Springsteen - Seeger Sessions

Comments

• Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    CRITICS RAVE ABOUT SPRINGSTEEN'S NEW RECORD -

Fans and critics alike are raving about Bruce Springsteen's triumphant new record We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions, out in stores TODAY. The press has nothing but sheer admiration for Springsteen's tribute to Folk-music legend Pete Seeger. Just read some of the acclamations reviewers have been saying about one of the most original albums to come out in years:

• Jonathan Ringen of Rolling Stone gives the album FOUR STARS and says the new record "is his most jubilant disc since Born in the U.S.A." and further goes on to rave that "Among the pleasures of this album is rediscovering childhood staples like 'Erie Canal' or 'John Henry' via Springsteen's craggy, familiar voice -- which is as mighty and powerful as the steel-driving man himself."

•Entertainment Weekly's David Browne gives the album an "A-" and calls the new record "Liberating...The album taps back into what Springsteen does best: making music that's as grand and mythopoetic as the country itself."

•A "joyous jamboree" - says Chuck Arnold of People

• Ryan Lenz of the Associated Press says "If the measure of an artist is an ability to take something old and make it new, Springsteen's sound from his Seeger sessions is immeasurable."

Recorded at Springsteen's New Jersey home with an incredibly talented ensemble of musicians to back him up, We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions is simply put ones of the most enjoyable records you'll ever hear! Plus if that's not all, the DVD side of the DualDisc edition of the album includes extensive behind-the-scenes footage of the recording of the album plus two bonus tracks! You can get your copy in stores today or you can order it online or download it through any of the following retailers:

•SonyMusicStore.com: (SPECIAL OFFER: Get a collectable Springsteen poster plus a digital download of the track "Pay Me My Money Down" as FREE GIFTS with your order (limit one per order, while supplies last). Plus for only a few more days, get an additional 10% off the album when you use the coupon code "SEEGER" at checkout! Click here to order.)*

•Amazon.com
    •iTunes: get the performance piece video for "O Mary Don't You Weep" and a Digital Booklet (album-only download)
    •Napster
    •Rhapsody
    •Real
    •Walmart
    •Connect

================
    DON'T MISS BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN ON TOUR

Finally don't forget to check out Bruce Springsteen on tour, performing songs off his new album with The Seeger Sessions Band. The tour kicks off April 30th at the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival, and thunders on all the way up to the PNC Amphitheatre in New Jersey. Don't miss out on your chance to experience an incredible evening of gospel, folk, and blues that also has fans and critics cheering for more. For a full list of tour dates, check out the tour section of http://www.brucespringsteen.net
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • KricketKricket Posts: 707
    Hey...thanks for the reviews, but the pick went to your girlfriend? hmmm...I woulda kept it ;) Tix for Detroit go onsale this wkend and I hope I can get a pair, I've only seen him once live, on his solo tour and wow! This is a great chance to catch him in a different light.

I missed the GMA show so if you see a link for it let me know...thanks:)
    http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=1887925

o' mary dont you weep video

you see me on the rail in my yield hat
    platessmall.jpg
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    WOW !

For anyone who has the chance to see Bruce on this Seeger Sessions Band Tour- I'd recomend you RUN- do not walk- to go see thiese shows !Do not go if you are expecting to hear Born To Run and Rosalita- this is a new invention of the Man - and he never ceases to amaze !

For the morning segment & Good Morning America we arrived around 5 am, stopped for coffee, and made our way to meet some friends that work for GMA ( cameramen ) . They got us VIP credentials and we were allowed into the Convention Hall before the rest of the people who held free tickets that were given out last week thru Ticketbastard. We madeour way into the desginated VIP area and were situated right on the railing in stagefront, just a tiny bit to the left of center( Bruce ) .
    The stage setup was just magnificent ! Mic Stands and instruments everywhere ! The fans were then let in, and they filled the venue asthetically for television purposes . Small segments were left empty, and others were cosmetically filled . " Seat Fillers " is what the people actually were- wheather thery realized it or not was another question- it was all about the television production .
    Bruce arrived around 7:00 am, made a very brief appearance out on stage. He was in a great mood, making all kinds of jokes the entire time . He joked about him not being a morning person and that he admired all the hardcore fans that were before him . He looked literally like he stumbled out of bed, unkept, and he made no excuses about it . He said he had his pajamas under his jeans and that later, he'd go home and get right back into bed . His voice was scratchy and he was dragging . Clearly, he wasnt into it , but oh to sell records .
    Around 7:45 am the full band came out, one by one, and they just kept coming ! Bruce was the last one out , and clearly he had some coffee and his guitar was strapped around his neck .
    They then ran thru 3 songs, that they woulde play for the live broadcast- all off the new album . 1) Old Dan Tucker, 2 ) O' Mary Dont You Weep, and 3 ) Jacobs Ladder .Based on those titles, if you'd think " hillbilly " music, or redneck music- you wouldnt be far off, but its not like that in person .It is a spectacle, and something everyone should witness if given the opportunity .The sound is so powerful, your eyes are going everywhere all over the stage- not wanting to miss a thing, and so much to see at once . Once the live telecast began, it was clearly all coordinated and choreographed . The production manager was all over the place with the headset in her ears, constantly keeping abreast of time and counting down. She would continually tell Bruce 5-4-3-2-1,.. and so on,...afterall- it was a live broadcast.
    Bruce was in a great mood , cracking all kinds of jokes the entire time thru . He was even giving that production lady a hardtime, making all kinds of jokes . Bruces voice was giving him problems, he was gargling onstage with Listerine and was taking coughdrops in between, and then spitting them out once they went live . He even treated us to an improvised " whisteling " song ( sounded like a cowboy theme from old cowboy movies ) and also gave us an extra song " When The Saints Go Marching In " - that were not broadcast on the television show .It was all over and out by 9:05 am .
    It was awesome!!! I was even lucky enough to get one of Bruces' guitar picks--- of course which instantly went to my Girlfriend.

The evening show notes from http://www.Backstreets.com : http://www.backstreets.com/news.html
    4/25, REHEARSAL 3: A 20/20 SHOW
    20 songs, 20 musicians... and mighty sharp
    "Welcome to the evening show! Oh my god were we up early this morning... it was terrible. Everybody's all bright-eyed... I hate that." But any lack of sleep took no toll on the show, which continues to tighten up -- as Bruce said tonight of these rehearsals, thanking the Asbury crowd, "You have honed us into a well-oiled, swingin' machine." Damn skippy. He tinkered with set a bit, opening with a spotlight on Greg Liszt and his banjo for "Jesse James," and switched the order of a few other songs, too. And in the encore, "Turn! Turn! Turn!," sent out to Pete Seeger, took the place of "My City of Ruins." Its first public performance here included a beautiful vocal turn by Mark "Chocolate Genius" Thompson. (Thompson also adds stand-out vox to "Eyes on the Prize" and "When the Saints Go Marching In," which closed the show again tonight.) As for originals, Bruce kept "You Can Look" in its bring-the-house down penultimate slot, and "Mystery Cadillac" and "If I Should Fall Behind" stayed in the set from last night as well. Before the "Fall Behind" waltz, he got a big laugh: "A lot of people tell me they've used this as their wedding song. I'd like to think of it as an emergency preventive divorce song." The band was breaking in its full European horn line-up tonight, and when, mid-set, LaBamba and Mark Pender joined back in as well, we were looking at a six-man horn section and, lordy, 20 people on stage. Thankfully, Bruce's traffic control remains up to the task, for one big, glorious noise. Look out, New Orleans -- just one more rehearsal show to go between them and you. You're gonna like it.

I recomend you all go check out these shows . It is overwhelming- and you are sure to enjoy this show- even if you are not or have not been a huge fan of Bruce- this may just change your mind . It is in the styling of New Orleans Jazz/ Zydecho, & oldtime spirituals and has Jazzy, Blues influence .

Enjoy the Shows !
    from one bruuuuuce to another thanks for the review of the show today. i will for sure go see him on this tour just like i ahve the past 2 tours. hes in another league when performs some of the best concerts i have gone to in my life where his concerts
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

May 27 TD Bank North Garden Boston, MA
    May 28 Nissan Pavilion Washington, DC
    May 30 Germain Amphitheatre Columbus, OH 5/5,
    10 a.m.
    May 31 Verizon Amphitheatre Indianapolis, IN 4/28,
    10 a.m.
    June 3 Glendale Arena Phoenix, AZ
    June 5 Greek Theatre Los Angeles, CA
    June 6 Concord Pavilion San Francisco, CA
    June 10 Wells Fargo Arena Des Moines, IA
    June 11 Xcel Arena St. Paul, MN
    June 13 First MidWest Bank Amphitheatre Chicago, IL
    June 14 Bradley Center Milwaukee, WI 5/1,
    10 a.m.
    June 16 Blossom Music Center Cleveland, OH
    June 17 DTE Energy Center Detroit, MI 4/28,
    10 a.m.
    June 20 Camden Tweeter Waterfront Amphitheatre Philadelphia, PA (Camden, NJ)
    June 21 Saratoga Performing Arts Center Saratoga, NY
    June 22 Madison Square Garden New York, NY *
    June 24 PNC Amphitheatre Holmdel, NJ *
    June 25 PNC Amphitheatre Holmdel, NJ *

* Only 3 NY/NJ area appearances- too big a venue to really appreciate this type of show- but we'll see how it goes....
    platessmall.jpg
    bumped for the west coasters
    platessmall.jpg
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Bathgate, thanks for that great writeup of your experience!

When are tickets going on sale? (And somewhere else besides ticketmaster? none of the announced dates even show up on their stuff) I try to see Bruce at least once per tour, and I'm hoping for Saratoga.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
    Oddly enough, no onsale dates have been announced as of yet , besides the ones listed there on that list I enclosed .
    ( OH, WI, IN, & MI )
    I suggest you keep a close eye on http://www.backstreets.com on the tour/ticket page.( under news )
    This is really some show- i hope you're able to get tickets .

Again, if someone is going to hear Born To Run, Rosalita , Born In The USA, you will be letdown .
    He does reinvent a few oddities- redone and rearranged Springsteen classics - but you wont even recognize them ! He did Adam Raised A Cane, You Can Look But You Better Not Touch, to name a few , -- all different from the norm and different from what our ears are used to .

You will undoubtebly enjoy it if you like Bruce.

Enjoy !
    platessmall.jpg
    Bathgate66 wrote:

that's awsome, you totally stand out with the Yeild hat, that kicks ass!
  • Low_Light03Low_Light03 Posts: 1,227
    Bathgate66 wrote:

Nice to see a Pearl Jam fan presence. You had a great view of the Boss.
    If You Give, You Begin To Live

But You Might Die Trying
    some shots i took at sunrise of the venue

DVC00718.jpg
    DVC00721.jpg
    DVC00719.jpg
    platessmall.jpg
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    Oddly enough, no onsale dates have been announced as of yet , besides the ones listed there on that list I enclosed .
    ( OH, WI, IN, & MI )
    I suggest you keep a close eye on http://www.backstreets.com on the tour/ticket page.( under news )
    This is really some show- i hope you're able to get tickets .

Again, if someone is going to hear Born To Run, Rosalita , Born In The USA, you will be letdown .
    He does reinvent a few oddities- redone and rearranged Springsteen classics - but you wont even recognize them ! He did Adam Raised A Cane, You Can Look But You Better Not Touch, to name a few , -- all different from the norm and different from what our ears are used to .

You will undoubtebly enjoy it if you like Bruce.

Enjoy !

I do like him - I saw him first in 1978 in Houston Texas, if that gives you any idea :) Actually I'd probably be dead if I hadn't discovered his music in 75. Saw him last year in Albany on the Devils and Dust tour.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
    from http://www.backstreets.com/news.html

News updated April 27, 2006

TICKET ALERT: U.S. ON-SALES BEGIN FRIDAY, 4/28
    While we're still awaiting on-sale information for more than half of the U.S. leg, tickets for some U.S. dates will be available shortly, beginning with Indianapolis and Detroit tomorrow morning. Los Angeles tickets go on sale Saturday 4/29, with Milwaukee on Monday 5/1. See our Tour/Ticket Info page for specifics; keep an eye there and on Ticketmaster.com as more on-sale dates roll in.

May 27 TD Bank North Garden Boston, MA
    May 28 Nissan Pavilion Washington, DC
    May 30 Germain Amphitheatre Columbus, OH 5/5,
    10 a.m.
    May 31 Verizon Amphitheatre Indianapolis, IN 4/28,
    10 a.m.
    June 3 Glendale Arena Phoenix, AZ
    June 5 Greek Theatre Los Angeles, CA 4/29,
    10 a.m.
    June 6 Concord Pavilion San Francisco, CA
    June 10 Wells Fargo Arena Des Moines, IA
    June 11 Xcel Arena St. Paul, MN 5/6
    June 13 First MidWest Bank Amphitheatre Chicago, IL
    June 14 Bradley Center Milwaukee, WI 5/1,
    10 a.m.
    June 16 Blossom Music Center Cleveland, OH
    June 17 DTE Energy Center Detroit, MI 4/28,
    10 a.m.
    June 20 Camden Tweeter Waterfront Amphitheatre Philadelphia, PA (Camden, NJ)
    June 21 Saratoga Performing Arts Center Saratoga, NY
    June 22 Madison Square Garden New York, NY
    June 24 PNC Amphitheatre Holmdel, NJ 5/6,
    9 a.m.
    June 25 PNC Amphitheatre Holmdel, NJ 5/6,
    9 a.m.

Please note: Backstreets does not sell tickets, and cannot advise as to the best method of obtaining them. We'll provide as much information and links on this page as possible to help inform fans as to what shows go on sale when, and how. If you don't get lucky when tickets go on sale, or if you have extra tickets that you'd like to get in the hands of other fans (by trade, or for face value), please check out BTX: The Backstreets Ticket Exchange. We established these scalping-free message boards to help fans help each other get in the door. Please read the policies and instructions on BTX carefully and make sure you're posting in the proper forum to help keep things running smoothly, and we hope it helps!
    platessmall.jpg
    http://music.aol.com/songs/new_releases_full_cds.adp

http://news.aol.com/entertainment/music/articles/_a/bruce-springsteen-gets-folkie-with/20060424072709990001

Bruce Springsteen Gets Folkie With 'Seeger Sessions'
    AP
    ASBURY PARK, N.J. (April 23) - Bruce Springsteen , rock 'n' roll icon, stands on a cramped Jersey shore stage surrounded by 16 musicians. There's a fiddle, a banjo, a tuba, an accordion - and not a single electric guitar.

Bruce's New Tunes:
    Listen to 'Seeger Sessions'
    'Pay Me My Money Down'

Boss By the Numbers:
    · Six Degrees of Bruce
    · Eleven Essential Facts
    · The Making of 'Sessions' and More
    · Buy Boss Concert Tickets Did You Know:
    Wynton Marsalis wrote to Springsteen to ask him to play Jazzfest.

Talk About It: Post
    The music swells, a glorious noise, as Springsteen leans into the microphone and sings a familiar song: "He floats through the air with the greatest of ease, the daring young man on the flying trapeze."

The vintage tale of a high-flying, womanizing circus star is followed by "Poor Man," a reworking of a Blind Alfred Reed song from the 1920s. This is the music of the moment for Springsteen: folk songs from decades past as he releases an album of songs culled from the Pete Seeger catalogue.

Bob Dylan once went electric. This is Springsteen going eclectic.

"The songs have lasted 100 years, or hundreds of years, for a reason," Springsteen explains in a spartan dressing room after rehearsing with his new big band. "They were really, really well-written pieces of music.

"They have worlds in them. You just kind of go in - it's a playground. You go in, and you get to play around."

Meet the Old Boss

Springsteen Live
    Check out vintage video of 'the Boss' from his early 'Born
    to Run' days.

"We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions" arrives Tuesday, with a tour to follow (including a trip to New Orleans for the Jazz and Heritage Festival). Springsteen, still damp with perspiration from his rehearsal, sat backstage for a 40-minute interview with The Associated Press that covered his musical past, present and future.

The new album is Springsteen's most sonically surprising since the spare "Nebraska" in 1982. Springsteen compares its variety with his second album, "The Wild, The Innocent and the E Street Shuffle," where the music veered from straight rock ("Rosalita") to jazz ("New York City Serenade") to oompah ("Wild Billy's Circus Story").

Leaning back on a couch, Springsteen said he was intent on getting out more music, including a group of songs already written for the E Street Band and a follow-up to "Tracks," his collection of unreleased studio cuts. He was working on the latter before deciding to do the new record.

"After a long time, you get a lot more secure about what you're doing," Springsteen said between sips from a bottle of water. "I spend much less time making decisions. Incredibly less. It used to be, like, there's a line in a song that I sang a certain way.

"I might mull it over for three days. Maybe longer, right? Now, you know, it's very different. I realize it's not necessary. You know your craft better."

"The Seeger Sessions" featured Springsteen making an album in record time. The rock Hall of Famer, who in the past went years between releases, did the new album in three days. The 13 songs, plus two bonus tracks, were recorded inside the living room of a farm house at Springsteen's New Jersey home - with the horn section playing in the hall.

There were no rehearsals, no arrangements, no overdubs. Springsteen wasn't even sure if the results would become an album.

"It was just playing music," Springsteen said of the sessions. "I didn't have any intention for it. I knew that I enjoyed making this kind of music. ... It was really just purely for the joy of doing it. It was a lot of fun."

Springsteen, 56, is coming off a busy year when he toured extensively behind his Grammy-winning solo album "Devils & Dust." Last year also marked the 30th anniversary of "Born To Run," the classic album that turned the local hero into a worldwide star.

Springsteen first connected with the Seeger songboook in 1997, when he recorded "We Shall Overcome" for a tribute album. His interest grew as he delved into the material - sturdy songs like "John Henry," "Erie Canal" and "Oh Mary, Don't You Weep."

"I wasn't aware of the vast library of music that Pete helped create and also collected," said Springsteen, who was more familiar with the work of Woody Guthrie. "Just this whole wonderful world of songwriting with all these lost voices. Great stories. Great characters."

Like Seeger, Springsteen is well-known for his role as a social activist. In 2004, Springsteen campaigned for John Kerry and criticized the Bush administration for bringing the country to war in Iraq. He's been a longtime advocate for local food banks, and played benefits for union workers, flood victims and other causes.

Seeger paid a heavy price for his beliefs. During the McCarthy era, he was summoned by the House Committee on Un-American Activities as it investigated supposed subversive influences in entertainment. He refused to cooperate and was blacklisted for the next decade.

So was releasing an album of Seeger's songs during President Bush's second term a political statement?

"I'll let somebody else sort that part of it, I guess," Springsteen said. "But a lot of 'em seem pretty applicable, you know? `Mrs. McGrath' is basically an Irish anti-war song, but it's ripped right out of the headlines everyday today."

The songs once sung by Seeger "shine a continuing light on a whole set of not just wonderful stories, but obviously a lot of social issues, the direction the country is going down," he continued. "There's still a place for a lot of that music."

Once Springsteen decided to forge ahead with the project, he called Seeger with the news. Seeger asked which songs would be on the record.

"He'd start giving me the history of each song," Springsteen said. "He actually knows about all those things. So it was an enjoyable conversation, and I hope he likes the record."

Springsteen had no concerns about audience reaction to his foray into a new musical landscape. He expects "the adventurous part of my fans" will enjoy the album. And he considers change a requirement for any successful musician.

"Your job as an artist is to build a box, and then let people watch you escape from it," Springsteen explained. "And then they follow you to the next box, and they watch you escape from that one. ... Escape artistry is part of the survival mechanism of the job.

"If you want to do the job well, you have got to be able to escape from what you've previously built."

There's one other major difference between "Seeger Sessions" and all of Springsteen's previous work: He didn't write a single song for this project.

"A real pleasure," he said of the break from writing. "Once we put it together, it was like, `Wow. I can make records and I don't have to write anything.' There are thousands of great songs sitting out there waiting to be heard, and I know a way to act as an interpreter on these things."

In between finishing up the album and preparing for the tour, Springsteen was inducted into another Hall of Fame - at his alma mater, Freehold High School. Springsteen, whose mother attended the ceremony, was bemused by the award.

"The high school hall of fame was, I suppose, less expected," Springsteen said between smiles. "I was at best a mediocre student, and I was an outcast. I didn't even attend my graduation. I went back in the middle of the summer and picked up my diploma across a desk and I went home.

"It's a little on the ironic side, I'd have to say. But it was nice."
    platessmall.jpg
    4/26: REHEARSALS WRAPPED; NAWLINS NEXT!
    The fourth and final rehearsal show opened with the debut of a stunning "Long Black Veil," sounding pretty faithful to The Band's rendition; Bruce brought "Adam Raised a Cain" back to the set, dropping "Jesse James," "Erie Canal," and "When the Saints Go Marching In." Closing the show in place of "Saints" was another debut: "The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze." (Seriously. Think "Wild Billy's Circus Story" meets Tom Waits.) But not everything was done with the greatest of ease at this 5:30 show: the lower-energy crowd wasn't quite as "in concert" with the performers (chalk that up to the matinee timing, perhaps), and "Cadillac Ranch" was a Mystery Trainwreck. "We needed to fuck up!" said Bruce after that one, suggesting better now than later -- this was still a rehearsal, after all. And with that out of their system, and the rehearsing behind them, this is a band that's primed and ready for their big New Orleans debut this Sunday.

In a new Associated Press story, Springsteen looks ahead to the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival and says, "We're rehearsing, but we're also thinking, 'What do you want to say to those folks?'" And indeed, throughout these rehearsals, it's been clear to the preview audiences that thoughts of New Orleans hover over the whole proceedings. That begins with the sound itself, which embraces musical traditions from the Crescent City -- in Asbury, Bruce mentioned his band's "debt to that melting pot of R&B and jazz." But it extends to the show's topicality, too. "There's a lot of music we have that cuts right to the heart of what's going on there," Bruce told the Associated Press. "When the Saints Go Marching In," played at three out of the four rehearsals, is an obvious one, but songs like "We Shall Overcome" and "My City of Ruins" are imbued with new meaning post-Katrina, and "My Oklahoma Home" took on modern relevance with Bruce's intro: "The biggest displacement of American citizens since the Dust Bowl has been New Orleans."

The horn-fueled "How Can a Poor Man Stand Such Times and Live?" -- the show's centerpiece, literally and otherwise -- is the most overt reference to the Gulf Coast disaster and its aftermath. On Monday night, Springsteen introduced it by telling the crowd that it's "important that we do what we can to help that area get back on its feet," adding, slightly off-mic, "and force our government to do something about it." On Tuesday, he explained the new twist he put on Blind Alfred Reed's Depression-era song: "I kept the first verse, and rewrote the second three, in true folk fashion." His new lyrics include "bodies floating on Canal," "I got family scattered from Texas to Baltimore," and a not-so-subtly-veiled description of President's Bush's response to the tragedy: "He took a look around and gave a pep talk / Said 'I'll be right here' then he took a little walk..." But Bruce, and the show, manages to avoid any heavy-handedness. What's on its way to New Orleans for its most fitting official debut this weekend is a rousing, hootin', hollerin', joyful noize -- in that great American musical tradition, transforming pain into jubilation.

Cadillac Ranch ???? :eek:
    WOW !
    platessmall.jpg
    live webcast today
    http://music.msn.com/music/neworleansjazz?GT1=7702

NEWALINS JAZZ FEST

THE BOSS around 5-6 pm eastern according to http://www.BACKSTREETS.com

enjoy !
    platessmall.jpg
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    live webcast today
    http://music.msn.com/music/neworleansjazz?GT1=7702

NEWALINS JAZZ FEST

THE BOSS around 5-6 pm eastern according to http://www.BACKSTREETS.com

enjoy !
    hey....thanks!
    did anyone check out the webcast?

BRUCE flamed Bush !
    http://video.msn.com/v/us/v.htm?g=312f0735-0a0d-4bcf-9e78-d815dbfa3bad&f=&fg=copy
    There were also
    some very funny moments (BRUCE : "i'm having technical difficulties with my pants " ) LOL ! :eek:

whats so appealing about these shows,alltho so different from what we are used to,...:)
    its so blatantly obvious that every one of the 18 piece band
    are thoroughly enjoying themselves out there.

It's so much fun- you cant help yourself.
    Feel Good Music and good times !:D

Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce!
    platessmall.jpg
    How Can A Poor Man Stand To Live

MP3 format- for those who may be interested.
    this is of yesterdays performance at NOJF

http://www.savefile.com/files/6019514
    platessmall.jpg
    Hey thanks!!! I'm watching and downloading now, thanks for all the Bruuuuuuce!!!
    notes on New Orleans gig from backstreets:

FIRST WE TAKE NEW ORLEANS
    Fresh out of the gate and in the birthplace of their sonic gumbo, Bruce and his new band let the good times roll
    Quite an important night for Springsteen -- when's the last time he really had to prove himself to an audience? Closing out the first weekend of JazzFest, following Elvis Costello and Allen Toussaint, it was to a decidedly non-partisan crowd; Bruce wasn't preaching to the choir for the first time in a long time, he had a brand new band to boot, and this their first non-rehearsal show. The Seeger Sessions Band was a 20-piece crew again tonight, with all six horns, and as one longtime fan told us -- fascinated to watch them win over the non-Bruce crowd -- "they sold some records tonight!" Yes, on this humid New Orleans evening, Bruce and his band more than met the challenge, playing the sun into the ground for a two-hour set that had the slow-to-come-along crowd eventually eating out of the palm of his hand. Springsteen was up against the Meters, perhaps the quintessential JazzFest band -- so it's a good thing he turned in a quintessential performance, one which demonstrated exactly why he's got that legendary live rep. Calls of "blow'd away!" came from the audience during "My Oklahoma Home," but it was "Jacob's Ladder" that was probably the turning point when he took control of the crowd. By the encore, he was egging them on as if it were the second false ending of "Badlands." "I ain't feeling the love!" Bruce cried, and the untrained audience poured it on. Earlier in the show, in a quip before show highlight "How Can a Poor Man Stand Such Times and Live?," he dedicated the song to "President Bystander." Springsteen also talked about getting to town the previous day and heading down to the lower 9th: "I saw some things I never thought I'd see in an American city." The emotional "My City of Ruins" that began the encore might as well have been written on that visit; during the song, the whole packed fairgrounds field had hands in the air. Bruce was clearly touched by the spontaneous reaction from this particular crowd; you could see it on his face, and he stepped to the mic and said, "Yes, yes, yes... Yes, yes, yes." "You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch)," the last of only four originals of the night and an obscure one at that, had 'em all going nuts and singing along. And closing the show, naturally, was "When the Saints Go Marching In." Bruce talked about going through an old songbook and finding some verses he hadn't known existed, said they'd play the song "even though there are 100 bands in the city that can do it better than we can," and dedicated the performance to the city of New Orleans. A night to be proud you're a fan. Yes, yes, yes. Next stop: The European tour begins in Dublin on Friday.

Get ready, Dublin- town !

Tickets for the NJ shows at Holmdel go onsale this weekend - good luck to anyone trying !
    platessmall.jpg
    notes on New Orleans gig from backstreets:

FIRST WE TAKE NEW ORLEANS
    Fresh out of the gate and in the birthplace of their sonic gumbo, Bruce and his new band let the good times roll
    Quite an important night for Springsteen -- when's the last time he really had to prove himself to an audience? Closing out the first weekend of JazzFest, following Elvis Costello and Allen Toussaint, it was to a decidedly non-partisan crowd; Bruce wasn't preaching to the choir for the first time in a long time, he had a brand new band to boot, and this their first non-rehearsal show. The Seeger Sessions Band was a 20-piece crew again tonight, with all six horns, and as one longtime fan told us -- fascinated to watch them win over the non-Bruce crowd -- "they sold some records tonight!" Yes, on this humid New Orleans evening, Bruce and his band more than met the challenge, playing the sun into the ground for a two-hour set that had the slow-to-come-along crowd eventually eating out of the palm of his hand. Springsteen was up against the Meters, perhaps the quintessential JazzFest band -- so it's a good thing he turned in a quintessential performance, one which demonstrated exactly why he's got that legendary live rep. Calls of "blow'd away!" came from the audience during "My Oklahoma Home," but it was "Jacob's Ladder" that was probably the turning point when he took control of the crowd. By the encore, he was egging them on as if it were the second false ending of "Badlands." "I ain't feeling the love!" Bruce cried, and the untrained audience poured it on. Earlier in the show, in a quip before show highlight "How Can a Poor Man Stand Such Times and Live?," he dedicated the song to "President Bystander." Springsteen also talked about getting to town the previous day and heading down to the lower 9th: "I saw some things I never thought I'd see in an American city." The emotional "My City of Ruins" that began the encore might as well have been written on that visit; during the song, the whole packed fairgrounds field had hands in the air. Bruce was clearly touched by the spontaneous reaction from this particular crowd; you could see it on his face, and he stepped to the mic and said, "Yes, yes, yes... Yes, yes, yes." "You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch)," the last of only four originals of the night and an obscure one at that, had 'em all going nuts and singing along. And closing the show, naturally, was "When the Saints Go Marching In." Bruce talked about going through an old songbook and finding some verses he hadn't known existed, said they'd play the song "even though there are 100 bands in the city that can do it better than we can," and dedicated the performance to the city of New Orleans. A night to be proud you're a fan. Yes, yes, yes. Next stop: The European tour begins in Dublin on Friday.

Get ready, Dublin- town !

Tickets for the NJ shows at Holmdel( and other cities also ) go onsale this weekend - good luck to anyone trying ! http://www.backstreets.com/tour.html
    platessmall.jpg
    3 full performances of Bruce & The Seeger Sessions band are up at MSN.
    "John Henry", "O' Mary Dont You Weep", and "How Can A Poor Man Stand To Live" .
    For any other fans that may be interested and or may have missed these performances.

enjoy !

http://video.msn.com/v/us/v.htm
    platessmall.jpg
    The Boss still plays bar gigs ! This guy is unbelievable!
    & only 3 days before European Shows ( Dublin Friday )
    Thats why he's" The Boss "....

THIS COULD BE THE LAST TIME...
    May 2 brought the fifth -- and final? -- RCDS benefit
    How's this for a gear shifter: just a couple days after he played to 70,000, providing a spiritual lift to New Orleans, Springsteen was back in Asbury Park, playing to a crowd a fraction (of a fraction) of the size and providing a financial lift for his kids' school. Completely different set with a completely different band. Yes, it was Rumson Country Day School Benefit time again tonight, Springsteen's fifth annual shindig for RCDS parents and teachers at the Stone Pony. Now there's a teaching job with fringe benefits -- though with Bruce's kids just about gradumacated, this will likely be the last, as he mentioned a few times during the show. Backed again by Bobby Bandiera's band, who played a couple numbers before Bruce took the stage for the dear departed Wilson Pickett's "634-5789," Springsteen played a mix of originals and covers very similar to last year's set. Patti Scialfa's absence tonight necessitated some changes: Bruce added "From Small Things," brought back the wonderful "Sugar Sugar" from 2003, and broke out a full "Detroit Medley." But Southside Johnny was on hand for "The Fever" and "This Time It's For Real" -- and to yell "I hated school!" -- and once again the show closed with a stagefull of attendees for "Twist and Shout."
    platessmall.jpg
    new poster for Bruce shows onsale this friday:

tourPNC.jpg

& for Boston area fans who may be looking to get tickets this week:
    BOSTON SHOW MOVES TO THE GREAT OUTDOORS
    A venue change for Boston: As the Globe reports, the May 27 show has been relocated from TD Banknorth Garden to the Tweeter Center (formerly Great Woods). The show's onsale date of Friday May 12 remains the same.
    platessmall.jpg
  • Low_Light03Low_Light03 Posts: 1,227
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    new poster for Bruce shows onsale this friday:

tourPNC.jpg

& for Boston area fans who may be looking to get tickets this week:
    BOSTON SHOW MOVES TO THE GREAT OUTDOORS
    A venue change for Boston: As the Globe reports, the May 27 show has been relocated from TD Banknorth Garden to the Tweeter Center (formerly Great Woods). The show's onsale date of Friday May 12 remains the same.

Is that the poster that is included in the Seeger Sessions preorder?
    If You Give, You Begin To Live

But You Might Die Trying
    Is that the poster that is included in the Seeger Sessions preorder?

i'm not certain Low_Light- it quite possibly could be, alltho i found this one on Backstreets.com- the NJ ( Holmdel ) Shows go onsale this Fri- so maybe thats why its up there.
    As a side note , the pictured banjo player ( Mark Clifford ) is the studio musician, but not the Banjo player touring currently with Bruce. That young kid steals alot of the thunder- he is just awesome !
    platessmall.jpg
    http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/story/414497p-350350c.html

Bruce goes country for Pete's sake

Bruce Springsteen is on CMT, reworking Pete Seeger's songs.

BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN: THE SEEGER SESSIONS. Tomorrow, 9 p.m., CMT.

Just as the country music world and Country Music Television think they've dragged all their trappings from the 20th century into the 21st, along comes Bruce Springsteen, of all people, to drag it right back.

Thank God.

To be accurate, Springsteen doesn't really drag country music backward with "The Seeger Sessions," a CD featuring often-countrified versions of songs associated with Pete Seeger.

As Springsteen says, he's "recontextualizing" the songs, arranging and performing them so they sound as fresh as a warm apple pie. It's the way great songs are kept alive over generations: Performers update them to fit the rhythm of the time.

"Erie Canal" here isn't the familiar third-grade singalong. It's an intense tale of a man and his work, yet so melodic it pulls the most jaded listener in.

The high-spirited "Pay Me My Money Down" evokes the spirit of populist country songs like "Eleven Cent Cotton and Forty Cent Meat." "Oh Mary," a traditional black spiritual, reflects the way black-and-white music share more than music marketers would have us believe.

This hour-long special is essentially the DVD that comes with the "Seeger Sessions" package, and that's fine, because the key point is getting it on CMT, where many viewers might not otherwise notice that Bruce Springsteen has made a record of back-porch singalong music.

Ironically, CMT often seems to act as if viewers who would enjoy that style are themselves part of the past. But let's hope not because losing them would cut country off from its deepest roots. Springsteen singing "Pay Me My Money Down" runs on a straight, direct line to Hank Williams singing, "My tires and tubes are doing fine / But the air is showing through."

This hour runs from the exuberant "John Henry" and "Jacob's Ladder" to the pensive ballad "Shenandoah." Between songs, Springsteen talks smartly about why this record exists and the value of the songs.

It's also worth noting that Springsteen isn't the only rock guy visiting CMT these days, or even tomorrow night.

Right after this special, at 10, CMT will break out "Van Morrison: One Night in Nashville," in which Morrison sings four songs from his acclaimed new country album, "Pay the Devil."

With Bon Jovi recently scoring a No. 1 country duet, Mark Knopfler joining Emmylou Harris on another fine country CD and David Lee Roth rearranging Van Halen songs into country forms, it almost feels like the invasion of the classic rockers.

If it keeps good American music alive, which is what Springsteen is doing, we all win.
    platessmall.jpg
  • gusturtlegusturtle Posts: 442
    thanks for the bruce updates!! keep 'em coming.....
    no problem !
    frogwater wrote:
    thanks for the bruce updates!! keep 'em coming.....

frogwater

where from? are you gonna catch any of the shows on this upcoming tour?
    I'm sure you already know that the onsales are beginning this week- fri morning depending where in the country you are located.

good luck !
    platessmall.jpg