Springsteen - Seeger Sessions

Low_Light03Low_Light03 Posts: 1,227
edited June 2006 in Other Music
Just wondering what you guys think about it?? I love it, it's really different than any other Bruce album. Can't wait to see him live this summer.
If You Give, You Begin To Live

But You Might Die Trying
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Just wondering what you guys think about it?? I love it, it's really different than any other Bruce album. Can't wait to see him live this summer.

i certainly CAN wait to see him, and his $100+ tickets...

if there is any band/person i don't have a problem stealing music/downloading from, it's him

the guy's all about greed and does absolutely nothing for his long time loyal fans

http://tinyurl.com/kkfdu

here's why...
  • KricketKricket Posts: 707
    Just wondering what you guys think about it?? I love it, it's really different than any other Bruce album. Can't wait to see him live this summer.
    Yah it is good eh...different yah...I like Old Dan Tucker and Erie Canal, should make for a good outdoor show. I'm gonna try and hit the Pine Knob show.
  • i certainly CAN wait to see him, and his $100+ tickets...

if there is any band/person i don't have a problem stealing music/downloading from, it's him

the guy's all about greed and does absolutely nothing for his long time loyal fans

http://tinyurl.com/kkfdu

here's why...

68????

i got it for 24.99 at best buy
    ~It is better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not - ?~

~You laugh because I am different, I laugh because you are all the fucking same -?~

~Education is the most powerfull weapon you can use to change the world - Nelson Mandela~
  • 68????

i got it for 24.99 at best buy

canadians get $20% exchange rate so the price would be $68 less 20% PLUS SHIPPING

i'll let u do the math :)

bottom line...bruce BLOWS, because of greed

how about last year's $100 ticket fiasco SOLO TOUR was enough to put me over the edge...why does he need to take home 3/4 of a million $$ PER SHOW SOLO?? at the long time loyal fan's expense????

greed is the answer

he doesn't get it.

there are other reasons why i dislike bruce BUT i don't have an hour to tell you them all...

he's got the goods...to bad he doesn't help us fans. EVER :(
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I didn't realize it was out yet - thought the release date was 4/25. In an case I plan to get it. Bruce is one of the reasons I stayed alive through some very dark times. Have loved him since 1975.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Atomic PunkAtomic Punk Posts: 2,941
    I think other people are catching on to his greed as well. Imagine this - he has 4 warm up shows at Convention Hall in Asbury Park NJ...yeah, thats right, ASBURY PARK, NJ...right down the road from the Stone Pony. His adopted home. He is HUGE in NJ as everyone knows. Well, tickets are still available for all shows and the place only holds about 6 thousand tops. Possible reason? $100 a ticket plus TM fees. I could never think a Bruce show at such an intimate venue would go with unsold seats, but here they are. Embarrassing.
  • Low_Light03Low_Light03 Posts: 1,227
    You guys can listen to the whole album before it comes out through http://www.clearchannelmusic.com/cc-common/mfeatures/brucespringsteenSP// it's legal but it has a little voice the backround from time to time that says Sneak Peek or something like that.

But You Might Die Trying
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    canadians get $20% exchange rate so the price would be $68 less 20% PLUS SHIPPING

how about last year's $100 ticket fiasco SOLO TOUR was enough to put me over the edge...why does he need to take home 3/4 of a million $$ PER SHOW SOLO?? at the long time loyal fan's expense????

greed is the answer

he doesn't get it.

there are other reasons why i dislike bruce BUT i don't have an hour to tell you them all...

How do you know he takes home $750,000 per show?

What do you expect him to do to help his fans?

His fan base is aging, and I am sure the majority of them can afford $100 to see him in a small venue. His ticket prices have increased, and, in general, the income of his fans has increased as well.
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    How do you know he takes home $750,000 per show?

What do you expect him to do to help his fans?

His fan base is aging, and I am sure the majority of them can afford $100 to see him in a small venue. His ticket prices have increased, and, in general, the income of his fans has increased as well.

Added to the fact that he made all good floor seats will call only and limited to 2 or 4 to cut back on scalping and protect fans. He is doing the same with this tour.

Also, he always does a number of charity shows, and even his other shows support local foodbanks.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    I think other people are catching on to his greed as well. Imagine this - he has 4 warm up shows at Convention Hall in Asbury Park NJ...yeah, thats right, ASBURY PARK, NJ...right down the road from the Stone Pony. His adopted home. He is HUGE in NJ as everyone knows. Well, tickets are still available for all shows and the place only holds about 6 thousand tops. Possible reason? $100 a ticket plus TM fees. I could never think a Bruce show at such an intimate venue would go with unsold seats, but here they are. Embarrassing.

And the warm up shows are all charity shows...
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • canadians get $20% exchange rate so the price would be $68 less 20% PLUS SHIPPING

greed is the answer

he doesn't get it.

i paid 47.95 + applicable something something last year for his solo show in Hollywood, FL

~You laugh because I am different, I laugh because you are all the fucking same -?~

~Education is the most powerfull weapon you can use to change the world - Nelson Mandela~
  • Low_Light03Low_Light03 Posts: 1,227
    i paid 47.95 + applicable something something last year for his solo show in Hollywood, FL

That's a pretty good price. Was that at the Pantages Theatre??

But You Might Die Trying
  • AstroFanAstroFan Posts: 193
    I've never seen Bruce in concert before, so I'm debating whether or not I want to go on this tour and wait for a tour where he plays more of his own material.
  • That's a pretty good price. Was that at the Pantages Theatre??

Hollywood, Florida Seminole Hard Rock

• gusturtlegusturtle Posts: 442
    yet another incredible album from Bruce. i love it, especially the gospel songs ("mary, don't you weep" and "jacob's ladder")
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    he has 4 warm up shows at Convention Hall in Asbury Park NJ...yeah, thats right, ASBURY PARK, NJ...

For anyone who hasnt been to this venue for a Bruce show, GO !
    These shows are usually very special.
    Tour rehearsals and Christmas Shows usually entail a few special unnamed guests also.
    One year, Elvis Costello held the door open for me into the main Hall , then later on came out & did a few songs w/ Bruce .

greed is the answer

he doesn't get it.

he's got the goods...to bad he doesn't help us fans. EVER

This is just wrong.

FYI :
    The rehearsal shows( and also the Christmas Shows ) go to various charities including Local municipal Fire Departments, and Harvest For Humanity, various Food Banks ( in each & every city that he plays in- and usually accompanies a " publc service announcement" during each of those shows ) as well as local churches .

Half the stuff he donates,
    we dont even hear or know about .

As far as the tickets still not being "sold out"- that is indeed a shock .
    Perhaps the diehard E St Band fans arent flocking as they have in the past to these new band gigs . Also- much like PJ- the more disrable tickets are the GA ( or "pit" area ) at the stagefront. I'm pretty sure the only seats remaining are those of the reserved variety, and all the stagefront GAs have been sold out already .

I'm going with my girlfriend to the rehearsal this Tuesday. Its aways good at Asburys Convention Hall.

The guys from Conans Band ( MW7) are in this band, La Bamba and Marc Pender.
    These guys usually go out into the crowd during songs and start a parade line ( or a " congo" ) line- absolutely blasting their horns,.. very fun and entertaining. ( * not saying that will happen on this new Seeger Tour experience )

enjoy !
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
    hey Bathgate66....make sure to come back on Wed and let us know how the show was :)
    Kricket wrote:
    hey Bathgate66....make sure to come back on Wed and let us know how the show was :)

definitely
    platessmall.jpg
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    As far as the tickets still not being "sold out"- that is indeed a shock .
    Perhaps the diehard E St Band fans arent flocking as they have in the past to these new band gigs . Also- much like PJ- the more disrable tickets are the GA ( or "pit" area ) at the stagefront. I'm pretty sure the only seats remaining are those of the reserved variety, and all the stagefront GAs have been sold out already .

I can't speak for him not selling out there, but not all Bruce fans will go to see this tour. I saw him once on the solo acoustic tour, which I thought was AMAZING, but there were a lot of people on the way out saying how dissapointed they were (because they expected an E Street type show). I like Springsteen a lot, and have seem him a few times, but I wouldn't pay to go to this show because I'm just not that big of a fan of the Seeger music.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • the devils and dust shows were 75/85
    several venues on this tour are listing prices as 45/65/85
    thats really pretty comprable to the namesake of this message board considering hes bringing a 17 piece band. yes BTR was expensive in Canada, but it was 19.99/24.99 in the states, bruce may have no control over canadian prices, maybe canada puts a tarriff on everything that doesn't suck.
    platessmall.jpg
  • Clifwith1fClifwith1f Posts: 143
    I think his ticket prices are pretty reasonable. There are $100 tickets but also some at a lower price level around $60. That's about what Billy Joel charged on his recent tour. The Boss can command these kind of prices because of who he is. He's a legend, he's in the rock and roll hall of fame, and this band is going to put on a rocking show. Also, think about the other 17!!! musicians he has to pay for this tour. It's worth the cost.

I haven't heard the album yet (I'm waiting for the release), but I'm going to try and catch the DC show at the Nissan Pavilion.
    Clifwith1f wrote:
    I think his ticket prices are pretty reasonable. There are $100 tickets but also some at a lower price level around $60. That's about what Billy Joel charged on his recent tour. The Boss can command these kind of prices because of who he is. He's a legend, he's in the rock and roll hall of fame, and this band is going to put on a rocking show. Also, think about the other 17!!! musicians he has to pay for this tour. It's worth the cost.

I haven't heard the album yet (I'm waiting for the release), but I'm going to try and catch the DC show at the Nissan Pavilion.

tonights rehearsal show notes :

AND WE'RE OFF! MUSICOLOGY IN ASBURY PARK
    The first rehearsal show, and the public debut of Springsteen with his 17-piece Seeger Sessions Band. And the first words out of our reporter's mouth after the concert: "Do you like music? Do you like Bruce Springsteen? Then you're gonna love this show." A spirited Dixieland romp, already a success that the '92-93 experiment with other musicians reached for and arguably never achieved. The rehearsal aspect was evident, as Bruce acknowledged, with some rough edges, miscues, and sound problems; but as he directed his stageful of players, under a pair of old chandeliers, it was that rare thrill of music being made right before your eyes -- a glorious noise. A glorious lament, in a way: there was a political edge throughout the night, subtle yet unmistakable, particularly in the three-pack of "Devils & Dust," "Mrs. McGrath" (dedicated to Cindy Sheehan), and "How Can a Poor Man Stand Such Times and Live?" The last of these is a Blind Alfred Reed song from the '20s, covered more recently by Ry Cooder and the Del-Lords. Springsteen took the time to set up many of tonight's numbers, offering some history to introduce songs like "Old Dan Tucker" and "Eyes on the Prize." In all, the band performed eleven songs from the album plus "Buffalo Gals" from the flipside; and six Bruce-penned songs from his catalog: "Johnny 99," "Adam Raised a Cain," "Devils & Dust," "Open All Night," "My City of Ruins," and "You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch)." Bringing the total up to 20 songs (the show started at 7:30, ended at 9:35) were two unreleased covers: the aforementioned "Poor Man," and the show-closing "When the Saints Go Marching In." For another idea of the sound, as another concert-goer told us, "Think 'Walt Whitman's Niece,' from start to finish." Take the weekend to break out your copy of Billy Bragg & Wilco's Mermaid Avenue if you need a refresher... and we'll be back for more on Monday night

im attending tuesday nights rehearsal show and looking forward to it .
    also gonna try for the " free " tix on the GMA show tomm morning !
    :D

enjoy !
    platessmall.jpg
  • Clifwith1fClifwith1f Posts: 143
    Bathgate66 wrote:

im attending tuesday nights rehearsal show and looking forward to it .
    also gonna try for the " free " tix on the GMA show tomm morning !
    :D

enjoy !

That's a great summary. I'm getting excited now. Have fun at the rehersal! Wish I could be there...
    hey Bathgate66.....so how were the shows??? I want details on both :)
    Kricket wrote:
    hey Bathgate66.....so how were the shows??? I want details on both :)

i'm on my way out to Asbury Park NJ right now ! 3:30am, NYC time . Look for me on Good Morning America- ( ABC Network ) its a safe bet i'm the only guy wearing the black YIELD hat .

Later Folks !
    platessmall.jpg
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    i'm on my way out to Asbury Park NJ right now ! 3:30am, NYC time . Look for me on Good Morning America- ( ABC Network ) its a safe bet i'm the only guy wearing the black YIELD hat .

Later Folks !
    whoops I was a day ahead, I'll let you know if I see you ;)
    WOW !

For anyone who has the chance to see Bruce on this Seeger Sessions Band Tour- I'd recomend you RUN- do not walk- to go see thiese shows !Do not go if you are expecting to hear Born To Run and Rosalita- this is a new invention of the Man - and he never ceases to amaze !

For the morning segment & Good Morning America we arrived around 5 am, stopped for coffee, and made our way to meet some friends that work for GMA ( cameramen ) . They got us VIP credentials and we were allowed into the Convention Hall before the rest of the people who held free tickets that were given out last week thru Ticketbastard. We madeour way into the desginated VIP area and were situated right on the railing in stagefront, just a tiny bit to the left of center( Bruce ) .
    The stage setup was just magnificent ! Mic Stands and instruments everywhere ! The fans were then let in, and they filled the venue asthetically for television purposes . Small segments were left empty, and others were cosmetically filled . " Seat Fillers " is what the people actually were- wheather thery realized it or not was another question- it was all about the television production .
    Bruce arrived around 7:00 am, made a very brief appearance out on stage. He was in a great mood, making all kinds of jokes the entire time . He joked about him not being a morning person and that he admired all the hardcore fans that were before him . He looked literally like he stumbled out of bed, unkept, and he made no excuses about it . He said he had his pajamas under his jeans and that later, he'd go home and get right back into bed . His voice was scratchy and he was dragging . Clearly, he wasnt into it , but oh to sell records .
    Around 7:45 am the full band came out, one by one, and they just kept coming ! Bruce was the last one out , and clearly he had some coffee and his guitar was strapped around his neck .
    They then ran thru 3 songs, that they woulde play for the live broadcast- all off the new album . 1) Old Dan Tucker, 2 ) O' Mary Dont You Weep, and 3 ) Jacobs Ladder .Based on those titles, if you'd think " hillbilly " music, or redneck music- you wouldnt be far off, but its not like that in person .It is a spectacle, and something everyone should witness if given the opportunity .The sound is so powerful, your eyes are going everywhere all over the stage- not wanting to miss a thing, and so much to see at once . Once the live telecast began, it was clearly all coordinated and choreographed . The production manager was all over the place with the headset in her ears, constantly keeping abreast of time and counting down. She would continually tell Bruce 5-4-3-2-1,.. and so on,...afterall- it was a live broadcast.
    Bruce was in a great mood , cracking all kinds of jokes the entire time thru . He was even giving that production lady a hardtime, making all kinds of jokes . Bruces voice was giving him problems, he was gargling onstage with Listerine and was taking coughdrops in between, and then spitting them out once they went live . He even treated us to an improvised " whisteling " song ( sounded like a cowboy theme from old cowboy movies ) and also gave us an extra song " When The Saints Go Marching In " - that were not broadcast on the television show .It was all over and out by 9:05 am .
    It was awesome!!! I was even lucky enough to get one of Bruces' guitar picks--- of course which instantly went to my Girlfriend.

The evening show notes from http://www.Backstreets.com : http://www.backstreets.com/news.html
    4/25, REHEARSAL 3: A 20/20 SHOW
    20 songs, 20 musicians... and mighty sharp
    "Welcome to the evening show! Oh my god were we up early this morning... it was terrible. Everybody's all bright-eyed... I hate that." But any lack of sleep took no toll on the show, which continues to tighten up -- as Bruce said tonight of these rehearsals, thanking the Asbury crowd, "You have honed us into a well-oiled, swingin' machine." Damn skippy. He tinkered with set a bit, opening with a spotlight on Greg Liszt and his banjo for "Jesse James," and switched the order of a few other songs, too. And in the encore, "Turn! Turn! Turn!," sent out to Pete Seeger, took the place of "My City of Ruins." Its first public performance here included a beautiful vocal turn by Mark "Chocolate Genius" Thompson. (Thompson also adds stand-out vox to "Eyes on the Prize" and "When the Saints Go Marching In," which closed the show again tonight.) As for originals, Bruce kept "You Can Look" in its bring-the-house down penultimate slot, and "Mystery Cadillac" and "If I Should Fall Behind" stayed in the set from last night as well. Before the "Fall Behind" waltz, he got a big laugh: "A lot of people tell me they've used this as their wedding song. I'd like to think of it as an emergency preventive divorce song." The band was breaking in its full European horn line-up tonight, and when, mid-set, LaBamba and Mark Pender joined back in as well, we were looking at a six-man horn section and, lordy, 20 people on stage. Thankfully, Bruce's traffic control remains up to the task, for one big, glorious noise. Look out, New Orleans -- just one more rehearsal show to go between them and you. You're gonna like it.

I recomend you all go check out these shows . It is overwhelming- and you are sure to enjoy this show- even if you are not or have not been a huge fan of Bruce- this may just change your mind . It is in the styling of New Orleans Jazz/ Zydecho, & oldtime spirituals and has Jazzy, Blues influence .

Enjoy the Shows !
    platessmall.jpg
  • gusturtlegusturtle Posts: 442
    Bathgate66 wrote:

Later Folks !

I saw you up front on ABC when I was watching GMA! The 'Yield' hat immediately caught my eye.
    frogwater wrote:
    I saw you up front on ABC when I was watching GMA! The 'Yield' hat immediately caught my eye.

thanks man- i have been hearing the very same from a bunch of people !
    Even at the night-time show- a guy i never even saw before comes up to me and says " you were here this mroning, no ?" I said "Yes- as a matter of fact I was".....- he was like " I recognize your hat " ....

LOL

go figure !
    platessmall.jpg