lot of bands get tossed into that heading that i wouldnt have expected. like bright eyes, sparta, or coheed and cambria. so ive no clue. i like jimmy eat world though, they're kinda the prototypical emo band.
  • emo = emotional ???
    "Underneath this smile lies everything - all my hopes, anger, pride and shame."
  • I like the uniform, always good for a laugh
    hate was just a legend
    people use emo today to describe really poppy pop-rock groups that seem to be mainly aimed at younger audiences. In any case, it was originally used to describe a band of hardcore with emotional lyrics, which was not the norm in hardore music at the time.
  • I remember the days when emo was just listening to Sunny Day Real Estate.

That's when I actually liked emo.

SDRE & And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead are the only 2 I can listen to.
    NERDS!
  • bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • i think this is emo, one of the most pop bands amongst the genre's fans. i remember several people telling me that i should get this band's cd. them i heard them and was like WTF are hearing in this. oh well, hear you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9fgzaLBKd0&mode=related&search=

here is a live example of the same band, note the blended pop-punk guitar and the generic voice you hear everywhere for the last few years, the two elements that may define the sub-genre:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD6oExe1Zrw
  • ok, one more. this is what most bands of 'emo' i've heard sounded like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjWJfpODVIY
    i think this is emo, one of the most pop bands amongst the genre's fans. i remember several people telling me that i should get this band's cd. them i heard them and was like WTF are hearing in this. oh well, hear you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9fgzaLBKd0&mode=related&search=

here is a live example of the same band, note the blended pop-punk guitar and the generic voice you hear everywhere for the last few years, the two elements that may define the sub-genre:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD6oExe1Zrw

that first link isn't so bad. I don't care much for their stage show, but I enjoyed the song well enough.
    ok, one more. this is what most bands of 'emo' i've heard sounded like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjWJfpODVIY

No offense, but that is pop-punk and not really indicitive of either of the first two waves of emo at all.
  • Echoes wrote:
    No offense, but that is pop-punk and not really indicitive of either of the first two waves of emo at all.

mmmm, then i'm confused. i tried looking up just "emo" on youtube and found that one and this one, same voice more distinction in the guitar though. what are the bands in the first two waves of it? i have liked the songs i've
    heard from AFI somewhat, is that emo?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F50U9gNjQ0w
    wave one
    Rights of spring, Moss Icon, Antioch Arrow

2nd
    Get Up Kids, Sunny Day Real Estate, Braid, Promise Ring, Elliot, Jawbox

SInce we're riding high the third wave of emo and emo labelled pop punk acts (blame Dashboard Confessional for starting this round, I guess), looking on youtube is going to give you things on the now and not at all indicitive of the history of it.
  • mmmm, then i'm confused. i tried looking up just "emo" on youtube and found that one and this one, same voice more distinction in the guitar though. what are the bands in the first two waves of it? i have liked the songs i've
    heard from AFI somewhat, is that emo?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F50U9gNjQ0w

AFI is considered Top shelf emo.

- lame haircut : yep
    - pale skin : yep
    - all black clothes : yep
    - make up : yep

I remember when AFI was punk and looked somewhat normal.

Here's an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xon5ffG07rA
    NERDS!
  • AFI is considered Top shelf emo.

- lame haircut : yep
    - pale skin : yep
    - all black clothes : yep
    - make up : yep

I remember when AFI was punk and looked somewhat normal.

Here's an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xon5ffG07rA

thats not so bad, doesn't inspire me to buy a cd or anything.
  • Echoes wrote:
    wave one
    Rights of spring, Moss Icon, Antioch Arrow

2nd
    Get Up Kids, Sunny Day Real Estate, Braid, Promise Ring, Elliot, Jawbox

SInce we're riding high the third wave of emo and emo labelled pop punk acts (blame Dashboard Confessional for starting this round, I guess), looking on youtube is going to give you things on the now and not at all indicitive of the history of it.

cool, thanks, i'm going to discover emo tonight. not really digging the music so far, but i'm open. i may even cut my hair flock of seagulls style - lmao, don't think so. the silly thing is the cutting of self, but they'll figure that out someday. wonder what will being going on when my kids are teens.