Love for Stone Gossard Thread

Comments

• shit! I didn't get home from work till after the show is over. Ahh well I'll get the show eventually. I'm just sorry I missed the Stone interview. Thanks for the synopsis. :)
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • lgt wrote:
    Hello all,

I have been typing up - while listening to the concert on the web - what Stone said to the Italian radio guy.

Key points:

Stone interview took place before the Milan show.

Pearl Jam introduced as a band of friends, that still connect now like the did 15, 20 years ago.

Was asked about the first 2 shows in Italy (Bologna and Verona) and said he thought Verona was better, it had more energy and that the bad weather (it rained so very much and stopped only an hour or less into the show) actually helped energizing the band and crowd, because you focus more on the music, less on yourself.

Was asked about playing in Italy, a country which adore them (so true!) and where the last album debuted at number 1.

Said they love Italy, the cities, the monuments. Mentioned that he's just finished reading a book about Leonardo da Vinci Flight of the Mind (i think that's called)

Also, mentioned that the new album is one of the few that can be played live in its entirety (and they did in Turin!).

----

Part 2

Ed's a tremendous singer-songwriter. He loves being in PJ, it's his home. His ability with voice, lyrics, words... Eddie has the same quality as Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen. He's really sth special. I am just happy to be a part of it.
    Ed's unique, to be as good as he is and still wanting to co-write with everyone in the end, whereas other frontmen would find that restrictive. He loves to play in a band and chooses to keep playing his old punk rock band. We played like we did in the past.

You have talked about your love for the music, sth that connects you ...
    The reason behind my playing music, picking up an instrument is enthusiasm. We are not great virtuoso musicians, but there is sth exciting about the simplicity of two-three chords - we have learned that from Neil Young - but that simplicity is the perfect vehicle to get out this emotion, feeling.

Another important element in your music is the need for a new American Dream.
    Ed sang the patriot song - I don't know if you've heard him.... Everyone can relate to feelings of loyalty, connection to groups you identify with, but you also need to be able to see the polarity in the world. Eddie sings like an American patriot. There are positive aspects
    I appreciate the way Eddie talks about America and questions it and also embraces being American by doing that.

You have donated for the carbon reduction strategy; you took part in the Vote for Change tour. You were the youngest representative at that tour.
    Thank you. We wanted to challenge the status quo, so when we have opportunities to do that, it's a good thing.

Presenter gives his view that he believes PJ the greatest band in the last 20 yrs in terms of classic rock.
    I don't think we have done anything more than the Who and Led Zeppelin yet. But Ed's capable of that. I certainly think Ed's one of the greatest singers of all time.

I am proud we continue to play rock music. I love what we do, sth that also allows you to make mistakes, doing always sth different with setlist. I am proud that we do not take ourselves
    This is because we want to be spontaneous and always try to keep it move it forward.

---

ah, it's taking me longer than anticipated to post this, as I got distracted listening to the webcast and had to share my enthusiasm w/ the board!! :D

I'll post and then re-edit. They also mentioned there will be a Stone podcast after the show. So I'll check that out. So, goes my Friday night! :D:D

Laura

thanks good stuff i appreciatted this
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • I really appreciate this too! I listened to the interview, but since they were translating in Italian, most of the time I couldn't tell what he was saying. I did hear him say how he thinks Ed is one of the best singers of all time though! Aww, so sweet!

Thanks again!
    The more I see the less I know for sure. - John Lennon
  • Wow, that Mexican mariachi vid was the cutest thing I've seen in a long time. I think it just made my day!
    "This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence" - The Young Ones
  • Oh dear Laura... thank you so much for translating the paragraph from the radio site and for giving us info on the Stone interview. Especially while trying to listen to the broadcast :eek: Now that's LOVE and you are aces :)
    For the Love of Stone baby!! Again, thank you, thank you for posting!

Is he not the humblest guy (rockstar LOL) ever?? ...giving so much credit to Ed when we all know it's Stone's light that makes Pearl Jam stars. Well, all five of them are fantastic really... Stone just happens to rule 'round these parts ;)

And the birthday and mariachi vids were soooooo awesome... love to see Stone smilin' and havin' a good time on stage, feelin' the love of his bandmates and thousands in the crowd. Ahhhh...
    Love how the mariachi guys kept saying his name, like "Estun" sort of :p

And I *almost* hate to go off-topic but someone posted a link to a bunch of PJ photos in here earlier this week... did you catch this TOTALLY PERFECT one of Mikey?? I have NEVER seen a better picture of him:
    http://img222.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mikepointho0.jpg
    Calling Mr. Pulitzer... we have a winner for 2006. Holy shit, that's a fantastic photo!!!

And back to Stone... one more show and he'll be on his way home (I assume). Somehow, Seattle's just a better place when he's home. Wonder who's picking him up from the airport this time :D:D:D
    ... wish the world could go again with love ...
  • MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
    And back to Stone... one more show and he'll be on his way home (I assume). Somehow, Seattle's just a better place when he's home. Wonder who's picking him up from the airport this time :D:D:D

Maybe it will be his daddy again :p

Hey, are you going to be @ Bridge School? :)
    ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~
    ~*STONEY PONY all the WAY!*~
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    "For the world, not for the war"-Neil Finn
  • Wow, that Mexican mariachi vid was the cutest thing I've seen in a long time. I think it just made my day!
    I LOL'd when the guitar player played behind his neck ala Mike McC...

Just heard the 6/06 E Rutherford boot... great show, fantastic version of Hard To Imagine because Stone writes the best guitar parts of anyone around...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aubBqXn2BL0

and of course the famous version of Don't Gimme No Lip
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxrOgorf3fM
    and the sweeeeeet things Stone says about Eddie :)

Yes MissMeddle, I'm going to THE BRIDGE!! next month... my first time, excited beyond words to see TReznor.. oh and the rest of the acts ;):p
  • lgtlgt Posts: 720
    or rather lack of it.. sorry!

There's no podcast yet and the only thing I scribbled down and missed typing was Stone's comments about being fortunate because of the great fans they have and that they are able to concentrate on making music and concerts.

Now, I can catch up with the rest of the thread and see what I have missed out while I have been on a high because of the Italian shows! :D:D:D

Coming to think of it, I should share with you my Stone story from Pistoia! :D

Contrary to my plans for my first 10c concert, I didn't have my Stone pick t-shirt on as my sister stole it from me!!! She saw it and liked it so much, so after spreading the word about Pearl Jam and Stone I let her keep my t-shirt... maybe I should have waited until after Pistoia!

Anyway, I was lucky enough to end up in front of Stone at that show and together with other fans we got a Stone chant going at a certain point... you would have been proud!! :D
    Stone gave us a huge smile! But throughout the evening he was having such a great time, they all were! It was good to see! :)

Towards the end of the show, he disappeared for a minute or so and then he came out again and down the stairs to speak to a couple in front row and hand out, then throw some picks...!!!! it landed next to me... :(
    Next time!!! :D
  • lgt wrote:

There's no podcast yet and the only thing I scribbled down and missed typing was Stone's comments about being fortunate because of the great fans they have and that they are able to concentrate on making music and concerts.

Now, I can catch up with the rest of the thread and see what I have missed out while I have been on a high because of the Italian shows! :D:D:D

Contrary to my plans for my first 10c concert, I didn't have my Stone pick t-shirt on as my sister stole it from me!!! She saw it and liked it so much, so after spreading the word about Pearl Jam and Stone I let her keep my t-shirt... maybe I should have waited until after Pistoia!

Anyway, I was lucky enough to end up in front of Stone at that show and together with other fans we got a Stone chant going at a certain point... you would have been proud!! :D
    Stone gave us a huge smile! But throughout the evening he was having such a great time, they all were! It was good to see! :)

Towards the end of the show, he disappeared for a minute or so and then he came out again and down the stairs to speak to a couple in front row and hand out, then throw some picks...!!!! it landed next to me... :(

Wow, it sounds like you had an amazing time!
  • lgt wrote:

STONE CHANT !! YEAH! yes, very proud, it was a chant from us all!!!!
    I will start one going for us in Australia too....Melb 2 & 3, 6 & 7 rows back Stone's side *can't stop smiling already*

Oh and thanks lgt for your initial translation of Stone interview - so nice and much appreciated :)
    ~~The sea will rise, please stand by the shore~~
    ~~~~Oh I will be, I will be there once more~~~~

2006 Tour
    10/11 Brisbane
    13/11 Melbourne
    14/11 Melbourne
    16/11 Melbourne
    19/11 Newcastle
    25/11 Perth

Hall-le-lu-jah !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • courtesy of DriftingbytheStorm via another thread

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=217686

Stone with the trademark leg cross!!! ***looks so old and wise*** yet giggling and pulling out "it has all new songs" comment LOL!

2006 Tour
    10/11 Brisbane
    13/11 Melbourne
    14/11 Melbourne
    16/11 Melbourne
    19/11 Newcastle
    25/11 Perth

• VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    Oh dear! :o Laura thank you SO, SO much for translating that. Really...THANK YOU. I knew someone would pull through and it was my little Italia friend at that. How beautiful. But hold up...Stoney....would you just gimme a frickin break??? There he goes praising Eddie again. AWWWWW! That is just too sweet/beautiful to deal with! Always turning the spotlight on someone else. I know Happenstance, he truly is far and beyond the most humblest guy out there. Yet another thing I love! Stoney is a VEDHEAD too! Sooooooo damn sweet! :)

BTW Happenstance~~from one Pony to another I wanted to wish you the ~**HAPPIEST HAPPIEST BIRTHDAY**~!!!
    I hope you had a quacktastic one my friend and I will SEE you at "Bridge baby Bridge". :D

hahahah Sammie! Thank you for posting that. I LOVE THAT VIDEO! That thing is hilarious!!! I showed it to Nadia awhile back and we just couldn't stop watching it and laughing our asses off. What a little smart ass!!!! And the part that really does it for me is when the ever so kick ass DAVE A is smokin and goes to put it out and Stoney just starts laughing so hard he has to turn away!! :D:D:D That is one of the cutest/funniest moments ever right there!

Alright since we're talking about vids I must post this. First of all HOLY FUCK FUCK SHIT TREEEEEMOR CHRIST IS FINALLY BACK!!#!@#@#$ AHHHHH!!! TREMOR! TREMOR!!!!! *pulls self together* Wowwow! But ok,LOOK AT STONE!!! LOOK! He's just as insanely excited about this comeback as we are! Hoooooly shit STONEY! :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDnUjW5out8
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
    I haven't been on here for days, been lurking here and there, but rarely posted. Just been working a whole lot and relaxing. :)

OMG!! I SO have to see that Tremor Christ video!! I can't believe it made a come back! AHHH!! :eek:

I must say, Stone DEFINITELY ROCKS my PLAID SOCKS OFF!! :D I can't wait for Bridge School to happen once again, and I hope to see you Ponies out there too. I think I am going to wear my Stoney's Pony shirt on night 1, since my counterpart, Lydia, is not going to be at night 2:( aka as my 26th b-day. But it is ALL good though! :)

HAPPY B-DAY Happenstance!! wohohoo! How cool that you are also a libra! YEA!! Hope to see you at Bridge School in a few weeks!

and lgt, THANK u for sharing that story w/us about Stone. I swear, this guy LOVES the attention and loves to give love back to his Ponies all around the world :D
    ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~
    ~*STONEY PONY all the WAY!*~
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    "For the world, not for the war"-Neil Finn
  • VEDHEAD27 wrote:
    Alright since we're talking about vids I must post this. First of all HOLY FUCK FUCK SHIT TREEEEEMOR CHRIST IS FINALLY BACK!!#!@#@#$ AHHHHH!!! TREMOR! TREMOR!!!!! *pulls self together* Wowwow! But ok,LOOK AT STONE!!! LOOK! He's just as insanely excited about this comeback as we are! Hoooooly shit STONEY! :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDnUjW5out8

OMG! That was so awesome! Stoney rockin to the Tremor Christ comeback! Freakin amazing!! :D
  • Awesome vid, guys! Keep the Stoney love going. :)
    "Longitudes, latitudes, it's so absurd
    I just need someone to be there for
    I just want someone to be there for
    Someone to be there for me"
    --

"Well, you say it’s bad luck
    To have fallen for me
    Well what can I do to make it good for you
    I’ll call you beautiful if I call at all"
  • oooey my turn for a Stone Love Bump :)

Thanks for the birthday wishes... that's so nice!
    I got two PJ bootleg DVDs (homemade-looking) and my Gorge 06 bootlegs (finally!!).

Cool PJ story Laura!! You definitely have enough good karma points to catch the elusive Stone pick next time... I hear they're hard to get :eek:

And look forward to seeing some Ponies doing the Bridge... it's gonna be great!!
    - Thanks *Happenstance* for the good vibes! :) One day, heh! :D

- *SammieBlack*, I will be there in spirit too in Australia! ;)

Suffering from live shows withdrawl symptoms already!! :D

- * Meddledeal*, thanks! :)

It's a pleasure sharing the Stoney love with all of you!!!

I knew you'd understand my enthusiasm! :D

- *Lydia* you're very welcome! :)

Stone and Ed are my favourites! Originally, it was just Ed; then, when I looked at the notes for the songs I loved the most I noticed the name Stone, so I started to dig deeper, as it were! :)

This thread is a great source of info - loving the videos! *Thanks all for sharing!* :)

(I've been trying, whenever I get a chance, to catch up from the start, but it takes too long, so I have been going backwards. Off to more browsing! :))

Laura

PS Loved the mariachi video, btw! :)
  • I love this thread. :D
    "Longitudes, latitudes, it's so absurd
    I just need someone to be there for
    I just want someone to be there for
    Someone to be there for me"
    --

"Well, you say it’s bad luck
    To have fallen for me
    Well what can I do to make it good for you
    I’ll call you beautiful if I call at all"
  • VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    Me too! Me too! :D
    lgt wrote:
    Stone and Ed are my favourites! Originally, it was just Ed; then, when I looked at the notes for the songs I loved the most I noticed the name Stone, so I started to dig deeper, as it were!
    HA! Yes! Story of my life right there. :D;) I remember it slappin me in the face. It hit hard! It's still hittin! haha. Lookin over all my fav songs a wave crashing like a fist to my jaw! Then I started thinking more and more why in the living HELL does this man not get more praise!?!? :eek: Ah and so started my life's mission.:p Here we are. It just keeps growing and growing too. It's always diggin deeper and the wave is punching the fuck outta people more and more each passing second. :D

You're awesome Laura! I'm so glad that you've gotten in touch with your Stoney lovin roots! hehe...off to browsing?? Gonna do some Stoney studies? How cute. :p

It's already been said but it can't be said enough>>ALL HAIL THE DREAM TEAM! What...a....pair!
    http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a17/LadyPJ27/PJ/EdStoneWAYTOOCUTE.jpg
    :o
    *has love buzz*

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • Awww, that picture is so sweet!*sigh*:D
  • LOVE that pic...my two favourite boys in the whole world

(of course excluding Hubby and Dad!!!!)

So much love and admiration flowing through me right now - all you guys in this thread ROCK.....it's the STONEY BOND THAT UNITES......

aka SVT........ "I'll be there for you baby" I just love it when he says that !!! **melts every time!!**

Anyway a Friday LOVE bump for Stone and all of us bitches !!!!!

Bows down and thanks the musical God !!!! (that was deep wasn't it?)

:) Hugs & Kisses xxxooo

2006 Tour
    10/11 Brisbane
    13/11 Melbourne
    14/11 Melbourne
    16/11 Melbourne
    19/11 Newcastle
    25/11 Perth

• IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    Hey, Lyd... I could NOT help but have to post here on something I saw and giggled 'cause he reminded me of somebody...

I have been watching closely with the deaf protest going on at Gallaudet about the president (it's run like the Bush Admin ;)) and there has been a lot of activities, esp with ASLblogs.

Well, I found this one ASL blog... and this student made me think of what Stone would have looked like if he knew sign language - I could not believe how this student even dressed and "talked" like him - businesswise. ;) Like Stone talking about environment and bootlegs... :D

I know you don't know ASL, but does he not look like young Stone? :D;)

http://www.signcasts.com/?q=node/16

I watched that at least five times so far... just to imagine Stone knowing sign language. lol.

Ok, stop laughing at me! :p

EDIT: There's a video of that same student being attacked by the deputies of university, along with other students during the lockdown of a building. He was telling everyone "not to fight" but him and other students were pushed and some were maced. :mad:
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • grace6697grace6697 Posts: 1,191
    i just found this and it totally scared me:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=strDURacTUs

discuss. :)
    take your money and your drugs.
    VEDHEAD27 wrote:
    Me too! Me too! :D

HA! Yes! Story of my life right there. :D;) I remember it slappin me in the face. It hit hard! It's still hittin! haha. Lookin over all my fav songs a wave crashing like a fist to my jaw! Then I started thinking more and more why in the living HELL does this man not get more praise!?!? :eek: Ah and so started my life's mission.:p Here we are. It just keeps growing and growing too. It's always diggin deeper and the wave is punching the fuck outta people more and more each passing second. :D

You're awesome Laura! I'm so glad that you've gotten in touch with your Stoney lovin roots! hehe...off to browsing?? Gonna do some Stoney studies? How cute. :p

It's already been said but it can't be said enough>>ALL HAIL THE DREAM TEAM! What...a....pair!
    http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a17/LadyPJ27/PJ/EdStoneWAYTOOCUTE.jpg
    :o
    *has love buzz*

HAHAHA!!! uhm yeah, caught red-handed! ;)

Love the picture! :D
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bN4Fkmryaas
    Another bad MTV interview...at the end of the clip Steve Isaacs(what a tool) talks to Stone about the Jeremy video. "What does grunge mean to you?" I love Stone's expression! Another gem from Lowlight03

Yeah, IamMine, I think we've found another Stone clone. There are a lot of lookalikes out there, but the real one is the cutest.

VEDHEAD27, awesome pic, you can feel the love emanating between them!
    "This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence" - The Young Ones
  • IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743

Yeah, IamMine, I think we've found another Stone clone. There are a lot of lookalikes out there, but the real one is the cutest.

Of course! No one could be CUTER than Stone himself! :)

I even found a Eddie clone who was signing "angry" out there... lol I couldnt help but laughing that I found TWO signing people in THE SAME DAY - and it was by ACCIDENT, too! LOL

But again, no one is CUTER than Eddie himself. ;)

The REAL ones are always BETTER and the BEST!
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • Sunday Love Bump!
  • I love this one from Benaroya, Stoney's like - OOPS! Soo so good!:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUnLSFxKs5Q
  • yahamitayahamita Posts: 1,514
    Just wanted to pop my head in and see what is going on. I've been out of town traveling for several weeks, and haven't had the opportunity to get in here....
    I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me...GUARANTEED!

Hail Hail HIPPIEMOM

Wishlist Foundation-
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    info@wishlistfoundation.org
  • he is alovely fellow after looking at all those stone pictures in that other thread
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows