Jason Isbell - Sirens of the Ditch

Comments

• soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    I received a free copy of this CD about a month ago and I have to say it's quite good. Just happens I'm listening to it right now.

Anyway, I wanted to post to let people know there's an audience-shot DVD available at http://www.thetradersden.org right now. I'm obviously just a casual fan but I went ahead and downloaded it anyway. Looks like it should be pretty good.
  • About an hour left until Jason hits the stage. Webcast looks pretty good thus far.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Jason on Now!

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

• I knew there was a reason I took 1/2 day off today ...... aint never gonna change! I really don`t like the horn section though
  • I knew there was a reason I took 1/2 day off today ...... aint never gonna change! I really don`t like the horn section though

It's not too bad...gives the songs a different feel.

Good quality...and I'm watching on company time.

PBM

• I just won tickets to his Chicago show next month. Yay! I'm excited to see him again.
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
  • I just won tickets to his Chicago show next month. Yay! I'm excited to see him again.

Congrats!

When did you find out and how did you find out?

I was hoping for those St. Louis tickets. :(

PBM

• merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Some new Isbell tour dates up on Pollstar that aren't on his website yet (the 2008 dates). One of which is a San Diego show! It's been a year since DBT (or Jason) hit the town.

Tue 11/20/07 Aspen, CO Belly Up Aspen
    Fri 11/23/07 Thomaston, GA Q's Sports Bar & Grill
    Sat 11/24/07 Tybee Island, GA Cafe Loco
    Sun 11/25/07 Jacksonville Beach, FL Mojo's Kitchen
    Thu 12/27/07 Huntsville, AL Crossroads
    Sat 12/29/07 Chattanooga, TN Rhythm & Brews
    Sun 12/30/07 Raleigh, NC Lincoln Theatre
    Mon 12/31/07 Charleston, SC Music Farm
    Wed 01/16/08 Memphis, TN Hi-Tone
    Thu 01/17/08 Little Rock, AR Sticky Fingerz Chicken Shack
    Fri 01/18/08 Dallas, TX Granada Theater
    Sat 01/19/08 Austin, TX Antone's
    Wed 01/23/08 San Diego, CA The Casbah
    Sat 01/26/08 San Francisco, CA Slim's
    Wed 01/30/08 Portland, OR Mission Theater
    Thu 01/31/08 Seattle, WA Tractor Tavern
    Sat 02/02/08 Park City, UT Suede
    Mon 02/04/08 Boulder, CO Fox Theatre
    Wed 02/06/08 Minneapolis, MN Varsity Theatre
    Thu 02/07/08 Madison, WI High Noon Saloon
    Fri 02/08/08 Chicago, IL Double Door
    Sat 02/09/08 Indianapolis, IN The Music Mill
    Wed 02/20/08 Boston, MA Paradise Rock Club
    Fri 02/22/08 Washington, DC 9:30 Club
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Whenever Jason or DBT come close to me they play on a damn Wednesday night.

I may sit this round out and wait to see what kind of dates that DBT unveil soon.

PBM

Whenever Jason or DBT come close to me they play on a damn Wednesday night.

I may sit this round out and wait to see what kind of dates that DBT unveil soon.

PBM

It's a wed. for me too. I've gotten to the point where I end up going by myself and leaving Mrs. Merkinball at home with the little merkinballs.

It just sucks when the headliner doesn't go on till 11. Too quote Danny Glover, I'm getting too old for this shit.

Looks like there is three bands the night that Isbell plays out here, so I'm sure it'll be a late night, and a tough morning.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

• Plus, it sucks for me because I'd have to drive 3 hours to Memphis. If nothing else, living in a bigger town is nice because you don't have to travel that far for shows.

Living in rural areas makes it hard to see good shows without some travel.

PBM

• tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Maybe two chances for us......Huntsville and Chattanooga.....1 1/2 hour drive on a Thursday night or a two hour drive on a Saturday night.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • tybird wrote:
    Maybe two chances for us......Huntsville and Chattanooga.....1 1/2 hour drive on a Thursday night or a two hour drive on a Saturday night.

Go to The Nooga...if for nothing else, Lookout Mountain. ;)

PBM

• Congrats!

When did you find out and how did you find out?

I was hoping for those St. Louis tickets. :(

PBM

Hey PBM - sorry, didn't see your question till today. I got an email from New West saying I'd won.

I took a PJ friend to the show, and she was converted! She's been playing the cd nonstop.

Jason's touring with Will Hoge in the spring - I saw him over the summer and he was quite good too. Definitely worth checking out - should be a nice double bill.
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
    Go to The Nooga...if for nothing else, Lookout Mountain. ;)

PBM
    :D:D:p

Good point!
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,113
    tybird wrote:

I'll be in Huntsville!! Crossroads is a REALLY small venue. It's like a bar.
    bobasfeet wrote:
    I'll be in Huntsville!! Crossroads is a REALLY small venue. It's like a bar.
    Interesting.....can't say that I have ever been there.
    tybird wrote:
    Interesting.....can't say that I have ever been there.

DBT played there a couple years back around this same time of year.
  • Been tinkering with my guitar lately.

I've been starting out with Rockin' In The Free World...doing the verse, then switching up to Never Gonna Change for the chorus.

On a side note, I remember hearing a Mash-Up of Never Gonna Change & Ice Ice Baby a couple of years ago. Oddly enough, it was quite entertaining.

PBM

It appears that a Birmingham date has been added for 12/28......my lovely wife presented me with tickets last night for the show....an early Christmas gift. :D
    Had my first taste of Jason and the 400 Unit live last night....damn good show. Everything that we saw advertised them as the headliner, but they were actually the opener for Will Hoge. They played for about an hour and 10 minutes. "Brand New Kind of Actress" was the show opener..scorching version. Other high points included "Try", "Chicago Promenade", "Grown", "Hurricanes and Hand Grenades." The version of "Dress Blues" was a little slower than the album version, but still well done. For his fans from the DBT days, Jason broke out "Goddamn Lonely Love," "Never Gonna Change," and "Danko/Manuel." There were two songs with which I was not familiar, but they sounded great. The band was smokin'.
  • I can`t believe he is opening for Will Hoge ....... that really blows. What time did Jason and the Unit take the stage? I`m going to see them in Raliegh tomorrow night. I was planning on a 10ish arrival but if he is the middle band that`s going to be late. Any thoughts on Hoge?
  • yeah im going to the show on new years eve in charleston. this will be my sixth time seeing jason and as big of a DBT fan I am, i think he is better live. his band is amazing. To those that have never seen Will Hoge before, he is incredible. one of the best.
    I can`t believe he is opening for Will Hoge ....... that really blows. What time did Jason and the Unit take the stage? I`m going to see them in Raliegh tomorrow night. I was planning on a 10ish arrival but if he is the middle band that`s going to be late. Any thoughts on Hoge?
    Jason came on stage a little bit after nine last night...the scheduled start.

Hoge, I had never heard. My wife really liked him...his band is also very talented. It took awhile for him to grow on me....I don't hear real well, so the unfamiliarity with his music made it hard for me to pick up on his words. Both acts put on blistering sets.
    I can`t believe he is opening for Will Hoge ....... that really blows. What time did Jason and the Unit take the stage? I`m going to see them in Raliegh tomorrow night. I was planning on a 10ish arrival but if he is the middle band that`s going to be late. Any thoughts on Hoge?

Looks like they are switching it up. Will was the opening act in Huntsville, AL.
    2 great bands together.
  • tybird wrote:
    For his fans from the DBT days, Jason broke out "Goddamn Lonely Love," "Never Gonna Change," and "Danko/Manuel."

It seems like those are the only DBT songs he has been consistently playing live lately.

PBM

Been tinkering with my guitar lately.

I've been starting out with Rockin' In The Free World...doing the verse, then switching up to Never Gonna Change for the chorus.
    PBM

Danko/Manuel is an easy one to play. I can't play guitar very well, but once I found the tab for it, it was really easy to figure out.

It seems like those are the only DBT songs he has been consistently playing live lately.

PBM
    It was the first time that I had seen Danko live...so, it was a treat. :D

Interesting that him and Will are switching spots each night...the crowd was bigger for the opener last night.
  • merkinball wrote:
    Danko/Manuel is an easy one to play. I can't play guitar very well, but once I found the tab for it, it was really easy to figure out.

You're in luck then...those three songs are pretty easy.

Check on the tabs for Goddamn Lonely Love and Never Gonna Change...there are a few changes here and there but, for the most part, they're easy to play too.

PBM

• http://www.jasonisbell.com/tour.html

EUROPE 2008
    28/03/2008: Dolans, Limerick (Ireland)

29/03/2008: Cyprus Avenue, Cork (Ireland)

30/03/2008: Roisin Dubh, Galway (Ireland)

01/04/2008: Whelans, Dublin (Ireland)

03/04/2008: King Tuts, Glasgow (Scotland)

04/04/2008: The Cluny, Newcastle (England)

05/04/2008: Rescue Rooms, Nottingham (England)

06/04/2008: The Shed, Bedford (England)

07/04/2008: The Borderline, London (England)

08/04/2008: St Bonaventure, Bristol (England)

17/04/2008: W2, Den Bosch (Netherlands)

18/04/2008: Trix, Antwerp (Belgium)

19/04/2008: Blue Highway Festival, Utrecht (Netherlands)

20/04/2008: Lantaarn, Hellendoorn (Netherlands)
    For Those About To Rock !

Art changes people. People change the world.