Jason Isbell - Sirens of the Ditch

Comments

• AvocadoLadyAvocadoLady Posts: 680
    was anyone able to find this in any store or just online? i can't seem to find it here. not that ordering albums online is too much of a hassle, i just like to go to the store to buy them.

I wasn't able to find it at my local indie store - they usually have all the new releases I'm looking for, but they didn't even have it listed in the computer. Grrr, I really wanted it, too.
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    This doesn't sound like a promising start for young Jason.

I hope he's able to get the disc in stores.

If nothing else, go to iTunes.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    This doesn't sound like a promising start for young Jason.

I hope he's able to get the disc in stores.

If nothing else, go to iTunes.

PBM

"A promising start", huh? I found the cd quite easily...even though 2 independent stores were already sold out of the copies that they brought in....anyways I ended up going to a big chain store(against my wishes) and got a copy the day it was released(yesterday) for $15(which I also wasn't happy about)...they also had 5 extra copies that I saw...

The tune TRY is currently blowing my mind wide open :)
    augustwest wrote:
    "A promising start", huh? I found the cd quite easily...even though 2 independent stores were already sold out of the copies that they brought in....anyways I ended up going to a big chain store(against my wishes) and got a copy the day it was released(yesterday) for $15(which I also wasn't happy about)...they also had 5 extra copies that I saw...

Just wondering...where are you located, august?

*edited to add* Seems like New West had some distribution issues yesterday, I guess it wasn't showing up on iTunes? Wonder if that affected the physical distribution as well. Hm. I'll try to find it again tonight.
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
    augustwest wrote:

Hey...as long as it's out there...I'm happy.

Hurricanes and Hand Grenades is a favorite.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

quote]

I live in a city of over 500,000 people...maybe that's why I didn't have any troubles! lol
    augustwest wrote:

I live in a city of over 500,000 people...maybe that's why I didn't have any troubles! lol

Heh, I live in Chicago...I don't know what our problem is!
  • My current favorites are: Chicago Promenade and The Magician.
    I share a cigarette with negativity.
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    My local shop was sold out today, but they said they did have some in yesterday. Had them order a copy for me. Holding off on listening to it till I get the cd, but I"m looking forward to it.

Picked up the new Wilco instead, so things worked out ok...
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
    Heh, I live in Chicago...I don't know what our problem is!

Wow that's shocking for a city the size of Chicago!
    augustwest wrote:
    Wow that's shocking for a city the size of Chicago!

Especially considering he played here twice in the past month... :P
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    One of the Best Buys here in Birmingham, Alabama did not seem to have a copy on the shelves last night. I might check one of the Indie stores on Friday.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    tybird wrote:
    One of the Best Buys here in Birmingham, Alabama did not seem to have a copy on the shelves last night. I might check one of the Indie stores on Friday.

You'd think out of all the states, Alabama would have copies on hand.

:rolleyes:

PBM

You'd think out of all the states, Alabama would have copies on hand.

:rolleyes:

PBM
    I suspect the purchasing department is wherever the corporate headquarters are.....probably can't/won't make any connection. This will give the Indie stores a chance.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • merkinball wrote:
    My local shop was sold out today, but they said they did have some in yesterday. Had them order a copy for me. Holding off on listening to it till I get the cd, but I"m looking forward to it.

Picked up the new Wilco instead, so things worked out ok...

Or so you think; that's not a good trade off.
  • So how is the new album as whole. It's cool that he's doing his solo thing as I already know he is a hell of a songwriter but man it was so perfect with him in DBT. So perfect. Anyway he's gone to newer things. He is playing here in Richmond tomorrow for a free acoustic Plan 9 set which I think I will check out and then he and his band play later at a local club. What do you all think of the album as a whole?
  • I agree. With DBT there was contrast to the songs that just made them stick-out and become amazing gems in the middle of an album or something. After a couple listens, none of the songs really strike me as strong as his songs on any of the DBT albums (but apparently he wrote the songs while he was still with the band, so maybe they used his strongest ones?), but I think with more listens the album will get better and better. Chicago Promenade is wonderful. The entire album is great, not really a weak track in the bunch.
  • This thing is so perfect.

More the Muscle Shoals soul sound than anything, but there's some rockers and some bluegrassy type stuff on here too.

It covers everything thematically. I just love the title. All the songs are about the things that can suck us in and what we have to do to fight back, to keep out of the ditch. Together it has a great musical and thematic flow.

Lots of commentary on Iraq and Katrina, but it's buried a little and thoughtfully done. Shonna's backing vox on a couple tracks are great.
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • Jason's getting some small publicity. In the most recent Entertainment Weekly, Sirens of the Ditch was one of their music picks. Good for him.
  • bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,113
    Just met him..super nice. Can't wait for the show tonight.
  • Posted my review here: http://besoundmusic.blogspot.com/

Let me know what y'all think.
    Thanks.
    Finally picked it up today at a local independent store......the guy told me that they were on their fourth shipment of the suckers, so it's selling quite nicely here in Birmingham.
  • tybird wrote:
    Finally picked it up today at a local independent store......the guy told me that they were on their fourth shipment of the suckers, so it's selling quite nicely here in Birmingham.
    Sweet, we luckily had one copy in the Borders in Albany, NY so I grabbed it. Even DBT is hard to come by up this way.

A great record, really digging the Magician so far.
    Sweet, we luckily had one copy in the Borders in Albany, NY so I grabbed it. Even DBT is hard to come by up this way.

A great record, really digging the Magician so far.
    Dress Blues, Chicago Promenade, Grown and Shotgun Wedding got my attention on my first listen.

Like Merkinball, I ended up with more than I planned on my visit to the record store. My wife wanted a copy of John P. Strohm's (formerly of the Lemonheads) new cd....she went to law school with him, and they work in the same law firm...and I espied the re-mastered version of Andy Summers/Robert Fripp's album, "I Advance Masked." Could not pass it up.
  • Posted my review here: http://besoundmusic.blogspot.com/

Let me know what y'all think.
    Thanks.

Really good review. I completely agree with the statement that it "does and doesn't sound like DBT." Not a knock on your specific review, but I've never been a fan of the song-by-song review format; all your points are spot-on for me though as far the actual songs and album goes.

For me, its really hard to truly compare Isbell's DBT compositions with his songs on his solo album (even though the album itself was written while he was in the band). I would rather not take his songs out or away from the DBT albums they are on, but as of right now I think DBT chose his best songs to include on the track-listings. Maybe its the contrast with Mike and Patterson's vocals on the DBT albums that make Isbell's songs stick out and be more noticeable. Sirens is a great album, but none of the songs have struck me like Danko/Manuel, Outfit, Daylight, or any songs he played with DBT - at least not yet. There are some contenders though, so I suppose I should give it more time before I say none of the songs will be included in my "Isbell favorite" playlist.
  • Really good review. I completely agree with the statement that it "does and doesn't sound like DBT." Not a knock on your specific review, but I've never been a fan of the song-by-song review format; all your points are spot-on for me though as far the actual songs and album goes.

Thanks.
    Me neither on the format, I just was thinking about the Siren concept and how each song was a different Siren song....
  • YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    My copy came in Thursday's mail and I've been loving it. My favorites so far include Dress Blues, Hurricanes and Hand Grenades, and Try.
    A friend and I saw Jason & the 400 Unit in Philly and New London this weekend. The Philly show was a strong mix of SotD songs, DBT songs, and covers. The crowd at North Star was enthusiastic throughout. The show went a bit late due to 2 opening acts and then a quick turnaround for a 2 pm outdoor festival set today. Everyone but me was sitting off to the side at the start of the set in New London but then some folks joined me near the stage after a little while. It was another enjoyable set but abbreviated at just under an hour. We're planning to see Jason in NYC this Thursday.
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    Anyone know how long his show has been lately?
  • Thanks guys for the feedback. I checked him out on friday where he did a free solo acoustic show at plan 9. Looks like somebody else from this board was there too. Man the songs are awesome, I really dig it. He did "When the Well Runs Dry" as well which is not on the new album. Super nice guy. I was planning on seeing him at the canal club later that night but things came up so I missed him with his full band. A lot of people at the record store had his album in hand and tons were buying it, so it looks like he's getting some recognition.
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Thanks guys for the feedback. I checked him out on friday where he did a free solo acoustic show at plan 9. Looks like somebody else from this board was there too. Man the songs are awesome, I really dig it. He did "When the Well Runs Dry" as well which is not on the new album. Super nice guy. I was planning on seeing him at the canal club later that night but things came up so I missed him with his full band. A lot of people at the record store had his album in hand and tons were buying it, so it looks like he's getting some recognition.

When the Well Runs Dry was on the bonus disc that came with the DBT's Blessing and a Curse when you bought it at an indie shop.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball