EMO music is cool.....

Comments

• thats not so bad, doesn't inspire me to buy a cd or anything.

That was old AFI. Here is the emo version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhhK5U14wcA&mode=related&search=
    NERDS!
  • That was old AFI. Here is the emo version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhhK5U14wcA&mode=related&search=
    sounds like eighties pop rock to me.
    i guess one band member didn't get the memo about the flock of seagulls hair cut coming back. lol.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • Echoes wrote:
    wave one
    Rights of spring, Moss Icon, Antioch Arrow

2nd
    Get Up Kids, Sunny Day Real Estate, Braid, Promise Ring, Elliot, Jawbox

SInce we're riding high the third wave of emo and emo labelled pop punk acts (blame Dashboard Confessional for starting this round, I guess), looking on youtube is going to give you things on the now and not at all indicitive of the history of it.

what i've found of these bands doesn't sound anything like what i think these kids are liking now. sounds more like alternative-lite, as we used to call it.
  • ok i found the band that the kids are considering to be a good emo band. they're called From First to Last, and it sounds just like i would think of emo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC6xYEje7Eo

and now i'm satisfied with my discovery, and i'm not a fan of most of the music. but to each their own. you know the fans of poison couldn't understand why we liked pj and soundgarden.
  • geniegenie Posts: 2,222
    my best friend here in vegas was unaware of the whole emo thing and thought i was saying nemo, so as were walking through town the last few days and see that rediculous haircut we point and say "look, its Nemo" - amusement for us.

That's funny, it could be a good new name for them
  • BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    How many EMO's does it take to change a lightbulb?

A - None they'd all rather sit in the dark and cry
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
  • genie wrote:
    That's funny, it could be a good new name for them

'Excuse me, I've lost my father. Have you seen him?' *SOB*

Yeah, that'd work :)
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • I have to agree with those who say that you can't simply describe emo music as being emotional or angst-ridden, as most musicians are emotional and several bands have written angst-ridden songs, notably some of our favourite bands from the '90s. Emo is a label to describe how certain bands express their emotion. Whiny, wussy, suicidal, empty, pathetic are terms that come to mind.

Of course, just like grunge and punk (etc.), emo has become a fashion and has spawned a group of teenagers known as emo kids.

Sadly, I have a teenage brother and am a teacher, so I hear about emo all the time. Thankfully, my brother is not emo and continuously complains about it. Although, does his complaining make him emo? ;)

The ABC's of "emo"

A-is for Alone, (and complaining A LOT about it)

B-is for Bracelets and lots of them

C- is for Crying and/or Cutting yourself

D-is for Dyed black hair

E-is for Emotion, and Exagerating every one you have

F- is for how much I'd like to FLOORPUNCH your sorry emo asses

G- is for Glasses, with think black rims

H-is for Heartbreak...oh Boo hoo, go kill yourself already

I- is for Intense pain, you feel everyday, because, well...your emo...

J-is for Jaded...

K- is for Kissing, and whining about how you dont do it..Kill yourself!

L- is for Labels, such as "emo" and "scene"

M-is for Mood swings, first your laughing in a mosh pit, then, your killing yourself (again)

N-is for Never having friends that care for you ... go kill yourself

O- is for Old man pants... go play in traffic (i cant stress that enough)

P-is for Picked last in gym class....

Q-is for Questioning your self worth...what are you worth? NOTHING!

R-is for Remembering your great past times, then crying because now, as an emo kid, your life SUCKS

S-is for Sweaters...enough said...

T-is for Thrift Stores, so you can make up your clothes.

U-is for Underdeveloped muscles..see how skinny emo's are..COME ON

V-is for Vegan, maybe that's why you're skinny and no girl/boy likes you

W-is for Whining, about how your parents make six figures, but cant afford to buy you love OR new clothes

X-is for X-girl/boyfriends, I dunno, you write enough songs about how sad they made you...GOD...go kill yourself...

Y-is for You are SO stupid.... and Y, Y are you emo? Is it making you a better person or changing the world? No! So, stop talking about killing yourself and actually do it!

Z- is for Zooming in with your camera, because your a photographer ... although you only take one kind of stupid senseless picture and there's THOUSANDS of you...
    No time to be void or save up on life. You got to spend it all.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    I remember the days when emo was just listening to Sunny Day Real Estate.

That's when I actually liked emo.

SDRE & And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead are the only 2 I can listen to.

this is what im talking about... trail of the dead is emo?
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    I wonder what it's like when two emo peeps are doing it?
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • CollinCollin Posts: 4,931
    Emo is so ridiculous, I mean stop crying and whining, we get it, you're a loser, your dad is a real meanie and the beautiful girl you love doesn't want to be with a whiny loser who sits and the dark and paints his eyes black.
    Binaural wrote:
    How many EMO's does it take to change a lightbulb?

A - None they'd all rather sit in the dark and cry

:D

The Cure fuckin' rocks by the way.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • MCGMCG Posts: 780
    but there are some emo bands that arent that bad Include:
    Thursday
    Thrice
    The Early november
    Brand New
    Coheed and Cambria
    Sparta

Sparta? Really? Not a band I would consider emo. I think I saw Jawbox in here somewhere too. So very confused.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    fanch75 wrote:
    I wonder what it's like when two emo peeps are doing it?

Emotional im sure.

I dont really know what all this emo stuff is about. I saw someone posting on here that bloc Party were emo and i love them. I dont like MCR/panic/Fallout boy though.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • MCG wrote:
    Sparta? Really? Not a band I would consider emo. I think I saw Jawbox in here somewhere too. So very confused.
    Sparta is very emo, especially Wiretap Scars, even itunes specifies them as an emo band, not that iTunes is the anaswer to all questions
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    i wish my grass was emo so it would cut itself
    i wish my hair was emo so i wouldnt have to pay to get it cut
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    dangerboy wrote:
    don't forget the girl jeans

i blame all this on the cure. they sucked in the 80's, but for some reason chicks liked them. i think emo boys turned into pussies to emulate that robert what's-his-nuts in hopes of scoring with chicks

Don't compare the fucking cure to bullshit emo music.. the cure were original and great songwriters in their day.. these emo kids wish they were the fucking cure
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
    Apart from the music, I think the worst thing about emo's is that stupid fucking haircut.

http://www.bighassle.com/publicity/paramore_rgb_1.jpg

They all have the same haircut! Why? Why? What's wrong with just being individual?? About 99.9% of kids at my school have the same wonky hair and they still think it's cool :rolleyes:

they dont relize it now but they are the same thing as skids and hair metal bangers in the 80s.. fucking losers
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818
    what gets me about EMO is you have 16 year old kids talking about losing the love of their life and singing about relationships and how they want to end their life and all they do is cry, cut themselves, and write poetry to ease their pain...here is some advice grow some balls, get a hair cut, a shirt that fits and get over it, it wont be the first time and wont be the last you get screwed over by a woman...haha
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    pjalive21 wrote:
    what gets me about EMO is you have 16 year old kids talking about losing the love of their life and singing about relationships and how they want to end their life and all they do is cry, cut themselves, and write poetry to ease their pain...here is some advice grow some balls, get a hair cut, a shirt that fits and get over it, it wont be the first time and wont be the last you get screwed over by a woman...haha

you mean like in that song black where the singer is moaning about how he'll have to live with the knowledge that the love of his life will be happier with another man?
    bharQ wrote:
    they dont relize it now but they are the same thing as skids and hair metal bangers in the 80s.. fucking losers

Yeah but the 80's kids were awesome.
    you mean like in that song black where the singer is moaning about how he'll have to live with the knowledge that the love of his life will be happier with another man?

At least he had (has) rage and long hair! And a flanel shirt and cool doc martin's. And the song didn't suck.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • You guys are all fucking idiots! Eddie and Kurt are the fathers of Emo. Personal sad lyrics. Maybe go back and listen to Ten. Black, Alive, Release.
    Nirvana's "You know your Right" when Kurt screams "Paaaaaiiiiinnnnnn."
    Haven't you seen videos of Ed crying on stage while singing? You're all fucking morons. If you think Emo is lame then thank Pj

What?!?

There is nothing remotely similar between Nirvana todays crop of bands such as My Chemical Romance etc who are TOTALLY based on image.

If anything PJ and Nirvana were and stiil are the very antithisis of this dire movement. Yes Kurt sang 'Paaaaaiiiinnnnn'. He sang it from his fuckin heart. 'Grunge', and i use that term cautiously, was about not having an image, about being yourself. It wasn't about wearing your sisters black jeans, having £30 styled haircuts and pretending your sad.

I have to admit, Ive totally lost faith in rock music today and Im only 22. Give my artists such as Damien Rice, Bjork, Radiohead and Tom Waits anyday.
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • you mean like in that song black where the singer is moaning about how he'll have to live with the knowledge that the love of his life will be happier with another man?

Sang it from his heart though.

Plus, image aside, Emo's dreadful, musically makes Greenday sound like Pink Floyd.
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    This thread is completely RIDICULOUS....a bunch of thirty-somethings complaining about the music of the youth of this generation. I'm sure all of our/your parents said the same thing when Smells Like Teen Spirit was blaring from everyones stereos. If we were all in highschool right now most of us would be sporting black eyeliner and flock of seaqulls haircuts (rather than the flannel and Docs you all wore 15 years ago). Emo sucks - I miss the good old days of grunge, when music meant something....give me a break. It may not be my cup of tea at all - but I can certainly understand why the "scene" has taken hold with teenagers....thats just how it goes. All us old folks aren't supposed to like what the kids these days are listening too.
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
    Todd76 wrote:
    This thread is completely RIDICULOUS....a bunch of thirty-somethings comlaining about the music of the youth of this generation. I'm sure all of our/your parents said the same thing when Smells Like Teen Spirit was blaring from everyones stereos. If we were all in highschool right now most of us would be sporting black eyeliner and flock of seaqulls haircuts (rather than the flannel and Docs you all wore 15 years ago). Emo sucks - I miss the good old days of grunge, when music meant something....give me a break. It may not be my cup of tea at all - but I can certainly understand why the "scene" has taken hold with teenagers....thats just how it goes. All us old folks aren't supposed to like what the kids these days are listening too.

whatever.. 30 year olds that DIDNT latch on to the early 90s music were the ones missing out.. the ones that did were there because it was real music and not 80s hair metal shit.. they didn't give a fuck about it being the "trendy" music or an excuse to wear doc martins.. the reason we all hate the music the kids are listening to right now is because it is quite simply terrible.
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • Emo will be cool when they will make an EMO distortion pedal...
    "L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers"
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    bharQ wrote:
    whatever.. 30 year olds that DIDNT latch on to the early 90s music were the ones missing out.. the ones that did were there because it was real music and not 80s hair metal shit.. they didn't give a fuck about it being the "trendy" music or an excuse to wear doc martins.. the reason we all hate the music the kids are listening to right now is because it is quite simply terrible.

....and i'm sure if you talked to the teenagers who are into the "emo" scene right now they would say the exact same thing.....that "their" music is great/real/full of emotion. But in 15 years when the new trend hits they'll all be on the My Chemical Romance chat room complaining about how shitty the new music is....thats the point.

....its fairly ironic that everyone in this thread is whining about how whiny emo music is
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
    Todd76 wrote:
    ....and i'm sure if you talked to the teenagers who are into the "emo" scene right now they would say the exact same thing.....that "their" music is great/ real/full of emotion. But in 15 years when the new trend hits they'll all be on the My Chemical Romance chat room complaining about how shitty the new music is....thats the point.

....its fairly ironic that everyone in this thread is whining about how whiny emo music is

I'm not in my 30s, I'm in my teen years and emo just sucks, musically.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
    WHen I was a young man, I had to walk 5 miles to and from school, uphill both ways!
  • fanch75 wrote:
    WHen I was a young man, I had to walk 5 miles to and from school, uphill both ways!

... under 40 feet of snow.
    "L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers"
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau