Options

Mike Patton Appreciation Thread!!!

Comments

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,058
    The initial 11-track Peeping Tom outing will feature a spate of underground and mainstream experimentalists, including Kid Koala; Odd Nosdam; Doseone and Jel of the Bay Area hip-hop collective Anticon; Dale Crover of the Melvins; Massive Attack; Gorillaz beat maestro Dan "The Automator" Nakamura; human beatbox Rahzel the Godfather of Noyze; Cypress Hill's DJ Muggs; Amon Tobin; Brazilian chanteuse Bebel Gilberto; Brooklyn's Dub Trio; DJ Disk of the Invisibl Skratch Piklz; and rapper Kool Keith.

"It's very streamlined, very slick — it's a groove record," Patton said. "I used programmers and producers from the electronic world and the hip-hop world, in some cases. If there's a sound to [the record], it leans into those worlds. There are simple structures. I'm singing, there's lyrics — to me, it's a pop record. It's something I'd want to turn on the radio and hear."

One of the album's highlights, Patton said, is "Sucker," which boasts the pipes of Norah Jones. "It's a pretty vulgar song," he said, laughing. "You don't recruit someone like that unless you ... I mean, I had something real specific in mind for her, and I wanted to take her out of her element and put her in a new environment and make it exciting, and she loved it. She did great. But yeah, you won't recognize Norah. She's cussing her ass off. It's insane. She's like a cruel vamp, and it's super sexy, hot and, yeah, cruel."

**Set to be released May 30**
  • Options
    Awesome, thanks for the update! I think I'll throw on some Angel Dust in celebration.
    "We've done really well with teenage death songs." -EV
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I'm gonna bump so this thread doesn't sink. Patton is truly one of the most talented people on earth.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    stone720stone720 Posts: 49
    Mike Patton is a fucking genius. I first saw him in concert 13 years ago with FNM. That man is absolutely insane in concert. The vocal range that he has is rare. For those of you who don't know a lot about him, you can find a lot of good stuff on YouTube. I know that he was on Conan a few weeks ago with Peeping Tom. His movie Firecracker should be in video stores on July 4th.
  • Options
    cubbieblue82cubbieblue82 Posts: 292
    I like Faith no More alright, but I saw Mr. Bungle open for Primus a long while ago, and I must say it was awful!

I guess that's what he's going for though, too each his own.
    Obama/Biden '08!!!
  • Options
    mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,282
    Ah!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Great to see this thread revived.. If you havn't already, go pick up Peeping Tom. He is doing a full tour them. Don't miss a Patton project when he comes to your town... Expect more tomahawk and another Peeping tom album next year.
  • Options
    InkdaubInkdaub Posts: 235
    I'm a Patton follower no question.
  • Options
    VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    Oh how kick ASS that someone BUMPED up the PATTON LOVE! Woooo!
    :D

That does it! It's time for some Sweet Charity action before I go to bed. :D;)

This intro??
    *does the hula*
    :p

haha.

CHA......*Sweet Charity* BO BA BA...Haaah...BO BA BA....Haaah.......HAAAAaaahhHH
    :cool:

Can't say it enough...this man RULES!
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤
    ...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • Options
    pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    just to let you guys know, the peeping tom album kicks ass and you all should buy it.
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • Options
    PJ-SinPJ-Sin Posts: 348
    BUMPITY BUMP BUMP ..Much love for Patton!!!

I saw someone mention Lovage, that is some great laid back music. Whats it called "songs to make love to your old lady by" or something like that.

I am VERY suprised after 5 pages that no one has mentioned his work with Dillinger Escape Plan. That is by far some of his best stuff (and some of DEP's best too) Especially the cover of "Come to Daddy" (Aphex Twin)
  • Options
    VEDHEAD27 wrote:
    Oh how kick ASS that someone BUMPED up the PATTON LOVE! Woooo!
    :D
    I am to please :D!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    didemdidem Posts: 50
    "epic" was legendary...
    no brain no pain....
  • Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    i got The Real Thing ages ago and really liked it and then got Angel Dust yesterday. I have to say it is awesome!!! I know I'm not a hardcore Patton fan with all his Mr Bungle, Fantomas and Tomahawk albums but I still wanna register my appreciation.

Angel Dust is awesome, great buy man, good investment.
  • Options
    Stef83Stef83 Posts: 15
    I absolutely love Mike Patton, I've seen Fantomas twice now and they're one of the best acts i've seen.

If anyone here goes on Giventowail.com my name is Fantomas.

Mike Patton = The Man, The Myth, The Legend.
    It's always funny until someone gets hurt, and then it's just hilarious!!
  • Options
    stone720stone720 Posts: 49
    Only 11 more days until Mike's movie comes out on DVD.
  • Options
    I was spinning Bungle's self-titled record today so I thought it was time for a thread revival. seriously... has Patton ever been psychoanalysed? cos I'd love to read the case study. quote, unquote is so insane...
  • Options
    Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    Seeing any Mike Patton project live is an experience like no other...and i've seen most of them - Mr Bungle, Lovage, Tomahawk, Fantomas, Peeping Tom, Faith No More....hes like a mad scientist up there conducting his orchestra. The Mr Bungle show I saw on the California tour was one of the best shows i've ever seen....to just stand back and truly enjoy somebody that amazing at what they do, unlike anything i've ever heard before - blows me away that their music could sound so random and chaotic and yet be so tight and completely under his control.....the best true vocalist in alternative music history IMO

"Patton utilizes a wide variety of vocal styles and techniques, and so his performances can (and often do) include airy falsetto passages, Sinatra-esque lounge crooning, death metal grunts, Medieval-style chanting, an abrasive take on scat singing featuring various shrieks, screeches, and the occasional jostling of his Adam's apple while singing, as well as a variety of authentic-sounding vocal emulations of things such as flowing water, a train, or a computer voice. This diversity has earned him the respect of numerous critics and fans, who consider him one of the most talented vocalists in recorded music.".....GENIUS - i think i'll throw on California when I get home tonight
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • Options
    Todd76 wrote:
    Seeing any Mike Patton project live is an experience like no other...and i've seen most of them - Mr Bungle, Lovage, Tomahawk, Fantomas, Peeping Tom, Faith No More....hes like a mad scientist up there conducting his orchestra. The Mr Bungle show I saw on the California tour was one of the best shows i've ever seen....to just stand back and truly enjoy somebody that amazing at what they do, unlike anything i've ever heard before - blows me away that their music could sound so random and chaotic and yet be so tight and completely under his control.....the best true vocalist in alternative music history IMO

"Patton utilizes a wide variety of vocal styles and techniques, and so his performances can (and often do) include airy falsetto passages, Sinatra-esque lounge crooning, death metal grunts, Medieval-style chanting, an abrasive take on scat singing featuring various shrieks, screeches, and the occasional jostling of his Adam's apple while singing, as well as a variety of authentic-sounding vocal emulations of things such as flowing water, a train, or a computer voice. This diversity has earned him the respect of numerous critics and fans, who consider him one of the most talented vocalists in recorded music."
    He really is a perfect example of using his voice as an instrument. Sometimes you don't even care what he's singing (since half the time they aren't words) because his voice is just another lead instrument.
  • Options
    --saw fnm open on the gnr/metallica tour years ago.
    --peeping tom cd rocks.
    --"adult themes for voice" is an insanely amazing recording, recorded in various hotel rooms, with nothing but his voice & a mic.
    --anyone seen the movie yet-- firecracker?

peace,
    lz
    The world is like a ride in an amusement park, and when you choose to go on it you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds are. The ride goes up and down, around and around, it has thrills and chills, and it's very brightly colored, and it's very loud, and it's fun for a while. Many people have been on the ride a long time, and they begin to wonder, "Hey, is this real, or is this just a ride?" And other people have remembered, and they come back to us and say, "Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever. Because this is just a ride." And we...kill those people. "Shut him up! I've got a lot invested in this ride, shut him up! Look at my furrows of worry, look at my big bank account, and my family. This has to be real." It's just a ride. But we always kill the good guys who try and tell us that, you ever notice that? And let the demons run amok? But it doesn't matter, because it's just a ride. And we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings of money. Just a simple choice, right now, between fear and love. The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your doors, buy guns, close yourself off. The eyes of love instead see all of us as one. Here's what we can do to change the world, right now, to a better ride. Take all that money we spend on weapons and defenses each year and instead spend it feeding and clothing and educating the poor of the world, which it would pay for many times over, not one human being excluded, and we could explore space, together, both inner and outer, forever, in peace.
    --Bill Hicks
  • Options
    PeryPery Posts: 1,740
    Never is too late to express my admiration to Mr Mike Patton :cool:

Your Excellence! you are a musical genius.

It's impresive how he change the rythm of a song, without losing harmony. I love his music.
    Buenos Aires 25 - 11 - 2005
    Buenos Aires 26 - 11 - 2005

********Proud 2 b Jammer!*******
  • Options
    eleonoraeleonora Posts: 3,198
    I can`t believe this thread exists!!!!

I love FAITH NO MORE....

I remember one show and it was in 1995, in Buenos Aires (Ferro stadium...)
    It was the time of "king for a day, fool for a lifetime"

This one the only time I could see the band... apart from that I admire him, he`s always making new things like Mr bungle, fantomas,lovage...
    And now peeping tom, I really like it.................."PATTON =GOD"

What`s your opinion of peeping tom?
    " You, you are so special
    You have the talent to
    Make me feel like dirt
    And you, you use your
    Talent to dig me under
    And cover me with dirt.."
  • Options
    eleonoraeleonora Posts: 3,198
    VEDHEAD27 wrote:
    Oh OH....and hearing this man sing Portishead's GLORY BOX?!?! :eek: :o

WOOOOW! Fuckin brilliant! Made some people respect/appreciate and love even more. GO MIKE!!!!!!!
    Yes! He did it in Chile, my neighbour country ...
    " You, you are so special
    You have the talent to
    Make me feel like dirt
    And you, you use your
    Talent to dig me under
    And cover me with dirt.."
  • Options
    Fantomas "Directors cut" one of my favorites also recently getting into Tomahawk "Mit Gas" though that ones not for everybody.
  • Options
    This thread needs a revival. Bought King for a day, fool for a lifetime today. its awesome. Also has anyone heard the track that mike did with Handsome Boy Modelling school? or the stuff with John Zorn for that matter? truly great stuff.
  • Options
    Stef83Stef83 Posts: 15
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    This thread needs a revival. Bought King for a day, fool for a lifetime today. its awesome. Also has anyone heard the track that mike did with Handsome Boy Modelling school? or the stuff with John Zorn for that matter? truly great stuff.

Yeah I have a CD of all of Mikes side projects and stuff. It's fantastic.

Also have an mp3 disk of 50 live Bungle tracks and all the Bungle demos.
    It's always funny until someone gets hurt, and then it's just hilarious!!
  • Options
    Anyone heard Mike's album with Eyvind Kang? "Virginal Co-Ordinates". seems really cool. It's basically really cool classical/jazz music with Mike's vocals. Much more melodic and serious than his usual stuff. sounds like a truly amazing record. check out some of the tracks at http://www.myspace.com/eyvindkang1
  • Options
    niallniall Posts: 244
    I too am a patton freak. I own most stuff he has doen even the two album he recently did with John zorn, moonchild and astronome. On the second album he makes sounds with water in his mouth. It's odd and a very uneasy listen. A very under-rated talent. I am looking forward to the new lovage album but I have heard jennifer charles will not be on it.
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,766
    Hot dog! I have to start selling off my stuff so I can get different stuff. So much noise, so little tCiAmSeH.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475
    I didn't know this thread existed! 

Patton is the shit, easily my favorite artist / performer of all time. I've seen most of his acts over the last 25 years, and I've never walked away disappointed.

Would have loved a second Lovage album, but whatever.

I'm looking forward to the new Tomahawk album for sure. The last album Oddfellows wasn't their best, but had some gems IMO.