Jason Isbell - Sirens of the Ditch

Comments

• tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Red Lukin wrote:
    Anyone else going tonight? I'm heading out soon. I'll give a review tomorrow (maybe)!
    Thanks.........looking forward to it since I will miss him when he visits Birmingham in August......but DBT is coming through in October!!!!!!
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • deadmosquitodeadmosquito Posts: 729
    my copy of the record just came in today from amazon... listening now. definitely different than i expected i think. like what i've heard so far :)
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    Wow, great show! Much better and longer than I expected (1:45-1:50 I believe). I heard they may only play for an hour, and when they opened for Son Volt I think they played 30-45 min. The other guitarist (not sure of his name) was very good too.

I do feel bad for the band though - I can't believe I only paid $8 for the show. Jason said for anyone willing to stick around he'd sing some things, but I gotta work tomorrow (and well not really a groupie) so I left. Seems like a really nice guy. Jason cracked quite a few smiles too - seemed like he was having fun (some girl in the front kept trying to touch him - it was more funny than anything).

Someone (either a friend of the band or bartender) brought over 5 shots of whisky for the band. So Jason takes his during a song. Then some random girl pushes up front, picks up the tray to try and hand it to the guys. No one from the band is looking (bc they're too busy rocking out). Then she drops them. What an idiot. Jason turns around minutes later and his face is like "where the hell's the JD?" Good thing the bar replaced them.

There's so much passion coming from Jason's lungs, and his guitar speaks it as well. Some great jams too!

I don't wanna over hype it, because it's not like seeing PJ of a Floyd show, but hey get liquored up and check these guys out if you can. So much fun!
    Red Lukin wrote:
    Wow, great show! Much better and longer than I expected (1:45-1:50 I believe). I heard they may only play for an hour, and when they opened for Son Volt I think they played 30-45 min. The other guitarist (not sure of his name) was very good too.

I do feel bad for the band though - I can't believe I only paid $8 for the show. Jason said for anyone willing to stick around he'd sing some things, but I gotta work tomorrow (and well not really a groupie) so I left. Seems like a really nice guy. Jason cracked quite a few smiles too - seemed like he was having fun (some girl in the front kept trying to touch him - it was more funny than anything).

Someone (either a friend of the band or bartender) brought over 5 shots of whisky for the band. So Jason takes his during a song. Then some random girl pushes up front, picks up the tray to try and hand it to the guys. No one from the band is looking (bc they're too busy rocking out). Then she drops them. What an idiot. Jason turns around minutes later and his face is like "where the hell's the JD?" Good thing the bar replaced them.

There's so much passion coming from Jason's lungs, and his guitar speaks it as well. Some great jams too!

I don't wanna over hype it, because it's not like seeing PJ of a Floyd show, but hey get liquored up and check these guys out if you can. So much fun!
    The whiskey was also a staple back in his DBT days too. Great to hear that he puts on an excellent show. :D
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Finally picked this album up yesterday, and it's excellent!
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    Ripped from the Ninebullets message brd

See Jason's new website! http://www.jasonisbell.com

Hear Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit in a full band performance on NPR's World Café On Wednesday, August 15 between 2PM and 4PM ET. To find your local station go to: http://worldcafe.org
    To listen on the web go to:
    http://xpn.org/listen_live/listen.php

Jason Isbell eCard:
    http://ecards.newwestrecords.com/jasonisbell/JasonIsbell_eCard_Amazon_Launch.html

To stay in touch with Jason: Sign up for my email list
    http://www.newwestrecords.com/lists/?p=subscribe&id=7

Join Jason's Myspace.com - http://www.myspace.com/Jasonisbellmusic
  • AvocadoLadyAvocadoLady Posts: 680
    He'll also be doing an in-studio on KEXP at noon PDT on August 1st. You can listen online at kexp.org if you're not in the Seattle area. DBT's got a recent in-studio archived on the KEXP site, too.
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
  • DBT's got a recent in-studio archived on the KEXP site, too.

Cooley just slays on this.
    :D
    Patterson can barely finish, he's laughing so hard.
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • Did anybody else get the DBT e-mail today? Look for a new album early next year.
    I share a cigarette with negativity.
    Did anybody else get the DBT e-mail today? Look for a new album early next year.
    Got it........the way it reads....looks like the B'ham show is a "Dirt Underneath" show!!!!

They also hype the Jason release.
  • He'll also be doing an in-studio on KEXP at noon PDT on August 1st. You can listen online at kexp.org if you're not in the Seattle area. DBT's got a recent in-studio archived on the KEXP site, too.

Bump to quote myself :D The in-studio is today!
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    I'm trying to talk myself into going to Nashville next Friday to see Isbell. It's just $10...what a flippin' deal.

It's going to cost me more in gas to travel to see the show than the show itself.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
    I'm trying to talk myself into going to Nashville next Friday to see Isbell. It's just $10...what a flippin' deal.

It's going to cost me more in gas to travel to see the show than the show itself.

PBM

How far of a drive is it?
    Red Lukin wrote:
    How far of a drive is it?

It's a two hour drive from here...which isn't bad...I can take off from work, get there by 7:30 and still have time to kill before show time. He's also doing an "in-store" for free earlier in the day.

Money is tight around the house, but I hate to miss Isbell being that close.

I'll confer with my buddies over the weekend (*cough* and the wife) and make an educated decision.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

It's a two hour drive from here...which isn't bad...I can take off from work, get there by 7:30 and still have time to kill before show time. He's also doing an "in-store" for free earlier in the day.

Money is tight around the house, but I hate to miss Isbell being that close.

I'll confer with my buddies over the weekend (*cough* and the wife) and make an educated decision.

PBM

Actually I was gonna say if it's 2 hours or less go for it. Hope you make it. He seemed to be having a lot of fun at his shows.

The Toronto show was great!
  • sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,034
    I'm going to the Tampa show this weekend, should be pretty great. He came through here a few months ago and it was really good. But now that the record is out, it should be a lot more enjoyable.

Anyone going, make sure to catch the band that is touring with him, Centro-matic, they are a great band. They have been opening for and playing with DBT for years.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • Can't wait to see him here in Nashville on the 24th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Meg: Everybody! Guess what I am?
    Stewie: Hm, the end result of a drunken back-seat grope-fest and a broken prophylactic?
    volman0118 wrote:
    Can't wait to see him here in Nashville on the 24th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you think it will be a big crowd? Just wondering if I should buy my tickets in advance...that is...if I end up going.

PBM

• Do you think it will be a big crowd? Just wondering if I should buy my tickets in advance...that is...if I end up going.

PBM

No idea PBM last time the Truckers came through (again ON 9-27 I think)
    the crowd was ok but actually less than i thought
    Meg: Everybody! Guess what I am?
    Stewie: Hm, the end result of a drunken back-seat grope-fest and a broken prophylactic?
  • spnoonespnoone Posts: 628
    jason's in buffalo 10/17. giving me 2 months to make a fan of potential designated drivers.
    spnoone wrote:
    jason's in buffalo 10/17. giving me 2 months to make a fan of potential designated drivers.
    Good luck with that.....:D

Too bad I don't live in Buffalo or even close......I'm also happy to designate drive.
    Saw the show in Tampa last night, really quite good and a hell of a turnout compared to the show I saw in Orlando earlier in the year. I suppose having Centro-matic on the bill helped, since they usually pull in a few hundred by themselves whenever they come through Tampa. Jason has been sitting in with Centro-matic during their set, which makes an already great set even better. And Jason's band is getting really tight, they are clearly having a blast playing together. The bass player had on a PJ shirt... the blue ape/man shirt from the first leg of the Binaural tour.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
    The bass player had on a PJ shirt... the blue ape/man shirt from the first leg of the Binaural tour.

Cool, I had no clue they were PJ fans.
  • augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    Red Lukin wrote:
    Cool, I had no clue they were PJ fans.

Aren't most people, who like GOOD RnR, PJ fans ;)
  • Saw the show in Tampa last night, really quite good and a hell of a turnout compared to the show I saw in Orlando earlier in the year. I suppose having Centro-matic on the bill helped, since they usually pull in a few hundred by themselves whenever they come through Tampa. Jason has been sitting in with Centro-matic during their set, which makes an already great set even better. And Jason's band is getting really tight, they are clearly having a blast playing together. The bass player had on a PJ shirt... the blue ape/man shirt from the first leg of the Binaural tour.

Yeah, I was at this show too. It was really, really good. Drove 4 hours from Fort Lauderdale, and it was well worth it. During a quiet moment I shouted (dork that I am) at the bassplayer (whose name is Jimbo): "Jimbo! Nice Shirt!" He smiled, and afterwards we talked about PJ for a bit. He is a HUGE Ament fan, as one would expect.

Got to have a few drinks after the show with Jason Isbell too. He's a super nice guy.

P.S. Sadprofessor (REM fan, I assume... love them too), there is a torrent of the show here: http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=509031
  • Jason has been sitting in with Centro-matic during their set, which makes an already great set even better.

Hey sad - do you remember which songs he played with Centro-matic?
  • ledhed43ledhed43 Posts: 114
    Got to have a few drinks after the show with Jason Isbell too. He's a super nice guy.

He is one of the easiest artists to approach. Seems like he hangs around the bar after most of his shows. I think it's amazing in this age of egos and assholes to find a guy willing to mingle with the fans. If you get a chance to see him on this tour definately take advantage. Nothing beats good music in an intimate setting. And I doubt he is touring bars and clubs much longer. When I talked to him he was eager to record an album with the 400 Unit, and this was before Sirens was out. He is willing to work, talented and knows how to treat his fans. The sky is the limit for him and I hope he takes full advantage.
    Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best.

~Frank Zappa
    Hey sad - do you remember which songs he played with Centro-matic?

All of them. Although he honestly looked kind of board. Although it almost seemed like he was following the other guitar player for the chord changes and thats why he wasn't very animated during their set.
    Here's an interview of Jason that was in last friday's Birmingham News...we were out of town over the weekend, so we missed the show:

http://www.al.com/entertainment/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/entertainment/1187944171138310.xml&coll=2

If you ask, Jason Isbell will answer.

Why on earth did the Sheffield singer-songwriter decide to leave the Drive-By Truckers?

It's the first thing fans want to know, but the last question he faces during a 30-minute interview. Isbell, 28, will perform at Sloss Furnaces on Saturday with his backing band, the 400 Unit, as part of the Stokin' the Fire BBQ Festival.

For the past six years, however, he was a valued member of the Truckers, contributing several original tunes to its cowpunk-meets-Southern-rock catalog. In concert, Isbell typically performed as one of three frontmen, swapping lead vocals and guitar solos with the band's founders, Patterson Hood and Mike Cooley.

So was there bad blood? Creative differences? Disagreements about the concert schedule?

"It's a personal thing, to tell you the truth," Isbell says. "It's like living in an apartment with several roommates. Sometimes you stay, and sometimes you want to move out. Maybe you'll see those people again, and maybe you'll go out and drink whisky with them again. I can understand why people are curious, but they forget that it's actually my life I'm dealing with. Traveling around with your best friends is hard enough as it is."

Isbell hasn't abandoned the road; he's simply switched his focus and touring companions. A trio of musicians from the Shoals - bassist Jimbo Hart, drummer Ryan Tillery and guitarist Browan Lollar - will join him on stage Saturday for a 7 p.m. show.

Their set list will rely on tracks from his solo debut, "Sirens of the Ditch," released in July by New West Records. Reviewers have commented on Isbell's Gothic eloquence, his dark sensibility and his lyrical penchant for the particular.

During a recent phone conversation, Isbell also displayed a dry sense of humor.

Q. The 400 Unit is an unusual name for a band. How did you come up with it?

A. There's a rehab facility in Northern Alabama and the mental ward is called the 400 Unit. Pretty much what they do is bring them to downtown Florence at lunchtime, and they wander around, talking to people and trying to get a sandwich. That's as close to what we do as anything else.

Q. Since we're talking about titles, why did you choose to call your CD "Sirens of the Ditch"?

A. For some reason, I'm a frog person. I have a bunch of figurines and toy frogs that I've collected over the years. The sound they make, for me, is like sirens in the ditch. Of course, there's also that whole idea of temptation.

Q. How is this music different from what you did with the Drive-By Truckers?

A. I don't know if that's necessarily a question for me. I feel that other people are better equipped to make those comparisons. There are more hooks and less of a linear, obvious storytelling structure. It's not any less Southern. It might be a little more produced. A lot of these songs are built around the piano, and there aren't as many screaming, squalling guitar solos. It's just a whole bunch of songs I've been working on for a long time.

Q. What made you choose Fame Studios for the recording sessions?

A. There's just good people there, and they treat me well. I wanted the sound to be warm, and Fame has a lot of tape and a lot of tubes. We recorded on analog gear, and have gotten the razor blade out on some occasions.

Q. One song that's received a lot of attention is "Dress Blues," about a soldier from your hometown who died in Iraq. Why do you think it's been singled out?

A. Well, that's definitely a hot topic right now. When a songwriter writes something about the war, it's going to get noticed. It's a difficult thing to take a stance on in a musical, lyrical way. I decided to let the song tell a story about someone I knew, instead of making a political statement. It broke me down emotionally to write it. Anytime I make myself cry - if I feel that strongly about something - I figure it's going to translate pretty well.

Q. Birmingham makes an appearance in the song "Hurricanes and Hand Grenades." You make it sound like a destination, somewhere you long to be. Is there a story behind that?

A. I've always thought Birmingham was an underrated city. It's got a lot of good people, and a lot of stuff to do. I've thought of moving to Birmingham, and I still might. Now that my friend Topper Price is gone, we could use 10 or 12 of us to replace him. He was eloquent, well spoken and witty, and one of the best musicians I ever saw.
  • Jason Isbell live webcast of his set at the Voodoo Fest Show.

Friday, October 26, 2007
    4:55pm Eastern
    http://www.iclips.net
    FREE!

If I plan my day out accordingly, I can get enough work done this morning to slack off and watch this today.

PBM