Springsteen - Seeger Sessions

Comments

• Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    http://www.livedaily.com/reviews/Live_Review_Bruce_Springsteen_in_Concord_CA-10202.html?t=97

Live Review: Bruce Springsteen in Concord, CA

June 07, 2006 11:40 AM
    by Jim Harrington
    LiveDaily Contributor
    What do you call a Bruce Springsteen (tickets | music) show where The Boss ignores "Born to Run," "Thunder Road" and most of his other hits in favor of many nearly forgotten folk tunes? Try "excellent."
    Despite only dipping a toe into his vast ocean of fan favorites, notably for "Johnny 99" and "Atlantic City," Springsteen once again proved that he's one of the greatest entertainers in the biz during his folk-oriented show Tuesday (6/6) at the Sleep Train Pavilion (formerly the Chronicle Pavilion) in Concord, CA.

If fans missed hearing the familiar tunes, they sure hid their disappointment well. They embraced the material from Springsteen's recent ode to traditional folk music, "We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions," with the same exuberance that they would a straight run through the greatest hits.

Credit that, in large part, to Springsteen's enthusiasm for this music. He came across like he was having the time of his life as he delved into this batch of material, all of which is closely associated with folk legend Pete Seeger. And the fun he was having was as contagious as a cold in nursery school.

That's not, however, to downplay the importance of Springsteen's newly built Seeger Sessions Band. The 17-piece group, complete with a high-flying, four-piece horn section, was phenomenally good in concert, and helped turn the vast majority of the traditional folk pieces into raucous celebrations.

The group kicked off its two-and-a-half hour show with a scalding-hot version of "John Henry," the traditional railroad tune that is the new album's first single. Springsteen's voice sounded more powerful than it has in ages.

The band definitely looked the part for this romp through old-timey tunes. Everybody was dressed in vintage gear, looking like they had just stepped out of an old black-and-white film from the early 20th century. The bandleader was dressed in a striking black suit, which could have been worn by a groom during the Great Depression. The simple, yet elegant stage design--consisting of long red curtains framing the stage and a few ballroom-style chandeliers--really added to the picture.

The group followed "John Henry" with an uproarious rendition of the old spiritual "O Mary Don't You Weep" that nearly brought the house down. The band then sputtered a bit on "Johnny 99," which didn't really work in its new old-timey arrangement, but quickly regrouped for terrific turns through "Old Dan Tucker" and "Eyes on the Prize."

Following a solid spin through the Western-tinged "Jesse James," a tune that would have worked both at a Texas hoedown and in an Irish pub, Springsteen and crew did a great job translating the fan favorite "Atlantic City" to the old-timey music realm. It took a minute to recognize the song in its new form--a giddy toe-tapper completely devoid of its original menace and darkness. This revised "Atlantic City" was one of many happy surprises to be found in this concert. You probably wouldn't have believed someone if he had said, prior to the show, that this dark number would work in such an upbeat arrangement.

Springsteen then continued to play musical tour guide, moving on to great renditions of "Erie Canal" and "My Oklahoma Home." He also touched upon last year's excellent "Devils and Dust," performing that disc's title track, before returning to the past for versions of "Mrs. McGrath," "How Can a Poor Man Stand Such Times and Live?" and "Jacob's Ladder."

The evening's most touching moment came when The Boss overtly honored the man who inspired this whole nostalgic trip with a tender version of "We Shall Overcome." Pete Seeger, it's easy to guess, would have been proud.

Setlist:

John Henry
    O Mary Don't You Weep
    Johnny 99
    Old Dan Tucker
    Eyes on the Prize
    Jesse James
    Atlantic City
    Erie Canal
    My Oklahoma Home
    Devils & Dust
    Mrs. McGrath
    How Can a Poor Man Stand Such Times and Live?
    Jacob's Ladder
    We Shall Overcome
    Open All Night
    Pay Me My Money Down (w/ Joan Baez)

Encore:

Bring Them Home (If You Love Your Uncle Sam)
    Ramrod/Rag Mama Rag
    You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch)
    Froggie Went A Courtin'
    When the Saints Go Marching In

cant wait 1 1/2 weeks !
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
    platessmall.jpg
  • leopattieleopattie Posts: 22
    Wow, still smiling two days after the show. Except for the anti-dancing nazis (they seem to be encroaching on more and more shows) it was an amazing, fun-filled hoootenanny!!! Springsteen seems to be having the time of his life, there are 17 members of his "band" onstage, it was a riot. And I'm usually a spoiled GA/Pit person and was up in sec 201 this time, it still totally rocked the place... just don't expect an E-Street Band show you'll have a great time. Too damn bad there are no more West Coast shows, I'd be there if I could...
    7/92 Lollapalooza
    10/94 Bridge School
    6/95 SF
    11/95 San Jose
    10/96 Bridge School
    11/97 Oakland
    10/00 SF
    6/03 SF
    6/03 Vegas
    10/03 Bridge School
    10/04 Bridge School
    9/05 Vancouver
    7/15/06 SF
    7/22/06 Gorge
    It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive - Springsteen
    leopattie wrote:
    Wow, still smiling two days after the show. Except for the anti-dancing nazis (they seem to be encroaching on more and more shows) it was an amazing, fun-filled hoootenanny!!! Springsteen seems to be having the time of his life, there are 17 members of his "band" onstage, it was a riot. And I'm usually a spoiled GA/Pit person and was up in sec 201 this time, it still totally rocked the place... just don't expect an E-Street Band show you'll have a great time. Too damn bad there are no more West Coast shows, I'd be there if I could...

were you at the show Joan Baez came onstage ?

Bruce is the man !
    2 weeks from tonight is my next show @ MSG !

im psyched !
    platessmall.jpg
    still have extra tickets for upcoming shows in the Tri State area shows:
    of course, ALL FACE VALUE + TM $ :

MSG NYC
    Thur 6-22-06
    sec 231
    row C

* Tour Finale
    PNC Holmdel NJ
    Sun 6-25-06
    sec 401
    row M

shoot me a PM
    platessmall.jpg
  • chipboychipboy Posts: 137
    I'm taking my 5 year old to his first concert this Sunday in St Paul. I haven't decided if I want to get there early to try to get close to the stage or just show up late and sit in whatever empty seats are open. I don't expect it to be too crowded but it should be fun.
    chipboy wrote:
    I'm taking my 5 year old to his first concert this Sunday in St Paul. I haven't decided if I want to get there early to try to get close to the stage or just show up late and sit in whatever empty seats are open. I don't expect it to be too crowded but it should be fun.

wow thats awesome !

I sometimes wish i had a son to share this type of thing with.

He will no doubt hold onto that night in his memories for the rest of his life.

nevermind a 5 year old, ( shorter attention spans then us elders )
    but those 17 musicians on stage in front of you all at once- its overwhelming even for us adults. 17 different instruments up there , Springsteen , & not 1 electric guitar. Funny .

I caught the rehearsals in Asbury- its a new thing, but one thing is consistant- it's The Boss , & he's having the time of his life. I give you a few seconds before you are standing and your son is ( probably on top of his chair )

enjoy the show w/ your son .

Come back and let us know how it went .
    platessmall.jpg
    from http://www.backstreets.com/news.html

NEW TOUR SONGS: BRING THEM HOME?
    You know how everybody (well, at least us and a lot of people we hear from) has been saying that Bruce should release songs like "Poor Man" and "Bring Them Home"? A couple bits of interesting news along those lines:
    David Corn, The Nation editor and Springsteen fan, recently posted on his blog, "A reliable source informs me that Springsteen's version of Pete Seeger's antiwar tune 'Bring Them Home' will be released as a track on an expanded version of his recent Seeger Sessions album. And it will be available soon on iTunes."
    And then there's the recent interview Bruce did with the Norwegian newspaper VG, solving the mystery of what he was doing in a recording studio in Oslo: "We discovered this beautiful little studio down by a canal. I had written some new lyrics for 'Bring Them Home (If You Love Your Uncle Sam)' on the way to Oslo, so I recorded some vocals there... Hopefully we'll be able to use it some time or another, maybe on a Seeger Sessions, Volume 2 sometime, who knows? But its certainly the first recording I have done in Oslo!" (Thanks to Lars Flugsrud for the translation.)
    Nothing solid yet, but it's sounding like something is in the works. We'll keep you posted.
    -June 8, 2006
    platessmall.jpg
    platessmall.jpg
  • chipboychipboy Posts: 137
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    wow thats awesome !

I sometimes wish i had a son to share this type of thing with.

He will no doubt hold onto that night in his memories for the rest of his life.

nevermind a 5 year old, ( shorter attention spans then us elders )
    but those 17 musicians on stage in front of you all at once- its overwhelming even for us adults. 17 different instruments up there , Springsteen , & not 1 electric guitar. Funny .

I caught the rehearsals in Asbury- its a new thing, but one thing is consistant- it's The Boss , & he's having the time of his life. I give you a few seconds before you are standing and your son is ( probably on top of his chair )

enjoy the show w/ your son .

Come back and let us know how it went .

My shoulders are a little sore today but all in all we had a great time. We were on the floor right behind the pit at the beginning but we couldn't move around much so we backed up to the middle floor for most of the show. The show was fantastic and we were dancing almost every song. My son went absolutely crazy during Open All Night and Pay Me My Money Down. He was doing the Bruce slide like he has seen on The Rising show DVD during Mary's Place and having a great time. If you get a chance to see this show don't miss it.
    chipboy wrote:
    My shoulders are a little sore today but all in all we had a great time. We were on the floor right behind the pit at the beginning but we couldn't move around much so we backed up to the middle floor for most of the show. The show was fantastic and we were dancing almost every song. My son went absolutely crazy during Open All Night and Pay Me My Money Down. He was doing the Bruce slide like he has seen on The Rising show DVD during Mary's Place and having a great time. If you get a chance to see this show don't miss it.

Awesome !

Ive already sen the 2 rehearsals in Asbury Park - but clearly the band is fine tuned by now and we will get some great shows out here on the East Coast. very much looking forward to them !

glad you and your son enjoyed- not really a shock, tho !

;)
    platessmall.jpg
  • KricketKricket Posts: 707
    chipboy wrote:

Awww...I'm taking our 5 yr old on Sat to Pine Knob (DTE is the name now) but it'll be her first concert too!!!
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    That's the thing you gotta love about the Boss. He can make adults cry with his lyrics, and can make a 5 year old dance to them.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
    i wonder what surprises Bruce has up his sleeve for the tour finale out in Holmdel. ( Big Man joining in on sax , perhaps ? ) ;)

That Holmdel place is pretty cool- the last show I attended was Pearl Jam back in 03 .

Cant wait- 9 more days till MSG & 12 more days till the finale.
    platessmall.jpg
    Hey Kids :

I got 9 outta 10.

try your luck:

1 . What tycoon does Springsteen weave into 'Pay Me My Money Down'?
    Bill Gates
    Donald Trump
    Henry Ford
    Nelson Rockefeller

2 . 'Thunder Road' takes its title from a movie starring what actor?
    Humphrey Bogart
    James Dean
    Robert Mitchum
    Paul Newman

3 . Which Boston rocker joined Bruce onstage during the opening night of the Seeger Sessions tour?
    Joe Perry
    Steven Tyler
    Peter Wolf
    Frank Black

4 . Bruce won his first Grammy for what song?
    'Born to Run'
    'Dancing in the Dark'
    'Streets of Philadelphia'
    'The Rising'

5 . For what band did Springsteen intend to write 'Hungry Heart'?
    The Ramones
    The Beach Boys
    The Asbury Jukes
    The Eagles

6 . What retailer decided not to sell 'Devils & Dust'?
    Wal-Mart
    Best Buy
    Starbucks
    Tower

7 . Which is NOT a former incarnation of the E Street Band?
    Point Blank
    The Bruce Springsteen Band
    Dr. Zoom & the Sonic Boom
    The Castiles

8 . Which of the following artists hasn't recorded a Bruce song?
    The Pointer Sisters
    Frankie Goes to Hollywood
    INXS
    Johnny Cash

9 . What actor got onscreen love-life advice from Bruce?
    Sean Penn
    John Cusack
    Tom Cruise
    Tom Hanks

10 . What is the "old gal" in 'Erie Canal'?
    A boat
    A barmaid
    A mule
    A horse

Gates, Mitchum,Wolf,DITD,Ramones,Starbucks,Point Blank,INXS, Cusack,Mule.
    platessmall.jpg
    6/13, CHICAGO: MY KIND OF SHOW
    A beautiful Chicago night, my first show since DC, and this thing just keeps getting better and better. First of all, you've got Bruce playing so hard he rubs his hand raw -- he had to call for a masking tape wrap after the "John Henry"/"O Mary" openers. And then move on to some knockout songs I hadn't heard yet -- like the complete overhaul of "Atlantic City," which has been a nightly staple since Indy. It starts with banjo and Bruce on some lead acoustic guitar, before Larry Eagle's booming bass drum brings the whole band crashing in with a barrage of sound; by the end, we've got gospel vocals calling out "meet me tonight" over and over, with a "li li li" refrain. As with all of the originals on this tour, it's a completely different take on the song, and a real marvel. "Long Black Veil" was a new one for me as well, a vocal harmony tour de force with the second verse sung by the always-welcome Chocolate Genius. And then there's the one no one had heard before (unless you were lucky enough to catch the extensive work on it at the St. Paul soundcheck). Those magic words "This is a song we haven't quite worked out yet -- let's give it a shot" introduced the tour debut of "Further On (Up the Road)." Again, a total revamp, with a completely different melody. Bruce and the band gave this Rising song an Irish lilt, thanks in great part to Art Baron trading in his tuba for the flute. "Art is king of the highest instrument and the lowest instrument in the band," says Bruce, "He's known as Art Hi-Lo." Spotlight on Cindy Mizell's beautiful vocal to kick it off, and by the end of the song we also got solo vocal turns from CG, Lisa, Curtis, and Frank. "Further On" still needs a little work, as Bruce suggested, but it's a great addition to the set, and further stunning evidence of this band's capacity for reinvention. Along those lines, "Oklahoma Home" continued in the new arrangement Bruce tried out in St. Paul, adding some nice dynamic variation with a sparser, solo beginning before building to that crazy Dixieland horn business. "Erie Canal," the only time I thought previous shows dragged, dropped out tonight -- so at this point I'd be hard pressed to find a low point. Larry's mama, in the crowd tonight, must have been proud.

can't wait- 8 more daysd till MSG !
    platessmall.jpg
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Saratoga for me on Monday!! Can't wait.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    Hey Kids :

I got 9 outta 10.

try your luck:

1 . What tycoon does Springsteen weave into 'Pay Me My Money Down'?
    Bill Gates
    Donald Trump
    Henry Ford
    Nelson Rockefeller

2 . 'Thunder Road' takes its title from a movie starring what actor?
    Humphrey Bogart
    James Dean
    Robert Mitchum
    Paul Newman

3 . Which Boston rocker joined Bruce onstage during the opening night of the Seeger Sessions tour?
    Joe Perry
    Steven Tyler
    Peter Wolf
    Frank Black

4 . Bruce won his first Grammy for what song?
    'Born to Run'
    'Dancing in the Dark'
    'Streets of Philadelphia'
    'The Rising'

5 . For what band did Springsteen intend to write 'Hungry Heart'?
    The Ramones
    The Beach Boys
    The Asbury Jukes
    The Eagles

6 . What retailer decided not to sell 'Devils & Dust'?
    Wal-Mart
    Best Buy
    Starbucks
    Tower

7 . Which is NOT a former incarnation of the E Street Band?
    Point Blank
    The Bruce Springsteen Band
    Dr. Zoom & the Sonic Boom
    The Castiles

8 . Which of the following artists hasn't recorded a Bruce song?
    The Pointer Sisters
    Frankie Goes to Hollywood
    INXS
    Johnny Cash

9 . What actor got onscreen love-life advice from Bruce?
    Sean Penn
    John Cusack
    Tom Cruise
    Tom Hanks

10 . What is the "old gal" in 'Erie Canal'?
    A boat
    A barmaid
    A mule
    A horse

Gates, Mitchum,Wolf,DITD,Ramones,Starbucks,Point Blank,INXS, Cusack,Mule.

9/10.....you NO WAY?!? You're slipping!!! :)
    Kricket wrote:
    9/10.....you NO WAY?!? You're slipping!!! :)

Shhhhh

dont tell anyone :eek:

especially The Men In Black ! ;)
    platessmall.jpg
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    Shhhhh

dont tell anyone :eek:

especially The Men In Black ! ;)

I'll try and keep it on the down low ;)
  • Didn't Bruce play a show recently that only had about 5 grand in attendance? At a non-unionized venue where a corona is 10 dollars............i heard this o nthe radio today.

Maybe if the "champion of the working class" didn't charge 90 dollars a ticket....................
    Didn't Bruce play a show recently that only had about 5 grand in attendance? At a non-unionized venue where a corona is 10 dollars............i heard this o nthe radio today.

Maybe if the "champion of the working class" didn't charge 90 dollars a ticket....................
    $25 for a tix this wkend @ Pine Knob :)
    Didn't Bruce play a show recently that only had about 5 grand in attendance? At a non-unionized venue where a corona is 10 dollars............i heard this o nthe radio today.

i think that was in Indiana. ( not sure )

i'd gladly pay 100 bucks / ticket over and over, as others are doing .
    platessmall.jpg
    check this out from AOL

its awesome

June 14, Milwaukee: Bruce's unique reading of this Civil Rights anthem, featuring a beautiful, smoky vocal from Marc Anthony Thompson, a.k.a. "Chocolate Genius," takes the listener from the cautious, quiet intimacy of one voice to what happens when many voices are raised together: Things bust wide open.

video :
    http://us.video.aol.com/video.index.adp?mode=1&pmmsid=1666843&referer=http%3A//music.aol.com/photo-galleries/18-nights-bruce-springsteen-seeger-tour
    platessmall.jpg
    6/16, CLEVELAND: LOCK UP YER DAUGHTERS!

A nice outdoor venue -- all woody, with a lot of character, unlike Tinley Park's "big black box" -- and a pair of tour debuts in Cleveland. The first, "Long Time Comin'," sounded like they'd been playing it every night (maybe not surprising, considering it got about a dozen run-throughs at soundcheck). Of the Springsteen originals on this tour, this one sounded most like its recorded version -- arrangement-wise, there's no wheel to reinvent, since Bruce had never played it live with a band before. A regular tells us, "One of the best debut performances I've seen. Everything on this tour has its raggedness, but this fell into place very nicely. They all nailed it -- especially at the end, with the fiddles in harmony, an uplifting horn part, and soaring gospel vocals -- just beautiful." Bruce dedicated the song to his son Evan, who was in attendance: "Everyone should guard their daughters!" The other debut was the first solo performance of the tour, Springsteen on 12-string for "Into the Fire," as the band stood behind him on stage. He dedicated the song, honoring a request he received by letter, to Lance Cpl. Edward August Schroeder and the 3rd battalion, 25th Marine Regiment of Brook Park, Ohio, from Linda Herbkersman. That Battalion suffered major casualties last year -- including "Augie" Schroeder, 20 died in Iraq in a matter of days. "You can forget the names, you can forget the faces," Bruce said, "But when it's your son or daughter, you never forget the loss." Before "Bring Them Home," which got another great round of applause, Springsteen gave a plug to the local food bank as usual, adding that a local anti-death penalty group had a table set up as well: "Whatever your beliefs, you should stop and see what they have to say." When someone in the crowd yelled, "Kill the killers!" Bruce shot back, "That kind of stupidity gets us nowhere. You, my friend, should be the first at the table."

wow- Bruce on an acoustic 12 string ! ? ! ? :eek:

cant wait till thursday night at the Garden and then Fri on Conan !
    platessmall.jpg
    Eddies 1988 demo of Bruces " One Step Up "

http://www.longroad.it/download/one%20step%20up.mp3
    platessmall.jpg
    6/17, DETROIT: PICNIC AT PINE KNOB
    A beautiful, warm summer night -- looked pretty hot onstage, actually -- in the far north suburbs of Detroit. And well attended, compared to previous shows -- the pavilion was virtually full, with the biggest lawn crowd so far. "Hello, picnickers!" Bruce hollered. There was no pit tonight, but that didn't seem to have any real effect; the crowd was boisterous enough, and there was no need to call for any Detroit asses to get out of any Detroit seats. A very similar set to Cleveland, dropping "Into the Fire" but adding "Further On (Up the Road)" before "Long Time Comin'." The latter was again dedicated to son Evan, whereabouts unknown at first -- Bruce said he was probably asleep backstage, since them teenagers like to stay up all night -- but he came out after the song to bring his pop a a guitar. Patti remains absent, but when a fan called out for her, Bruce said she'd "be back soon." Speaking of moms, Dave Marsh's mother got a shout-out tonight, with a dedication of "We Shall Overcome." Detroit critic and friend-of-Backstreets Gary Graff has a review of the show and an interview with Charles Giordano.
    platessmall.jpg
    Kricket wrote:
    $25 for a tix this wkend @ Pine Knob :)

well, are you gonna review for us ? :confused:

OK

Heres the vbideo of " Pay Me My Money Down " from Pine Knob .

http://us.video.aol.com/video.index.adp?mode=1&pmmsid=1668146&referer=http%3A//music.aol.com/photo-galleries/18-nights-bruce-springsteen-seeger-tour

June 17, Detroit: This nightly set-closer isn't the first sea chantey to rock a crowd; as Bruce notes, 'Louie Louie' was a classic example of the form. But 'Pay Me My Money Down,' an old Georgia Sea Islands song with a mighty infectious chorus, keeps the crowd shouting along from start to finish -- and often beyond.
    platessmall.jpg
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Nice show last night at Saratoga! Its amazing to see Bruce with so many musicians on so many different instruments, and it sounded so good! Mostly Seeger Sessions songs, as well as a very re-written Adam Raised a Cain (Darkness...), and You can Look but You Better Not Touch (The River) (to the point of being almost unrecognizable if you don't know the words really well). Bruce had part of his right hand bandaged, but it didn't seem to detract from his playing. Ended with When the Saints go Marching In.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • JaneNY wrote:
    Nice show last night at Saratoga! Its amazing to see Bruce with so many musicians on so many different instruments, and it sounded so good! Mostly Seeger Sessions songs, as well as a very re-written Adam Raised a Cain (Darkness...), and You can Look but You Better Not Touch (The River) (to the point of being almost unrecognizable if you don't know the words really well). Bruce had part of his right hand bandaged, but it didn't seem to detract from his playing. Ended with When the Saints go Marching In.

Was it rainning last night? I was debating to go last night but the weather scared me off since I would have bought lawn tickets.