Frank Sinatra
    Otis Redding
    Ben Harper
    Sabastian Bach

IMO

I was just reminded of MIKE PATTON!!
  • Options
    swede wrote:
    also did i see james labrie from dream theater on ur list? cause that guy can sing - he can do so many of the voices on ur list and he has his own style...

just an interesting exclusion in my view

but nehow - ur list, its subjective no matter how much u dont think ur list is

Labrie, from a skill level, isn't that good at all. Of course ANY list is subjective in ways, you're never going to get a perfect list. If you base your list off certain things (like I did), then it easily takes away a lot of the subjectivity (is that a word? lol) of it. The criteria like I have can be judged objectivly...such as range...Eddie Vedder obviously doesn't have as much range as Cornell. Do you see what i'm getting at?
  • Options
    JamnPearl wrote:
    Labrie, from a skill level, isn't that good at all. Of course ANY list is subjective in ways, you're never going to get a perfect list. If you base your list off certain things (like I did), then it easily takes away a lot fo the subjectivity of it. The criteria like I have can be judged objectivly...such as range...Eddie Vedder obviously doesn't have as much range as Cornell. Do you see what i'm getting at?

These threads inevitably turn into a list of everyone's favorite singers, whether they actually have good voices or not...
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • Options
    1.Mike Patton
    2.Chris Cornell
    3.Maynard James Keenan
    4.Mikael Akerfeldt
    5.Freddie Mercury
    6.Jeff Buckley
    7.Mike Lanegan
    8.Phil Anselmo
    9.Layne Staley
    10.Chris Robinson (underrated!!)
  • Options
    1hope sandoval
    chris robinson
    2 andrew wood
    3 shawn smith
    leigh nash
    4 the jayhawks
    5 robert plant
    6 layne staley
    7 chris cornell
    8 ed vedder
    9 cat power
    10 avril lavigne
    seth

this list changes by the minute
    thanks to everyone who can read what i write without having to say something mean
  • Options
    These threads inevitably turn into a list of everyone's favorite singers, whether they actually have good voices or not...

I know that....
  • Options
    lovin kind wrote:
    10 avril lavigne

erm...just out of curiosity..are you serious about this one? I highly respect others opinions..just a little curious about this one...
    "Everyone wants to be the sun that lights up your life, but I'd rather be your moon so I can shine on you during your darkest hour when your sun's not around."
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 13
    oh crap, how could i forget..George Harrison > *
  • Options
    Caleb Followill (Kings of Leon) should be somewhere in there!
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour:Member #9-+--+
  • Options
    JamnPearl wrote:
    Eddie Vedder obviously doesn't have as much range as Cornell.

Is it that obvious!
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour:Member #9-+--+
  • Options
    swedeswede Posts: 558
    JamnPearl wrote:
    Labrie, from a skill level, isn't that good at all. Of course ANY list is subjective in ways, you're never going to get a perfect list. If you base your list off certain things (like I did), then it easily takes away a lot of the subjectivity (is that a word? lol) of it. The criteria like I have can be judged objectivly...such as range...Eddie Vedder obviously doesn't have as much range as Cornell. Do you see what i'm getting at?

i do know where ur getting at, but what ur getting at i think is just ridiculous, cause u dont enjoy listening to someone if they are say in ur terms "better" and what music is for - is for the enjoyment of the listener, the feelings of the writer and performer etc.

to me someone singing with emotion would be more than someone who is holding down a high note for 50 seconds

so then - to me - the person who isnt holding those notes is not as good as the other singer

do u get where im getting at? and btw - we are talking rock, but then really, why have a so called rock singer if what u want is the best?
  • Options
    Layne Staley
    Eddie Veder
    Chris Cornell
    Mark Lanegan
    Jim Morrison
    Sabastian Bach
    Scott Weiland
    Joey Ramone
    Billy Corgan
    Kurt Cobain
  • Options
    mookmook Posts: 78
    Ed the Ved
    Chris Cornell
    Ben Harper
    Layne Stayley
    Kurt Cobain
    James Hetfield
    Caleb Followill
    Jack Johnson
    Andrew Wood
    Anthony Kiedis
  • Options
    Plant
    Vedder
    Staley
    Maynard
    Cornell
    Waters
    Chris Robinson
  • Options
    swede wrote:
    i do know where ur getting at, but what ur getting at i think is just ridiculous, cause u dont enjoy listening to someone if they are say in ur terms "better" and what music is for - is for the enjoyment of the listener, the feelings of the writer and performer etc.

to me someone singing with emotion would be more than someone who is holding down a high note for 50 seconds

so then - to me - the person who isnt holding those notes is not as good as the other singer

do u get where im getting at? and btw - we are talking rock, but then really, why have a so called rock singer if what u want is the best?

I know what you are getting at, and i'm not saying I only listen to the most skilled singers just because they have so much skill. My problem is, making a thread like this, that says, "10 greatest/best vocalists of all time", when it should be named 10 favorite singers. That's just me though, i'm not saying everyone should listen to me...i'm just giving my opinion :D

And swede, i'm talking about within rock...obviously opera singers are the best. I'm not saying everyone on this thread is wrong, if that is what you are thinking. Well...they would be wrong if they thought Vedder had more range than Cornell! ;)
  • Options
    babzbabz Posts: 18
    10. Gene (kiss)
    9. Jimi (hendrix)
    8. James (metallica)
    7. Sting (sting)
    6. Chad (nickelback)
    5. Ozzy (black Sabbath)
    4. Anthony (red Hot C Ps)
    3. Bruce (iron Madien)
    2. Chris (audioslave Etc.)
    1. Edddddddddddie (pearl Jam)
    IF YOU CAN KEEP COOL AROUND HERE.... AMONG THE CONFUSION.......YOU REALLY DON'T UNDERSTAND THE SITUATION!!!
  • Options
    JamnPearl wrote:
    I know what you are getting at, and i'm not saying I only listen to the most skilled singers just because they have so much skill. My problem is, making a thread like this, that says, "10 greatest/best vocalists of all time", when it should be named 10 favorite singers. That's just me though, i'm not saying everyone should listen to me...i'm just giving my opinion :D

And swede, i'm talking about within rock...obviously opera singers are the best. I'm not saying everyone on this thread is wrong, if that is what you are thinking. Well...they would be wrong if they thought Vedder had more range than Cornell! ;)

ill admit that cornell has more range than vedder - but i still think vedder is the better singer... u see what i mean?

to me, in rock music, even what is "the best" is subjective.

hey thats my view, i do know what u mean btw
  • Options
    JamnPearl wrote:

labrie from a skill level is very good. he can pull off metal ( ie: endless sacrifice from TOT) to u2 style stuff from the last album to prog. the guy can really sing and is one of the best singers out there if you ask me. he gets plenty of kudos but i don't think maynard james keenan can get enough credit. i still say from a technical viewpoint kennedy is the best around at the moment. he doesn't have a great technical voice but i like liam gallagher's voice.
    The wind is blowing cold
    Have we lost our way tonight?
    Have we lost our hope to sorrow?

Feels like were all alone
    Running further from what’s right
    And there are no more heroes to follow

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?
  • Options
    I love the fact that whenever someone makes a thread like this people inevitable post a bunch of people that in the grand scheme of rock music really don't matter at all and won't be remembered for shit, past like, I don't know, next week?

Or people post singers who, while successful in the careers, quite honestly have god awful voices.

I will leave it to you guys to figure out exactly what "vocalists" i am talking about.

its not that i dont agree w/you, its just that you put david bowie (basically the worst artist ever) on your list. yes, jeff buckley would probably make my list, even though i like his vocals more than his actual music. sorry dr, you set yourself up for it by making yourself sound like a snob...
    i pledge no allegiance
  • Options
    phut wrote:
    oh crap, how could i forget..George Harrison > *
    hey now GEORGE wrote some GREAT songs.................
    LUKIN
  • Options
    its not that i dont agree w/you, its just that you put david bowie (basically the worst artist ever) on your list. yes, jeff buckley would probably make my list, even though i like his vocals more than his actual music. sorry dr, you set yourself up for it by making yourself sound like a snob...
    you dont sound snobbish,BITCH............
    LUKIN
  • Options
    swede wrote:
    ill admit that cornell has more range than vedder - but i still think vedder is the better singer... u see what i mean?

to me, in rock music, even what is "the best" is subjective.

hey thats my view, i do know what u mean btw
    FUNNY HOW CORNELL EVEN SOUNDED LIKE VEDDER,AFTER TEMPLE.....for a album or so..
    EDDIE'S THE SHIT...........
    LUKIN
  • Options

hahahahaha

well hunger strike is a PERFECT example where u can hear ed shittin all over cornell's vocals!

oh how i love ed :)
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,765
    I don't have time to read the whole thread, but any list that doesn't include Cornell and Plant in the top 5 is pure malarkey...
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    Ed Vedder
    Robert Plant
    Maynard James Keenan
    Chris Cornell
    Geoff Tate
    Jim Morrisson
    John Lennon
    Geddy Lee (in all seriousness)
    Rivers Cuomo
    Dave Grohl

no malarky here, know1 :)
  • Options
    know1 wrote:
    I don't have time to read the whole thread, but any list that doesn't include Cornell and Plant in the top 5 is pure malarkey...

cornell probably wouldnt make my top 20
  • Options
    swede wrote:
    cornell probably wouldnt make my top 20

you would have vedder in your top 5 though wouldn't you??

cornell = top 10 quality
  • Options
    Jellyrolls wrote:
    you would have vedder in your top 5 though wouldn't you??

cornell = top 10 quality

ed is my number 1

cornell - well... i dunno, some times his voice gets to me, and thats when i guess he is "showing off his range" hence me nothing thinking that range makes u the best in these cases
  • Options
    swede wrote:
    hahahahaha

well hunger strike is a PERFECT example where u can hear ed shittin all over cornell's vocals!

oh how i love ed :)

Well of course I disagree there....Cornell IMO is the one who shines on that song. He comes from out of nowhere with incredible power...and completely stealing the show from Vedder.

You've got to be kidding me.
  • Options

David Bowie has an amazing voice, even to this day... and he didn't always make shitty records. Nearly everything pre-1977 is great, and the last two albums were fantastic. And he is easily one of the most influential artists ever If you want to get into a discussion of artistry, which is a whole different thing.

Set myself up for what exactly? a shoddy attempt at criticsim?

Furthermore I didn't intend the whole 3 people i mentioned to be some kind of a definitive list, I was trying to mention names that no one had mentioned yet. Thats why I said: "Just few i thought I would throw out... "
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.