Options

Queens of the Stone Age

Comments

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,876
    nicknyr15 said:
    Lucky bastards the last two shows got regular John to open. Songs for the dead noticeably absent for a few consecutive shows. 
    That's odd... & the last couple of sets have only been 16 song sets. 

I wonder what that's all about. 
    I haven’t followed their sets before this tour but has songs for the dead ever taken a hiatus or was it generally a song that was played every night? 
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,008
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Lucky bastards the last two shows got regular John to open. Songs for the dead noticeably absent for a few consecutive shows. 

I haven’t followed their sets before this tour but has songs for the dead ever taken a hiatus or was it generally a song that was played every night? 
    they were playing it last every night....my guess is they quit due to the moshing
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,549
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

I just couple checked setlist.fm... I've seen them 8 times since '07, and they've closed with it at all but one show. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,894
    I've seen them 5. only show I didn't get it was my first in 2005. closed with it 3 out of the other four, second to last on the 5th (Regular John closed that show)
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,344
    Hey question for anyone who has seen them on this tour and also saw PJ this last mini tour, who did you like better? 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Hey question for anyone who has seen them on this tour and also saw PJ this last mini tour, who did you like better? 
    QOTSA, hand down & for a combination of reasons… a much more exciting catalog of music, higher energy on stage. PJ in St Paul was great, but Queens in August was on a whole other level & legit left me in awe. Eddie’s an awesome front man, but Josh was like a Pied Piper this summer talking to the crowd. He was saying all the right things, the dude knows how to work an audience. 
  • Options
    QOTSA, hand down & for a combination of reasons… a much more exciting catalog of music, higher energy on stage. PJ in St Paul was great, but Queens in August was on a whole other level & legit left me in awe. Eddie’s an awesome front man, but Josh was like a Pied Piper this summer talking to the crowd. He was saying all the right things, the dude knows how to work an audience. 
    Thanks I kind of figured that to be the case! After seeing QOTSA for the 1st time this past summer walking out I said to myself the same thing! 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

It was back in the set last night in Seattle. 
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,572
    I would see QOTSA before another PJ show, but no way Josh has better interaction than Vedder.  Vedder is about as good at it gets for interaction with the crowd.

If going to one show I give a slight edge to Queens, but if going to three in a row it is an easy choice for Pj.
  • Options
    I would see QOTSA before another PJ show, but no way Josh has better interaction than Vedder.  Vedder is about as good at it gets for interaction with the crowd.

If going to one show I give a slight edge to Queens, but if going to three in a row it is an easy choice for Pj.
    They're both great... I think Eddie's more inclined to go off on tangents, whereas Josh doesn't beat around the bush too much... gets to the point and moves on to the next song. 

There have been times in the past where I haven't loved Josh's on stage demeanor, but this year he really seemed to be saying all the right things, whereas Ed in so many cases seems to struggle to find the right words (adding to the down time between songs) - this isn't a knock on him, he's trying hard to say the right thing which I appreciate, and I'm inclined to think he is much more self conscious about how his words are taken / interpreted than JH.

Both are great front men, but in 2023, these were things that stood out to me about each of the performances. 
  • Options
    wow. I had to think about that. If I had the choice on the same night, QOTSA or PJ. I actually don't know at this point. Queens is such a high bar performance and catalogue wise, that would be a very tough decision to make. 10 years ago it would have been PJ hands down. No thought. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

It was back in the set last night in Seattle. 
    Yup along with Headache getting it’s your debut. Love that they’re opening with regular John 
  • Options
    wow. I had to think about that. If I had the choice on the same night, QOTSA or PJ. I actually don't know at this point. Queens is such a high bar performance and catalogue wise, that would be a very tough decision to make. 10 years ago it would have been PJ hands down. No thought. 
    Nail on the head... if this was 2013 I would have said PJ too, but 3 out of the 4 shows I've seen QOTSA play since 2017 have only raised the bar for what I expect out of them live, where as all 4 PJ shows I've seen since then, while absolutely great shows, weren't at the level where they were 10 years ago, which is probably the crux of this... Eddie is 58, & JA & MC are 60... Josh is 50, John Theodore 49, & Mikey Shoes is 37... TVL & DF are both 53, but the point stands, QOTSA is a younger band & like Charles Barkley said, Father Time is undefeated.  
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,953
    Been outrunning FT since I been born. Quite a scare when I slow down and look in that mirror...That's MEeeeeEee?
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Hard to answer because I think they are so different.

I'll go to both as much as I can although QOTSA plays almost the same setlist each night. They seem to alternate a few songs night to night.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    PJ is like family and feeling all around wonderful and I love that there is no issue to go to several shows in a row. QOTSA is sexy champagne, losing my mind and dancing my ass off. I know more lyrics with PJ and the sets are not alternating enough with QOTSA. I feel lucky to have seen 26 PJ shows that had the awesome 3 hour+ sets. I will always try to go to see either of them when they tour, and I am happy to see Josh in such a good place right now.

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    I've seen QOTSA 8 times, with the 9th coming in December. I've seen PJ a lot more, but they are totally different experiences. I will say that the QOTSA/Royal Blood show in KC (2017) was hands down one of the best damn shows I've ever seen. There are some PJ shows that are up there for me as well, but the energy of both bands that night floored me.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,684
    I like the losing my mind and dancing my ass off on sexy champagne part.  If seeing them makes that happen, bravo!

Been playing Rated R almost daily, lately.  So very fine.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    I guess since I’ve just started to really listen to QOTSA and after seeing them this past summer I’m hooked and I’m looking forward to the next time I get a chance to see them more than PJ! 
  • Options
    I like the losing my mind and dancing my ass off on sexy champagne part.  If seeing them makes that happen, bravo!

I can't remember the last time I moved & danced like I did at QOTSA in Portland. (probably the last time I saw QOTSA if I'm being honest) 
  • Options
    I guess since I’ve just started to really listen to QOTSA and after seeing them this past summer I’m hooked and I’m looking forward to the next time I get a chance to see them more than PJ! 
    I’m literally in the same exact boat as you 
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    edited October 2023

They have always come across very sexy to me. The way Josh is dancing, the sound of his voice, some of the lyrics... And not just him, they all have a certain horny swagger that is very enjoyable for women too. And songs like Skin on Skin... Can you imagine PJ doing that? Both are great and my favorites but both for totally different reasons.

Post edited by Leezestarr313 on
  • Options
    josh definitely gets away with his sexual lyrics and swagger. not a lot of that in alternative rock. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,103
    nicknyr15 said:
    I’m literally in the same exact boat as you 
    Same thing here. A friend told me about the show because I didn't know about it and then couldn't make it. I started going through their catalog and really liked it and bought a solo ticket and it was one of the most fun concert experiences I had besides the various Pearl Jam shows.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,194
    Brad's posters from the Seattle and Vancouver shows are up here. Reliably awesome work...

https://bradklausen.myshopify.com/
  • Options
    I’m really hoping for more shows soon! 
  • Options
    Same ! Have you went through their entire catalogue ? Curious which albums are your favorite/ least favorite. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    Same ! Have you went through their entire catalogue ? Curious which albums are your favorite/ least favorite. 
    I haven’t listened to all the albums yet instead I’ve been listening to songs folks here talk about tonight I’m planning on listening to the 1st album and work my way up! 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    I haven’t listened to all the albums yet instead I’ve been listening to songs folks here talk about tonight I’m planning on listening to the 1st album and work my way up! 
    I’d love to hear your thoughts as you work your way through them!
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    That first album kicks ass. They got my attention with their second album so I didn't really discover the first until much later.